Crown Princess - Laptop stolen during embarkation

fl.princess

PS: Also interesting... I traveled in nothing but some thin knit capri pants and a thin Underarmor tank top.. Not even one pocket... Nothing... placed my zip up hoodie in the bin on the conveyer. The lovely machine STILL flagged me.... when there was clearly nothing there. Even flagged between my legs... So, I nearly got strip searched.... :mad:

Every time I through security I get stopped and the "wand" comes out for my right knee. I have never had knee surgery....there ain't anything in there!! go figure!

My wife has a pair of sandals that set the dang thing off every time if she forgets to take them off and put them in the bin. There must be a piece of metal in the sole although one would never suspect it.

This was an extremely unfortunate incident. I have no idea how this will work out for you from and insurance perspective but there is also the loss of all that information one has on their laptop or other device. I think the one thing readers can take out of this is to never place valuables, electronics or cameras in checked luggage....even if the luggage is locked a thief can be in and out of a suitcase in seconds and you will never know until you go to unpack.

Here is another heads up about locking luggage.

We have a new suitcase, and it came with the lock that will secure the bag, that TSA is supposed to be able to unlock, and then put the lock back on.

Our first trip was to Cancun.

Practically 'America', right...

One would think that our TSA would be working with the agents at the Cancun airport, since there are like millions of Americans flying down there for vacation every year.

Uh, no. To the best of my knowledge (and I work for an airline), you will not find TSA doing airport security anywhere outside the USA. You do have U.S. CBP (Customs and Border Protection) doing immigration and customs checks at some foreign airports but even there, security is local (on my most recent departure from a Canadian pre-clearance airport, after CBP (so sort of back in the U.S.), the security check was done by the same Canadian security agents who handle Canadian domestic and non-U.S. international departures.

My husband and I were on the Crown Princess for the Pacific Coastal cruise 4/30 – 5/6.

I preface the following by saying that this is a warning to others to think twice about putting anything valuable you would not want to lose in your luggage at embarkation. If you don’t want to lose an item, whatever it may be, don’t put it in your luggage.

Before embarkation at San Pedro, my husband decided to place his laptop in his luggage instead of lugging it around in his backpack for a few hours. I asked him not to, but he simply didn’t want to carry it (it is heavy) and figured it would be fine in our luggage. Well, when our luggage was delivered to our cabin, the laptop was not in his luggage and was apparently stolen somewhere along the way to our cabin. The power cord was still in our luggage though. Thankfully, we did not store any personal data on this laptop and we quickly changed all passwords in the event an email or anything was not logged out on the laptop. We reported the missing laptop the same day at the customer service desk and was questioned as to when we last saw the laptop. They simply wanted to verify that we did not lose it anywhere else. My husband filled out a report and they said they would start the process. They gave us a number to call when we return home.

We contacted Princess when we returned home and was informed that Princess is not liable for any electronics lost or stolen as stated in the Passage Contract and they deny any responsibility. They stated that the actual loading on and off the ship is handled by stevedore personnel who are not Princess employees, and therefore, not under the control or supervision of Princess.

We did purchase the Princess Vacation Protection (Platinum) and Princess stated that we will have to file through them. However, they require us to file a claim through our homeowner’s insurance first as the Princess Vacation Protection is secondary on baggage claims.

We don’t plan on filing this through our homeowner’s (I believe our deductible is higher than the cost of the laptop), so most likely we will be at a loss in the end.

Has anyone else filed a claim through the Princess Vacation Protection for a stolen item with any success in reimbursement?

Not a very smart move.

Sorry about your experience, what a crummy way to start your cruise. Albeit at your expense, we will be much more careful with the items packed in our suitcases. I hope your cruise was enjoyable, computer issue notwithstanding.

That is a terrible story and I'm sorry you had to experience that. I thought the cruise lines all x-ray the bags looking for contraband before delivering it to the staterooms. Am I incorrect? Because that would mean Princess sure does have access to your bags as well as opening them and they are not off the hook, in fact it's much more likely a Princess employee would have the change to take your computer, those port workers don't seem like they'd have adequate time or opportunity to start opening suitcases and rifling through them. But that is just how I'm picturing it in my mind, not based on any real knowledge of how this works.

I have often been tempted to through my iPad in my suitcase so I don't have to carry it around. Glad I read your post.

The luggage sits in several places as it is gathered, loaded in containers, and then loaded onto the ship. It could be quite a while, as in hours, before it moves onto the ship and into Princess control.

In some ports the security screening of checked luggage is done by port personnel, before it ever gets to the ship.

Bottom line though is the contract says they are not responsible for electronics in checked luggage, so don't check it.

Baggage security at embarkation is done by the stevedores and security personnel who are employed by the port authority, not the cruise line, and before it is placed on the ship. Cruise line employees are the ones who scan the carry-on bags.

There are no "porters" on the ship, the folks that handle baggage once the carts are placed onboard are typically bar and wait staff, whose primary job is not needed on turn-around day.

I have seen terminals where even the carry on bags are screened by port personnel, in the terminal. The cruise ship personnel are always doing it when it is done on the ship, but not necessarily in the terminal.

Sorry for your loss. Anything of value goes in my carry on bag including computer, tablet, camera, Bluetooth speakers, medications and wine [emoji6] It only takes one time to ruin your trip. Basically all that is in my checked bag is clothes.

Can never understand why people put valuable items in checked luggage. Every insurance policy I have seen/taken out specifically states that any valuables placed in checked luggage will not be covered due to the higher risk of something being stolen when the luggage is out of your control.

If it's valuable to you then always carry it in hand luggage.

How disappointing......

Go buy another laptop and lesson learned.....you mentioned it was one that you had important data on, so just move on........however, if it is one that you have recently purchased with your CC then file with your Credit Card.

Re: locks on suitcases ...if someone is going to steal from a suitcase which ones do you think they will steal from, one with a lock or one that doesn't have one?.......10 years ago I used zipties now I use nothing, all my recent purchased suitcases have come with TSA locks...never used them.

To me a locked suitcase means something valuable is inside or new traveler...just sayin........

BTW..I've cruised on Crown out of SP 3 times since February...........like 100s of others, no problem.....unfortunate for the OP

Edited by land lover

Hi

When my luggage was stolon, Princess accepted liability and paid in full value

of all items, we were insured but did not make a claim.

yours Shogun

Just curious...isn't insurance a whole different ball game when you have booked over the pond....or do you book thru U.S. TAs?

Edited by land lover

Ugh. I hate it when things like that happen. Sorry you're experiencing it.

As other have said, definitely file a claim. Just attach a copy of your house insurance coverage with deductible listed. It would be most helpful if you have a copy of the original laptop receipt, though I had a claim once where I didn't and simply attached a copy of the replacement item purchase. They do consider depreciation, though, and it's steep. But you have nothing to lose and everything to gain at this point.

You have my sympathy. My luggage was lost for four days on a trip to Europe once, and though it was eventually found, I was inconsolable. I had put all my medications in the checked bag, a dumb move I have now learned not to do. I hope you can enjoy yourselves anyway. :)

I do not agree when it was stated that locks mean valuable inside. We lock so that the bag does not get open up by mistake. We have seen several times when the bag zipper gets caught on the luggage carousel and someones unmentionables are strewn all over the luggage. Not something i want to happen.

But if it also deters someone from getting inside as a plus, then great. Also, if the TSA needs to get in they can since they are TSA approved locks. If they do go into your bag they are SUPPOSED to leave a printed note telling you that it was them.

We hesitate to file the claim with our homeowner's insurance fearing they will drop us when we file a claim. This has been known to happen with our company and we do not want to be dropped over a claim they most likely aren't going to pay due to our deductible. In this case, I don't know if the insurance through Princess will help us.

Reporting it to the insurance company will only cause a bad mark on your insurance record even if you don't collect a dime from them. We had an experience years ago with damage to a rental home & I called them first before seeing what actually had occurred. I never collected anything but till this day they have it on my record about the incident. (and it's a different company !)

Reporting it to the insurance company will only cause a bad mark on your insurance record even if you don't collect a dime from them. We had an experience years ago with damage to a rental home & I called them first before seeing what actually had occurred. I never collected anything but till this day they have it on my record about the incident. (and it's a different company !)

All notes/claims will follow you forever. The insurance companies use a central clearing house...anyone who has homeowner's or auto insurance are in the database.

Wow that really sucks!! Travel insurance shouldn't be secondary; the point of it is to use it for travel related occurrences. We all know homeowners insurance is only wise to use for high ticket emergencies.

I'm sure you can purchase travel insurance that pays as the primary. It will certainly be more expensive than the secondary policies.

I do not agree when it was stated that locks mean valuable inside. We lock so that the bag does not get open up by mistake. We have seen several times when the bag zipper gets caught on the luggage carousel and someones unmentionables are strewn all over the luggage. Not something i want to happen. I totally agree!

But if it also deters someone from getting inside as a plus, then great. Also, if the TSA needs to get in they can since they are TSA approved locks. If they do go into your bag they are SUPPOSED to leave a printed note telling you that it was them.

I'm kind of weird in that I like to color coordinate my lock, luggage tag, and handle pad. I *did* get a note teling me that my luggage had been searched, but TSA also cut off my TSA approved lock and discrded it. That kind of ticked my off because the are supposed to be able to open it and put it back where they found it!. My sister's lock got cut off on a different trip.

Also, if the TSA needs to get in, they can, since they are TSA approved locks. If they do go into your bag they are SUPPOSED to leave a printed note telling you that it was them.

Sometimes, TSA approved locks don't mean a darned thing to TSA agents. On 2 separate occasions, I have retrieved my luggage with the locks missing only to find them inside on top of that lovely printed note. The problem was that both times, the locks were cut into pieces. I think it was more insulting that they put them in there instead of throwing them out. What did they think I was supposed to do? Braise and weld them back together!!!

I'm kind of weird in that I like to color coordinate my lock, luggage tag, and handle pad. I *did* get a note teling me that my luggage had been searched, but TSA also cut off my TSA approved lock and discrded it. That kind of ticked my off because the are supposed to be able to open it and put it back where they found it!. My sister's lock got cut off on a different trip.

And I thought I was the only one that happens to. Now I don't feel so bad.