Proper Cunard dress

treasure4two

Good morning Maggie Mou.

In the words of Ol' Blue eyes..."We have, so much in common".

You and JT look gorgeous and certainly know how to dress for Cunard.

Even more, you ain't afraid to show it.

12519702694_f081efe032_z.jpg

Thank you, and I have to say you and your lady look very much the part and I do love the magenta dress. Stunning!.

Hey Maggiemou, I've just seen a good site you'll be interested at looking at on here ( CC) over on the 'Holland & America site'

The Shoe Diva's club !

Check it out, it's right up your street. ;)

Thank you Bell Boy now found it and it is certainly a thread for Maggieshoemou. ;)

Being an ephemera dealer, we call such people collectors of "out of print" brochures. There is a lively group and the brochures and other Cunard memorabilia bring decent $$ in the market place.

When my husband save brochures, I call him a hoarder and throw them out when he isn't looking. :D

To what? Just got off the QM2. Enjoyed it very much, but once is enough. Would like to try the QE, however. Big difference between a cruise and a crossing.

We are doing our first trip on Cunard--a TA on QM2. We have cruised before both TA's and regular cruises. Your comment on cruises and crossings being different caught my eye. Could you explain what you meant? We are enjoying learning more about Cunard.

We are doing our first trip on Cunard--a TA on QM2. We have cruised before both TA's and regular cruises. Your comment on cruises and crossings being different caught my eye. Could you explain what you meant? We are enjoying learning more about Cunard.

Good morning Colonial Inn Keeper.

At the risk of 'speaking out of turn' I'd say the difference in a 'cruise' and 'crossing' is the Queen Mary 2.

It is all about the ethos of the voyage and reliving part of the glamour of what was a traditional voyage before 'cruising' became a fashionable holiday.

If you are in any way like me you will find there aren't enough hours in the day.

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/11/24/solo-trans-atlantic-live-blog-day-5/

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/11/23/solo-trans-atlantic-live-blog-day-4/

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/11/25/solo-trans-atlantic-blog-day-6/

8747676246_d291b2ee7b_z.jpg

Bon voyage.

Your comment on cruises and crossings being different caught my eye. Could you explain what you meant?

Traditionally, the "Crossings" tend to be a little more formal an many aspects.

The liners were also used as a mode of transport, as well as holiday ships. The QM2 keeps that tradition.

For example, there will be three (down from 5) formal nights per week. The entertainment will be a little more highbrow, with more classical concerts, and even Shakespeare plays.

It's hard to actually put your finger on it, but the QM2 just feels different from the QV & QE, but in a good way.

Best to try them all and make up your own mind!

Stewart

Richard and Stewart,

Thank you for your posts. We have done 3 transatlantics on HAL and Princess and have loved all the sea days. And, yes, there are not enough hours in the day to these. We were delighted to see pictures of the library. It is one of the important aspects of what a ship offers for us. It will be fun to explore the QM2 library.

We will be on a jazz cruise coming back to New York and, since my husband really enjoys this, I'm sure we will have more than enough to do. We will have four formal nights and we will enjoy seeing and being part of these evenings.

I will keep up with your blog, SolentRichard. Thank you both. Lauri

The kimonos, saris, kilts etc sound so wonderful! I'm going on my first cruise on RCCL next January but the dress code on Cunard makes me want to book my next cruise with them.

I wonder if my husband could wear a kilt on RCCL?

Of course he can! And on Princess and Celebrity as well!

We are new to Cunard(very excited about cruising on the Queen Victoria July 30-Aug.13) and want to properly dress. We have cruised

on many lines including Oceania, Azamara, Celebrity, and others, but I am hearing the dress codes on Cunard are more formal that those cruise lines. Not wanting to offend anyone and break any dress code rules, I am asking for your help and it will be greatly appreciated. I know for dinner that my husband should wear a jacket and tie and formal nights, a black suit or his velvet jacket. I should wear a dressy blouse and long skirt on formal nights. Is that correct? During the day on the ship, is my husband OK to wear black jeans(no rips or tears in them) or long Bermuda shorts and print shirts or does he have to wear slacks and a polo shirt? Last, when going on tours, can he wear the black jeans or Bermuda shorts and print shirts or does he have to wear slacks and polo shirts? Many thanks for your time.

Donna Jean and Ron

We have just got home yesterday from our first ever cruise / crossing and we're lucky enough to have been on the QM2.

During the day the dress code is relaxed and we saw shorts, jeans and chinos and t- shirts, polo shirts, blouses, dresses and suits. All looked great and there was the odd stand out outfit from national dress to some almost pagan style robes!

Most people we encountered were relaxed, happy and enjoying themselves first with dress code a definite 2nd place as it should be whilst still generally following guidelines.

We saw one gentleman pass through the Golden Lion pub in the evening in, I think , shorts and T shirts and we assume he was on his way somewhere. One other night a couple went to the bar for a drink and he had no jacket on. The bar staff politely remindered him of the dress code. He got a little annoyed and left with his wife but that was that.

Relax and enjoy yourself as you will both be fine.

In our limited experience it's all about enjoying yourself and while we enjoyed the evening dress coded and elegant experience it seemed that our pleasure came well before any tightl enforced dress code with 99.9% of people respecting each other and the general ship rules.

Have fun , Cunard and the QM2 are fantastic

We have just returned from a cruise on QV and even though we had a fantastic cruise was somewhat disappointed with the dress code on occasions. Whilst it is only my personal opinion and others may not agree we were disappointed to see men coming to afternoon tea in the Queens Room, a great experience, dressed in shorts. One night we went to the Commodore Club for pre-dinner drinks prior to our dinner at 8-30pm to find people still in there drinking who had obviously been in there most of the afternoon because they were dressed in very casual clothes and made it well known at 7-30pm that they should go and get ready for dinner. It clearly stated in the Daily Programme that the evenings dress code should be adhered to and also on the entrance to Commodore Club but these people were certainly not made aware or even asked to leave the bar at 6pm and drinks were still being served up until 7-30pm. Even on P&O I have seen people been asked to leave Crow's Nest at 6pm because they are not adhering to the dress code and in Planet Bar refused to be served because they were not wearing a jacket. If P&O can do it why cannot Cunard who I always thought were more formal which is what we like and want.

majortom10,

That is exactly the difference between a Cruise and a Crossing on the 'QM2'.

Your Q.Victoria cruise sounds as if it was a fly cruise ? ( on other words did you join the ship somewhere in Europe ? )

These 'fly cruises' where people embark in Europe have often been an issue with some of us seasoned Cunarders, re evening dress codes.....However, at the end of the day ( or evening ;) ) in reality, almost 90% of the guests will still make an effort and every evening is a sense of occasion.

Re folk not conforming to dress codes after 6.30pm, ...Bar/Restaurant staff on Cunard Line are always on the ball ! polity reminding guests of the correct dress code ..... But in reality that doesn't mean that a guest will always conform. Just because you didn't hear it, doesn't mean a crew member hasn't mentioned it.

majortom10,

That is exactly the difference between a Cruise and a Crossing on the 'QM2'.

Your Q.Victoria cruise sounds as if it was a fly cruise ? ( on other words did you join the ship somewhere in Europe ? )

These 'fly cruises' where people embark in Europe have often been an issue with some of us seasoned Cunarders, re evening dress codes.....However, at the end of the day ( or evening ;) ) in reality, almost 90% of the guests will still make an effort and every evening is a sense of occasion.

Re folk not conforming to dress codes after 6.30pm, ...Bar/Restaurant staff on Cunard Line are always on the ball ! polity reminding guests of the correct dress code ..... But in reality that doesn't mean that a guest will always conform. Just because you didn't hear it, doesn't mean a crew member hasn't mentioned it.

I can confirm that this was a Southampton roundtrip to the Canaries returning last Sunday.

Sadly a number of people never quite got the message that the sun and the moon do not revolve around them. These are the folks that flout any and all rules that are inconvenient to them personally and then if called out get indignant. Thus has always been so. Only in the old days they were called out more forcefully and were in most cases not invited back.

Glad to hear our newest devote to Cunard and his wife enjoyed their voyage on the QM2.

Edited by Lakesregion

Donna Jean and Ron

We have just got home yesterday from our first ever cruise / crossing and we're lucky enough to have been on the QM2.

During the day the dress code is relaxed and we saw shorts, jeans and chinos and t- shirts, polo shirts, blouses, dresses and suits. All looked great and there was the odd stand out outfit from national dress to some almost pagan style robes!

Most people we encountered were relaxed, happy and enjoying themselves first with dress code a definite 2nd place as it should be whilst still generally following guidelines.

We saw one gentleman pass through the Golden Lion pub in the evening in, I think , shorts and T shirts and we assume he was on his way somewhere. One other night a couple went to the bar for a drink and he had no jacket on. The bar staff politely remindered him of the dress code. He got a little annoyed and left with his wife but that was that.

Relax and enjoy yourself as you will both be fine.

In our limited experience it's all about enjoying yourself and while we enjoyed the evening dress coded and elegant experience it seemed that our pleasure came well before any tightl enforced dress code with 99.9% of people respecting each other and the general ship rules.

Have fun , Cunard and the QM2 are fantastic

Excellent news and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Exactly the same happened on a recent P&O cruise so it is good to know some cruise lines still maintain standards.

Sadly a number of people never quite got the message that the sun and the moon do not revolve around them. These are the folks that flout any and all rules that are inconvenient to them personally and then if called out get indignant. Thus has always been so. Only in the old days they were called out more forcefully and were in most cases not invited back.

Glad to hear our newest devote to Cunard and his wife enjoyed their voyage on the QM2.

There used to be a great expression that applied to those undesirables - blackballed.

I well remember a time in the Princess Grill when a particularly nice lady was travelling with her teenage son. She complained on the first evening that her son was refusing to wear the formal wear she had bought him.

On leaving the Grill that evening myself and the other gentleman on the table (it was a table for 6) joined the son in the Gents.

The following evening mum was delighted that the table was fully formally dressed.

:):)

There used to be a great expression that applied to those undesirables - blackballed.

I well remember a time in the Princess Grill when a particularly nice lady was travelling with her teenage son. She complained on the first evening that her son was refusing to wear the formal wear she had bought him.

On leaving the Grill that evening myself and the other gentleman on the table (it was a table for 6) joined the son in the Gents.

The following evening mum was delighted that the table was fully formally dressed.

So you blackballed him in the gents toilet.

Oh dear.

David.

That's why I don't cruise Cunard.

It's also why I won't sail any other line. One person's paradise is another person's hell. Fortunately we have choices and I'm glad Cunard still provides the choice of traditional decorum for those of us who appreciate it.

Talk like this is what has me considering cancelling my FIFTY THREE nights on board. I have every intention of dressing up, but the pettiness and unkindness that goes along with any talk of dress has me fearing that Cunarders are people I'd rather not encounter in real life. We sailed back in 2008 and had a lovely time, but perhaps things have devolved in recent years. With everyone's talk of dress, I find it disappointing that there seems to be little regard for avoiding pettiness. Final payment is first week of June. It's not looking good. I can't imagine Cunard would appreciate having a vocal contingent that is so unwelcoming and unfriendly. Not a way to fill berths.

I suspect Solent Richard is joking, I sincerely hope that nobody would behave like that anywhere these days.

Please don't be put off, I have never encountered unwelcoming or unfriendly behaviour on a Cunard ship.

Edited by Host Hattie

Talk like this is what has me considering cancelling my FIFTY THREE nights on board. I have every intention of dressing up, but the pettiness and unkindness that goes along with any talk of dress has me fearing that Cunarders are people I'd rather not encounter in real life. We sailed back in 2008 and had a lovely time, but perhaps things have devolved in recent years. With everyone's talk of dress, I find it disappointing that there seems to be little regard for avoiding pettiness. Final payment is first week of June. It's not looking good. I can't imagine Cunard would appreciate having a vocal contingent that is so unwelcoming and unfriendly. Not a way to fill berths.

Last year I spent 60 nights on board from Sydney to Southampton and the year before 56 nights going down to Sydney. On both trips I did not want to get off in the end. I had such a great time and I travel on my own. Everyone was so friendly and everyone adhered to the dress code, so I am sure you will have a wonderful time. If people do not like the dress code there are plenty of other cruise lines they can travel on.

Enjoy your cruise

We are eyeing a crossing in the next year or two. Dumb question but can I get away with wearing one dark suit all week (with multiple ties/shirts)? I literally only own one and carrying two suits on our two-week English trip prior to sailing seems a bit excessive to me to carry around.

/ducks

Last year I spent 60 nights on board from Sydney to Southampton and the year before 56 nights going down to Sydney. On both trips I did not want to get off in the end. I had such a great time and I travel on my own. Everyone was so friendly and everyone adhered to the dress code, so I am sure you will have a wonderful time. If people do not like the dress code there are plenty of other cruise lines they can travel on.

Enjoy your cruise

This is far more promising and a welcoming attitude. We have three voyages planned--Canada/New England this fall, 21 nights on QE next February and 25 nights on QV next March. We are a family of five--so two cabins. I certainly hope to meet kind, like minded people on our voyages. How I wish this board were not rife with negative dress code chatter. The meanness and snobbishness really spoils the feel of the board. It's not an nice image for a new poster to witness. Glad to hear it doesn't spill over to the ships.

We are eyeing a crossing in the next year or two. Dumb question but can I get away with wearing one dark suit all week (with multiple ties/shirts)? I literally only own one and carrying two suits on our two-week English trip prior to sailing seems a bit excessive to me to carry around.

/ducks

That's our plan!