Train Civi Port to Rome

cruisequeen4ever

DH and I have decided to do Rome independently this time after doing the grand 12 hour adventure with Princess 2 years ago. Could someone please answer the following questions?

1) what transport to take from ship to train station

2) where to buy train ticket and how to validate

3) best stop to get off for Trevi Fountain

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

First you take the free port shuttle from your ship to the port exit at Via Turco.

There you purchase a ticket for the bus to the train station. There are two different buses that make the trip, the local bus and a special "direct" bus for tour passengers. Although the second one costs a bit more I would take whichever one comes first. Time is more important at this stage than a Euro.

At the train station purchase a 5-zone BIRG ticket from the newsstand inside the station (€12). This ticket covers your round trip train fare between Civitavecchia and Rome as well as all mass transit within Rome for the entire day.

Validate your ticket on the platform in one of the machines.

I would get off the train at Roma Trastevere (to save time) and board the #8 tram in the street in front of the station. Take the tram to the end of the line at Piazza Venezia, from here it's a half mile walk to the Trevi Fountain.

First you take the free port shuttle from your ship to the port exit at Via Turco.

There you purchase a ticket for the bus to the train station. There are two different buses that make the trip, the local bus and a special "direct" bus for tour passengers. Although the second one costs a bit more I would take whichever one comes first. Time is more important at this stage than a Euro.

At the train station purchase a 5-zone BIRG ticket from the newsstand inside the station (€12). This ticket covers your round trip train fare between Civitavecchia and Rome as well as all mass transit within Rome for the entire day.

Validate your ticket on the platform in one of the machines.

I would get off the train at Roma Trastevere (to save time) and board the #8 tram in the street in front of the station. Take the tram to the end of the line at Piazza Venezia, from here it's a half mile walk to the Trevi Fountain.

We do exactly this to get on to the train but the last couple of times I have found it easier to get off in St Peters and walk through St Peter's Square to start my day in Rome. This saves sitting on the train to the next stops.

It all depends though on where you want to start your day. You need to plan your route with a detailed map.

At the end of the day we always return from Termini Station to ensure we get a seat on the train. The local trains can get very crowded.

Advice to make sure you get an early enough train to allow for problems has been repeated multiple times. Keep a good eye on your watch. You do not want to be late for the ship. DIY in Rome is so much nicer than a ship tour in my opinion.

Ollienbertsmum, thank you. Is Termini the start of the journey for everyone, thus ensuring a seat? I definitely want a seat!! And yes, we are taking a super early return train.

Yes, Termini is the start for all the regional trains.

Hank

Ok, thank you, Hank.

Do be aware that while Termini is the point of origin for the regional train it is a very large station and you should add in another 10-15 mins time to get to the tracks where the train to Civi leaves.

Do be aware that while Termini is the point of origin for the regional train it is a very large station and you should add in another 10-15 mins time to get to the tracks where the train to Civi leaves.

That would be an understatement :). The track, used for the regional trains to Civitiavecchia, is located at the furthest end of Termini (from the main entrance). There used to be a "secret" side entrance from a back street that was actually pretty close to the track, but that has now been locked because of security reasons. So now, one must be able to walk the near 1/2 miles from the entrance to the track.

Hank

And yes, we are taking a super early return train.

If our ship leaves at 7pm, I would aim to be back at the ship at 530, so would a 4pm train be a safe bet, or is that a bit risky still?

Worst case scenario with no margin for error would be leave Rome Termini at 5pm

If our ship leaves at 7pm, I would aim to be back at the ship at 530, so would a 4pm train be a safe bet, or is that a bit risky still?

Worst case scenario with no margin for error would be leave Rome Termini at 5pm

Most people recommend that you figure out what is the last train to take that would get you back in time to make the ship. Then plan to take the train BEFORE that one.

This way, if something unexpected happens, you have a fallback option.

Having done a tour previously we are also considering DIY. Wondering how long the typical return process from Rome to the port will take. Want to be sure we return ahead of schedule to ensure a margin.

Thanks

Thanks for everyone who has posted above. We're going to be stopping in Rome in July on the NCL Epic. For all of the experts, does this plan seem manageable:

On the way out:

Boat docks at 6 am

Catch first port bus

Walk to train station (all fast walkers)

Catch either 7:02 or 7:44 train to Ostiense

Take the subway to the Colosseum in time for 8:45 tour

Getting back to port:

Be at Termini no later than 4:20

Catch the Frecciabianca train at 4:57

Arrive back in Civitavecchia at 5:39

Walk back to port, catch bus and be onboard by 6:30

Is this do-able? Am I crazy? I appreciate any and all input :)

Also, is it still worth it to buy a BIRG ticket if we plan to take a Regionale train to Rome and take two subway rides within Rome? I think it might be just for the convenience aspect but wanted to see what others thought.

Edited by Midwest_Traveler

You might have a few problems so lets go over your idea. Assuming your ship does dock around 6, it will be after 6:15 until the ship is cleared and passengers are allowed to leave. Assuming your group is off by 6:30, you might find there is a wait for a port shuttle bus to leave your pier area. If lucky, you might be on your way within 10 min, but then it takes another 10 min for the bus to reach the bus drop point. At this point you would need to buy a bus ticket for the bus that will take you to the train station. All this takes time so the 7:44 is much more likely. If you are planning on using the Metro twice, you would have to purchase 2 Metro tickets (at 1.5€ each) which means stopping and dealing with the machines (or a ticket window). The BIRG ticket only costs 12€ (if you buy it from a independent seller such as a coffee stand they will usually add 1€) which is a very good deal and takes away the hassle of getting other tickets. Just remember that you must validate the BIRG ticket before getting on the train.

As to your return, you do not say when your ship leaves the port. But it is always wise to plan on getting back at least 1 hour early (we prefer 1 1/2 - 2 hours early). Trains can sometimes run late. And once you get to Civitavecchia you have to buy the bus ticket (unless you purchased extra ones in the morning), cross the street, and get on a shuttle bus...which then takes you back to the stop where you transfer to the free port shuttle bus. All this takes some time, and if there are many cruisers on your train (likely) the shuttles can quickly fill...which then means more waiting time for the next bus. In practice, the shuttles in Civitavecchia work well, but you need to understand that the process takes time and it can easily be 30 min (or more) to get from the train station to your ship.

Hank

1. The free port shuttle longer stops at Varco Fortezza/Forte Michelangelo, right?

2. Is the the pedestrian entrance at Varco Fortezza/Forte Michelangelo still open? And if so, can one simply walk from the ship, exit at Forte Michelangelo, and continue to the train station?

IOW, have they made it so that nobody can walk to the train station anymore?

Edited by Terpnut

1. The free port shuttle longer stops at Varco Fortezza/Forte Michelangelo, right?

The cruise ship shuttle does not stop there, the ferry shuttle does.

2. Is the the pedestrian entrance at Varco Fortezza/Forte Michelangelo still open? And if so, can one simply walk from the ship, exit at Forte Michelangelo, and continue to the train station?

The pedestrian entrance/exit just south of the fort is open and if you can walk from/to your ship, you can get to the train station that way.

Personally, my ship would have to be docked a long way out for me to choose the port shuttle option as it has got to take more time than simply hoofing it.

Has anyone had experience with being told that they were not allowed to walk, that they must take the shuttle (as they tell you in Livorno)?

Personally, my ship would have to be docked a long way out for me to choose the port shuttle option as it has got to take more time than simply hoofing it.

Has anyone had experience with being told that they were not allowed to walk, that they must take the shuttle (as they tell you in Livorno)?

All the cruises we have taken in the last few years from Civitavecchia have been berthed at the far port which is about 3 km from the train station, along roads which are not really aimed at pedestrians (i.e. limited footpaths). The walk is so long that I couldn't imagine not taking the port bus. I can't say whether people have been stopped from walking out (as in Livorno) just not sure why people would want to, as the port buses run so regularly.

If you are lucky enough to be docked just down from the old port (which is where we used to dock in the past) that's a much shorter walk.

I will be calling in Civitavecchia in a couple of weeks and will take a look to see if people are walking out of the port

Edited by Bobal

Add us as a couple that has often enjoyed the "long walk" from our ship to the train station. On our most recent visit, last month, we did take the shuttle bus since it was ready to go and we wanted to experience the current bus situation for CC posting purposes. But we did notice a few others doing the "long walk." As to the last post about why anyone would want to walk, it is simply that some folks like to get exercise (I walk 8-10 miles a day). We are well aware that there are plenty of healthy folks who whine if they have to walk from one end of the ship to the other....or horrors, use the steps instead of the elevator. On our recent long Prinsendam cruise, 2 very nice (and fit) Aussie ladies asked us why so many Americans were "obese?" Perhaps part of the answer lies in taking buses and elevators instead of using your feet.

Hank

All the cruises we have taken in the last few years from Civitavecchia have been berthed at the far port which is about 3 km from the train station, along roads which are not really aimed at pedestrians (i.e. limited footpaths). The walk is so long that I couldn't imagine not taking the port bus. I can't say whether people have been stopped from walking out (as in Livorno) just not sure why people would want to, as the port buses run so regularly.

If you are lucky enough to be docked just down from the old port (which is where we used to dock in the past) that's a much shorter walk.

I will be calling in Civitavecchia in a couple of weeks and will take a look to see if people are walking out of the port

From even the furthest cruise terminal, I estimate the walk to the train station at under 2.5 km. The walk or drive from Largo della Pace (where the shuttle take you) is almost 1.5 km. It should take from 10-25 minutes to wait for and then ride the free port shuttle to Largo della Pace. Then you wait for and ride the 2 Euro shuttle to the station (another 10-20 minutes). So why not just do the 22-25 min walk down the pier, through Varco Fortezza and to the station (if allowed)? Setting aside weather and cost considerations, you should beat the shuttles 9 times out of 10 by simply walking. Edited by Terpnut

From even the furthest cruise terminal, I estimate the walk to the train station at under 2.5 km. The walk or drive from Largo della Pace (where the shuttle take you) is almost 1.5 km. It should take from 10-25 minutes to wait for and then ride the free port shuttle to Largo della Pace. Then you wait for and ride the 2 Euro shuttle to the station (another 10-20 minutes). So why not just do the 22-25 min walk down the pier, through Varco Fortezza and to the station (if allowed)? Setting aside weather and cost considerations, you should beat the shuttles 9 times out of 10 by simply walking.

Sorry, have searched on a map and don't know where Varco Fortezza is :confused: However I did not estimate the distance I used points on Googlemaps between the station and the main terminal building (which is actually more like a large tent). In fact the map will only let me measure from the end of the road which is around 100 yds from the terminal itself. According to the map it's around 3 km and around a 40 minute walk - and this walk is through car parks and around roundabouts which have no sidewalks. By all means walk it, if you think you'll save time but I can assure you - having sailed from and called in Civitavecchia at least twice a year since they moved the main terminal - it will take you more than 22-25 minutes. ;)

We've never waited longer than 10 minutes for a port bus and the ride takes around 5 minutes. We will catch shuttle to the station if one is about to leave, otherwise we do the 15-20 minute walk.

Edited by Bobal

Sorry all, I am getting a little confused with the comments above. Are you able to walk out of the port to the train station?

Or is it recommended (aka faster) to take the port shuttle bus to the outside of the port and then walk to the train station? I know we will not want to wait for two buses and had not been planning on taking the bus to the train station. I would be willing to forego the port shuttle if at all possible. Thanks!

Edited by Midwest_Traveler