Trying to See the Value of a Drink Package - HELP

We had the premium package on Anthem ots a couple of weeks ago. Was $39 per day plus gratuities. Worked out great for us. The price of bottled water was $3.50 and we always order one with each alcoholic beverage we had (and that adds up over the course of the day and evening)..

PS - Not to mention, if you wanna try a new cocktail and end up hating it, you don't have to feel guilty about ditching it.

Edited by libertybelle41

I think it is more like 4 drinks is the break even point. The first thing you have to do is subtract the automatic 18% gratuity that is added to each drink. For my cruise, that brings the total to about $39 per day. 3 glasses of wine and a bottle of water and its at the cost. You can also grab a couple of bottles of water before you disembark on port days to take with you.

Edited by JZ1018

Just when I think I have made a decision, I wake up the next morning with a different one. :(

I had 2 Ultimate Drink packages in my shopping cart for weeks before I finally purchased a few days ago, so I know what you mean. :o

We got the Ultimate for $47.00 pp/pd or 55.50 after taxes, gratuities, etc. Before I pushed the button, I pulled my paperwork from our last cruise, and we paid $64.90 pp/pd after taxes for the Ultimate pkg. So I do believe this is somewhat of a sale, and I don't see the Ultimate going any lower than what we paid, so we did it. This is for a 13-day cruise (Harmony TA) with 10 sea days.

I always buy the Premium package. This is my rational: If you have two glasses of a decent wine with lunch, and two with dinner, that is $12.00 X 4 = $48.00 plus tips basically reaches the package price. Everything before, after or in between is gratis.

I know how much I spent prior the packages roll out. Than the packages came, and after doing some simple math, I discovered it is about the same price. Now throw in all the soda, and water bottles I want, and it was an easy decision. Plus now I don't have to keep checking how much I spent! It's already paid for.

If you are going to have 5 or 6 drinks a day, than get it. I always get the package.

My wife and I are going on our first cruise in 20 years (our 20th anniversary) and have been debating this as well. I am almost certain I will not get an alcohol package, but may get the replenish (I drink pop with meals once in awhile and alot of bottled water), and my wife will definitely get the refresh, as she will drink pop all day long. We are not big drinkers, but have considered getting her the drink package so she can have a few drinks throughout the day, but just don't have an idea how much we will actually drink, as it is a new experience. We have never been on a cruise (other than the 3 day on carnival 20 years ago) and have also not been to an all-inclusive. Our cruise is 5 port days on a 7 day cruise, so planning to play it by ear, but keep circling back just for the ease, and not having to think about how much you are spending while onboard. The being able to try new drinks is appealing as well, as both of us are picky.

I will continue to monitor this to see others views.

My wife and I are going on our first cruise in 20 years (our 20th anniversary) and have been debating this as well. I am almost certain I will not get an alcohol package, but may get the replenish (I drink pop with meals once in awhile and alot of bottled water), and my wife will definitely get the refresh, as she will drink pop all day long. We are not big drinkers, but have considered getting her the drink package so she can have a few drinks throughout the day, but just don't have an idea how much we will actually drink, as it is a new experience. We have never been on a cruise (other than the 3 day on carnival 20 years ago) and have also not been to an all-inclusive. Our cruise is 5 port days on a 7 day cruise, so planning to play it by ear, but keep circling back just for the ease, and not having to think about how much you are spending while onboard. The being able to try new drinks is appealing as well, as both of us are picky.

I will continue to monitor this to see others views.

First, congratulations on your 20th anniversary and celebrating it on a cruise. Just my opinion, but it does not sound like you are candidates for the "alcohol" drink package, especially with 5 port days. You are able to bring 2 bottles of wine on the ship with you, so maybe this would suffice. Hope you have a WONDERFUL time. :)

I was excited at the though of having a drink package, and being able to experiment and try new drinks. But the more we looked at it, the less attractive it became.

• We have three cabins on the next cruise, and will be taking 2 bottles of wine per cabin. We have 6 bottles to enjoy over the course of the cruise, of wine we KNOW we like. (And we will be drinking most of it, since my kids can't drink and my in-laws don't very often.)

• With a soft drink package as a perk, and spending our first port day at the all-inclusive Nachi Cocom (free flowing Corona and Dirty Monkeys), I can't imagine the amount of alcohol and specialty drinks we would need to break even. :eek:

• We might consider buying a package on Tuesday (or even better, the drink coupons!), but that's it...and after Nachi I doubt we will want it.

It helped us to look the whole picture -- what we would be doing in ports, what drink "perks" were included, and the wine. Also, to "break even" we would be looking at about 40-45 drinks each for the week, on top of the wine and the AI. That is a LOT for us! I think we will stick with a-la-carte and hope for the coupons. I do think the drink package works and works well for some people, just not us on this particular cruise.

Oh and PS...congrats Rukkian on your 20 years! Hope you have a lovely cruise!

Edited by widallas
PS

Thanks for the messages, we are really looking forward to it, and have already started looking at a cruise with the kids before the older one goes to college in 2019. Logically I can't find the value, and there is no way I would buy it for myself, but my wife keeps going to back to potentially getting it for herself. I will say, I do like that RCCI does not force everybody in the room to have the same package.

As for wine, I am the only one of the 2 of us that actually drinks wine, and it is very, very rarely (as in I don't even know what I like), and since we are going out of San Juan, I have no idea where/what I would even buy.

Best to determine what you average/day at home, cost per drink X's # of days of cruising, then take total Beverage Cost X's days of cruise & compare. With my husband Beer package, based on last 3 cruises we have done, we have saved $100 by buying him the Beer package. he Drinks 6/7 beers per day especially on sea days maybe less on port days, I just average 7 and figure the cost.

We usually try to book our cruises when RC offers 'free' Select Package... but even if not on promotion, we buy it as we quickly break even. Drink or two by the pool, pre-dinner, during meal and afterward in the Schooner and later in the club. Some of those are soft drinks or virgin cockails/mocktails but we do save money - plus there is the added bonus of not having to think how much you are spending.

But like folk have said, it all depends on how much you normally consume while on holiday. Soft drinks packages may be enough. Plus if you're a beer drinker 5 or 6 bottle beer package offers (in a cooler bag) are often for sale, at least at the pool bar.

On our last sailing 2 weeks ago there also was a 10 drinks for 85USD offer (plus gratuity) that certainly was a saving, considering cocktails were from 10USD and only a small range of wines were available on the Select Package (for wines under 9USD and beers/ciders). Something like may work better for you but then there's no quarantee it will be offered on your sailing.

all depends on how much you plan on drinking. I had a package for our 11 night serenade last year and I had to drink just 'to get my money's worth' I just wanted to try different wines, but even that was limited.

I am happy just having an occasional beer and maybe a wine or two at vintages.

Good luck

IMHO, if you have access to the CL or the DL, it's not worth it to buy an alcohol drink package.

Why? You can drink plenty at night (from 5:30 - 8:30) in the lounge. For dinner, you can typically take a drink from a bar into the DR using one of your "3 free drinks." If you want a late-night drink, go to a bar right at 8:30.

That means you have to consume all of your drinks during the day or in the late evening. If you have a port-intensive cruise, you won't be on board most days. If you go to a show at night, you probably won't drink all that much at night.

Last cruise, I think I actually paid for about 5 beers the entire time. Very liberating.

Thus, financially, it's not worth it unless you really like the expensive frozen drinks, drink a lot during the day, or really love the OJ and water. If you're doing it solely for convenience, well, it's only money.:)

Here is my thinking. I bought the Ultimate Beverage Package for our upcoming cruise.

5 (minimum) bottle water x 2.25= $11.25

3 Pellegrino x 4.00=$12.00

Soda package $8.00 a day

1 Bloody Mary (day) $10.00

3 signature cocktails $12.00= 36.00

Total $77.25

You don't have to drink a lot or be drunk for the package to work. Cruising and buying the drink package is still better pricing for most all inclusives. I don't even drink some days at all inclusives, and never feel like I didn't get my money's worth.

To me that still seems like a lot to drink. I get it's not all alcohol, but it still seems like a lot.

For anyone considering the package, all I suggest is be realistic on what you think you'll drink. Keep in mind port days and how long you'll be off the ship.

Just like some don't want to worry about "wasting" money on an unwanted drink, I don't want to worry about "getting my money's worth" and spending the last two days in an alcohol fog trying to "finish". :D

We had access to the SL, on the Oasis and will on the Allure, and while it was nice for a few pre-dinner cocktails it's not convenient at all during any other time to grab a cocktail.

Access to it didn't really factor into my decision to purchase a package. If you have access to the SL then you also have access to the suite sun deck and the walk between the two is just to long to be a factor during most of the day.

The people who get three free drinks per day loaded on their card good at any bar really have a better deal than SL access for just a "free" cocktail.

Here is my thinking. I bought the Ultimate Beverage Package for our upcoming cruise.

5 (minimum) bottle water x 2.25= $11.25

3 Pellegrino x 4.00=$12.00

Soda package $8.00 a day

1 Bloody Mary (day) $10.00

3 signature cocktails $12.00= 36.00

Total $77.25

I find the PP to be more cost effective at $44 per day. I grab a few bottled waters during the day and stock up to take back to the cabin. I don't do soda. I might do a fancy coffee after dinner.

Port intensive cruises might make a difference. But since we have sailed the Caribbean enough there are cruises where we have never gotten off the ship and Labadee counts on the packages.

So a ship day for me starts by going on deck around 9:00 AM and ends around 3:30 - 4:00 PM.

9:00 - 11:00 3-4 bloody Mary's (that's about one an hour so hardly slamming) and if you have had them you know they are small glasses.

11:00 - 4:00 5-6 beers (again about one an hour with some water thrown in)

4:00 - 11:00 PM (1-2 beers on balcony, 1-2 glasses wine at dinner, 2-3 cocktails at a show or hanging in an outdoor space)

So roughly 14 drinks (not counting water) in 14 hours. Granted I tend to taper off a little by day five. Port days would be about half that, but the average cost per drink would be more as my "cheap" beer consumption would be less.

A small side benefit to paying for a package is that you aren't mentally calculating your tab after every swipe. Or running to check your account before ordering that $11 cocktail. There is real peace of mind knowing you can get whatever you want, as much as you want and not having to worry about a tab.

I guess you could have the opposite problem where you are feeling the need to constantly stuff yourself with drinks to come out ahead. But at over $10 for these drinks and having at least three every evening plus whatever else during the day (we're over long port days) we didn't ever feel the need.

If you add in 4 or 5?bottles of water per day it really only takes 3 drinks per day to break even. I don't think the point us to get roaring drunk every day. Even on port days we eat lunch on the ship so a glass of wine with lunch, a pre dinner cocktail and a glass or two of wine dinner works for me.

A lot of people drive to the port in Bayonne and can just bring a case of bottled water with them. I put it in a carryon so I don't have to lift it or worry about the porters not taking it.

So roughly 14 drinks (not counting water) in 14 hours. Granted I tend to taper off a little by day five. Port days would be about half that, but the average cost per drink would be more as my "cheap" beer consumption would be less.

Don't kid yourself, that's a lot of alcohol.

Well, if you can afford the package, why not try it. That's the only way you'll know if it suits your habits.

We've had it every time where it has been available and found it to be good value, even with port intensive Med cruises. In July we will be first time as Diamond and are discussing whether Diamand drinks will make any difference to us. Let's see. We can always cancel the package.

For my and my husbands upcoming cruise in July we decided to both get the Premium Drink Package. We decided that even if we are borderline on “if it paid for itself” it was worth the low stress and the ability to just order whatever we want, whenever we want and knowing that on the final day of the cruise we won’t have to worry about a bill.

To me that still seems like a lot to drink. I get it's not all alcohol, but it still seems like a lot.

For anyone considering the package, all I suggest is be realistic on what you think you'll drink. Keep in mind port days and how long you'll be off the ship.

Just like some don't want to worry about "wasting" money on an unwanted drink, I don't want to worry about "getting my money's worth" and spending the last two days in an alcohol fog trying to "finish". :D

Those $10.00 frozen drinks around the pool are quite tasty, and they are not very potent. Just drink 5 of them all day and it pays for itself. Than again, I would not buy 5 of them without the package:D