Required Documentation Question

DeeT

Is a passport and driver's licence enough for our Bermuda cruise out of NY or do we need birth certificates too???? I copied this from the NCL website.

For closed-loop sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other valid WHTI compliant document.

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

State certified U.S. birth certificate

Original certificate of U.S. naturalization

Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad

Thank you!

Sorry if a dumb question but why don't I want to take my passport with me off the ship while I'm in Bermuda? NOT THAT I EVER WOULD (!!!) but what if I was a pier runner who missed the boat and needed to fly home or something?

Thank you!

Sorry if a dumb question but why don't I want to take my passport with me off the ship while I'm in Bermuda? NOT THAT I EVER WOULD (!!!) but what if I was a pier runner who missed the boat and needed to fly home or something?

That's the only reason our passports are with us when we get off the ship in a foreign port..... we use our Ship ID and Driver's License to reboard ship but like you said..... **** happens and you may miss the boat

Edited by esm54687

Thank you!

Correct me if I am wrong ( some of the more experienced cruisers here) If you arent checked into the ship and numerous pagings for you and waiting for a while - then from what I gather is they get your stuff for you ( I assume they have an override code for the safe ) but this may be just boating myth :)

Correct me if I am wrong ( some of the more experienced cruisers here) If you arent checked into the ship and numerous pagings for you and waiting for a while - then from what I gather is they get your stuff for you ( I assume they have an override code for the safe ) but this may be just boating myth :)

Not a myth. If passport, cash, credit card etc were in safe, they're given to port agent. That's why it's a good idea to take port agent info (from newsletter) with you to port.

Passport good enough.

You want a DL so that you don't have to carry your passport off the ship (ever)[/QUOTE]

While this may be true for "closed-loop" cruises I hope you never get into trouble in a non-USA port and have to arrange to fly home. Your driver's licence is not much use in a foreign country. Can you imagine trying to get on a plane in Sharm-el-Sheik, for example,with your driver's licence? Or even getting into a hotel there?

Funny thing is that the only place I have had to have my passport to get back into the dock area and then on to the ship was in Hawai'i; my ship card was not enough.

Passport good enough.

You want a DL so that you don't have to carry your passport off the ship (ever)[/QUOTE]

While this may be true for "closed-loop" cruises I hope you never get into trouble in a non-USA port and have to arrange to fly home. Your driver's licence is not much use in a foreign country. Can you imagine trying to get on a plane in Sharm-el-Sheik, for example,with your driver's licence? Or even getting into a hotel there?

Funny thing is that the only place I have had to have my passport to get back into the dock area and then on to the ship was in Hawai'i; my ship card was not enough.

Even on a "closed loop cruise"...... passport is required to fly home from the port if you miss ship

What cruise line \ itinerary were you on that Hawaii was mandatory to have a passport?? I've flown from LA to Hawaii without the need of a passport so why would a passport be required to board the ship? Was it a reposition from Australia to Hawaii to LA? That I could understand.

What cruise line \ itinerary were you on that Hawaii was mandatory to have a passport?? I've flown from LA to Hawaii without the need of a passport so why would a passport be required to board the ship? Was it a reposition from Australia to Hawaii to LA? That I could understand.

I was on the PoA and I had gone into town, on my own, to go to a bank to get some coins. When I went back to the ship I had to pass through the dock gates and it was there I first needed my passport. Then when I got back to the actual wharf they wanted to see my passport again. Reading my notes, nowhere near as comprehensive as later ones as this was our first NCL cruise, we had to show passports to get through the dock gates when we arrived back on the bus from an NCL arranged tour.

I was on the PoA and I had gone into town, on my own, to go to a bank to get some coins. When I went back to the ship I had to pass through the dock gates and it was there I first needed my passport. Then when I got back to the actual wharf they wanted to see my passport again. Reading my notes, nowhere near as comprehensive as later ones as this was our first NCL cruise, we had to show passports to get through the dock gates when we arrived back on the bus from an NCL arranged tour.

and what would have happened had you not had a passport since none is required for that cruise since it doesn't even leave the U.S.?

Bill

and what would have happened had you not had a passport since none is required for that cruise since it doesn't even leave the U.S.?

Bill

I have no idea as I always travel with a passport. Remember that I am not an American citizen but I don't know how the dock officials knew that!!

On the bus the request was for photo ID, non-Americans were expected to show a passport; foreign driver's licences were not good enough.

Mike

Is a passport and driver's licence enough for our Bermuda cruise out of NY or do we need birth certificates too???? I copied ...

Minimum requirement is a passport. Or, a driver's license together with a US birth certificate.

Bermuda has pre-boarding US CBP clearance at the international airport. So there really isn't a need for a passport to fly. Although one would have to allow some extra time for additional scrutiny.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative#

I have no idea as I always travel with a passport. Remember that I am not an American citizen but I don't know how the dock officials knew that!!

On the bus the request was for photo ID, non-Americans were expected to show a passport; foreign driver's licences were not good enough.

Mike

OK thanks for taking the time to reply Mike Mike.:)

Bill

Mike

The reason is stated clearly in your second paragraph- non-US citizens were asked to show their passports. Non-US citizens are required to carry their documentation at all times and be able to produce it (at least that is what my Border Patrol friends tell me and I'm not about to doubt them).

Mike

Mike.... 1) never mentioned you were a non-American 2) so how could we "remember" and 3) you stated yourself that "non-Americans were expected to show a passport" means that you probably produced the passport out of habit when they asked for identification....

Now it makes perfect sense why you needed a passport in Hawaii....

Thank you for filling in the gaps with the information

Minimum requirement is a passport. Or, a driver's license together with a US birth certificate.

Bermuda has pre-boarding US CBP clearance at the international airport. So there really isn't a need for a passport to fly. Although one would have to allow some extra time for additional scrutiny.

Hi, I read and re-read this link and I cannot see anything that says a passport is NOT required for AIR travel under the WHTI.... it only details Land & Sea that will not require a passport.

Technically a US Citizen does not require a passport to enter the US whether it is land, air, or sea.... whether it's from Europe, Asia, Mars, etc..... it will take substantial time, money and effort to verify your identification but you'll eventually get in.

Can you help clarify where this is?

You still need a passport to fly from Bermuda to the US. The fact that you're clearing US immigration and customs in Bermuda before boarding the airplane rather than in the US after landing doesn't eliminate the passport requirement.

Not a myth. I was on the Spirit and we seemed late leaving port. Two female names were being called repeatedly on the PA. I saw from my balcony a member of guest services come down the gangway and hand a manilla envelope to the port agent who then opened it and looked inside. He pulled 2 blue passports part of the way out and then dropped them back in. They shook hands, and once the lady was back on board they had just started to pull the gangway in when 2 young women came flying out of the port building. The gangway was returned, the port agent gave them the envelope and they came on board. In less than a couple of minutes the gangway was in, ropes were all off and the ship was on the move. It was close. They were stranded if they were about 2 minutes later returning. It is not a myth.

Hi, I read and re-read this link and I cannot see anything that says a passport is NOT required for AIR travel under the WHTI.... it only details Land & Sea that will not require a passport.

Technically a US Citizen does not require a passport to enter the US whether it is land, air, or sea.... whether it's from Europe, Asia, Mars, etc..... it will take substantial time, money and effort to verify your identification but you'll eventually get in.

Can you help clarify where this is?

Very last paragraph:

Travelers without WHTI-compliant documents are likely to be delayed at the border as CBP officers work to verify identity and citizenship.

While passports are generally required, contrary to popular opinion airline and border officials are not heartless or complete idiots. It may take a bit of time, but someone in an emergency situation is not going to be unreasonably detained.

With pre-boarding clearance in Bermuda, the border is in the departure airport. So one simply has to clear CBP there to legally fly with photo id. The flight is technically (US) domestic.

Edited by broberts