Our thoughts on Koningsdam

mancunian

Thanks for the review.

I am sad to have my suspicions regarding the lack of a proper prom walking deck confirmed.

The library issue is also bothersome but I suppose if enough people complain that HAL could perhaps find room somewhere on the ship for a proper library....but unfortunately it seems the prom deck leaves little room to hope that it could be made wider.

What a shame that on a big new ship the wide prom deck with deck chairs got left on the design room floor. Surely there is plenty of space inside already for further "revenue enhancements" without cutting out the wonderful wide wrap around decks that so many passengers enjoy and consider to be a crucial part of the cruise experience.

I was on the Koningsdam from 4/15 to 5/9. I went to the question and answer session with the Captain and the Hotel Director. Someone commented on the lack of deck chairs and narrower walkway on the promenade deck. The Captain said that because of the way they have to do the lifeboats now that the promenade deck had to be made narrower and that left no room for the deck chairs. The lifeboats now kind of hang off the side of the ship rather than above the promenade deck. It was also mentioned that the new lifeboat configurations were partly in response to the Costa disaster. Apparently, they are easier and faster to get in the water utilizing this new design. So, it is really a matter of safety. I would just like to add that I walked the promenade often on my 24 day cruise and had no problem with the space allocated. The deck chairs are no longer there, but there is plenty of seating all over the ship for relaxing and watching the ocean, in my opinion.

The deck chairs are no longer there, but there is plenty of seating all over the ship for relaxing and watching the ocean, in my opinion.

Where? Is there shade? Outdoors? Low enough to watch the ocean? Without piped-in music?

Please, do tell where that place is, as no one has yet posted that information.

I was on the Koningsdam from 4/15 to 5/9. I went to the question and answer session with the Captain and the Hotel Director. Someone commented on the lack of deck chairs and narrower walkway on the promenade deck. The Captain said that because of the way they have to do the lifeboats now that the promenade deck had to be made narrower and that left no room for the deck chairs. The lifeboats now kind of hang off the side of the ship rather than above the promenade deck. It was also mentioned that the new lifeboat configurations were partly in response to the Costa disaster. Apparently, they are easier and faster to get in the water utilizing this new design. So, it is really a matter of safety. I would just like to add that I walked the promenade often on my 24 day cruise and had no problem with the space allocated. The deck chairs are no longer there, but there is plenty of seating all over the ship for relaxing and watching the ocean, in my opinion.

Thx for that information. While I am disappointed regarding no longer being able to sit on the promenade, I am glad to hear you can still walk it at least. It is a part of my daily routine aboard ship to do laps around the ship before bed, not being able to do that would have been a definite deal breaker. It sounds like all newer ships will now be designed this way, but guess since it is now due to more safety regulations, we will have to learn to adjust.

Thank you for a very candid and balanced review. The information provided by returning cruisers about the Promenade, or lack thereof, is very disappointing. Once or twice a day, weather permitting, I walk 10-20 minutes to get rid of those pesky little raisin buns. :D

Raisin bun....je t'amore.

Roz

Thank you so much for the thoughtful review. I had the overall impression from other readings that the K-Dam was designed in part to attract a "younger" crowd (I'm only 60), and your review confirms that.

We're booked a few years out and are looking forwards to it, but I am thinking we'll probably want to gravitate back to more traditional designs such as the Oosterdam or Eurodam, which we're quite fond of.

The Captain said that because of the way they have to do the lifeboats now that the promenade deck had to be made narrower and that left no room for the deck chairs. The lifeboats now kind of hang off the side of the ship rather than above the promenade deck. It was also mentioned that the new lifeboat configurations were partly in response to the Costa disaster. Apparently, they are easier and faster to get in the water utilizing this new design. So, it is really a matter of safety. .

Not quite correct. The davits on the ship are BASICALLY the same as Vista class. The only thing these new location of davits is that it saves a view from the balconies above. The davits on the CONCORDIA are telescoping type. There was no fault at all with the davits on the CORCORDIA. None whatsoever. The same telescoping type are used on all older HAL ships, but they are not faulty in any way with design or operation. The new davits of KODM might save AT THE MOST.... 5 SECONDS. Easier and faster to get boats down on the water? Practically because the prom deck on the KODM and the prom deck on Vista Class is exactly the same height.

Not a mater of safety. It was different use of deck space for purposes other than for promenading or sleeping in deck chairs.

Hi everyone, Thank you for your kind comments about my review.

I am just going to do a general reply bringing out the points raised. I have no idea what is going to happen with the library but interesting there are two theories as to where all these books are coming from - Statendam or a book seller in New York. The thing is why prepare a library that does not have room for these books when they arrive? The book part of the library is very, very tiny. There is another thread about the public rooms with a lot of photos, and one of the ones near the beginning show the size of the library and I think I was quite generous saying it was the size of a standard cabin without bathroom or wardrobes. It really does not make sense.

Someone asked about the bathroom. Well I think it was slightly smaller but very much nicer. The only loss I could in fact see was storage. There are just I think three shelves on the wall to the left of the sink and of course the shelf under the sink. The sink is definitely smaller and the worktop, but we found no problem at all with that.

The question about the smaller stateroom was nothing to do with the lack of mirrors but observations. Sitting at the desk you noticed it was shorter in length, likewise when we both sat on the sofa it seemed shorter. At the other end of the cabin there was a door less on the wardrobe. For a 12 day cruise no problem there, and there were some drawers. If I was sitting at the desk with the computer or doing my makeup, DH was trapped on the balcony or on the sofa unable to get past the much smaller coffee table. My other observation was that as you walked up the corridor when the stewards were working in a cabin it seemed possible before to wave and greet the one making the bed. You could not see the bed when the bathroom door was open so the corridor between wardrobes and bathroom are likely a bit narrower. I must say we actually liked the cabin and as caravanners in the past do not mind it being smaller. I would also stress that we were in a cheaper grade of balcony cabin so some may be larger.

We did like the indoor muster very much and glad they have followed other lines. However, I am still a bit nervous of the statement that they can load the boats more quickly. The theory is on all lines that you leave your indoor muster station in a long line with your hand on the person in front and you go to your boat and walk straight on. However, we feel that that is an awful lot of passengers and crew trying to navigate a very small deck area.

Finally Ruth I note you had no reply to your query would someone tell you where all these places you can sit instead of the promenade deck. You have not had a reply because there isn't one. I assume the contributor was thinking you were going to sit inside - which I suppose would answer your question about shade!

Since reading all the replies I have thought long and hard about the question of whether this is HAL trying to attract a younger market. I am sure it is true but like the library does not make a lot of sense. So ........ they have abolished to all intents and purposes the promenade deck, the library, the proper cinema, the captain's toast, the Indonesian tea, the baked Alaska parade, the buffet Dutch high tea, the crew show to name what I am sure is not a full list. They are not in an order of importance and possibly not all are important, but what I ask is have these things persuaded younger cruisers to K. I think not. So ......... what have they now included that will encourage them to come, and when you look at it very little. Any daytime entertainment is exactly the same. They make a big thing about the music walk, but that has really not changed much. We had a music walk before along the promenade deck with music in each lounge. The big music band in the Queens Lounge to me sounds very like Hal Cats - loud and raucous, the B and B pianists - yes there are two of them together who both sing and seemed quite popular but in fact the music seemed similar decades to before. The only real improvement was the Classical quintet who were really good and captured a huge audience, but would they necessarily appeal to younger cruisers. Apart from that you have two new a la carte dining areas. Sel de Mer seemed to attract people though not overly so, and as for the culinary arts centre - I never really got the hang of that and never saw anyone there. The only other new attraction was Blend - a very expensive outlet where you can taste and blend your own bottle of wine.

I suspect HAL have thrown out the baby with the bathwater. Despite what they obviously think, they need their older returners. Attracting younger people needs a Carnival, Royal Caribbean approach. Not that any of us want that!

Oh and one other thing. We questioned our waiter about the crew show. He said they could not do one because they had no props. If, and I say if, the books (without shelves) are coming from Statendam, could the crew props not have come too. He said they really do not know if it would come back.

We were also on this Rome to Rome cruise and enjoyed every minute. It is a beautiful ship and with the usual fantastic crew. We agree with posters that the music area for the Lincoln Center Live needs to be a bit more private. This excellent venue was often overwhelmed with the chatter from the bar area opposite. Loved the shows and the high tech screens that complimented the shows.

Also LOVED the handwashing stations although by the second week I think DH, DD and I were the only ones using them. ALSO while everyone is so concerned about Norovirus, would someone please tell passengers to cover their coughs and sneezes! The Lincoln Center area sounded like a TB ward with one participant sipping Robitussin during the show so I am going to assume there was a large contingent with upper respiratory virus. However, we all came home with a similar upper respiratory virus after we were showered by a fellow passenger who sneezed in the elevator and never covered that sneeze! Those free wheeling coughs and sneezes are just as dangerous as unwashed hands.

• 4 weeks later...

We cruise Princess, HAL and Cunard primarily. It is amazing to me how much the various lines are copying one another, some good and some no so.

I think it is okay to copy the good things offered by another lines so that a cruise ship has the best of everything. However, Koningsdam copies the beautiful dance floor from Cunard, but fails to use the dance floor with good music for people to dance or for passengers to watch. Every night with BB King Club music and the band sings pretty much the same playlists. Boy, we were so bored on this ship and will not return to HAL. We had a great time on Nieuw Amsterdam, but not this cruise on Koningsdam.

However, the food in the MDR was very good. So, other than eating, we got nothing to do at sea.

We were also on this Rome to Rome cruise and enjoyed every minute. It is a beautiful ship and with the usual fantastic crew. We agree with posters that the music area for the Lincoln Center Live needs to be a bit more private. This excellent venue was often overwhelmed with the chatter from the bar area opposite. Loved the shows and the high tech screens that complimented the shows.

Also LOVED the handwashing stations although by the second week I think DH, DD and I were the only ones using them. ALSO while everyone is so concerned about Norovirus, would someone please tell passengers to cover their coughs and sneezes! The Lincoln Center area sounded like a TB ward with one participant sipping Robitussin during the show so I am going to assume there was a large contingent with upper respiratory virus. However, we all came home with a similar upper respiratory virus after we were showered by a fellow passenger who sneezed in the elevator and never covered that sneeze! Those free wheeling coughs and sneezes are just as dangerous as unwashed hands.

We got home two weeks ago and I cannot get of that virus. Just today I have had to cancel seeing friends, seeing a family member who is visiting from overseas, visiting my elderly mother who has dementia and our planned visit to see Vivid, the light show in Sydney.

Honestly enough to give up on cruising!

I think it is okay to copy the good things offered by another lines so that a cruise ship has the best of everything. However, Koningsdam copies the beautiful dance floor from Cunard, but fails to use the dance floor with good music for people to dance or for passengers to watch. Every night with BB King Club music and the band sings pretty much the same playlists. Boy, we were so bored on this ship and will not return to HAL. We had a great time on Nieuw Amsterdam, but not this cruise on Koningsdam.

However, the food in the MDR was very good. So, other than eating, we got nothing to do at sea.

Agree with you and the OP completely. We will not sail on K'dam again - it just isn't what we are looking for but, for HAL's sake, I'm glad there are some who do like it.

We didn't have a tape measure so can't say for sure, but it really did feel like our balcony stateroom was smaller - we felt cramped and lacking in storage space neither of which have been the case on HAL before. And not only did we notice the lack of seating, we thought that most of the art in the public spaces was of a much lower quality (looked like a lot of Photoshop stuff in many places). The food seemed to be using bigger portions in place of higher quality and the MDR has too many seats looking directly into service areas. The menu and service in the PG was good but we didn't like the changes to the decor - we missed the elegance we've enjoyed on other HAL ships. We like to walk on the Prom deck but didn't enjoy it on K'dam as there are too many places that are very narrow making it hard to navigate when lots of people are walking at different speeds and where it was wider the view was too limited. The changes to the Ocean Bar were sad to see (normally our favourite place but we had a grand total of 2 drinks there in 13 nights). And, without a good Ocean Bar, there were no bars that we really liked for exactly the reasons the OP has noted.

We did have great experiences with the staff and liked the Dutch Cafe very much. But, for us, the negatives of K'dam far exceeded the positives. Good thing there are other HAL ships to look to - we just hope that the directions on K'dam in terms of entertainment don't spread to existing ships.