Life jackets fir Muster Drill?

Wolfhunt

We are sailing Princess for the first time on Friday. For the muster drill do you need to bring the life jackets with you, are they supplied at the drill location, or do you not need to bring them.

The other lines we sailed on you just show up for the drill and don't bring the life jackets, I thought I heard somewhere that Princess requires you to bring them with you to the drill.

Just wanted to check, if they do require you to bring them I don't want to be the one that doesn't just because I am not used to doing that.

I've seen it done both ways on Princess. E.g. with and without requiring the life vests. They seemed to be piloting towards not requiring them to be brought with but more recent cruises reverted back to asking for them.

We are sailing Princess for the first time on Friday. For the muster drill do you need to bring the life jackets with you, are they supplied at the drill location, or do you not need to bring them.

The other lines we sailed on you just show up for the drill and don't bring the life jackets, I thought I heard somewhere that Princess requires you to bring them with you to the drill.

Just wanted to check, if they do require you to bring them I don't want to be the one that doesn't just because I am not used to doing that.

The delightful life jackets can be found in the closets of your cabin and you need to being them with you to the muster drill. You will be required or put them on during the drill for a brief moment.

We got back from the Regal TA a week ago. We had to bring our life jackets to the drill. After the presentation, you put them on so you know how to do it. They make a lot of announcements so you know when/where/how. Even the room stewards are around to make sure you know to take them with.

Remember: They ask that you do NOT put the life jacket on until instructed to do so. I'm always amazed by the number of people who ignore that instruction and fiddle around putting the things on prematurely. (There are also those who try out the whistle... :eek:)

Thanks, I figured I would be so ready and excited for this cruise I would hear the Muster Drill announcement but I would not "hear" any details except the time.

Wait......we can't try out the whistles? :)

Edited by Wolfhunt

The delightful life jackets can be found in the closets of your cabin and you need to being them with you to the muster drill. You will be required or put them on during the drill for a brief moment.

And bring your cruise card because they scan it at the muster drill.

Thanks, I figured I would be so ready and excited for this cruise I would hear the Muster Drill announcement but I would not "hear" any details except the time.

Only try out the whistle if your Medical Shot Record is up to date. :D

The only way I would put that germ infested thing into my mouth is if I was in the sea and needed to blow it to save my life. The whistle has been handled by about a bazillion people. Bleh.

You can try the whistle....but you never know where or who's mouth that was in...EWWWW!:eek:

Remember: They ask that you do NOT put the life jacket on until instructed to do so. I'm always amazed by the number of people who ignore that instruction and fiddle around putting the things on prematurely. (There are also those who try out the whistle... :eek:)

That would be me the 47 yr old kid....LoL:D. I can hear my wife yelling at me now "Knock it off, your embarrassing me." Play young, Stay young!

Edited by Alaskan Joe

The only way I would put that germ infested thing into my mouth is if I was in the sea and needed to blow it to save my life. The whistle has been handled by about a bazillion people. Bleh.

The drill is the first day of the cruise, so how long can the previous cruisers germs live on the whistle ?????

Last month we did our first Princess cruise since the 90's -- the muster drill was kind of nostalgic -- the other lines we sail stopped requiring life jackets at the muster drill many years ago.

not a complaint, just an observation

Loved Princess -- we'll be back in September :)

Yes you must bring them.

That would be me the 47 yr old kid....LoL:D. I can hear my wife yelling at me now "Knock it off, your embarrassing me." Play young, Stay young!

Alaskan Joe, You keep playing with that Whistle (RIP) LOL. :D :D

Good for you Joe stay Young. The next time I hear the whistle I will look for you.

Tony

The Patter (the daily newsletter) will tell you when to expect the muster drill and will give you instructions about carrying your life jacket to your station. Look on the back of your cabin door and there will be info about where to go to for your drill.

We have always been told to bring our jackets on Princess....so we make sure the straps are tucked in so they don't pose a hazard and then go with our cabin cards and the jackets to the lounge we're assigned to. On some cruise lines the drill is held outside...I much prefer the Princess way: you're more comfortable and you can actually hear the instructions.

Every Princess cruise we have been on, we had to bring our life jackets to the drill. Carnival for one does not require you to bring it which makes it a lot easier.

Confession: I did blow the whistle one time several years ago on another cruise line which I will not name but started with R and ended with L. That was when we all had to assemble at our stations on the outside deck wearing the life jackets. It was hot that day and we were just standing there waiting.

I kind of get needing to try the preserver out since it's hard to know if one would know how to put it on. That being said, I wonder how many would truly remember and I would also think many of the crew would be around to instruct when and how to put it on if the circumstances call for it. Maybe it's done to more or less have people know where the LP's are in the cabin??

However, if one didn't need to bring it to muster, it would help reduce that mass exodus back to ones cabin after the muster.

I kind of get needing to try the preserver out since it's hard to know if one would know how to put it on. That being said, I wonder how many would truly remember and I would also think many of the crew would be around to instruct when and how to put it on if the circumstances call for it. Maybe it's done to more or less have people know where the LP's are in the cabin??

However, if one didn't need to bring it to muster, it would help reduce that mass exodus back to ones cabin after the muster.

In a true emergency there may not be a crewmember to instruct each passenger...at least I wouldn't depend upon that happening. Videos from the Concordia show the chaos that can ensue in a life threatening emergency.

I prefer to repeatedly practice emergency procedures to improve the odds of responding appropriately & the mass exodus to our cabins isn't an issue for me. Having a career where training was frequently provided is essential to responding properly when things hit the fan. Training doesn't ensure an appropriate response but it kicks in when an immediate response is required.

Edited by Astro Flyer