7 night RT balcony or b2b inside cabin??

5th day

We're planning our 1st Alaska cruise for next May. We're considering either a 7 night RT Vancouver aft balcony...or a 2 week b2b inside cabin. Any recommendations, pros/cons would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I'm also preparing for my 1st Alaskan cruise so I certainly can't give any advice - I haven't experienced the pros / cons.

But have you done any cruise before? If so, which kind of cabin did you have? If you've never had a balcony before, maybe you wouldn't miss it. My favorite advice I've ever seen on these boards is that you can self upgrade from an interior room to a window room just by leaving the tv on the channel that broadcasts the view from the bridge.

My personal values are that I'd rather spend 2 weeks mostly on deck and enjoying all of the programs than half as much time thinking I need to stay in my room and enjoy the luxury. Plus, I wouldn't have to worry as much that I was picking the wrong excursions or missing a chance to see something in each port, or be rained/fogged out as I'd have double the time.

But it's definitely a personal preference question, I guess.

Personally, I could not sail Alaska without having a balcony. I generally avoid inside cabins anyway since I tend to feel very claustrophobic when I'm in them.

Be that as it may, the chance to spend 2 weeks in Alaska would be glorious. There's so much to see and do, the extra would allow you to do quite a bit. So if an inside cabin does not bother you, go or it.

A round trip, back to back, would be the FAR superior itinerary. Not just the length of the cruise, but everything that you could see and do.

The thing is, I just do not think I could even consider spending two weeks in an interior cabin. I don't think I could do it.

On the Coral (and the Island, which had the huge re-fit) the cheaper obstructed ocean views are very obstructed.

As a compromise, how about a back-to-back in a full ocean view.

We have not sailed, but we are booked into one of the full OV cabins that is layed out like a balcony cabin, with a very large picture window.

Happy Planning!

No question that a balcony is nice, however with Alaskan weather you would be surprised how little they are used. Frankly, given the 2 options I would go for the b/b and inside cabin. The inside is going to force you out on to the deck and walking around the lounges where you are going to see all of the scenery that Alaska offers.

Personally, I would never sail an inside cabin again. This time we are lucky and are getting to go along for the ride in a Penthouse. After my first cruise, I would say a balcony is a must. That being said. Shop around, you might find the perfect cruise cheaper than you thought.

Hi, I'm also preparing for my 1st Alaskan cruise so I certainly can't give any advice - I haven't experienced the pros / cons.

But have you done any cruise before? If so, which kind of cabin did you have? If you've never had a balcony before, maybe you wouldn't miss it. My favorite advice I've ever seen on these boards is that you can self upgrade from an interior room to a window room just by leaving the tv on the channel that broadcasts the view from the bridge.

My personal values are that I'd rather spend 2 weeks mostly on deck and enjoying all of the programs than half as much time thinking I need to stay in my room and enjoy the luxury. Plus, I wouldn't have to worry as much that I was picking the wrong excursions or missing a chance to see something in each port, or be rained/fogged out as I'd have double the time.

But it's definitely a personal preference question, I guess.

My sentiments exactly. If I booked a balcony cabin, I'd feel like I had to park my butt on the balcony to get my money's worth! :D

I booked b2b one-way cruises on Radiance of the Seas for May 2017. My first cruise will be in an inside cabin, and the second will be in an oceanview. I have had only insides and oceanview cabins on 4 previous Alaska cruises, and I didn't mind them at all. I'm really looking forward to twice the opportunities to do different tours in the ports, as well as to see Hubbard Glacier twice.

HAL has a 2 week cruise that includes some less visited ports.

Or with 2 weeks, why not a one-way cruise plus a week exploring with a rental car or train/bus. That allows you to experience the coast AND interior of Alaska.

HAL has a 2 week cruise that includes some less visited ports.

Or with 2 weeks, why not a one-way cruise plus a week exploring with a rental car or train/bus. That allows you to experience the coast AND interior of Alaska.

Good suggestions! NCL Sun also has a nice 14-night itinerary. It doesn't go as far into Alaska as the HAL cruise, but it goes to all 3 glaciers, 5 Alaskan ports, and several Canadian ports: https://www.ncl.com/cruises/14-day-ultimate-alaska-from-san-francisco-SUN14SFOASTKTNJNUSGYICYSITPRRNNOVAN?numberOfGuests=4294915774&ships=4294963203&state=null&sailmonths=4294905725&destinations=4294934553&itineraryCode=SUN14SFOASTKTNJNUSGYICYSITPRRNNOVAN

Totally agree with Mapleleaves. One week by ship, one week by land (rental car) If possible do the land based trip first & relax & enjoy the ship on your return. We did this last year our first time to Alaska via cruise. Lots of good information on this board on how to do it. You will see a lot more of Alaska.

Few roads in the state, you will not get lost. We would have missed many exciting adventures & wildlife without the land portion. We are in our mid 60's.

Happy Travels, John

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. It was my first post and it was so fun and helpful to read your insights and advice. We've cruised before in both inside and balcony and always had a great trip. Whichever way we decide, it'll be amazing to see Alaska!

Thanks again

I've been to Alaska 4X - once in an inside, 2X in OV's, 1X balcony. I've had a great time in all of them. I like longer cruises, especially in Alaska where it's go, go,go, so having extra time to do what you want would far outweigh not having a balcony or outside view, at least for me.

You need to know yourself, like the above posters do. I've always been an inside person and always book the cheapest rooms. My "fun" with the cruise pricing game. I have been upgraded for free a few times, Balcony twice, ocean view 4, not good odds. :)

I greatly enjoy sailing Alaska and HAVE to be outside- but not "confined". I'm moving all over the ship for my views. Yep that will be me running down the deck to the back for my last look at a humpback. :)

This is my travel style.

It is going to be a hard decision if it's a balcony for 7 days or an inside for 14. :) If the cabin doesn't matter- definitely the longer. :) Alaska is so vast and ever changing a single week is just a glimpse of the possibilities. A cruise and mainland touring is an excellent adventure as well (as if you need more in this choice :) ) But I do not agree on the priority of a southbound cruise. Strive to have your travel even. IF you have to "relax" from a mainland trip- it was poorly planned, in my opinion. :) Both directions are equally excellent.

Hi 5th Day.

Alaska is by far our favorite destination. 9-17-16 will be my 10th cruise there. I would take a cabin anywhere just to be on the voyage!

Because we prefer to travel more frequently, we usually choose inside cabins tho we have on occasion had balconies and window cabins. Definitely awesome!

Our trick......be close to outside. Either on the promenade deck near an exit door or on the upper most cabin deck where you are near to outside access.

I've never felt confined in an inside cabin but I will admit, even in Alaska, when we do have a balcony, the door is always open for the great fresh air even during the night. Love the sounds of the ocean.

To me, it's all about location when choosing a cabin. So my vote for you is....... longer cruise in an inside cabin in the best available location.

You will have a fantastic time with whatever you choose!

Barbara

Thanks for the suggestion about getting an inside cabin near an outside deck....that would definitely make it easier to step out and see what's going on. Glad to hear how much everyone that's responded loves Alaska.