dizzy over travel protection/insurance

sockmonkeys

You have to make the decision based on YOUR individual needs. What works for some would be useless for others. Things like your age, private medical coverage, existing health conditions, chance of having to deal with immediate family's health needs etc are what needs to be considered.

I'd start with information on theinsurancestore.Com or insuremytrip.com. Both sites offer great rep service to help you find a coverage that will work if you need it.

A lot depends on how much your private insurance covers. My private insurance covers 50% out of the country which isn't much. The Max Princess insurance covers is $20,000 which also is not much in case of accident or illness. For me, 3rd party insurance is better (allianz)

We have generally found that third party insurance provides better coverage at lower rates than that offered by any cruise line. However, private insurance is based on age as well as the amount of the trip and where you are going. Particularly with the age factor, your costs may be more. Another good point on private coverage is that many plans will provide coverage for a minor free with the purchase of a parent or grandparent policy.

We use Worldwide Trip Protector by Travel Insured International as this is recommended by my TA. The primary reason I buy the coverage is that my medical insurance specifically excludes anything outside the US. You can buy "medical only" policies, but for not a whole lot more you can get coverage that will deal with getting you back home if your trip is delayed for medical reasons, etc. Over many years, we've made 2 small claims--one for visiting that ship's medical center, another for a trip delay due to weather. They were paid exactly as I expected they would be. In fact, on the trip delay claim they even paid for what I said I spent in the vending machine at the terminal (the only place to get food) for which I had no receipt. Each claim was less than $250. The other company that has been recommended to us is Travel Guard. I've purchased them, but never had to make a claim with them.

If you purchase within 14 or 21 days (it varies with company), your plan will often provide pre-exiting coverage at no additional charge. This does not mean only in the covered person. For instance, if my father has heart disease and had a heart attack and I canceled the trip due to his critical situation, they would look at whether his situation was pre-existing.

Most companies provide several levels of coverage. In general, the lowest level is really skimpy. You can typically get the middle level for very little more money and have a great deal more coverage.

insuremytrip.com is a good place to compare coverages.

Edited by moki'smommy

As posted, we use insuremytrip.com to compare independent travel insurance options & many times purchase it directly from the insurance company.

If we're considering purchasing insurance with "cancel for any reason" coverage then I've found the Princess plan to be more affordable. That option is when we might not be eligible for a pre existing waiver even though Princess only issues credit towards a future cruise if ineligible for a covered cash refund.

Another thing we consider is that when booking flights through Princess you don't pay extra to cover the airfare. For example, a $1000 cruise fare & a $1000 Princess EZ Air flight would have the cost based solely on the $1000 cruise fare & would also cover the airfare without paying extra. When booking with an independent insurer the cost would be based on $2000 which would affect the net percentage cost for coverage when comparing it to Princess.

As others have posted, there are many variables & these are some of the things we consider before deciding what is our best travel insurance option.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We've used CSA since DH has pre-existing conditions, and it's worked well for us. We had to cancel a cruise in January, and making the claim was easy with a quick refund. It only covers health issues for the insured and family so it's not for those who might have to cancel for business or other reasons.

Check to see which one is best for you but I would not go without some kind of insurance. My wife got sick on the ship by the time we got home the bill was over 10K.

Tony

This is an example of the reason for coverage. If something awful happened, I could manage to swallow the cost of the cruise (wouldn't be happy, but could do it.) However, a major medical situation on board or in another country could easily be $50K and that I wouldn't want to see!

As posted, we use insuremytrip.com to compare independent travel insurance options & many times purchase it directly from the insurance company.

If we're considering purchasing insurance with "cancel for any reason" coverage then I've found the Princess plan to be more affordable. That option is when we might not be eligible for a pre existing waiver even though Princess only issues credit towards a future cruise if ineligible for a covered cash refund.

Another thing we consider is that when booking flights through Princess you don't pay extra to cover the airfare. For example, a $1000 cruise fare & a $1000 Princess EZ Air flight would have the cost based solely on the $1000 cruise fare & would also cover the airfare without paying extra. When booking with an independent insurer the cost would be based on $2000 which would affect the net percentage cost for coverage when comparing it to Princess.

As others have posted, there are many variables & these are some of the things we consider before deciding what is our best travel insurance option.

Princess insurance never covers pre existing

We like Princess because we can cancel for any reason. We would then get a cruise credit back but that is okay with us.

For other things we have used travel guard and they have been great to work with.

For both policies they have paid our claim ASAP and with no problems.

What ever policy you go with, make sure you read the small print.

You want to be covered for a medical evacuation from a hospital in a small town on the back side of no where to back home.

If you had to pay for this your self, you will think you are being billed for the next moon shot.

We use Med Jet Assist. As long as you are over 150 miles from home and in a hospital they cover. We have this along with our other travel insurance.

Bob

Princess insurance never covers pre existing

Also, many travel insurances are "secondary" Meaning they pay after any other insurance you may have. Primary insurance pays "first" Also, also Princess insurance only covers you for those expenses booked by Princess. If you book your own hotel a few days prior to your cruise. Princess insurance will not cover you should you have an accident there etc. Travelex

Insurance is "primary" Check it out on insuremytrip.com.

And lots of newbies to medicare forget it is not covering you out of the U.S.

Again, talk to someone at the insurance broker sites and get help for your INDIVIDUAL needs. No one can come here and tell you to buy a particular policy....unless you emailed all your financial, health and personal info to them. But you can read here what different types of coverage are offered. Work with a professional who will have the right questions for you and offer choices that actually will do the job if needed.

Edited by eandj

CC peers, what do you suggest, Princess Travel Insurance or suggestions on best travel protection insurance. Cruise departs September from Dover to Roma.

Cheers, SockMonkey:confused:

You might check to see if your credit card has coverage. Ours does and we have used it in the past.

You might check to see if your credit card has coverage. Ours does and we have used it in the past.

Ours has cancellation coverage which is great, but obviously nothing for medical.

My card has cancellation and emergency evacuation included.

What company do you have? Wondering what kind of coverage their evacuation provides. I haven't seen that offered before. Thanks.

Not true. Your condition just has to be stable for 60 days before you buy the insurance.

I didn't take the time to thoroughly research the Princess policy because we don't currently have any trips booked & thanks for confirming that Princess (like just like other insurance companies) does cover pre-existing conditions as long as it's stable for a certain number of days.

Edited by Astro Flyer

CC peers, what do you suggest, Princess Travel Insurance or suggestions on best travel protection insurance. Cruise departs September from Dover to Roma.

Cheers, SockMonkey:confused:

We have had great coverage and service using Princess Travel Insurance (auto upgraded to platinum due to Captain's Circle benefit)

You have to make the decision based on YOUR individual needs. What works for some would be useless for others. Things like your age, private medical coverage, existing health conditions, chance of having to deal with immediate family's health needs etc are what needs to be considered.

I'd start with information on theinsurancestore.Com or insuremytrip.com. Both sites offer great rep service to help you find a coverage that will work if you need it.

The recommendation for checking your needs is indeed valid. We have found that, once retired, we have virtually no offshore coverage, but the Princess Insurance covers doctor visits and meds while onboard ship. Medicare does not cover medications prescribed and taken while outside the USA. That's just one example of what one might look out for,