Elusive Upgrade Fairy!

When do these upgrade fairy's normally contact cruisers prior to them cruising?

This is my first cruise on RCCL (21st May coming for 9 nights) and I seriously doubt I'll get anything as I haven't built up any loyalty tenure of course! However do they contact you if you've never cruised with them before?

Getting jealous already of these folks getting calls from the upgrade fairy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I remember seeing a thread where someone on Vision of the Seas booked a Balcony room and then they got upgraded to a full blown Suite automagically!! However I suspect that was because they booked a guarantee room whereas I picked my room (Interior with Virtual Balcony)

Was curious if they did this prior to the cruise or if they did this on the day you arrive like "Surprise! Here's your amazing upgrade!" (Complimentary or not)

I remember seeing a thread where someone on Vision of the Seas booked a Balcony room and then they got upgraded to a full blown Suite automagically!! However I suspect that was because they booked a guarantee room whereas I picked my room (Interior with Virtual Balcony)

Was curious if they did this prior to the cruise or if they did this on the day you arrive like "Surprise! Here's your amazing upgrade!" (Complimentary or not)

The upgrade can happen either way, days before the cruise, or you might find out at the cruise terminal.

I don't mean to be picky but unless you are referring to a free upgrade , the term used on CC is up sell fairy .

Perhaps you did mean a no charge upgrade . If so understand that these offers are few and far between .

I have been offered multiple up sells , one of which I happily jumped on .:) So far not a single upgrade . :(

Received 3 "free" upgrades, each time we were called about 2-3 weeks before cruise to see if we wanted it. Unfortunately, it's been a long time since we've heard from the upgrade fairy, not sure she exists anymore!:D

Sherri:)

When we were sailing on Indy in Feb., we called teh C&A desk the week before to see if we could ASK for an upgrade (hey, it never hurts, right?) She said upgrades are predetermined and those who have received them will get an email 3-4 weeks before sail date. Then you have to email or call back and they will upgrade you. If there are extra upgrades, they will be given out at check-in.

This may have been specifically for our cruise, so I'm sure things could change.

When we booked a balcony gty and got places in an Owner'S suite, the room number just showed up in our reservation online a couple of days be before sailing. There was no "surprise" or even mention if it being an upgrade---I just knew because I looked the room up on the deck plans (and then checked, and rechecked and rechecked again the number in disbelief).

To be honest, I don't know what to expect - I wasn't sure if it was complimentary or if someone upsells at a discounted rate etc

All I do know is that if such a thing were to happen, it probably won't be likely as I went through a mock booking for 21/05/16 for 9 night on Navigator and the only room available was Room 8228 for a Deluxe Balcony cabin

So likelihood is fairly slim - it was more excitable curiosity than anything else!! It's my first cruise ever and I am totally buzzing out my face about the whole thing - work is getting quite distracting!! :cool::D:eek::o:rolleyes:

To be honest, I don't know what to expect - I wasn't sure if it was complimentary or if someone upsells at a discounted rate etc

All I do know is that if such a thing were to happen, it probably won't be likely as I went through a mock booking for 21/05/16 for 9 night on Navigator and the only room available was Room 8228 for a Deluxe Balcony cabin

So likelihood is fairly slim - it was more excitable curiosity than anything else!! It's my first cruise ever and I am totally buzzing out my face about the whole thing - work is getting quite distracting!! :cool::D:eek::o:rolleyes:

Even if there were a lot of cabins left it would be slim. You only hear from the few that have received upgrades. Nothing to talk about if you haven't

Yep--it is highly unlikely. We've had just that one (super lucky) upgrade in over 30 cruises--and it was a shoulder season cruise with a fair number if empty cabins.

When do these upgrade fairy's normally contact cruisers prior to them cruising?

This is my first cruise on RCCL (21st May coming for 9 nights) and I seriously doubt I'll get anything as I haven't built up any loyalty tenure of course! However do they contact you if you've never cruised with them before?

Getting jealous already of these folks getting calls from the upgrade fairy!

You should check your upgrade settings in your Mycruise profile.

You should check your upgrade settings in your Mycruise profile.

That only shows up for registered C&A members.

tallpaul, have you signed up for C&A yet? You can do that now BEFORE your first cruise.

What is technically an upgrade may not be better . If you have picked a cabin because of it's specific location , deck , location of travelling companions cabins or whatever and are moved, you may not consider it an upgrade . Some here on CC recommend specifying "No Upgrades Please " on your bookings .

That only shows up for registered C&A members.

tallpaul, have you signed up for C&A yet? You can do that now BEFORE your first cruise.

Yeah I did - before I booked this, I signed up for the majority of the mainstream cruise lines loyalty programs and I used my C&A number when booking