captain kates vacation

watson50

hello everyone.we will be on the Summit again for the June 12th sailing. Hooray!Doe's anybody know if Capt. Kate will be onboard then? I heard that her vacation time is coming up.And, is the Sunset bar still there? thank you.

hello everyone.we will be on the Summit again for the June 12th sailing. Hooray!Doe's anybody know if Capt. Kate will be onboard then? I heard that her vacation time is coming up.And, is the Sunset bar still there? thank you.

Sunset is still there, I know she posted the day she's leaving in her Instagram account....I want to say 6/12 is the day she's leaving but I could be wrong

Does anyone know how long she will be gone? I have no idea how long their breaks are.

We are sailing mid July and were disappointed that she won't be on our sailing as she sounds so great!

19th Jun is her last cruise for 3 months so you are good

I was wondering the same. Is she a better captain or something?

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

I have never sailed with her, but I can attest to the fact that there are better captains than others!

I would not sail on the Silhouette again if I knew the captain was the same one that I had on last Christmas cruise.

The captain does (or at least can) make a difference in the atmosphere on the ship, especially with the crew!

Some Captains are good.Some Captains are great. We chose this cruise for convenience and rate.So when we come aboard,we personally want to welcome Captain Kate.So climb down from your mountain,Ok mate. sailed Celebrity 15x.Summit 6x

Edited by watson50

Being a captain is a 24/7 job. Not only does Capt. Kate navigate, she gets out and mingles with the guests. After 3 months on the job, she needs a break. In January, we were on the Summit with Capt. Alex Popodopolus were was wonderful. He was funny and full of energy. We got a chance to share coffee with him. Fantastic guy. Last summer, we sailed on the Summit with Capt. Koufetsis who was wonderful. We have sailed with him on the Silhouette and on the Eclipse. He has great stories. Leave the sailing of the ship to the captain and have a nice trip.

I loved Captain Kate. Of course the most important thing is that the captain can handle the ship, but it is nice that she is so friendly and personable, too. I remember being on one ship (yes, I remember which one but don't want to name names) where it was clear the captain did not really want to participate in any of the social activities and he always looked grumpy. I can't complain because he did get us back and forth safely, but it is always nice when the captain makes guests feel welcome.

Do you book your cruise in order to see Captain Kate? Just curious! I know some people

prefer certain Butlers and will book accordingly!

Also my thoughts. I am sure that most people would not make so much fuss about her if her name was Captain Richard instead of Captain Kate.

Also, I feel that specifying any captain (male or female) by their first name is inappropriate. Being a Captain is a major job with major responsibilities. You do not address people with that level of responsibility in any profession by their first name.

DON

Also my thoughts. I am sure that most people would not make so much fuss about her if her name was Captain Richard instead of Captain Kate.

Amen. I'm getting really tired of these weekly Captain Kate topics. She might be Celebrity's best or worst Captain when it comes to actually managing the Bridge (nobody on here is capable of evaluating that) but just because Celebrity puts her photo on every marketing brochure (solely because she's female) and because she spends a lot of time acting funny with passengers she's suddenly the best Captain. Weird.

Amen. I'm getting really tired of these weekly Captain Kate topics. She might be Celebrity's best or worst Captain when it comes to actually managing the Bridge (nobody on here is capable of evaluating that) but just because Celebrity puts her photo on every marketing brochure (solely because she's female) and because she spends a lot of time acting funny with passengers she's suddenly the best Captain. Weird.

Yes, why would any company want to market a successful outgoing captain.

i was on the 4/9 sailing and really didn't g

care who was the captain. i was more interested in the ports since there were 3 i had never been to. i only saw her at st thomas but heard her every am reading her friend Confucius sayings. i am one of those people who don't care who the c.d. is. i vacation once a year, maybe 2x if lucky and i like to focus on islands not who the captain is. as long as it isn't an incompetent junkie, i don't think it should be a deal breaker.

Also, I feel that specifying any captain (male or female) by their first name is inappropriate. Being a Captain is a major job with major responsibilities. You do not address people with that level of responsibility in any profession by their first name.

DON

She calls herself Captain Kate (Just look at her Instagram account). I had the opportunity to speak to her twice, maybe 3 times, and I personally addressed her as Captain, but she didn't seem to mind if others said Captain Kate.

People are excited about meeting her because she's the first American female Captain of a cruise ship. Maybe its Ho Hum to some, but to others its a big deal.

Of course she is qualified to run a ship, I don't think any cruise line would entrust a multi-million dollar ship, and the lives of 3000 +/- people to her if she wasn't. I am sure Celebrity having a female CEO played a part in Celebrity having the first female captain. She was probably chosen for several reasons besides her qualifications. PR is part of the job when you are a first, and someone outgoing and attractive doesn't hurt.

BTW I've seen people make a big deal out of meeting or having dinner with a male captain as well. Maybe its the uniform.

Edited by Rosethorn40
spelling