Question for Ruth C or others on the use of mobility scooters

pinnaclegirl

Yet another service we don't seem to have offered in Australia.

Could you elaborate, please? I don't understand what you mean by this.

I know the first time I rented a scooter to use on a ship, I boarded in Sydney, Australia. It was the end of the season, and the cruise was a trans-Pac, ending in Vancouver. It was how the company repositioned the scooters for the Alaska season. Then, in the fall, they are transported back down under.

Could you elaborate, please? I don't understand what you mean by this.

I know the first time I rented a scooter to use on a ship, I boarded in Sydney, Australia. It was the end of the season, and the cruise was a trans-Pac, ending in Vancouver. It was how the company repositioned the scooters for the Alaska season. Then, in the fall, they are transported back down under.

I've enquires of Princess about hiring a scooter, before I got my chair, they said they no longer offer it through any organisation that delivers to the port, I need to arrange to collect from a company that offers hire and arrange to collect it and get it to the port.

I guess I'll have to ask again and see if another person gives a different answer.

I agree Ruth, I use a scooter all the time and I have learned to put my arm out and on occasion to speak very loudly to keep people from walking right into me! My first trip on the scooter in a public place a guy texting away on his phone almost fell on me, the presence of a large strong friend walking with me kept me from being injured as he was able to grab the guys arm and keep most of his weight off me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for a wealth of information on this subject. We have a holiday cruise on Oosterdam booked with our 90yo Mother. She does not own a scooter but we are thinking one on board would enhance her cruise a lot...

I have no knowledge of your aged mother's condition, but wonder if a cruise is the place for her to learn to drive a scooter.

I have no knowledge of your aged mother's condition, but wonder if a cruise is the place for her to learn to drive a scooter.

I totally agree. It would be dangerous for all concerned.

I had occasion to drive a scooter once following foot surgery when I had to make my way around a large box store.

It t'aint easy Magee----not at all.

Fortunately it was at a slack time and I did no damage to anyone. It did tell me one thing though-----if the day ever comes when I or my husband will need a scooter on a cruise, we will have found a means to get very accustomed to driving one before we inflict ourselves on unsuspecting passengers.

I totally agree. It would be dangerous for all concerned.

I had occasion to drive a scooter once following foot surgery when I had to make my way around a large box store.

It t'aint easy Magee----not at all.

Fortunately it was at a slack time and I did no damage to anyone. It did tell me one thing though-----if the day ever comes when I or my husband will need a scooter on a cruise, we will have found a means to get very accustomed to driving one before we inflict ourselves on unsuspecting passengers.

So true. Having been hit from behind by someone driving a large scooter on a cruise ship, I am now very nervous around them, and do wish there was some required training before they are let loose. As you may recall, Sapper, on our last cruise there was one guy who would literally speed through the Ocean Bar area every evening coming from the MDR. An accident waiting to happen.

I've enquires of Princess about hiring a scooter, before I got my chair, they said they no longer offer it through any organisation that delivers to the port, I need to arrange to collect from a company that offers hire and arrange to collect it and get it to the port.

I guess I'll have to ask again and see if another person gives a different answer.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I hadn't thought it might be a different cruise line.

Next time try HAL! Or, ask one of the providers HAL uses (Special Needs at Sea, and Care Vacations, which now has a new name) if a scooter can be delivered and picked up at a hotel pre- & post-cruise. That may be too cumbersome, but is a thought.

Contact either Special Needs at Sea or Care Vacations directly. Not only do they have the correct information for you regarding Medical Supplies for cruising but they are the only 2 that I know of that the various cruise lines that can deliver to the ships. Do a google search for their phone numbers or other means of contact. I've used both, but prefer Special Needs at Sea.

Joanie

;)

I agree anyone plannig to use a scooter on a crowded cruise ship needs to have some practice in advance. Too many of those s cooters have hit too many people walking nearby and no one wants, that, I am sure. o Of course, for those whose experience is enhanced b y having them available, by all means should have and use them but they should also have advance experience in safe use. I know igh it must be annoying to want to ride a certain path to wherever and to encounter number of meandering, slowly walking, talkingfrolks. Oh welll. Slow down, look and wait. ;) Pedestrians have right of way over a power vehicle.

i THINK IT outstanding companies will rent this equipment and know how important it is for many people in order for them to be able to travel and enjoy.

Edited by sail7seas

For starters she is mean as a snake! Does that help? Seriously though she uses them all the time at Walmart and local groceries. I get your point about "rookies" especially on a moving ship. Hopefully she will prove to be up to it just as Ruth and many others are.:cool:

Hey everyone,

I'll be traveling with my wife and mother in law on a cruise. My MIL can get around the ship without a wheelchair or scooter and basically wants one for excursions.

My question is if we got a scooter, how difficult is it in terms of storage for 3 people in a typical oceanview room. The only place I can think to storm a scooter is in between the bathroom and the closet or between the sleep sofa and vanity. Either one of those places just seem to make a tight room even tighter.

Any advice would be appreciated.

My question is if we got a scooter, how difficult is it in terms of storage for 3 people in a typical oceanview room.

There may be different configurations of outside cabins, especially on different classes of ships, but the ones I am familiar with probably don't have enough room to get a scooter in the cabin in the first place.

There is room to get a rental scooter through the doorway, with about an inch to spare on each side. However, the outside cabins I'm familiar with then have a corridor lined by the closets, opposite the bathroom door and wall. I have serious doubts that you could get the scooter down that corridor.

Rental scooters tend to be big, heavy, and one piece, at least those rented from the companies that deliver to the ships. I know there are scooters that can be purchased that fold up, and that would be a better option for use.

You not only would be able to get a folding scooter in the cabin, be able to find a place for it (maybe. what is the 3rd bed arrangement? drop down from the ceiling, or fold out couch---taking up floor space), and turn it around to get it back out, but it would be easier to take on excursions.

Rentals can't be stored under a tour bus, or fit in the trunk of a car.

The configuration is a fold out couch.

Thanks for the input, it's what I figured but I wanted to be sure before we rented a scooter and were stuck with it in a small room for the length of our trip.

I think we will rent just a wheelchair that can fold up.

Erzengel, I bought a "travel scooter" some years ago. It has fit thru every door I've used. It also comes apart/folds so that it fits into a car trunk or into a bus luggage compartment, it can also be pushed into a small area in a room. There were several different types when I was looking, several were very small and very light weight and were advertised as being specifically for commercial travel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a travel scoot and have been able to fit it into inside, lanai, and veranda cabins with no issues, and without folding it up. When in a lanai, we brought it in at night through the lanai doors. Granted, it takes up room and is sometimes difficult to get around, but it is quite doable.:)