Internet on harmony

I am on harmony in July for 7 days and just tried to book a 4 device surf and stream Internet package priced at 27.99 per day on the website ( this is advertised as 30% off onboard pricing) . This should be 195.93 but when I put it in the cart and go to checkout it is trying to charge me £232 . Am I not seeing something or is there a glitch ? Is ringing them the only way to resolve this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am on harmony in July for 7 days and just tried to book a 4 device surf and stream Internet package priced at 27.99 per day on the website ( this is advertised as 30% off onboard pricing) . This should be 195.93 but when I put it in the cart and go to checkout it is trying to charge me £232 . Am I not seeing something or is there a glitch ? Is ringing them the only way to resolve this?

Odd that it is about 18% more than what it should be. Is it tax or are they trying to add gratuities to the Internet packages.:eek:

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Is it possible that you are being charged some sort of VAT tax?

Yes that's what I thought but it doesn't work out exactly at 20% ( British vat rate ) - it is actually closer to 18% - like service charge . I was not aware of Internet having either and I have purchased it both in advance and onboard before and have no memory of this happening. I think I will have to make a phone call to clarify.

Yes that's what I thought but it doesn't work out exactly at 20% ( British vat rate ) - it is actually closer to 18% - like service charge . I was not aware of Internet having either and I have purchased it both in advance and onboard before and have no memory of this happening. I think I will have to make a phone call to clarify.

Well, I would not put it past Royal adding gratuity to the internet charge, but it's never happened before.

Wow 27 per day. Man they got a good thing going on the business side of things. Almost adds up to the price I pay per year here in Spain for fiber optic wifi[emoji79]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are Diamond plus in C&A and found that the D+ coupons on our cruise made it far cheaper than the online price with 30% off. Something to think about if you are D+

Sadly not diamond plus but diligently working our way towards it[emoji41]

Is there an email address for crown and anchor I could use to get clarification on this? If the extra is tax then fair enough I will pay it but I would just like to know I am not paying for a glitch!

Sadly not diamond plus but diligently working our way towards it[emoji41]

Is there an email address for crown and anchor I could use to get clarification on this? If the extra is tax then fair enough I will pay it but I would just like to know I am not paying for a glitch!

crownandanchor@rccl.com

As you´re cruising out of Barcelona a 21% VAT will be added to the advertised price. This has been the same for the Allure last year.

steamboats

Thanks steamboats . We are actually cruising out of civitivecchia but I suppose since Barcelona is the main port of embarkation we still get charged Spanish tax. If we had been cruising out of the U.K. Or USA does that mean no tax would be added? Last question I presume if I waited until we were onboard the tax would still be added?

Thanks steamboats . We are actually cruising out of civitivecchia but I suppose since Barcelona is the main port of embarkation we still get charged Spanish tax. If we had been cruising out of the U.K. Or USA does that mean no tax would be added? Last question I presume if I waited until we were onboard the tax would still be added?

Not sure about the UK, but no tax is added to the internet purchase when cruising out of the US.

Yes, Barcelona is regarded as the main port of embarkation. Civitavecchia is an interporting port. Therefore the Spanish VAT.

Out of the UK you also have to pay VAT as long as your cruise has no non-EU port (most cruises out of UK do have a non-EU port like Guernsey). But as an example the Harmony cruise from Southampton to Barcelona on May 29th does not have a non-EU port and all those guests have to pay the VAT too (anyway, looks like RCI is charging the Spanish VAT although it should be the British).

Out of the US you have to pay an additional State Tax in Florida and New Jersey but usually only as long as you are in port and within the 3 mile zone (and not for purchases made online).

For EU cruises even when you have a non-EU port you still pay the Spanish VAT for all Spanish ports (and within the 3 mile zone).

The VAT thing is an EU law so all EU countries have to claim the VAT for cruises.

steamboats

Yes, Barcelona is regarded as the main port of embarkation. Civitavecchia is an interporting port. Therefore the Spanish VAT.

Out of the UK you also have to pay VAT as long as your cruise has no non-EU port (most cruises out of UK do have a non-EU port like Guernsey). But as an example the Harmony cruise from Southampton to Barcelona on May 29th does not have a non-EU port and all those guests have to pay the VAT too (anyway, looks like RCI is charging the Spanish VAT although it should be the British).

Out of the US you have to pay an additional State Tax in Florida and New Jersey but usually only as long as you are in port and within the 3 mile zone (and not for purchases made online).

For EU cruises even when you have a non-EU port you still pay the Spanish VAT for all Spanish ports (and within the 3 mile zone).

The VAT thing is an EU law so all EU countries have to claim the VAT for cruises.

steamboats

Thanks steamboats.

It would be useful if RCI explained this on the website instead of randomly adding taxes - I don't mind paying as long as I am clear what I am paying for.

Almost adds up to the price I pay per year here in Spain for fiber optic wifi[emoji79]

You get Fiber???

The US is supposed to be the leader in all things, yet we always seem to be behind the rest of the world.. I guess it costs too much money to upgrade our infrastructure. We need the money to build planes the air-force doesn't want, refurb tanks the army doesn't need, and bail out all the ponzi schemes... :mad:

It would be useful if RCI explained this on the website instead of randomly adding taxes - I don't mind paying as long as I am clear what I am paying for.

I´m totally with you! They advertize a price and as soon as you click on "buy" there´s a much higher amount than it should be without any kind of explanation.

It´s even worse with the drink packages. Without the 20% discount the advertized price did include both 18% Service Charge and 10% VAT. Now with the offer obviously it´s just the VAT included and they add the 18% when you click on "buy". No explanation at all but a lot of frustrated customers who are getting completly different answers when they call in and ask. And of course none of the answers is correct.

steamboats

Is the VAT added to all onboard purchases--gift shop, specialty restaurants, shore excursions? A Mediterranean cruise is my dream but it seems that one might have to add up to 20% to the cruise budget to cover this. Is there any strategy to avoiding VATs?

Yes, the VAT is added to everything.

Even with a non-EU port like Gibraltar you have to pay the VAT for all Spanish ports on your itinerary (as soon as you enter the 3 mile zone).

You´re "safe" on an Eastern Med itinerary including a Turkish port.

steamboats