Passport Stamps

My family is going on a 12 night cruise in the Mediterranean in June. Is there anywhere in port where our kids can get their passports stamped? We're visiting 5 countries and thought it would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Locating a security office at your ports of entry is a great starter but should you not have any luck here's another way to get those souvenirs. Find the local post office and have them stamp a small note book or piece of paper (I've never asked a post office to stamp a passport nor do I know if anyone other than a customs official is authorized to).

You can also have the kids mail themselves a post card from each place they visit with that country's stamp on it. When cancelled, you'll have your official stamp right on top of a local postage stamp.

Make sure that you post those cards from the post office of the country you're in and not from your ship. Stamps only work from the country from which they were purchased and your ship might be in a different country before those cards get ready to be mailed. You will not be receiving any of those cards. Mail handed to a ships reception should not include a postage stamp. A postage stamp will be added when the ship gets around to mailing them and will only show the country from which your cruise ended (you'll see a charge for the stamp on your final bill).

Edited by Magnum60

• 2 weeks later...
....I've never asked a post office to stamp a passport nor do I know if anyone other than a customs official is authorized to...
Putting anything other than an official immigration stamp or visa in a US passport renders it 'damaged' and invalidates it. Same as if your two year old scribbles all over it in marker pen, or the dog chews it up, or if you accidentally put it in the laundry.

• 2 weeks later...
The cruise and will MAYhold your passports. There are no international requirements when going within the EU.

I like the idea of postcards.

It all depends on the cruise line and the ports involved, in order to speed clearing of the ship. Each cruise line does it slightly different. To say they will is not absolutely true.

Edited by CruiserBruce

The cruise and will hold your passports. There are no international requirements when going within the EU.

I like the idea of postcards.

Not true at all. Just finished 21 days on the med and the line only asked to see it at embarkation. In the Baltics only needed my passport in SBP and line did not hold it.

You probably will get just one stamp of the country which you start your European journey. Most offices donot have passport stamps any more since the Schengen agreement started.