Train Shore excursion to Berlin with Silhouette

TeanneTX

Has anyone taken the train from Warnemunde Germany to Berlin through an Celebrity excursion. I don't usually take the cruise line excursions due to their cost but was wondering about this excursion. Since its 3 hrs each way from port to Berlin, I was wondering if its worth the extra money to be on a train vs on the bus with no bathrooms. Without going into any details-having a bathroom available is important and I just found out that the buses don't have bathrooms but they do make one "comfort stop" each way. The trains would have bathrooms, plus they offer coffee and snacks. Just looking for some input from anyone who has taken these excursions. Its about $ 100 more per person but that may be worth it for the comfort. My understanding is that the ship contracts for the train to Berlin. Looking forward to hearing anything yall might say about this.

Teanne

We took the train. It worked very well and was comfortable. You walk off the ship and the train is right there. A local guide on the train told us lots about life in East Germany before the wall fell. The tour in Berlin was excellent. We had time at the wall remnants (Eastside Gallery), Brandenberg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, the Cathedral and the Pergamon Museum, a bus tour of other sites and had lunch in a museum. At the end of the day back on the train to the ship. Very well organized. I recommend it highly.

We took the train. It worked very well and was comfortable. You walk off the ship and the train is right there. A local guide on the train told us lots about life in East Germany before the wall fell. The tour in Berlin was excellent. We had time at the wall remnants (Eastside Gallery), Brandenberg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, the Cathedral and the Pergamon Museum, a bus tour of other sites and had lunch in a museum. At the end of the day back on the train to the ship. Very well organized. I recommend it highly.

Thanks for the input. Was the tour very crowded. What was the train like? I've never been on a train and only on a subway a couple of times. Was it clean. Was it only cruise passengers or were other people on it. Did you feel safe. In Berlin did you get off the bus and actually go see the sights or was it just from the bus and you drive by?

I was born in Berlin and we moved to Canada when I was 6. So went to see the apartment where we lived and the hospital I was born in which was within a block.

Understand German a bit but do not speak it.

You can get along in English as many Germans speak English, especially in tourist spots.

I'd do the train simply because if I know there isn't a bathroom available, it makes me have to go that much more. :D One of the wonderful things of turning 50-ish. :mad:

On the train, you can stand up, move around and walk a little, etc. It's just so much more enjoyable than a cramped bus being herded like cattle from Point A to Point B. German trains run efficiently.

The language is pretty easy to catch on to and if you need assistance from someone in English, ask someone who is on the younger side. They're more likely to speak quite a bit.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

I heard from another poster that the train is an old train that isn't used anymore and that its not air conditioned. We're going in May '17 so a/c might not be a concern but was wondering what the condition of the trains are. I am really leaning toward the train though.

I'd do the train simply because if I know there isn't a bathroom available, it makes me have to go that much more. :D One of the wonderful things of turning 50-ish. :mad:

On the train, you can stand up, move around and walk a little, etc. It's just so much more enjoyable than a cramped bus being herded like cattle from Point A to Point B. German trains run efficiently.

The language is pretty easy to catch on to and if you need assistance from someone in English, ask someone who is on the younger side. They're more likely to speak quite a bit.

I totally agree-the joys of being over 50. haha I'm really leaning more toward taking the train. I do like the idea of being able to stand up and move around. My husband will probably sleep both ways on the train though but not me.

Wonder if they have wifi on the train.

Just another suggestion. When we did this cruise, we flew into Berlin pre-cruise and spent a couple of nights there before heading to Amsterdam. Even with two full days, we did not get to see all that Berlin had to offer. However, the visit was so much more relaxing.

The extra flight segments did not cost a whole lot more. The two hotel nights were minimal.

When we docked in Warnermunde, we toured around there and then took the train to the next city over. Nice day!

Oh, our experience is that those train bathrooms are horrible!

Just another suggestion. When we did this cruise, we flew into Berlin pre-cruise and spent a couple of nights there before heading to Amsterdam. Even with two full days, we did not get to see all that Berlin had to offer. However, the visit was so much more relaxing.

The extra flight segments did not cost a whole lot more. The two hotel nights were minimal.

When we docked in Warnermunde, we toured around there and then took the train to the next city over. Nice day!

We didn't do the Berlin excursion from the Eclipse, but are doing almost exactly what Iamthesea did for our upcoming sailing out of Amsterdam. The difference is that we are in Berlin for 3 nights, then taking the train (1st class early booking for @$65 each) to Prague for 2 nights before flying easyJet for @$70 each to Amsterdam.

Because we used AA ff miles and are flying airberlin rather than AA via London to AMS, we are using the savings from not having to pay the exorbitant fees of around $300 pp each way if we fly thru London to cover lodging and transportation for Berlin & Prague. Our return flight from AMS is on Finnair.

If you 'think outside the box' when planning your time in Europe pre/post cruise, many options will open. Think Paris, Ireland, Switzerland, etc......

I am with you. We did the bus off of Eclipse two years ago and it was the worst day of the cruise. On the bus early, one stop between Warnermunde and Berlin at a truck stop. Same on the way back. No food other than lunch. Forget about eating when you back to the ship, we didn't get back until almost sailaway at 10:00.

And we got a BAD tour guide who told the driver to go to where he wanted to go. Poured rain all day. When we got back to the ship those that had stayed and toured around the port had the best day. Not a single person we talked to said they enjoyed Berlin that way. We saw all the top places but for about three seconds each. Seriously. Some of the major attractions (Checkpoint Charley) were just drive-bys. At some stops only three or four people out of the 55 on the bus got out. Those of us who were younger and fast movers went and took pictures. The tour guide passed out DVDs of photos he had taken earlier and said, "This is what you missed since we had to go so fast."

Do what other suggest, go to Berlin another time. Stay near the port. On a Baltic cruise you will have so many long port days that a leisurely one will be very welcome.

Jim

Edited by DrKoob

Thanks everyone for your input about the tour to Berlin. We will probably never be in this part of the world again so this will be our only chance to see Berlin. We have decided to take the ships tour "Berlin from all sides-by train" and have already booked it. I spoke with Celebrity about the condition of the train and was advised that it is a nice and modern train, clean and will have a/c. They basically said that "this is Celebrity" and they don't do things like tours half way. I've only taken one Celebrity tour (in the Canary Islands) and it was excellent-first class. So I'm going to trust them that this tour will be great too. Sure wish this cruise wasn't a year away-oh well. Guess that gives me lots of time for planning.

Teanne

I envy those of you who can take so much time off for cruises and pre-cruise stays. We just can't do that. DH is seriously pushing it to get 11 days off in a row.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has done the train: What was it like? Did it have a/c? Was it old and clunky or a typical Germany train?

The bus tour certainly sounds miserable.

TeanneTX - My DH would do the same - sleep the whole way regardless of what type of vehicle it was. :rolleyes: Men! Again, envious of those that can sleep anywhere, anytime.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Thanks everyone for your input about the tour to Berlin. We will probably never be in this part of the world again so this will be our only chance to see Berlin. We have decided to take the ships tour "Berlin from all sides-by train" and have already booked it. I spoke with Celebrity about the condition of the train and was advised that it is a nice and modern train, clean and will have a/c. They basically said that "this is Celebrity" and they don't do things like tours half way. I've only taken one Celebrity tour (in the Canary Islands) and it was excellent-first class. So I'm going to trust them that this tour will be great too. Sure wish this cruise wasn't a year away-oh well. Guess that gives me lots of time for planning.

Teanne

Several months ago I posted a question about the difference between the three Celebrity train tours offered from Warnemunde to Berlin, but no one could really answer that question.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2321339

What made you choose "Berlin from all sides" vs the other two tours?

Thanks...

Several months ago I posted a question about the difference between the three Celebrity train tours offered from Warnemunde to Berlin, but no one could really answer that question.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2321339

What made you choose "Berlin from all sides" vs the other two tours?

Thanks...

One of the tours goes to a concentration camp which I didn't want to do. Another train tour was $50 pp more and included a 3 course meal and unfortunately I don't want to waste time in Berlin with a fancy sit down meal-it's just not my thing. So that's why I chose the Berlin from all sides. Plus this tour also includes a short river cruise which I hear is really nice. So that's how I came to that decision.

We enjoyed the train trip and tour of Berlin very much. The train ride was very enjoyable in a small red train that was very quaint to us. The tour included a river boat and bus tour. We had a great lunch and time for shopping. It was along day but worth the time and money. On of the few ships tours we'd recommend. Enjoy!

We enjoyed the train trip and tour of Berlin very much. The train ride was very enjoyable in a small red train that was very quaint to us. The tour included a river boat and bus tour. We had a great lunch and time for shopping. It was along day but worth the time and money. On of the few ships tours we'd recommend. Enjoy!

This sounds like the same tour we're taking. Glad you enjoyed it so much. I could do without the time for shopping and would rather use the time for more sights but thats OK-I'm sure I can find something I just "have to buy" for the grandkids or someone. Shopping will be ok too.

What percentage of your limited tour time was wasted for shopping? Why do ship tours feel that that always have to allow time for shopping? How much of a kickback do you think that the cruise company gets from the shopping stop?

Get the drift of my questions. I set up and do many private tours. I always tell the company that I do not want any time spent on shopping on my tours and I make it clear to the people who join my tours that there will be no shopping time.

DON

What percentage of your limited tour time was wasted for shopping? Why do ship tours feel that that always have to allow time for shopping? How much of a kickback do you think that the cruise company gets from the shopping stop?

Get the drift of my questions. I set up and do many private tours. I always tell the company that I do not want any time spent on shopping on my tours and I make it clear to the people who join my tours that there will be no shopping time.

DON

Hey Don, some people actually like to buy things. I agree, I don't want to waste hours shopping but when I book a private tour, I always ask the guide for a five minute stop at Starbucks so we can grab one of their mugs from that city or country as we collect them. So some shopping is OK. We have other friends who we cruise with that could easily spend that full hour or so shopping. Different strokes. But yes, I do believe that the cruise lines either get kickbacks or something from the shops.

DON

I totally agree about shopping time and long, drawn-out lunch time. I was so frustrated in Florence when our Rome In Limo guide insisted we didn't have time for a quick visit to the Uffizi like we had discussed many times via email prior to going there but we had time to spend 3.5 hours on lunch, shopping and gelato. :mad:

Truly a big disappointment on this trip but I learned a valuable lesson when setting up any private tour: be as specific as you can possibly be and spell out exactly what you want to do and that you do NOT want to waste time doing other things (and list those things!). I hope this will help others get the most out of their private tours.