Trip Protection Plans

Do you buy this from Royal or a third party company? Is there something out there that allows one to cancel for any reason at their discretion or more specifically that would allow a family of 3 (2 adults and one child) and one other family member (aunt) to get a full refund if say the child was sick and couldn't go? In words it would need to cover all of us if one of us couldn't go due to illness. Also is there something out there that would cover air and other expenses that would be lost in such a scenario? Does this typically come with medical our would that be a different policy on top of this? We would need this for a transatlantic from Europe to Florida if that matters.

Any advice is appreciated.

Make sure you read the terms and conditions bc some insurance companies that offer "cancel for any reason" you must purchase the insurance within 14 days of your initial payment (deposit).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do you buy this from Royal or a third party company? Is there something out there that allows one to cancel for any reason at their discretion or more specifically that would allow a family of 3 (2 adults and one child) and one other family member (aunt) to get a full refund if say the child was sick and couldn't go? In words it would need to cover all of us if one of us couldn't go due to illness. Also is there something out there that would cover air and other expenses that would be lost in such a scenario? Does this typically come with medical our would that be a different policy on top of this? We would need this for a transatlantic from Europe to Florida if that matters.

Any advice is appreciated.

Used to buy trip insurance thru RCL, then I found out that it only covers cruise fare only unless you also book air fare via Choice Air (RCL arm).

3rd party is best... Think about it...if RCI went "under" for some reason...do you think the insurance would pay? I would bet not!

The Royal Caribbean Travel Protection Program is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, Ohio;

There is no Cancel For Any Reason that would refund you at 100%.

Best you could hope for is 75%. Depending on which policy you purchase and who from, this could be a cash refund or it could be a credit to a future cruise.

The Royal Caribbean Travel Protection Program is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, Ohio;

My dad just retired from transamerica. His signature is probably in that policy somewhere. Lol. He is a lawyer.

Let me preface this by saying that for the past 6 years, I have been dealing with a special needs dog which made it difficult to both plan and enjoy a cruise. I always needed to be able to cancel for any reason.

So, any time I booked with Carnival, I purchased 3rd party. In fact, I had to cancel my January Journey cruise and they would have refunded my airfare had I asked for it to be refunded. However, I felt I would probably use the credit within the year and told them to hold off. They told me if I don't use the airfare, they could always amend my claim and add it back in.

For RC, I like the way they charge for insurance bc while you need to advise them at the time of booking that you want insurance, you can still cancel the cruise up until final payment and never needig to pay for said insurance.

We bought from IMT and went with Nationwide Essential for our family. We had to file a claim for the whole family/whole trip as a family member who would have been traveling with us became ill and was admitted to a hospital a few days prior to travel. We used the trip cancellation feature. Our plan was comprehensive and had other coverage which we did not use. They paid as promised with no hassle. Took about 3 weeks to receive our reimbursement after all the paperwork was submitted.

Our cruise was to be from Galveston to the Caribbean.

Our coverage did not have cancel for any reason.

Read your policy carefully prior to purchase.

Our policy allowed cancellation up to the point of departure and we did have the pre-existing medical condition waiver.

We just bought insurance for the first time, because my husband had two co-workers go out on medical leave and we were afraid his leave might be revoked. We needed something that could be purchased this close to departure and included work related cancellation. We were assured today his leave was safe, but are keeping the insurance just in case something happens. We have his two brothers joining us, so figure better safe than sorry.

We use 3rd party. Used to go through insure my trip. This year used squaremouth website. Good prices and very easy user friendly

Another vote for squaremouth.com. I am also Nicky from SC. :)

Hey Breezer! :-) fyi, paid about $140 for trip cancellation/interruption + medical for 51 yr old, 54 yr old snd 6 yr old. For my MIL it was about $100 for 77 yr old. She chose to get just medical for $45. Pay attention that medical is primary.

34fe7216c6b6e98a341e5f39712ec47e.jpg

This was the breakdown of what I just paid for my Oasis cruise 3 weeks ago. $298 total for 2 people. The payouts are what each person would get if we put in a claim. I covered my air/cruise fares, hotel and medical.

Most insurances for cancel for any reason and pre existing medical conditions you have to buy insurance within 14 days of initial payment.

Edited by Godiva830

Guest Nellsmom58

Like others said, 3rd party is USUALLY best, but not always, especially if you are over 65, when costs skyrocket due to age and you have to pay close to booking. Read policies carefully and consider costs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Maybe a weird question, but if you get insurance do you have to insure everybody in your party? We have a friend joining us for our January cruise, so 3 on one reservation, but he's paying his own fare. Would all three of us have to be insured together, or could I insure just my husband and me and he'd insure himself if he wanted insurance?

Edited by awestover89

For my last cruise I bought insurance for just myself, and to cover only medical (no pre-existing conditions) that included medical evacuation. At 76, I'm a little more concerned about a broken bone, stroke or heart attack that would necessitate my removal from the ship. It was $78 for a 7-day cruise. I haven't checked yet for the 14 days on next year's b2b. Might depend on how I've been feeling later this year. I didn't get insurance for my daughter. Told her she would just finish out the cruise and return home with her prepaid airline ticket.

Maybe a weird question, but if you get insurance do you have to insure everybody in your party? We have a friend joining us for our January cruise, so 3 on one reservation, but he's paying his own fare. Would all three of us have to be insured together, or could I insure just my husband and me and he'd insure himself if he wanted insurance?

If you take cruise line insurance, you have to insure everyone on the booking.

If you purchase insurance directly from a third party or broker, you don't. But it is also age dependent when you purchase insurance from an outside source (cruise line insurance is not) After you reach an "age", third party travel insurance becomes expensive. (depending on coverage)

Just compare what sort of coverage that you need from several sources.

My mom at 80 (and her friend, also old) were too expensive to insure from outside insurance. Cruise line was cheaper, even though everyone (4) of us had to take it.

Edited by Coralc

I am in australia so perhaps not relevant to you but I purchased an annual policy to cover my family as I needed it anyway for my work with an international organisation (UN).

It cost $517 AUD for the whole year and covers medical evac and cancellation (and more)

It depends on your age. The RCL insurance is not age dependent while almost all the others are.

That is why we now just purchase RC insurance. We are in our late 50's and dad is 88. Once the company's started charging based on age it became very expensive. So the little bit that Royal offers is better than nothing.

Also with Royal, Cruise Protection is added to my account but I don't have to pay for it until final payment. I don't have to deal with trying to get a refund if I cancel my trip before final payment.

In the past I used to purchase third party insurance when final payment was made but now you must purchase with 14 days (most policies) in order to cover pre-existing conditions.