Passport for Emerald lake?

Tutu cruiser

We are planning to rent a car in Skagway to drive to Emerald lake we just realized today that Emerald lake is in Canada. I don't have a passport and we leave in less than 2 weeks. Has anyone gone to Emerald lake without a passport?

You can probably get into Canada with little trouble. There's a check point coming back into the US and they will not let you across the border without a passport. You'll need a passport for boarding the ship, too. You should check with your cruise line for boarding requirements, but we always need a valid passport.

Edited by RSF Cruiser

Our cruise leaves and returned in Seattle and we did check and I do not need a passport for the cruise. I called the rental car company and asked if I needed a passport to go to Emerald lake and he said no, I didn't trust him so he gave me the number for border control. We called the border control in Skagway and they said as long as I have my drivers license and birth certificate I will be fine! Im still a little nervous but we are going to go for it. I would get a passport but I don't have time as we leave in less than two weeks.

The documentation required will depend on your citizenship and country of residency. I'll assume US citizen.

And, you need the appropriate documentation for BOTH crossings; going into Canada and re-entry to the US.

The US site says that US citizens must have more than a birth certif and DL. Canada will require more because they need to ensure that the US border patrol will allow you back into the US

At this point, you can't get a US passport, so you'll just have to take your chances at the border. I'd suggest having a back up activity, just in case.

For Canada:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

For USA

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/related/1/~/whti-travel-documentation-for-u.s.-citizens

This would make me nervous, and I wouldn't take one persons word for it that I spoke with on the phone, especially when it is contrary to written policy. It very well could be alright, with a lot depending on the particular border agent working that day. If you get the wrong guy, who's having a bad day you could be held up long enough to miss the ship. Last year on a fishing trip to Canada at the border the agent noticed my brothers passport was expired (to my brothers surprise), he let him enter Canada but cautioned him that US customs may not be quite so lenient on the way back in. Indeed, on the way back in to the US he was pulled in to the office for secondary questioning, which delayed us for a bit, but certainly not as long as it could have been.

After reading both web sites that Mapleleaves posted I’d be sweating bullets on this one. I think I would find something else to do while I was in Skagway. Missing Emerald lake isn’t the end of the world. If you do decide to go to Emerald lake both of you need to bring your birth certificates, I think you’ll to bring them anyway to get on the ship. Where are you from that you don’t need a passport? When did you book this cruise? We’ve been to Alaska many times and have always had a Passport.

Here's what the border looks like.... Don't think I can see any guns.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@59.7145817,-135.0466859,3a,60y,20.14h,78.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sF-9GMbHBcmWrAzP3efyUuQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You are more likely going to see weapons trying to get back to Skagway.

And this has what relevance to the question asked by the OP? Are you suggesting that because you can see no guns in the picture, the OP can just run the border. Even if they do not have guns, I would assume that they have telephones.

DON

Where are you from that you don’t need a passport? When did you book this cruise? We’ve been to Alaska many times and have always had a Passport.

On "closed loop" cruises like the round-trip Seattle cruise that the OP in on, you do NOT necessarily need a passport. US citizens (and perhaps some others, but don't quote me on it) can use their birth certificate and photo ID.

You DO need a passport for land crossings into Canada. As others have said, Canada might let you in, but you might have trouble coming back. If I were the OP, I would NOT risk missing the ship due to issues at the border.

A couple of years ago, we took my son't best friend on a cruise to Alaska with us. He did not have a passport, but had no issues using his birth certificate and photo ID. He even went ashore in Victoria with no issues. We had hoped to drive into the Yukon while in Skagway, but since he didn't have a passport, we went hiking near town instead.

We took an excursion with an external vendor that was going to Emerald Lake. Despite warning us to bring our passport, one person left hers on the ship. BEFORE WE COULD LEAVE - she was sent back to get it. We were told we would not be able to complete the excursion if everyone did not have a valid passport.

Pre 9/11, we used to go into Mexico with no problem, just needed a valid US drivers license. During that time I flew into Canada for business, and thought the rules were the same - I would just need my drivers license. I had no trouble getting into Canada, but on the return trip, the US border agent was amazed I didn't have a passport (as she should have been). She informed me, she had the authority to detain me!!! I pleaded with her, admitted to my ignorance - giving my Mexico border crossings as an example, and after some very long minutes and a lot of sweating, she decided to let me through. Fast forward to a few years post 9/11, I'm on a family vacation in Glacier National Park, and we decide we want to cross into Canada to see Waterton. No, we didn't have passports with us. This time, we asked the US border agents what would happen for our return. They were hesitant, and said IF they were there on our return, they would let us reenter, since they knew we were US citizens. But if other agents were on duty, we were definitely taking a risk. We did go, but made sure to return while the agents we talked to were still on duty. I'm telling you this story, because in this post 9/11 world, borders are more secure, and it is definitely risky to try to enter the US, even from Canada, without a passport. There's lots to do in Skagway. Even though I've been able to cross the US-Canada border twice without a passport, I wouldn't try it again...

Edited by RSF Cruiser

Considering the state of the world and the number of people entering the US illegally, I would be upset to find that more easily counterfeited birth certificates and drivers licenses were all that was necessary to get in.

The simple and direct answer is:

You need a passport.

If you do not have one, do not cross the border into Canada.

Um, no. To drive to Emerald Lake, you need a card/document suitable for entry into Canada and entry into the US. This could be a passport (classic thing we're all used to), passport card (DL-sized thingy suitable for land/sea travel), enhanced driver's license (mine says "ENHANCED COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE" across the top, and required that I show my passport and go through a two-person interview to be able to acquire; these are only issued by "border" states), and possibly a Nexus card.

Without one of those in my possession, I wouldn't even consider an attempt to cross the border.

If you don't have one of the mentioned acceptable documents to cross the border you do have the option to submit an expedited passport application. You can find out where the nearest passport office is to you on the travel.state.gov website , and find out all the application requirements there as well. It will be expensive once you add the expediting fees on to the standard passport fees. If you really want to go to Emerald Lake it is an option to explore to see if the cost is worth it to you.

Edited by PNWMomma

it is always a good idea to have passports for cruise trip.

Yes, but the original question is about 'need', not 'want'. You could argue that it's always a good idea to have two forms of citizenship ID for a cruise, but until somebody has one in hand, it's pointless to bump them to two.

There are companies in the US who will get you a passport within 24 hours..assuming it is on a business day. It is not cheap, it is not easy , it is not fun but it can be done. That said, I would not risk going into Canada or any other foreign country without my passport in hand. Maybe you could talk you way back into the US, maybe not but knowing ahead of time it would be a problem why bother trying. You could end up sitting for a while waiting for a decision at the border while your ship sails away without you.... Better to be safe than sorry.

I agree with everyone else. I wouldn't risk not getting back to the ship on time from a situation I knew was iffy to begin with. We are also renting a van and driving to Emerald Lake during our July cruise. We renewed our passports months ago. If we hadn't we wouldn't be going.

I would definitely leave some extra time to cross the border in case you encounter extra screening. I drove to Canada last summer from Vermont and discovered that my wife had grabbed my old expired passport by mistake. On the way back at the US Crossing the agent pulled me aside for extra questioning and gave me a long lecture about how a valid passport is now required. She was very nice about it, but this all added an additional 40 minutes to the crossing. Honestly, I wouldn't drive to Emerald Lake w/o a passport b/c the stress of whether I'd run into trouble would ruin it for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would update everyone! We just got back from our cruise and we had no problem driving to Emerald Lake using my birth certificate and Indiana drivers license! I would have gotten a passport if I would of had time but when we realized Emerald Lake was in Canada we only had 8 days left till we left....I'm glad it worked our so well!

Thank you for coming back and sharing that information. I used my Washington state enhanced driver’s license 2 weeks ago with no problem. They looked at all the Passports but hardly glanced at my driver’s license. I also had my passport in my pocket just in case.