Best way to get from St Peters to Pantheon and the Spanish Steps

EuroFan

Hello, I need help on how to get from St. Peters to the Pantheon and the Spanish Steps.

We are cruisers , arrive in St Peters 11 am ( leave at 16:00 from same place ) and have 5 hours to visit the Pantheon , the Spanish Steps and whatever is between them or close to the area. We like to walk but we have an 11 year old and I also want to enjoy what we see and not run between these attractions.

We visited Rome before and saw St. Peters and Vatican, The Colloseum, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain and Plaza Venezia .

Thank you in advance for any info and opinions !

Click here to be brought to a map showing walking directions from the Vatican to the Pantheon. A friend who just returned from Rome mentioned that the Spanish Steps are being renovated, so you might want to pick a different site to visit.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Hello, I need help on how to get from St. Peters to the Pantheon and the Spanish Steps.

We are cruisers , arrive in St Peters 11 am ( leave at 16:00 from same place ) and have 5 hours to visit the Pantheon , the Spanish Steps and whatever is between them or close to the area. We like to walk but we have an 11 year old and I also want to enjoy what we see and not run between these attractions.

We visited Rome before and saw St. Peters and Vatican, The Colloseum, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain and Plaza Venezia .

Thank you in advance for any info and opinions !

Best time saver option is a taxi.

In addition to taxi, you have several options and here is what I would do given your parameters:

From San Pietro to Pantheon (see route map in Lew's post above):

You can walk from St. Peters Basilica to the Pantheon (takes about 25 minutes). OR you can take a bus (62, 40, 64). You will lose a fair amount of time waiting for the bus so, in view of your short time in Rome, I would walk. (using the bus vs walking would most likely be a 'wash' unless you luckily arrive at the bus stop at its arrival time - bus is not always on time)

Don't miss Santa Maria sopra Minerva church (located right behind the Pantheon) to see Michelangelo's amazing Cristo della Minerva and the beautiful Carafa Chapel (impressive 15th-century frescoes).

From the Pantheon to the Spanish Steps is about a 15 minute walk (check google maps for route - easy & straight forward route).

Spanish Steps: among other things, you can visit Trinità dei Monti & see the Fontana della Barcaccia (Fountain of the Ugly Boat).

It is also a short walk from the Spanish Steps to Piazza del Popolo.

From the Spanish steps, you can catch the metro (Spagna) to Ottaviano and walk back to San Pietro (about 10 mins).

Edited by dogs4fun

Best time saver option is a taxi.

In addition to taxi, you have several options and here is what I would do given your parameters:

From San Pietro to Pantheon (see route map in Lew's post above):

You can walk from St. Peters Basilica to the Pantheon (takes about 25 minutes). OR you can take a bus (62, 40, 64). You will lose a fair amount of time waiting for the bus so, in view of your short time in Rome, I would walk.

Don't miss Santa Maria sopra Minerva church (located right behind the Pantheon) to see Michelangelo's amazing Cristo della Minerva and the beautiful Carafa Chapel (impressive 15th-century frescoes).

From the Pantheon to the Spanish Steps is about a 15 minute walk (check google maps for route - easy & straight forward route).

Spanish Steps: among other things, you can visit Trinità dei Monti & see the Fontana della Barcaccia (Fountain of the Ugly Boat).

It is also a short walk from the Spanish Steps to Piazza del Popolo.

From the Spanish steps, you can catch the metro (Spagna) to Ottaviano and walk back to San Pietro (about 10 mins).

Great info, thanks !

Do you think I can squeeze Trevi fountain in ? I read that was restored and would like another look 😊

Great info, thanks !

Do you think I can squeeze Trevi fountain in ? I read that was restored and would like another look

Absolutely - easy to sqeeze in! (It has been completely restored.) It is on your way from the Pantheon to the Spanish Steps. Check-out your route on google maps.

Edited by dogs4fun

Absolutely - easy to sqeeze in! (It has been completely restored.) It is on your way from the Pantheon to the Spanish Steps. Check-out your route on google maps.

As dogs4fun said, easy to do! In fact, grab your gelato at the shop on the way past the Pantheon or grab an absolutely delicious coffee granita at Tazzo d' Oro next door (it's a coffee slushee with whip cream, aka panna, on top - amazing!!!). That way you won't be tempted by the gelaterias at Trevi which are horribly expensive and crowded. It's a flat walk and not that bad at all - I'd do that part just about everyday when I was walking down from the Westin or the shuttle stop for the Rome Cavalieri. The uphill starts a little past Trevi, so you'll be fine.

This is awesome info! Thanks everyone! It's going to save me about $50 AND give me freedom to see what I want to see and not just what's on a tour! :)

I was there two weeks ago and would give another thumbs up to walking, but have some euro in your pocket at the end of the day in case you need to get a taxi back to your starting point. It will be hot so make sure you walk on the shady side of the street.

I was there two weeks ago and would give another thumbs up to walking, but have some euro in your pocket at the end of the day in case you need to get a taxi back to your starting point. It will be hot so make sure you walk on the shady side of the street.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So, here is the latest (based on our visit a few weeks ago). The Trevi Fountain is fully restored (and glorious)...which means it drawing huge crowds. But the Spanish Steps are now undergoing major renovations with construction materials (including temporary walls) taking much from the normal fabulous view. For those wanting to see both of these sites we always suggest walking (you must be able to handle long walks) as traffic in the area makes using a bus or taxi a problem. As to getting from the Vatican to this area we also prefer to walk (we love walking many miles a day) but agree, that a faster alternative would be a taxi.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

So, here is the latest (based on our visit a few weeks ago). The Trevi Fountain is fully restored (and glorious)...which means it drawing huge crowds. But the Spanish Steps are now undergoing major renovations with construction materials (including temporary walls) taking much from the normal fabulous view. For those wanting to see both of these sites we always suggest walking (you must be able to handle long walks) as traffic in the area makes using a bus or taxi a problem. As to getting from the Vatican to this area we also prefer to walk (we love walking many miles a day) but agree, that a faster alternative would be a taxi.

Hank

Thanks for the info ! How is the walk from St Peters to the Pantheon ? Sidewalks, nice shops, buildings ? Do you think it's enough time to walk from St Peters - Pantheon - Trevi Fountain - Spanish Steps ( if they are done by July ) and taxi back to St Peters in 5 hours ?!?? We will have lunch too in that time so do you recomend street food or restaurant ?

Thanks !

From St. Peter's (assuming you are dropped off on Via della Conciliazione) to the Pantheon, Trevi, and the Spanish Steps is less than a mile and a half, most of that on pedestrianized streets.

If you walk back from the Spanish steps the total distance will be less than three miles. Not bad if spread out over the entire day.

If you are running late or simply don't want to walk back you can get on the metro at the Spanish Steps and take it to Ottaviano, which is about a half mile from your starting point.

From St. Peter's (assuming you are dropped off on Via della Conciliazione) to the Pantheon, Trevi, and the Spanish Steps is less than a mile and a half, most of that on pedestrianized streets.

If you walk back from the Spanish steps the total distance will be less than three miles. Not bad if spread out over the entire day.

If you are running late or simply don't want to walk back you can get on the metro at the Spanish Steps and take it to Ottaviano, which is about a half mile from your starting point.

Thanks ! We only have 5 hours so we'll see ... depends on the weather too I guess.