Mendenhall Glacier... What is your thoughts?

azbeachbum2016

Cruise in sept would like see Mendenhall Glacier any suggestions on how to see it? Should we book thru princess? Go out on our own? What did everyone think of the glacier? Is it a must see? Or is there something better to do in Juneau? Thanks for everyone's suggestions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My husband and I did an Alaskan cruise early June 2014 and just off of the ship

we caught a blue bus to Mendenhall Glacier. The bus was right there and we were able to buy tickets at a kiosk. We loved the glacier! It in my opinion is a must see. We enjoyed a walk down very close to the glacier and there is a waterfall right there too. Very beautiful area and a great spot to take pictures!

We did a Mendenhall glacier and city tour through Celebrity. It included entry into the visitor center. Time was limited though, so the choice was the hike to the falls or visitor center view the glacier and see the salmon spawning which is also at MG. Near the area to catch return bus. We went in late August and weather was spectacular

Another vote for the el cheapo bus to the glacier. It takes 20-30 minutes one way and runs regularly, so you stay as long as you like. There's more than one walking trail and all very easy with no major inclines. All the paths except the end of the path to the waterfall, are paved so if you need to push a pram or wheelchair it's no problem. There's also a black bear viewing area. We were fortunate to have a very large female cross the path in front of us on the way back from the waterfall. All very safe with the rangers taking care to keep people at a distance. We were amongst the few people on our cruise who actually saw bears.

It's a terrific experience especially if you don't want to fork out a few hundred dollars for a flight. And remember, if the weather's bad they fly anyway and you may not see much at all. There's also no refund if you cancel. Whatever you decide make sure you get back to Juneau in time to have a beer at the famous Red Dog Saloon.

Given the choice of seeing the glacier or not - I'd definitely see it. We took the Princess excursion that included a visit to a Rainforest garden, the glacier, and an all-day tram ticket. The rainforest garden was very nicely done - a paved trail that is mostly flat and maybe 0.3 mile with local flora in season marked clearly. The couple who run this park are long-time Alaska residents who were friendly and knowledgable. They offered cookies and tea at the end of the walk. We had a very personable bus driver who kept the group laughing and who pointed out many things we woudln't have seen otherwise. The glacier was busy with many tours - but - we didn't feel crowded. It's a 2 mile walk to the waterfalll round-trip and should be done fairly soon after getting off the bus to ensure enough time to do it. We had enough but it was more than a stroll for those who think 2 miles is a long walk. Still, seeing the waterfall up close and personal was fabulous and the view of the glacier from the waterfall is spectacular. A plus was that the view back toward the visitor center from the waterfall/glacier was amazing. We were lucky to have a clear, sunny day. I'm not sure I'd have made the walk in the pouring rain. The tram was definitely a must for picture taking (again, clear day). I thought it was well organized and efficiently run. We didn't spend much time in Juneau otherwise. It's a toss up, I think, as to your comfort level in choosing a Princess/ship-run excursion over a local one - but seeing the glacier was a highlight of our trip and definitely worth doing. :)

They must have raised the price of the Blue Shuttle Busses. I don't remember the exact price we paid, but it was definitely less than $30 RT. It was closer to $20. However, as I said in my previous post, it was easy and worked out really well.

Cinegraphic how long is the walk to the waterfall and is it an easy hike? And can you see the glacier from the falls? And if we take the cheap city bus what would the stop be to get off?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would guess the length of the hike to be just about a mile..maybe a little over. It is a very easy hike. You can definitely see the glacier from the falls

We've been to Alaska several times and have another booked for this year. I definitely think Mendenhall Glacier is a worthwhile site ... especially if your first or only time in this port. I would follow it with a trip to the Red Dog Saloon, as others have mentioned. Very fun thing to do.

The tour companies raised their prices because park is now having them collect the admission fee. Now trails are part of fee area. You can take the city bus, but it drops off about a mile downhill from the visitor center. See the Alaska board for more details.

There is a good view of the glacier from the visitor center and the boardwalks, although quite a ways off. Is this a must-see? Not really. But it is about the only glacier in Alaska you can drive to. Because it is far off you won't get the sense of massiveness you will see looking UP in Glacier Bay. Whale watching is probably a better choice, unless you want to spring for the big bucks helicopter tours.

Edited by LeeW
more

I would guess the length of the hike to be just about a mile..maybe a little over. It is a very easy hike. You can definitely see the glacier from the falls

I read that it takes approximately 45 minutes to hike there and back, so a mile sounds about right.

On our last cruise to Alaska, we kayaked in Mendenhall Lake through this company: http://beyondak.com/trips/glacier-lake-paddle/

At that time, they did not offer the guided kayaking excursion that now shows up on their website. We were on our own on the lake. It would have been great if we had had better weather. Nevertheless, it was still pretty good and we had great views of the glacier--closer than the people who hiked the waterfall trail got.

One last point. This was our second Alaska cruise. Our first time to Juneau we did a private whale watching tour (fantastic....with Harv and Marv) and a glacier helicopter landing (probably the best excursion we took that trip....with Coastal Helicopters). My point being, we enjoyed Mendenhall Glacier but it doesn't compare to some of the other options.

In the process of setting those two tours up. Which one did you do first? How much time did you have between the two?

In the process of setting those two tours up. Which one did you do first? How much time did you have between the two?

We did the whale watching excursion first. Harv and Marv dropped us off as soon as it was over at Coastal Helicopter. Most of the others in our group were dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did a whale watch tour and then they dropped us off at the glacier. We were supposed to be back within 45 minutes to get the bus ride back to the ship, but we knew we would never make it down to the waterfall and back, and actually have time to enjoy the scenery, so we asked around, and there were several busses available to take us back to the ship. I think we ended up giving the bus driver $10 per person for the trip back.

I would highly recommend stopping, especially if you're going to be in port for most of the day...I think we were in port for around 11 hours...

The walk was just under a mile- the sign says 3/4 of a mile, but it felt like it was a bit further...

IMG_4077.jpg

Here are a few shots from last June when we were there, to give you an idea of what you would see both from the visitor center area, as well as after the hike to the waterfall (which was spectacular!)

View of the glacier from the visitor center look out area:

IMG_0541.wm%20-%20Copy.jpg

Zoomed in shot of the glacier alone...

IMG_4058.jpg

This one gives you a bit of an idea on what kind of trail it is... for the most part, it was easy to navigate. there were a few steep spots on the trail, but if you take your time, you shouldn't have a problem:

IMG_0487%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy.jpg

If you're looking for a "beach" this is about as close as you're going to get in Juneau... You could wade right out into the water, however it was COLD, as it was from the glacier... there were a few kayaks in the area, but I didn't get any pictures of them...

IMG_0494%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy.jpg

this picture shows the glacier in relation to the waterfall... I would say it's probably about 200 yards away from the base of the waterfall:

IMG_0526%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy.jpg

Take the cheap bus, don't stop at the visitors center unless you want to hit the potty before you hit the trail.

It's a lovely walk to the waterfall.

Have fun on the hike back telling people walking towards the falls that they just turned off the water for maintenance. :D

This is a National Park, and there is a day use fee to be paid at the Visitor Center. Stop there to get the lay of the land and then walk as you please.

Just getting away from the crowds on the trail by a little bit is magical. And not having the stress of a tour's "be back by X o'clock" is great.

We took the bus from near the pier - check out the Alaska ports board for the name.

The Forest service now charges a $5 fee to go to Mendenhall Glacier unless you have a National parks senior pass http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2011/10/lifetime-senior-and-access-park-passes-now-available-mail8952 the Blue & White bus ticket sellers collect the $5 fee Forest service fee. If you show your Senior pass you’ll get $5 off the price of the $30 ticket. The Senior pass is good for you and 3 of your best friends. http://usparks.about.com/od/natlparkbasics/a/SeniorPass.htm The Senior pass is also good in Ketchikan at the Forest service Discovery Center.

We have cruised Alaska twice. First time cruise only and second cruise and land.

First cruise with our daughter in her 20's..........we did the helicopter ride to the glacier........it was the most amazing tour and the other family also with teen daughter in our copter..........we all decided that this was the best tour and well worth the price $$$..........would do it again in a heart beat............second cruise did a photo op tour and saw base of glacier and also whale watching ..........although wonderful not even close to landing and walking on the glacier

Historically, the only way to step foot on Glacier was helicopter or rigorous 8 mile hike. Starting this year, there is a new tour to paddle across lake and trek around the glacier. I did this tour last week and it was terrific. Was able to go inside an ice cave!

IMG_4961_zpsq6htzdag.jpg

IMG_4989_zpszbzv06ks.jpg

IMG_5007_zpsfzlmfh6z.jpg

IMG_5005_zpshs67famw.jpg

IMG_5009_zpsoxncznad.jpg

IMG_4968_zpsrrawhktc.jpg

Historically, the only way to step foot on Glacier was helicopter or rigorous 8 mile hike. Starting this year, there is a new tour to paddle across lake and trek around the glacier. I did this tour last week and it was terrific. Was able to go inside an ice cave!

Now that is really cool! When we were there 9 years ago there was a Princess "Canoe" excursion offered. Trouble was the "canoe" was more of an extended row boat seating 10 or so people plus the guide. We could not get closer than about 100 yards from the glacier and the only stop we did was by the water fall. In retrospect I would never recommend that tour if it is still offered. The one you did looks great.

The canoe trip looks like work! And the hiking! Awesome, awesome pictures. Utterly amazing. Since I can't do the canoe and hiking part I'm going to have to resort to the helicopter. I just started laughing out loud imagining me do the hiking. I would slide down the hill and into the water. Might take a few of you out on the way. It is just the kind of girl I am.

If someone is going to fall, trip or walk into a wall, I'm your girl.

edit: see as soon as I wrote this I pickup my pad, which is attached to my clock, pulled it forward and knocked over my glass of water. You really can't take me anywhere

Edited by notentirelynormal

IMG_4961_zpsq6htzdag.jpg

IMG_4989_zpszbzv06ks.jpg

IMG_5007_zpsfzlmfh6z.jpg

IMG_5005_zpshs67famw.jpg

IMG_5009_zpsoxncznad.jpg

IMG_4968_zpsrrawhktc.jpg

This looks amazing! Who did you do this tour with?