Lobster Tails-How many have you ate?

kdziewik

NCL has added a really good lobster tail to The Haven restaurant menu. First time I've had really good lobster in years (since I don't travel to Boston on business anymore.) I was on the Breakaway two weeks ago and really enjoyed the lobster there almost every night - they are large and flavorful Maine lobster tails.

Curious....

How many lobster tails have you ate in the MDR?

In the main dining room on HAL ships -- none. Gave them up many, many years ago. They are tiny -- 2 or 3 bites. They arrive from the kitchen under a dome. They sit on the service table until the waiter has time to get them to the table. Thus they are still cooking under that dome. They are extremely salty and rubbery. They are warm water tails.

Just recently HAL added Lobster Tails to their Pinnacle Grill -- there is a surcharge. $10 for a 5 ounce tail to go along with a steak. Or $20 for a 12 ounce tail. These are Maine cold water tails. I ordered this twice on our recent cruise -- they were excellent.

I think the "excitement" of the lobster on a cruise goes along with the entire theater of the Formal night. Dress up in formal duds like the "golden era", dine on the food that only the wealthy could afford to eat (well, unless you were a lobsterman's family) back in the "golden era." Never mind that they are little, overcooked, rubbery, impostors for real Maine lobsters that those Astors dined on way back when. Add the fact that there is apparently no limit on how many you can order, some will forget that they are in a "formal" dining room with a "just so you can play rich" atmosphere and will make like they are on Death Row and are eating their last meal. Just because you don't get to eat lobster at home, no reason for gorging yourself on it on a cruise. One tail, OK, maybe two. Beyond that is just gluttony (IMHO).

I don't eat the lobster onboard. Even all that butter can't make it palatable for me. Although, from the looks of some of my fellow cruisers, they may very well eat those 3-8 lobster tails just for the butterfat and cholesterol :eek:

Edited by slidergirl

One, once many cruises ago. It's not Maine lobster...it's Caribbean lobster which is not as tasty. The one time I did order them they were dry, rubbery and tasteless....now I always opt for something else on "'lobster night".

ps

You can go to Tamarind - ask for it grilled or gluten free otherwise it is breaded! I kid you not!

Sent from my ione using Forums mobile app

Only 2 of the shidhahve Tamarind.

Edited by sail7seas

I ate 13 whole(tails, claws, knuckles and legs) Maine lobsters last fall. It took me about 2 hours as we were at a picnic. The 8-10 beers I had with them helped things along also. I steamed them until they were just cooked. I ate every one with no butter, they were so tasty just plain.

OK, Hank, what restaurant in Hgb?

Maybe people don't have lobster all that much at home so they take advantage of it on a cruise. Also, if someone thinks they are not paying for it, they'll eat as much as they can.

Would you believe the Colonial Park Diner? That place has advertised lobster tail specials for many years....and still has a large sign hanging off the front about the 2 lobster tail dinner.

Hank

We don't generally get lobster tails on the ship, just don't like the warm water tails when we can get fresh New England lobster at home. We did enjoy a New England lobster on our September Canada/New England cruise with Celebrity. On our March cruise the chef said Celebrity was transitioning to New England Lobster. Guess we'll find out in December.

We don't generally get lobster tails on the ship, just don't like the warm water tails when we can get fresh New England lobster at home. We did enjoy a New England lobster on our September Canada/New England cruise with Celebrity. On our March cruise the chef said Celebrity was transitioning to New England Lobster. Guess we'll find out in December.

Hmmmm, color me very skeptical. Since X has gotten their current CEO, the basic company policy seems to be about cut--backs (reducing costs) coupled with large price increases. Switching to Maine (or Canadian) lobster does not fit into that scheme unless they our provided at a huge add-on price. Lets keep in mind that the current CEO has championed such "major" changes such as eliminating a few bottles of water in Aqua (which means water) class, doing away with fresh squeezed OJ at the Elite breakfasts (and everywhere else), etc. Hard to believe she would agree to more expensive lobster. And on our last X cruise (Aqua Class) the reduction of quality of product in Blu was deafening.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Kind of makes you wonder if the availability of lobster tails isn't the REAL reason some people prefer the early seating... :rolleyes:

This Dec will be my first cruise on RC, but in the past I have usually had 2 lobster tails on formal night on my CCL cruises. Once I may have had 3. I always do late seating, so if RC is often running out of lobster tails, I would agree that it is poor planning on their part.

Maybe it isn't the best lobster tail available, but for those of us who don't get it on a regular basis, it tastes pretty darn good! [emoji899]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

meatyyyyd

I ate 13 whole(tails, claws, knuckles and legs) Maine lobsters last fall. It took me about 2 hours as we were at a picnic. The 8-10 beers I had with them helped things along also. I steamed them until they were just cooked. I ate every one with no butter, they were so tasty just plain.
HOwBIG WERE THEyyIf one pound, there is notmuch t in ytth. in thE NOTYY mucxh meagt Lobster is v ery reasonable now inB ston area. As low sas #3.99/pound Edited by sail7seas

Sorry but there really is a difference between "getting your money's worth" and gluttony.
All of this reminds me of my first cruise many, many years ago on Royal Caribbean. They sat me at a table with three young couples traveling together and when the men were ordering, it became contest between them how many entrees they could order. Two of the men ordered three entrees each and the other ordered two entrees. I was horrified, as I had never seen behavior like this before and I've thankfully I've never seen it again, that I asked to be seated at a different table. The next table was full of ladies and gentlemen and my faith in humans quickly returned.

Probably only had a few lobster tails overall on my total cruises. I find that the frozen product on board tends to be a bit flavourless and there have been some poorly cooked ones. I would much rather eat a fresh one here at home.

Actually 3 HAL ships have the Tamarind restaurant --

Eurodam

Nieuw Amsterdam

Koningsdam

Three ships eh?? I did not know there was a Tamarind on the Koningsdam so that is good information. Thank you, KK.