Pure selfish

Dajo5601

It confuses me why people get angry about this. I've got no qualms moving towels from unused deck chairs if I've seen nobody sitting there for 20-30 minutes.

When I'm looking for deck chair(s) and I spot some that look like they've been vacant for a while, I'll simply ask those nearby if they've seen their 'neighbors' in the last 30+ minutes. If they're not around the immediate area, IE. in/around the pool, bar, bathroom etc. Sayonara abandoned towels. If they've gone to go somewhere else to sit and eat. "Buh Bye towels"

If they're going to be that inconsiderate to other passengers, I've got no reservations policing their left towels.

Want to save chair(s) and head off somewhere for a little bit?....Then expect to leave someone to stay there to save them while doing so.

Perhaps you can make up a laminated sign that says I'm in the pool, and hang it over your lounger.
I like it. Although to be complete it would have to include a photo (like me in a Speedo - they wouldn't be able to unsee that picture ;) and hopefully wouldn't be looking for me in my regular swimsuit).

I hardly ever set near the pool for any length of time. However, when I am in the pool I often have to put my things (towel, t-shirt, etc) on a chair near the pool because there is not anywhere else to put them. I do keep an eye on them and at times have to have a chat with someone that tries to move them (often when they have been there less then even 15 minutes, let alone 30), without checking that the owner might actually be there and using the pool.

Princess should put a set of shelves near each pool, divided into bins, where those people like me, that primarily use the pool, can put our things while swimming. Would not take much space at all.

I usually try to remember to suggest cubbyholes on the post cruise survey.

I was trying to find the photo I took on a previous cruise of the sign on the Golden Princess, but it's eluding me right now. It does say there's a 30 minute limit. So if someone does drop towels, etc. on a deck chair and isn't back in 30 minutes (and no one's in the pool), the chair is not theirs and you can offer it to anyone who is walking around looking for a chair.

On my last cruise, I was looking for a chair in the shady area to watch a movie on MUTS. One chair had a paperback book and a shirt. I asked the people in the surrounding chairs if they knew the person. They all said no. I asked if any of them have been there for at least 30 minutes and some said yes. So I took the book and shirt and moved them to a table while saying, "You didn't see this." I got smiles for an answer.

I was there for at least an hour when a woman came over and with a sheepish look on her face took the items. So obviously she knew what she had done. If she had confronted me, I would have said I didn't know anything about her stuff, but also would have pointed in the direction of the sign and suggested she read it. I'm not going to be bullied by someone who is being selfish.

I know that I am going to get flamed on this but who cares. If they leave a towel. I put it in the used towel bin. If they leave a book, I take it to the book exchange shelf in the library. If they leave something that appears to be of value although I can't imagine why anyone would leave something of value, I take it and turn it in at the front desk as lost and found. On occasion, I move things that do not seem to be of value to a lounger in a less desirable spot on the ship. To answer those who will accuse me of stealing stuff, I never take anything. I just relocate them.

DON

I like it. Although to be complete it would have to include a photo (like me in a Speedo - they wouldn't be able to unsee that picture ;) and hopefully wouldn't be looking for me in my regular swimsuit).

I used to be able to wear Speedos - back when I was 18-19; that was about 150 years ago, or was that pounds ago?😳

You paid for your cruise which included the right to use a pool chair. So if these people grab it and take it "off the market" but don't use it, it's like they're taking something you paid for. Just move their stuff and sit on the chair. To avoid problems, graciously and innocently move if they ever come back, which they probably won't. You might ask the people around if nobody's been there for a while before taking the chair. You have a right to use it; they don't have a right to reserve it/hog it. That's the facts. They need to realize not everything is only about them.

I know that I am going to get flamed on this but who cares. If they leave a towel. I put it in the used towel bin. If they leave a book, I take it to the book exchange shelf in the library. If they leave something that appears to be of value although I can't imagine why anyone would leave something of value, I take it and turn it in at the front desk as lost and found. On occasion, I move things that do not seem to be of value to a lounger in a less desirable spot on the ship. To answer those who will accuse me of stealing stuff, I never take anything. I just relocate them.

DON

But who's watching your chair/stuff while you are walking this stuff back to the front desk?

Yup, don't even try to find a table for breakfast or lunch on a glacier scenic sailing day. Those people are PARKED there for the day! :mad:

I don't see anything wrong with that as long as they're using the seat. It's a little different then someone laying down an article & leaving for hours.

Some issues we saw with hogs on our last cruise:

we heard multiple announcements made telling passengers that the tables at Horizon Court were for people to eat and were not game and card playing tables. It's hard enough to find a place to sit down and eat without people hogging them for games.

In Princess Theater we know some groups would send one person to reserve seats an hour before the show. Their companions would arrive a few minutes before showtime.

If the theater was full some passengers would stand along the wall to watch. They tried to stay out of the sight lines of others watching the show. Then other late arrivals would come in and stand in front of them or on stairs blocking the view of seated guests. Some of these view blockers would refuse to move when asked saying they had a right to see the show.

However the worst we saw was people arriving early for trivia and rearranging chairs and tables in the area while people were still in a zumba class. That was a safety hazard for people doing zumba tripping over people in their workout area.

Edited by UT-Volsfan

DON

Why would you think you'll get flamed? The chair hogs aren't here, they're at home hogging chairs.:D

I think there's something wrong with me--I'm actually enjoying reading this thread. But I'm that person who has smoke coming out of my ears when I see people being so obnoxious as to prevent others from enjoying public spaces.

And...I've been inside...and in balconies. Yeah, balconies are better!

15 minutes and that's it. If they are not there then the towel gets taken off. I am frankly fed up with chair hogs. I have seen people "reserving" a pool chair at 7:00 am and not returning until the afternoon. Well I do the same as others, if its unoccupied for 15 minutes and I need the chair because there are no others, I take the towel off. Too bad, so sad!

I think there's something wrong with me--I'm actually enjoying reading this thread. !

Me too.

I wish more pool-side chair hogs would leave large sun hats along with their towels. Then when I lay down with my feet on the towel I'd have something to keep the sun out of my eyes too. :D

EXACTLY!

Whenever we see this behavior, in the buffet restaurant or the main lobby, we always say "Look, the inside people!". :)

We book inside cabins about half the time... we would never use a buffet table unless we were actually eating at the time :(

There are plenty of other places to socialize without preventing others from enjoying venues meant for eating and drinking.

Edited by snapdragon7

Explorer's lounge, last fall: As we sat down in 2 chairs, a lady (why is it always a lady?) says that "those seats are taken". DH says, "Really, her lap is quite comfortable!"

Edited by Murphey

I don't see anything wrong with that as long as they're using the seat. It's a little different then someone laying down an article & leaving for hours.

The buffet can get very busy at meal times, though. If someone is no longer eating (and perhaps hasn't been for hours), I would think they would make way for people roaming with plates full of food and nowhere to sit.

EXACTLY!

Whenever we see this behavior, in the buffet restaurant or the main lobby, we always say "Look, the inside people!". :)

Wow! What snobbery.

We have done inside, outside and balcony and would never dream of depriving those of a higher class of their tables.

Wow! What snobbery.

We have done inside, outside and balcony and would never dream of depriving those of a higher class of their tables.

Good for you. You know your place. ;):p People who book inside cabins are not as entitled as those who book balconies, apparently. :rolleyes:

I don't see a person sitting alone at a table by the window as selfish until you ask to sit and are told to buzz off. Many times I've asked if I can sit, and almost always the person says "yes." I haven't found it necessary to ask if she is booked in an inside cabin and to then point out I'm in a balcony.

Good for you. You know your place. ;):p People who book inside cabins are not as entitled as those who book balconies, apparently. :rolleyes:

I don't see a person sitting alone at a table by the window as selfish until you ask to sit and are told to buzz off. Many times I've asked if I can sit, and almost always the person says "yes." I haven't found it necessary to ask if she is booked in an inside cabin and to then point out I'm in a balcony.

But maybe I could trump them by playing my black card.

15 minutes and that's it. If they are not there then the towel gets taken off. I am frankly fed up with chair hogs. I have seen people "reserving" a pool chair at 7:00 am and not returning until the afternoon. Well I do the same as others, if its unoccupied for 15 minutes and I need the chair because there are no others, I take the towel off. Too bad, so sad!

Wow only 15 minutes. Your tougher than Princess. :D

The buffet can get very busy at meal times, though. If someone is no longer eating (and perhaps hasn't been for hours), I would think they would make way for people roaming with plates full of food and nowhere to sit.

It's not usually that crowded except at peak times.

My personal bugbear is the International Cafe, especially on sea days. Card games, books, etc, not a drink or food in sight. We are very conscious of the lack of seating and leave as soon as we have finished eating/drinking.