Pure selfish

Dajo5601

Obviously a chair is in use when- there is a cover up on the chair. Flip flops next to the chair and/ or a lanyard, sun block or a book. No one comes to the pool in bare feet and a swimsuit. A "clip" shouldn't be the thing that enables one to figure out when they plunked their stuff. One would see one's stuff and probably one's friend or spouse sitting next to one's stuff.

As for not going on a cruise because of this complaint. I am NOT going on another Caribbean cruise due to this situation. I was embarrassed because I talked friends into doing a cruise and they may rethink it- due to this. I told them that we should do Alaska next.

I don't know why it bothers me so much to see people, on sea days, at 7am, laying out towels on a bunch of prime chairs. Not always but usually is a grandma. What's worse is I've seen them mark off the same number of chairs in the shade.

After our last Caribbean we got so frustrated we also said we would never go on another Caribbean cruise. I mean how many times can one go to St. Martin. Boy doesn't that sound obnoxious. Problem is AI resorts are generally more expensive and we see the same issue there.

I wonder sometimes what goes through a persons mind when they are doing these things. Are they really oblivious to their actions and don't give it a second thought? You know, the early bird gets the worm. If they are aware that it bothers most people do they just don't care. The attitude that it's my vacation, I paid a lot of money for it and I'll do what I damn well please whenver I damn well please. This kind of mindset not only permeates lounge chairs by the pool but seats in the theatre, buffet tables, pushing the envelope on dress code and so on.

We've never been on the high end lines, Crystal etc. Wonder what it's like on those ships. Also never been on one of the mega ships from RC. How do you fit 6000 people by what, four pools?

On our last cruise I decided to head back to our room for some relaxing time on the balcony after having several drinks at the pool bar, as I stepped on the balcony I nearly screamed!

that's it,,,THAT'S THE FINAL STRAW !!!

,,,,, I had forgotten I had left a towel on the lounger ! ;)

On our last cruise I decided to head back to our room for some relaxing time on the balcony after having several drinks at the pool bar, as I stepped on the balcony I nearly screamed!

that's it,,,THAT'S THE FINAL STRAW !!!

,,,,, I had forgotten I had left a towel on the lounger ! ;)

That lounger is probably still empty!

I don't know why it bothers me so much to see people, on sea days, at 7am, laying out towels on a bunch of prime chairs. Not always but usually is a grandma. What's worse is I've seen them mark off the same number of chairs in the shade.

I wonder sometimes what goes through a persons mind when they are doing these things. Are they really oblivious to their actions and don't give it a second thought? You know, the early bird gets the worm. If they are aware that it bothers most people do they just don't care. The attitude that it's my vacation, I paid a lot of money for it and I'll do what I damn well please whenver I damn well please. This kind of mindset not only permeates lounge chairs by the pool but seats in the theatre, buffet tables, pushing the envelope on dress code and so on.

We've never been on the high end lines, Crystal etc. Wonder what it's like on those ships. Also never been on one of the mega ships from RC. How do you fit 6000 people by what, four pools?

I really think they have an entitlement mentality--"I paid a fortune for this cruise and I'm going to make sure that my family has seats." This is especially true for the grandparents who have paid for the entire extended family!

I'm still the B****. If your bottom isn't in the chair, it isn't your chair. Towel clips or not....when you donate a chair to the ship and get your name engraved on a plaque, maybe it can be your chair. Until then, too bad, so sad.

As to pools on the mega ships--don't even think it. You can't swim. You usually can barely get wet. They are more like "human soup." Sometimes the adult only pools are a bit better.

Why is anyone surprised by these selfish behaviours?

When you sail on a mass market cruise, many of your fellow cruisers are members of the ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME Generation.

Their attitude is "ME first and the hell with everyone else".

The cruise lines are afraid to address the problem and alienating their core customer base.

Complain as much as you like - hopefully the complaining makes you feel better.

The problems and bad behavior will only get worse as more and more of these people reach retirement age.

The only good news is most of these people will not or cannot afford to cruise on a good cruise line. If you outspend them and travel "Business Class", you will see very few of them.

It is.

When I read cruise critic, I see from the responses how

horrible it is to be on princess cruises.

I simply can not understand how people complain so intensely

and then repeat the same experience.

It it is 'disgraceful', why would you return?

Do they just want new material to complain about? Or, is

there simply nothing that makes them happy, so why change?

Additionally, there seem to be lots of people who are the center

of the universe and thing every crew member, staff member and

officer is a member of their personal police force, duty bound

to ensure all other passengers behave as the 'should'

I might see your point about chair hogs, food, the crowded theater, etc., but I draw the line in regard to the smoking issue.

And if he were still alive, I believe Mr Richard Liffidge might agree with me.

When you sail on a mass market cruise, many of your fellow cruisers are members of the ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME Generation.

The problems and bad behavior will only get worse as more and more of these people reach retirement age.

I have never noticed selfishness as being a generational issue. And, trust me, some of them already are retired.

Why is anyone surprised by these selfish behaviours?

The cruise lines are afraid to address the problem and alienating their core customer base.

Complain as much as you like - hopefully the complaining makes you feel better.

The only good news is most of these people will not or cannot afford to cruise on a good cruise line. If you outspend them and travel "Business Class", you will see very few of them.

And many of the cruisers are members of the OLD, OLDER, OLDEST generation and they are just as bad.

DON

My funniest experience was on a caribbean cruise sea day. A few days earlier we were up early and went to the pool, got a couple of chairs and settled down to have a few hours doing not very much. We had only been there about 15 minutes when a 'lady' with an arm full of towels came up to where we were sitting, gave us a glare and set up her area next to us (one lounge each person plus a chair each for their belongings)

A few days later we decided to have another pool time - I headed up to the pool(as we are early risers there was no one else there). As I am walking towards the chairs we had previously sat at, I saw the lady from the day before heading towards the chairs from the other direction (almost at a run!) I was much closer to the chairs, so as I came level with them, she suddenly threw her towels(followed by a pair of shoes) at the prized chairs.

I was quite startled so stopped dead - as i did she drew level with me, pushed past me, sat on the chair and said "these are MY chairs". I burst out laughing and wandered on and found a couple more chairs, which wasn't difficult as apart from this lady there was no one else there.

My funniest experience was on a caribbean cruise sea day. A few days earlier we were up early and went to the pool, got a couple of chairs and settled down to have a few hours doing not very much. We had only been there about 15 minutes when a 'lady' with an arm full of towels came up to where we were sitting, gave us a glare and set up her area next to us (one lounge each person plus a chair each for their belongings)

A few days later we decided to have another pool time - I headed up to the pool(as we are early risers there was no one else there). As I am walking towards the chairs we had previously sat at, I saw the lady from the day before heading towards the chairs from the other direction (almost at a run!) I was much closer to the chairs, so as I came level with them, she suddenly threw her towels(followed by a pair of shoes) at the prized chairs.

I was quite startled so stopped dead - as i did she drew level with me, pushed past me, sat on the chair and said "these are MY chairs". I burst out laughing and wandered on and found a couple more chairs, which wasn't difficult as apart from this lady there was no one else there.

LOL! People are so strange! I would have laughed too...it's absurd! :rolleyes:

We prefer the spa pool and apparently so do a lot of the chair hogs.:rolleyes:

Several times when we've gone there all or almost all of the loungers are "reserved" by a towel, even though there is no one in or around the pool!

Totally agree Princess and fellow passengers should be more assertive.

I would have had NO problem removing all but about 4 towels. Sorry, chair hogs, but I'll go toe to toe with you every time!!

And many of the cruisers are members of the OLD, OLDER, OLDEST generation and they are just as bad.

DON

IMHO the younger people hog because they really don't know any better and don't really give it a second thought. Their minds are on other things.

Wherever I've been be it a cruise or a land resort, it's the older generation that know exactly what they are doing at 7am putting towels on six chairs. It's that nana mentality be it food, boyfriends, careers I.e., taking care of her brood.

The look of instant gratification is readily evident when her troops march out to the pool at 11am and take their rightful place amongst the anointed ones and say thanks nana for holding our chairs.

Last Feb on the Ruby, DW and I were enjoying the view from the stern. We were standing at the rail because all loungers were "reserved". Nobody was in them. We were there for at least 2 leisurely drinks (an acceptable unit of time on a cruise) when two mid 30's girls arrived from HC with plates. They looked at waves and one proudly commented to the other while pointing, "Those are our loungers right there." Then they turned and left.

After their departure, their paperback books and towels mysteriously disappeared.

Cheers

Last Feb on the Ruby, DW and I were enjoying the view from the stern. We were standing at the rail because all loungers were "reserved". Nobody was in them. We were there for at least 2 leisurely drinks (an acceptable unit of time on a cruise) when two mid 30's girls arrived from HC with plates. They looked at waves and one proudly commented to the other while pointing, "Those are our loungers right there." Then they turned and left.

After their departure, their paperback books and towels mysteriously disappeared.

Cheers

Like button!

The only problem with removing item from chairs that you believe are taken by chair hogs is how do you really know how long they've been gone. I'm all in favor of removing towels & articles from unused chairs when people are gone for a long time but when you just arrive at the pool & there appears to be a vacant chair you don't really know for how long.

Does everyone just stand around for 20 or 30 minutes waiting for them to return?

It does present a problem.

The only problem with removing item from chairs that you believe are taken by chair hogs is how do you really know how long they've been gone. I'm all in favor of removing towels & articles from unused chairs when people are gone for a long time but when you just arrive at the pool & there appears to be a vacant chair you don't really know for how long.

Does everyone just stand around for 20 or 30 minutes waiting for them to return?

It does present a problem.

No, you don't have to stand around for 20 minutes. Ask the person at the next chair whether anyone has been sitting there recently. If they say no, you take the chair.

No' date=' you don't have to stand around for 20 minutes. Ask the person at the next chair whether anyone has been sitting there recently. If they say no, you take the chair.[/quote']

It doesn't always work that way. You're counting on that person's observations & most times they're not counting minutes when someone's gone. It could be 15 minutes, 30 or 45. Who knows? I usually go for lunch at the buffet which could be as long as 25-30 minutes & when I briefly return I go in the pool for 15 minutes. It might mean my chair is vacant for quite a while till I actually sit down. Does that mean I should give up my chair? :rolleyes:

I'm certainly not giving up my chair because I'm gone for periods of time.

I've tried vacating my seat & it doesn't always work since there are so many people who don't play by any rules.

There's not really a good solution to solving the problem.

It doesn't always work that way. You're counting on that person's observations & most times they're not counting minutes when someone's gone. It could be 15 minutes, 30 or 45. Who knows? I usually go for lunch at the buffet which could be as long as 25-30 minutes & when I briefly return I go in the pool for 15 minutes. It might mean my chair is vacant for quite a while till I actually sit down. Does that mean I should give up my chair? :rolleyes:

I'm certainly not giving up my chair because I'm gone for periods of time.

I've tried vacating my seat & it doesn't always work since there are so many people who don't play by any rules.

There's not really a good solution to solving the problem.

Yes, if you're gone for lunch and then a swim your chair could rightfully be taken by someone who is going to use it.

Yes, if you're gone for lunch and then a swim your chair could rightfully be taken by someone who is going to use it.

I believe Princess even says that there's a 30 minute limit before a chair is up for grabs. I limit my trips to under 30 minutes each & never had any problems losing it.