Pure selfish

Dajo5601

I have posted this before, but I still think it is funny, so will repeat.

A few years ago I got up early, grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down at a small table one deck above a pool area.

A man walked out with his arms full of towels, books, and flip flop's.

I waited until he had "saved" two chairs, then I started to whistle a little tune.

He heard me and looked up at me. At that time I held up my camera by the strap and let it swing back and forth.

He dropped his stuff and took off like a track star. The funny thing was that the camera was still in its protective case.

Bob

Agreed' date=' most of the time it is not adequately enforced. However, I've also seen the Staff Captain up on the pool deck directing CMs to take anything off an unoccupied chair and place it in a box. Seems they'd had enough complaints to enforce the policy and they were merciless. Shoes, books, etc. were boxed. Towels were sent to be washed. A few people hopped out of the pool to sit on their chair!

OK, this was the aggressive end of the policy, but clearly they were not into giving anyone the "watch and wait" time.

I've also been "That person" in the theatre. On one cruise, there was a family of 17 that would send one child to save an entire row of seats. When the kid tried to tell me that I couldn't sit there, I suggested politely that he show his father in the Navigator where it says "No saving of seats in the Walt Disney Theatre." [i'] And we sat in "his" row[/i]. The father tried to tell me that I had to move--I suggested that he go and get a CM and we'd see what the policy was.

I get a kick out of people trying to save seats. I had the same thing happen to me on the Ruby and Emerald. Two people tried to save a whole row. On the Ruby, when they tried to tell me my DW and I could not sit in the row, I said; "Ich spreche kein Englisch" as we walked by them and sat right in the middle of the row.

As far as the pool goes, way back in 2008 (first Princess Cruise on the Emerald) I watched a "reserved" chair for an hour and did not see anyone even come near it. I walked over and removed the towel and sat down to enjoy the sun and my adult beverages. About 15 minutes later, an older female approached me and said I was in her chair. I told the young lady that I watched the chair for an hour and saw it unoccupied. I then told her in my opinion, the chair was fair game. She then screamed at me for about 2-3 minutes that if I didn't immediately vacate the lounger, she was going to get her husband to remove me. I told her to do whatever she thought was right. She stormed off never returning with "her muscle."

Lastly, an Explorer's Lounge story. One night DW, myself, her DS and DS's hubby went to the Explorer's Lounge to see a comedian. When I went to sit down, this elderly female tried to tell our party that the four seats we were trying to sit in were taken. I told the young lady this was against Princess' policy on seat saving. The female started to scream (can't say on CC what she said) that I was basically a devil. She then stormed off.

Amazing on just how rude and short sighted some people can be.....:(

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

As far as the pool goes, way back in 2008 (first Princess Cruise on the Emerald) I watched a "reserved" chair for an hour and did not see anyone even come near it. I walked over and removed the towel and sat down to enjoy the sun and my adult beverages. About 15 minutes later, an older female approached me and said I was in her chair. I told the young lady that I watched the chair for an hour and saw it unoccupied. I then told her in my opinion, the chair was fair game. She then screamed at me for about 2-3 minutes that if I didn't immediately vacate the lounger, she was going to get her husband to remove me. I told her to do whatever she thought was right. She stormed off never returning with "her muscle."

Bob

Well, if her husband did come over and try to 'remove' you, he might get kicked off the ship. I think the lady threatening you should be grounds enough for taking it up with Princess. Now, wouldn't that just be sweet karma!!! But I get it ... just funny enough that she never returned with 'her muscle'. Thanks for posting ... this makes me chuckle.

I had an unbelievable experience at the adult pool on Regal. I like to take a dip in the pool and just need a place to dry off after- so that I'm not dripping through the ship.

So my two friends and I went to the adult pool and were able to find two loungers. I said- you take the chairs and when I get out of the pool if no one is sitting next to you- I'll dry off there. Well- the chairs were "taken" next to them- but no one had been there on my arrival and no one was there now- 30 minutes later. So I sat on the lounger. No sooner did I sit down when two older ladies came over and stared at me. I said to the more menacing one "Is this your chair" and she said it was- so I scooted over to the end of my friend's lounger. She put another towel down on "her chair" and promptly walked away with her friend. The woman never came back in the next 30 minutes and was not in the pool. So when I got up- I took the two towels she had left on "her chair" and put them in the bin. The nerve of some people- you don't own the chair for the day. Sit your butt in it or get in the pool. Otherwise- it's up for grabs as far as I'm concerned.

Great job! I have cleared many chairs in my days up on deck. Don't sit up there much anymore since I no longer cruise the Caribbean. Not really an issue in Alaska or the Med but I won't hesitate to do it again ;)

I hardly ever set near the pool for any length of time. However, when I am in the pool I often have to put my things (towel, t-shirt, etc) on a chair near the pool because there is not anywhere else to put them. I do keep an eye on them and at times have to have a chat with someone that tries to move them (often when they have been there less then even 15 minutes, let alone 30), without checking that the owner might actually be there and using the pool.

Princess should put a set of shelves near each pool, divided into bins, where those people like me, that primarily use the pool, can put our things while swimming. Would not take much space at all.

Perhaps you can make up a laminated sign that says I'm in the pool, and hang it over your lounger.

I have posted this before, but I still think it is funny, so will repeat.

A few years ago I got up early, grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down at a small table one deck above a pool area.

A man walked out with his arms full of towels, books, and flip flop's.

I waited until he had "saved" two chairs, then I started to whistle a little tune.

He heard me and looked up at me. At that time I held up my camera by the strap and let it swing back and forth.

He dropped his stuff and took off like a track star. The funny thing was that the camera was still in its protective case.

Bob

Well played sir. If we ever meet up on a future cruise the first round is on me.....:):):)

Bob

It's not even chair hogs and theater seat hogs anymore:rolleyes:. We just returned last week from an AK cruise with window hogs in the buffet! We had several "large" groups traveling together...and every morning they would park one person at each window side table for the day on sea days and late port days. It was bizarre... and don't ask if you can sit down!

It's not even chair hogs and theater seat hogs anymore:rolleyes:. We just returned last week from an AK cruise with window hogs in the buffet! We had several "large" groups traveling together...and every morning they would park one person at each window side table for the day on sea days and late port days. It was bizarre... and don't ask if you can sit down!

Book a Suite for the Sabatini's/Crown Grill daily breakfast.....:D:D:D

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

This could be so easily prevented if there was an attendant handing out towels and not the self-serve that the ships provide. No one should be allowed to take more than two towels out at a time. The attendant then hands out a removable sticker with the current time on it that the guest then puts on the top railing of the lounger/chair. If the guest walks away from their lounger for more than the allowed time (1/2hr?) then that lounger is up for grabs. New person takes sticker off and applies their own. Then again, I am sure someone will find a way to get around that, too. :rolleyes:

I remember few years ago we had an early excursion and we had to go to the buffet for a quick breakfast, I hate the going to the buffet. The place was packed, not a seat to be had. I spotted a table for 8 with 2 people sitting at it with a large platter of Eggs Benedict on the center of the table. My wife and I sat down at the end of the table and they said that this table was being saved for their friends who were on their way. I said when they come we’ll leave and proceeded to eat our breakfast, she goes BALASTIC!! Telling me that they are saving this able for their friends. I tell her that when they show up I’ll leave, she continues to go off, we ignore her and continue to eat our breakfast. After a few minutes her husband says, “I guess the rest of them aren’t coming” so they get up and leave. They haven’t been gone 15 seconds when 4 people asked if they could sit down, “sure no problem, I’ll share my table”. The people at the table next to us laughed and said that people had been trying to it there for over 30 minutes and they ran them off. You were the only one who sat down and had the guts to stay and eat your breakfast. The best part was later on our excursion my wife overheard this couple talking about the jerk couple up in the buffet that sat down at their friends table and wouldn’t leave and that Julia was pi$$ed to no end and it pretty much ruined her day. We still laugh about how mad I made Julia. I’m a big man and my little wife says that I can be very intimidating, not that I try to be.

Yup, don't even try to find a table for breakfast or lunch on a glacier scenic sailing day. Those people are PARKED there for the day! :mad:

Its kind of hard to quote everyone here, but I do agree with all and the ones who stood their ground bravo. My wife and I are not big pool people so this part is not a huge deal to us but if we were:eek:!!! Lastly the seats we save is for us (theater, lounges ect...), and one of us is sitting there waiting for the other to get there, get drinks, bathroom break whatever the case is. Down with the HOGS!

Its kind of hard to quote everyone here, but I do agree with all and the ones who stood their ground bravo. My wife and I are not big pool people so this part is not a huge deal to us but if we were:eek:!!! Lastly the seats we save is for us (theater, lounges ect...), and one of us is sitting there waiting for the other to get there, get drinks, bathroom break whatever the case is. Down with the HOGS!

There is a difference between a 5 minute run for drinks or a bathroom break, leaving your "other half" to save ONE seat vs. leaving your towel, jacket, or whatever to hold a seat for hours.

We prefer the spa pool and apparently so do a lot of the chair hogs.:rolleyes:

Several times when we've gone there all or almost all of the loungers are "reserved" by a towel, even though there is no one in or around the pool!

Totally agree Princess and fellow passengers should be more assertive.

Hi J!

Exactly! And that's the reason I feel that towels don't hold chairs. I observed that since there is no bin by that pool lots of folks just leave their towel behind when they leave. Plus at the spa pool is easy to count noses and those usually have more than just a towel (shoes, a robe or bag while they're in the pool or hot tubs, etc).

Edited by Ferd Berfle

I may be wrong but my feeling is that Princess is extremely reluctant to enforce any of the rules on board ship with the possible exception of smoking. It seems to me that they have a policy not to upset people who may be doing the wrong thing by enforcing the rule. What they don't seem to realise is that there are more people who do the right thing that are being upset. One day Princess may realise that.:)

Yup, don't even try to find a table for breakfast or lunch on a glacier scenic sailing day. Those people are PARKED there for the day! :mad:

Exactly! We came thru mid morning and saw the two ladies from the cabin across from ours taking little cat naps seated at 2 separate tables in the horizon court while on guard duty protecting their tables!

Edited by Magellan321

How about the "hogs" who put towels on chairs both in the sun and in the shade so each person has TWO. :D

I saw this on a cruise a few years ago. These three older women had reserved three loungers in the shade under the deck above and three rows forward were using three loungers there. I watched the three unoccupied loungers when I saw one of them return to the shaded chair to get something. So I simply removed the towel from one of the end chars and sat in it. The hour I was there, they never tried to reclaim the lounger. They got the award for the ultimate chair hogs.