You have to be kidding me?

scameron7

We had a cruise on the Jade for next March cancelled about 2 weeks ago, l called and had the deposit credited back to my card. No problems at all. It took 5 business days. This is the third time this has happened to us, always a 10 or more day cruise. We're looking at other options now.

Sorry for the issues you are having. We are waiting for a refund and it appears to be taking around 8 weeks in many cases (and from what others have been sharing). I'd think they'd want to issue the credit via credit card company as that would reduce their credit card transaction fee by netting against overall charges.

That's not always the way it works. The merchant may incur a fee to issue a credit, and not all merchant accounts refund the original transaction fee. Some restrict issuing partial credits after 120 days, etc. Larger companies usually face the more stringent rules because they enjoy better interchange rates due to their volume ... but they aren't as "flexible" as the expensive small volume processors like Stripe.

But, they should send out the checks on time.

I think this is just another example of customer no service by NCL. It seems to becoming a regular occurrence with them. I've had a few issues with them myself. Hope it all works out for you.

I think this is just another example of customer no service by NCL. It seems to becoming a regular occurrence with them. I've had a few issues with them myself. Hope it all works out for you.

Not sure what you mean. A customer with a big checkbook wants to charter the biggest ship in the fleet for a week. NCL accepted the charter and cancelled that cruise. That's smart business.

Now, NCL does not owe the canceled customers anything. NCL is trying to help those customers displaced by this charter. That's smart business.

I have been on cancelled cruises and got far less than what NCL is offering. Yes, it sucks. But I understand it is smart business and we worked around the cancellation to our advantage.

As a frequent cruiser, I am happy when cruise lines make smart business decisions that ultimately help keep overall prices down.

Just a quick update. I've yet to receive a return call from NCL.

@birdtravels, I agree it's smart business if a cruise line can fill a ship with a charter. For the most part I agree, however; I would think that smart business should also be about simple customer service, not suggestion that I am looking for a big reward by requesting a conversation with a rep from NCL, but I find it rather insulting and not good business sense to offer customers displaced a $50 OBC and having them incur an out of pocket expense in excess of the "gift".

I'm one of the lucky ones when it comes to how much I am out of pocket, there are others that are impacted further. ( there is a roll call on this topic).

As far as booking travel I do book prior to 60 days. Depending on where you live prices at 60 days increase dramatically, so I see no issue with booking early if a great price comes your way.

I too am a "seasoned" cruiser and this will be my first time with NCL. I am excited about the cruise but no so much with my experience for this particular situation. Nonetheless the less, I'm sure this too will pass.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

@birdtravels, I agree it's smart business if a cruise line can fill a ship with a charter. For the most part I agree, however; I would think that smart business should also be about simple customer service, not suggestion that I am looking for a big reward by requesting a conversation with a rep from NCL, but I find it rather insulting and not good business sense to offer customers displaced a $50 OBC and having them incur an out of pocket expense in excess of the "gift".

I'm one of the lucky ones when it comes to how much I am out of pocket, there are others that are impacted further. ( there is a roll call on this topic).

As far as booking travel I do book prior to 60 days. Depending on where you live prices at 60 days increase dramatically, so I see no issue with booking early if a great price comes your way.

I too am a "seasoned" cruiser and this will be my first time with NCL. I am excited about the cruise but no so much with my experience for this particular situation. Nonetheless the less, I'm sure this too will pass.....

Guess what???? If you treat people respectfully, they will treat you the same way. If you are a jerk, you probably won't get much consideration.

I have not known NCL to turn down any legitimate claim or request for compensation. When NCL cancelled our cruise last year and we had to shift a week, we were offered $300 pp airline change fee (since it was in Europe). It actually cost us the $300 pp in change fee plus a few hundred dollars in a difference in fare to move our flights. I calmly and professionally submitted a claim for the total fees paid to move our flight and [several months later] got a check in the mail for the total amount. Same with our hotel cancellation fees.

Others here on CC went in with guns blazing, threatening the cruise line with law suits, and got exactly what the published offer was.

NCL is now out to screw anyone. They have to make smart business decisions. And they treat their passengers with respect,,,, if you treat their personnel with respect.

Our observation,,,,

@birdtravels, thanks for your reply. Just to clarify, I have been professional and respectful in all contact with NCL. I am happy to hear your situation worked out, hopefully ours will as well. My review was to try to understand if anyone else is experiencing that challenges we are facing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Guess what???? If you treat people respectfully, they will treat you the same way. If you are a jerk, you probably won't get much consideration.

I have not known NCL to turn down any legitimate claim or request for compensation. When NCL cancelled our cruise last year and we had to shift a week, we were offered $300 pp airline change fee (since it was in Europe). It actually cost us the $300 pp in change fee plus a few hundred dollars in a difference in fare to move our flights. I calmly and professionally submitted a claim for the total fees paid to move our flight and [several months later] got a check in the mail for the total amount. Same with our hotel cancellation fees.

Others here on CC went in with guns blazing, threatening the cruise line with law suits, and got exactly what the published offer was.

NCL is now out to screw anyone. They have to make smart business decisions. And they treat their passengers with respect,,,, if you treat their personnel with respect.

Our observation,,,,

With regard to hotel cancellation fees....why would you even have them?

As a frequent European traveler I have found that you can do many things....

1. You can book directly with hotel and not pay the first night and actually negotiate rates

2. You can book directly with hotel and pay 1st night which is totally refundable within 72 hours of checkin

3. You can book with a 3rd party and pay 1st night and still have it fully refundable

4. You can book 3rd party and save a few euro and make it non refundable

I would guess that it's #4 that you chose but I do hope your hotel loss was only for 1 night because to prepay the entire cost is silly as anything can happen including the hotel being unacceptable to you upon arrival

Travel insurance covers costs not covered should Ncl cancel a cruise btw and Ncl doesn't offer enough to "make you whole"

The monies coming to the OP are not refunds they are reimbursements for funds that were spent with other vendors besides NCL. There is no way to refund money to a CC that was not paid on that CC, that is why they have to send checks out for these fess.

As far as the $78 while I think NCL should pick it up they never agreed to do so all they said they would pay was the change fee, not an fare increases. Doesn't make it right but that is how it is, and the solution is to cancel the cruise after you get the check and book with a different line.

Having dealt with some charters I can assure you that NCL makes a lot more money on a whole vessel charter than they do selling the cabins to individuals. They are in business to make money and I applaud them for doing things like full ship charters. If people don't like the way NCL works they should sail with another line.

OK, just to confirm, if we get travel insurance through NCL (which we haven't yet) if our cruise is cancelled, they will cover airfare losses?

We are on the Epic in September, do not have travel insurance, but I'm strongly considering it now.

Thanks,

Mallory

OK, just to confirm, if we get travel insurance through NCL (which we haven't yet) if our cruise is cancelled, they will cover airfare losses?

We are on the Epic in September, do not have travel insurance, but I'm strongly considering it now.

Thanks,

Mallory

You should look into buying from a 3rd party insurer as many do by going to insure my trip dot com. But that is IMHO of course ymmv

I would be very nervous about Ncl covering your other losses unless airfare was purchased thru them at their high price and inconvenient flight times

I'm not sure but I always thought Ncl insurance just covered the cruise cost plus it is much more expensive than 3rd party

Also if Ncl is the insurer and they are the ones cancelling for a charter....hmmm. I dont feel comfortable with that as they may put certain restrictions....such as you must rebook with Ncl etc

Again not sure but based on the incredible amount of misinformation Ncl gives out anything is possible

I prefer 3rd party and if I had any questions regarding the scenario you may or may not find your self in I would call the trained insurance rep at the website mentioned

They are very nice and knowledgeable

I buy travel guard silver plans thru that site

Please do remember to ask detailed questions of the rep though

I find in this day and age everyone seems to abbreviate their questions and just don't follow thru with subsequent questions....thus getting incorrect and or incomplete info

I see it on these boards constantly and yes that is why my posts...while many might consider them drawn out....are complete and concise

Some things need detailed info. Many dont understand that these days.

Edited by luvtheships

Thanks,

Mallory

also, take a look at your credit card benefits..... many have trip cancellation \ interruption coverage that may be sufficient

I don't think NCL is being unreasonable. Yes, they are responsible for a trip-in-vain which is why they are covering the change fee up to $300.

What they are not responsible for is the fare itself or the fact that you booked a non-refundable fare.

Another future option is to book air travel through the cruise line, then it's all their problem.

I was cancelled twice before settling on my current Epic booking. It happens. They worked with me. Some things turned out better others not so much. But I know we will have an awesome trip. I feel NCL was fair with us.

Edited by DMH15

I am not so enamored with 'smart business practices' that are at the expense of customers. I don't think the practices are necessarily keeping prices down ... I think they are keeping profits up for the owners. Of course there is nothing wrong with making a profit. It is what capitalism is all about. But lets not pretend that the bottom line is about anything other than profit.

If NCL wanted to keep some costs down, maybe they could send out fewer glossy, colorful brochures to people advertising Free At Sea promotions.

Yes, as many suggest, we are all free to choose another cruise line or another method of vacationing all together. I think many people are doing just that.

My experience with NCL and NCL Guest Relations throughout this process has been nothing short of disappointing and a joke, to say the least.

I was also cancelled on for the 11/5/16 Escape sailing and while the cancellation did not bother me, the way I have been treated since truly has.

Wait times of over 45-minutes for no answers is unacceptable and by the time I was able to talk to someone, the individual was beyond rude, abrasive, and showed zero compassion or willingness to compromise. Yesterday's wait time was 58-minutes!

NCL is losing a loyal 15-year customer to say the least, hope it is worth this charter and failing to reimburse consumers for their costs as a result of it.

If you have an issue and need Guest Relations you are probably better off going straight to the Better Business Bureau or small claims court as the Guest Relations group will take you hours of time just to get their attention.

Just my two cents on the matter.....

vicbomb, have you sorted the issue out yet?

I am having so many problems with NCL guest relations for this cancelled cruise.

Unfortunately the Coordinator for Guest Relations had no interest in trying to sort out any of my issues, literally. Beyond rude, zero interest in compromising, he essentially inferred it was all my fault I didn't record phone calls with what was promised prior.

I've filed my formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau as of this morning and small claims court is next, they should not treat consumers in this manner.

How about you: :)

-Vic

better off going straight to the Better Business Bureau

Too funny. The BBB has less influence than being bitten by a toothless, old dog.

There are far more effective ways online than using a fossil like the BBB.

Social media often garners better results or a travel troubleshooter like elliott.org.