Getting Away on the Getaway 5/22/16-5/29/16

erocrobro

I have used these boards to plan many vacations, so I am finally attempting to repay with my own trip review. I will try to go day by day and add pictures as I have them. I'm not sure how long it will take me, so I apologize in advance if I seem to take long breaks in between days.

This was our third cruise. I travel with just myself (43) and my three children (14, 11, & 9.) Our first cruise was an Eastern Caribbean on the Disney Fantasy (setting the bar really high, I know.) Our second was another Eastern on the Carnival Liberty (which I was dreading, but actually turned out to be a great vacation.)

When we were docked in St. Maarten on our CCL cruise, my kids kept oohing and aahing the ship docked next to us. It was the Breakaway. They asked several times if our next cruise could be on that one. Several months later, I was looking at a friend's vacation pictures from the Getaway. I knew we would love that ship! It just so happened that when I started looking at prices there was a KSF special and an offer of a free beverage package. I was sold.

This would be our first time on a Western Caribbean itinerary and our first time sailing out of Miami, so I had a lot of researching and planning to do. Luckily, I booked a year ahead so there was plenty of time. I started scouring these boards, which are very helpful but also made me worry about several aspects of the ship and NCL in general. Some of them turned out to be complete non-issues and some of them were well founded. I will try to hit on all of those areas as they come up.

First, I will post the dailies because I know that was the main thing I wanted to see when I was planning. With this being a new itinerary, I had to wait until the last minute to see them. Hopefully these will help those other planners out there like myself.

Also, if you have questions along the way feel free to ask and I will answer if I can.

We flew in the afternoon before the cruise. We always fly Southwest, so we had to go to FLL instead of Miami. As it turns out, not a big deal. It's actually only a few minutes further.

We stayed at Hyatt Place on 17th Street. I found a really great rate through Value Trips. They had a shuttle from the airport and a full breakfast buffet. The room was very big, the hotel was quiet and clean. There were several restaurants within walking distance. I would definitely stay here again.

The next morning we were picked up right on time (actually a few minutes early) by our driver from SAS. Their rate is $15 per person, so it was cheaper than a cab or Uber, even. I would recommend them to anyone needing transportation from Fort Lauderdale.

We arrived at the port right at 10:00. Porters immediately started grabbing our bags and loading them up and then we got the "this is the last time you will see me so you need to tip NOW!" speech. This is where I remembered that I had forgotten to break a couple of my larger bills to have smaller ones for tips. That porter got a little bit larger tip than I had planned, I hope he was happy!

Check in was a breeze. We don't have passports, just birth certificates, but it was no problem. They do make you sign a statement saying that you are aware that flying home for an emergency may be an issue. We were also given a letter saying that in order to avoid congestion in Costa Maya, our day there would be switched with our day in Belize. We were given our cards already marked with UBP for me and SODA for the kids. Then we went up to the terminal at 10:20 and got boarding #5. There was a lot of empty seating available, and water and coffee for the wait.

I used the time to email the two companies I had booked excursions with in Costa Maya and Belize to notify them of the changes. I got return messages back very promptly telling me they were already aware of the switch and it was no problem to come on the new date.

I then checked the NCL app to make reservations our entertainment. I knew the shows Burn the Floor and Million Dollar Quartet would not appeal to my kids and I wasn't too crazy about seeing them, either, so I didn't schedule those. We do love comedy shows, so I booked those for every night that they had one at 9:00. I knew the 11:00 was adults only, and I wasn't sure if we would be eating at 7:00 so 9:00 was perfect for us. The app doesn't tell you who you will be seeing, so if you are looking for a particular act, you have to wait until you are on board.

I also started to get my kids' phones and ipods set up because I had planned on buying the messaging service, but then I noticed the price. I had read on these boards that it was $7.50, but the app said it was $12.99 per device. Nevermind. I figured we would just see how we did without it for a while before I bought it.

I think it was about 11:30 when they started boarding, we were on by 11:40. I knew from these boards that the buffet would be crowded so we headed to the Flamingo Grill for lunch. We are not really picky eaters, so we can usually find something to eat wherever we go. I've got to admit, I was not that thrilled with the Flamingo. The food wasn't bad, I think we just are not crazy about Cuban food. I picked out a couple of things that I have read other people raving about and it just wasn't my thing. I did grab my first UBP drink from the bar, a cherry limeade, and it was great! I also discovered that the bar in there was never busy so I grabbed a quick drink there several times when my kids were on the rock wall or ropes course.

IMG_2659_zpsewlhlild.jpg

In what would become a pattern for the rest of the week, we then visited the Garden Cafe to see if there was something more to our taste to snack on while we waited for our room. My kids thought they were in Heaven! Counters and more counters lined with every type of food you can imagine! Rooms were available at 1:30 so we went to check ours out.

We were on Deck 13 aft, in an angled balcony room. The cabin was plenty big for us, and our room attendant (Randy) had the bed already split into twins for us. I loved having the larger balcony. There would have been room for at least one lounger, but I never did ask for one. I would say there is at least 50% more space than a regular balcony. You can see from the pictures where a regular balcony would be cut off. The only draw back is that the three or four rooms next to you can see onto your balcony. We were lucky, though, and rarely saw anyone else on their balcony. There was plenty of space for unpacking so we took care of that and went exploring before muster.

IMG_9550_zpsplylvuc1.jpg

IMG_9545_zpsiyx7qjxy.jpg

At 3:30, we went to the Tropicana Room for muster drill. I noticed that they already had the tables set for dinner and had tablecloths over them. I don't think I would like to eat in that dining room that night. It was very short, about 15 minutes, and then we went to find a place to watch sail away. We ended up on Deck 17. I ordered a Painkiller from that bar but it was so strong, I couldn't drink much of it. This was the first time we had a sail away when it wasn't raining so we wanted to just relax and enjoy the view. Miami is a beautiful city.

IMG_9551_zpsei3v5fyd.jpg

We didn't linger, because we were going to the Illusionarium that night at 5:30. I had booked floor seats, but I knew you still needed to arrive a little early. We went at about 5:15 and had great seats. In the center in the second row. We all enjoyed the show, and thought the food was very good. It is a set menu: caprese salad, steak and shrimp, and a dessert trio. The only thing that needed some work were the desserts.

After the show, my kids wanted to see what was on the buffet for dinner. I don't know how they eat as much as they do. My oldest discovered the crepe station and I knew where I would find him the rest of the week.

There was no comedy show that night so we went to Howl at the Moon. I love the idea of this and the musicians were very talented, but I don't think the crowd was really getting into it this night. Maybe they were all tired like us. We didn't stay very long and went back to the room and watched a movie in bed.

We woke up early, not sure what time it was. There was a card in the room the night before saying to turn clocks back an hour but all of our phones were on airplane mode so they don't auto change. It was either 7 or 8.

We decided to try the Flamingo Grill again and we were much happier with breakfast than we had been the day before with lunch. The breakfast sandwiches and yogurt parfaits were really good. I loved the cream cheese pastry, but the lime cinnamon roll was not so great.

We hit the pool deck at about 8:30. There were lots of empty seats in the children's pool area and I didn't really notice that there were many seats already saved for the day. My kids used the pool a lot and never found it to be overly crowded. This is one area that I don't think was very well planned out. There is not a lot of seating that allows you to sit and watch your kids swim. You either have to get a regular chair along the wall that divides the adults area from the children's area or sit on the wooden bench that surrounds or divides the pool. My kids are old enough that I don't need to always watch them so it was OK for us but if you had smaller kids or your kids don't swim well you may not like the set up. The splash area seemed to be crowded most of the time.

Another issue on this deck is that most of the loungers are under a roof and not in the sun. Again, this was not a huge issue for me because my fair skin requires a lot of protection but if you plan on sunning while your kids swim, you probably need to go up a deck. You could easily keep an eye on them from up there and there were always chairs available.

I noticed that the pool bar seemed to be crowded most of the time, but if you go the other direction towards the buffet there is a bar that is never busy. I got most of my pool deck drinks from there starting with a mimosa. This is also where I told my kids to get their drinks. It was very easy for the bartenders to overlook them with the crowds that were usually around the pool bar. I only noticed waitstaff roaming the pool deck on the last sea day, so you will probably have to get your own.

The slides generally opened at 10:00 and there was usually a short line, but we never waited more than a few minutes. On port days we would come back a few hours early and use them with no waits at all.

At around 10:30 two of my kids went to play mini golf but came back to swim because they said it was too crowded. It's a fairly small course so it probably doesn't take much to fill it up.

I wanted to check out the photo gallery to get an idea of package prices. I wanted to see if I should try to make my kids take a lot of photos while we were onboard or not. When I attempted to walk through deck 8 there was a $10 sale going on in the walkway between the shops. I think approximately 75% of the ships passengers were in that walkway. There was no getting through so I went back the way I came and decided to check on pictures later.

Around noon, we headed to lunch at O'Sheehan's. There was no wait for a table. The menu isn't very large, but we all found something that sounded good. We tried the nachos, fajitas, fish & chips, and some soup. It was all pretty good and we made a plan to come back later in the cruise for some of the milkshakes. If you are wanting to watch sports on TV, this is the place to be. We were able to keep up with the French Open all week.

We spent the rest of the day between the pool, slides, rock wall, ropes course (long lines on sea days), and ping pong (also a long wait).

IMG_9609_zpsymxbgybt.jpg

We decided to try Shanghai for dinner. We got there right at 5:30 and were the first ones there. We were seated at the bar so we could watch the chefs at work. There was no wait until a little after 6, but as the week went on I noticed that it got a lot more popular. The ordering was strange. You fill out one slip for your entire party, and then hope you remember what everyone ordered. When our food came, we weren't sure what each plate was or who ordered it so we just did the best we could. Everyone was happy with what they got so it all worked out fine.

IMG_9622_zpsmn4troxf.jpg

After dinner, we went up to check out the bungee trampoline and spider web slide. There was a short wait, not too bad. They soon found out the spider web is much more difficult than it looks. My oldest was too big for these, the weight limit is 120 pounds so he went up to the ropes again. He said there was no wait at this time.

IMG_9650_zpswpqfgfrr.jpg

IMG_2681_zps6tdiqnn9.jpg

We had reservations for the comedy show this night at 9:00 at Headliners. If this is something that you are interested in, MAKE RESERVATIONS! At about 8:40 we were able to walk right in and choose seats but there was a very long standby line already. At about 8:55 a rush of people came in so I assume this is when they opened the door for standby. After the first couple of days, all of the shows were booked. I was glad I made all of our reservations while waiting to board. I'm not sure how often the comedians change, but the three on our cruise were Mia Jackson, Lucas Bohn, and Warren B. Hall and they were all very funny. The 7 and 9 shows are for family, but the 11:00 is for adults only.

After the show, we went back to our room. We had worn ourselves out on this incredible ship and needed to rest up for Roatan.

Edited by erocrobro

There had been a note in our room the night before telling us to move our clocks back again. Again, when I woke up I had no idea what time it was. I did find out you can either check on the interactive TV (but I didn't want to wake anyone up) or look on the in-room telephone. When I got up to check I saw that it was about 5:00. A.M.! I have no idea why I kept waking up so early. I knew that we were still sailing and we weren't even due to arrive in port until 10:00. I couldn't go back to sleep, so I went ahead and got ready for the day. I then made some coffee and enjoyed it on the balcony. I really enjoyed the extra room on the angled balcony, even when it was just me out there.

After everyone woke and was ready for the day we decided to try Taste for breakfast. We knew we had extra time this morning and we could just relax and be waited on. The service this morning was very slow. We got right in, ordered our food at 8:00, and didn't get it until 8:35. It wasn't a big deal because we had a lot of time but I made a mental note to not come to the MDR breakfast if we were in a hurry. Also, when the food arrived we realized it was pretty much the same as the buffet food. I was hoping the waffles would be more like at home but they were the exact same ones.

We went back to the room to get our things packed up for our excursion and watched the docking from our room. The port was on our side so we had a perfect view. There were three people on a zipline to advertise the place you can do it right there in the port. It was pretty fun to watch.

IMG_9791_zpspynrgva7.jpg

I don't usually book excursions through the ship because I feel like you can get a much better experience and deal with research and planning on your own. For our day in Roatan, I chose to go with Pirates of the Caribbean. I chose the Zip and Dip package which included zip lining and then the rest of the day at the beach. The cost was $65 per person and included all transportation. Overall, we loved this day and thought it was well worth the price, but I feel like the business side of this company needs some work.

We got off the ship at 10:00, and made our way to the booths at the port. I found the Pirates booth and told the man we had reservations. He got my information and said one group had already left but he had another driver on the way. After waiting several minutes, I asked how long it would be and he said the driver was coming it wouldn't be long. We waited some more and I asked again. At 10:30, he told me there had been a traffic accident and the driver was stuck in the traffic jam. All the while, other companies had vans loading people up and driving off. I asked how that was possible and he said they were all going the other direction. Hmm... Finally at 11:00, he told us the driver was out on the street and we needed to walk out past the gates and look for him. What? Every other company had cars and vans pulling into the lot. It would be much faster this way, he said. So off we went in search of our driver. We finally found him and we were on our way.

When we got to the zipline area, I had to check in while my kids went ahead and starting getting geared up. The man at the counter wanted to see my paypal receipt. I didn't have that, but I had copies of all correspondence I had with the company including the email that said "Thank you for your deposit" along with the amount paid ($80) and the remaining balance. He finally went with that when I told him that was all I had received. I asked about a place to leave our belongings and he pointed to some lockers behind the counter but said they have no locks. I really didn't want to leave everything there so our driver said to leave it in the car and he would lock it up and it would be fine. OK. Then I asked about whether or not I should take my camera. The man said I didn't need to because there were people up on the lines taking pictures and they would put them on a CD for me and I could buy it at the end for a cost of $10 per person. I liked that idea much more than trying to juggle a camera and three kids on a zipline.

After all of that, we were finally ready to go. It may have turned out to be a good thing that we were so late getting there because we had the entire course to ourselves. Our guides were absolutely hilarious, and I could tell we were going to have fun. The first two lines have a minimum weight limit, so my younger two children had to buddy up with my oldest son and me. I was actually glad for that because I had someone to hang onto for the first super high line. I'm very scared of heights, so I needed that. After the first two lines I realized there was no one taking pictures. I asked our guide and he said, "Oh, they probably left after the big group was done." I was really disappointed because I knew we wouldn't have any pictures of this adventure.

After we got used to the process, my kids really started having fun. The guides were encouraging them to go upside down, go hands free, all kinds of crazy things. One of the things I really liked about this company is that they do all of the brake work. You don't have to worry about stopping yourself, they do it for you. We got through the course fairly quickly, or at least it seemed like it. We had so much fun and were sad when we realized we were at the end.

When we got back to the office area, one of the workers asked if we needed him to call us a cab. I said no, we had a driver, but I didn't see him anywhere. They told me that he had left a while ago. I said they needed to call him and get him back there because he had all of our things in his car. He finally showed up a few minutes later to take us to the next stop, but we got no explanation of where he had gone.

We were then taken to Parrot Tree Plantation. This was a very nice resort. There were changing rooms available and we had full use of the grounds. There were plenty of palapas available and there is a restaurant/bar on the beach. We were all very hungry so after we all got changed and settled in, I went to order some food and drinks. The service was very slow, but the food was very good. I ordered chicken and shrimp quesadillas for all of us to share. They also made excellent rum punch. Every place seems to have their own recipe, and this was one of the better ones I have tried. Here are some pictures from the resort:

IMG_2696_zpsbk9xr6da.jpg

IMG_2697_zpsrf5nr8fv.jpg

IMG_9699_zpsjr69easy.jpg

IMG_9698_zpsv7aihzj3.jpg

I really liked this beach. There were very few people here, so we didn't have to fight crowds. You can see in the pictures that it is walled off from the ocean, so the water is very calm and would be great for small children or non-swimmers. The grounds were lovely and the sand was very soft. There is also a large pool if you don't want to be in the ocean, but we didn't go to that area so I don't have any pictures.

I had arranged for the driver to pick us up at 3:10, so after a couple of hours we started to pack up and go meet him. He was there right on time and we headed back to the ship. He stopped along the way and took pictures for us at some of the more scenic parts of the island, which I thought was nice. In the end, we had a fantastic time. I just think if we do it again, we would go with a different company. I wouldn't tell anyone to steer clear of them, because the actual ziplining and beach experience was wonderful. I would, however, say to be aware of these issues and do a lot of research.

Getting back on the ship was very quick and easy. We didn't stop to do much shopping along the way. Since we were already in swimming clothes, we decided to hit the slides. There was no wait at all. It seemed like on this cruise, most people were waiting until the last minute to reboard at all of the ports.

We decided to have dinner this night in one of the main dining rooms and settled on The Tropicana Room. We got in with no wait, and were seated all the way up in the front by the stage. I think some people really enjoy this but I thought the singer was too loud and it made conversation difficult. It was also very cold in there (but take that with a grain of salt because I am always cold.)

My kids are at the age where they really don't want to order off of a kids menu, which is fine with me. I would rather they try things other than chicken strips and pizza. The MDR menus made this a little bit difficult because there weren't many choices unless you want steak or seafood. I would have liked to see lasagna or another more plain pasta dish on the every night section, then they would have always had one thing I know they would like. It seemed like they were trying to make the food overly fancy, and there just weren't many kid friendly choices. I suggest checking the menus before you go in. They have them posted outside the restaurant all day.

One of my sons and I both decided on the steak frites (steak and french fries.) I don't eat a lot of red meat, but I thought the regular menu steak was amazing. Very tender, and it had a delicious garlic butter on top. I don't think there would be any reason to order the upcharge steak, this one was perfect. The service was excellent. It didn't take long to be served, our drinks were taken care of quickly, everything was very smooth but we never felt rushed. The manager stopped by to check on us and we told him everything was great.

After dinner, we roamed around and hit the rock wall until it was time to go to the comedy show. After dark there was usually no wait.

Again, we were able to bypass the already long standby line at Headliners and head in because I had made reservations. Tonight's entertainer was Warren B. Hall. He was very funny and we enjoyed his show. I got the feeling that he would be much funnier at the adult show, but this one was great as well. The host all week was Mia Jackson and she was so funny. I really wish she would have had her own show.

After the show, we went back to the room to get things ready for the next day. The kids also were excited to see what our towel animal would be. It became our nightly ritual to watch a movie and go to bed. The free movies have some good choices, but they are played on a loop so you never know what it will be. It was sort of hit or miss.

IMG_9793_zpsasduxphh.jpg

Were you able to book the comedy shows online? I looked the other day and did not see the option under the entertainment tab. We love comedy but are used to just showing up on CCL this is our first NCL cruise.

Were you able to book the comedy shows online? I looked the other day and did not see the option under the entertainment tab. We love comedy but are used to just showing up on CCL this is our first NCL cruise.

The OP booked her shows while waiting to board in the terminal using the iConcierge app

You can't book them on the website. You either do it on the app or once you get onboard you can go to the box office or use the touch screens. I did it in the terminal while we were waiting to board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the review.

I have an angle balcony booked for my March cruise on deck 13.

What cabin did you have? Did your cabin have a full size bathroom, two sinks and full tub with shower?

I was on the Breakaway and they had "improv" comedy, not a fan of it. By your review it looks like the Getaway has regular comedians and not improv, correct?

Thank you for the review.

I have an angle balcony booked for my March cruise on deck 13.

What cabin did you have? Did your cabin have a full size bathroom, two sinks and full tub with shower?

I was on the Breakaway and they had "improv" comedy, not a fan of it. By your review it looks like the Getaway has regular comedians and not improv, correct?

We were in 13290. It was aft on the port side. The bathroom had only one sink, and a lot of counter space. The shower was a stand up with glass doors, no tub.

The comedy shows were just regular stand up comedians. Howl at the Moon was a lot more improv style.

I knew we needed to get off the ship semi-early this day, so we had breakfast in the buffet. It was crowded, but the place is so big there was always somewhere to sit. If you don't see a spot, just keep walking. The table attendants work their tails off in there to keep tables open.

This was the day of the mid-cruise laundry special. Just use one of the bags from your closet and set it on your bed when you leave and your room attendant will take care of it for you. $20 for whatever you can cram in the bag. I was amazed at how much would fit. I rolled everything tightly and was able to fit most of what we had worn so far. I really could have packed half as many clothes.

Again, disembarking was very easy. This port has a very long pier that could be problematic for some people. They do have a trolly that goes back and forth carrying passengers from one end to the other. It looked like it was slow, but could be helpful for those that need it.

We had chosen to go to Chacchoben with Native Choice. I read many good reviews of this company and booked online in advance. I had the directions to their office, it is a long walk so if you are doing this, you may want to grab a cab. It would be a short ride, but the walk was long and hot. Checking in was very easy, we were given our wristbands and some water, and loaded into a nice van with good air conditioning. It was about a 45 minute ride to the site, and the guide gave us some interesting information along the way.

Once we arrived, we had some time to shop at the souvenir stand, use the restrooms, and apply sunscreen. I had also taken bug spray but we ended up not needing it. Throughout the tour of the ruins, our guide gave us the history of the site. She would explain and then let us explore each area before moving on to the next. She was also very knowledgeable and could answer most of the questions that people asked during the tour. Another thing that really impressed me about this company was that our driver walked with us throughout the entire tour carrying umbrellas and a cooler of water. It was an extremely hot day, and that was very much appreciated. At the end of the tour we were able to shop for a few more minutes then they passed out cold towels before we got back in the van to go have lunch.

IMG_9804_zpset4hi5ki.jpg

IMG_9831_zpsworxb5iy.jpg

IMG_9850_zpsuhsxvnhh.jpg

Lunch was at a Mayan woman's home, where she gave a lesson in tortilla making. Everyone made their own tortilla, then took it over to cook it on an open stove. Then we sat down for an authentic meal. It was chicken, rice, beans, steamed vegetables, and a few other things with flan for dessert. Everything was delicious.

IMG_9863_zpseesrup7f.jpg

From there we headed back to the port, where they dropped us off at the gates so we didn't have to walk back from the office. We were all very thankful for that! I would definitely recommend this company and this tour. They were very professional and I felt like we really got our money's worth. I would caution anyone, though, who has mobility issues. It is a lot of walking. Not strenuous, but far.

We got back on the ship and immediately went to get changed and hit the pool and slides to cool off. Randy met us in the hallway and apologized that my laundry was still in the room. I had forgotten to fill out the slip that itemizes what you have in there. It was completely my fault, but he kept apologizing and was really worried about it. I told him no problem, I would fill it out if it wasn't too late but not to worry about it if it was. He said no problem, just fill it out and he would take it when he came in to make up our beds for the night.

We decided to have dinner this night in the buffet, because we didn't think we had a lot of time before the comedy show. This night it was all three comedians in the Getaway Theater. You don't need reservations for this one, and it is a great chance to see them if you can't get into Headliners. As it turned out, we were an hour early for the show because we couldn't ever figure out what time it really was. We weren't the only ones with this problem, though, because there were a lot of people there. They were finishing up a Bingo session and when it was over everyone was asked to clear the theater. We went to play some shuffleboard while we waited and found it empty.

thumb_IMG_2751_1024_zpsduwwxpwh.jpg

The show was very funny this night, especially Mia Jackson, who got extra time for her set instead of just playing host. When it was over, we went back up to the buffet for some dessert since we hurried our dinner. We got to talk to all of the comedians there, they all came in together. We ran into them a lot in the buffet as well as seeing the illusionists from the Illusionarium. It makes me wonder if they can only go there or if they are allowed to go to the regular dining rooms? After that, we did our usual movie and bed. The heat really took it out of us on this day!

IMG_9872_zps0jalegbv.jpg

We were in 13290. It was aft on the port side. The bathroom had only one sink, and a lot of counter space. The shower was a stand up with glass doors, no tub.

The comedy shows were just regular stand up comedians. Howl at the Moon was a lot more improv style.

Thank you. We have 13270. I will keep following :D

Thanks for posting! I was on the same sailing as you and I am also currently doing a review :)

I am enjoying your review as well! It is fun to be able to see some of the adult areas that I didn't get a chance to visit. I hope your trip was as fantastic as ours was. We definitely want to get back on that ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app