Oasis (class) ... ELEVATORS !

I think we may have crossed paths with you a couple of times (near the elevators). Was it you and your wife, wearing the Pinnacle tag/pin? I did notice those!

Tom

Probably not me. I was onboard alone, and usually only wear my pin on formal nights and when attending C&A events. Too many people mistake me for a crew member (a rather old one) and start asking me questions. I know most of the answers, but they get annoyed when I don't know. Then I have to explain the difference between a Pinnacle pin and the employee name badge.

Probably not me. I was onboard alone, and usually only wear my pin on formal nights and when attending C&A events. Too many people mistake me for a crew member (a rather old one) and start asking me questions. I know most of the answers, but they get annoyed when I don't know. Then I have to explain the difference between a Pinnacle pin and the employee name badge.

Gotcha - thanks Bob !

Tom

what type of cabin is this

It's cabin #1758. When we sailed it was known as a Royal Suite, though effective the day we left (according to the online deck plans) it was renamed to: Grand Loft Suite, even though there's no loft... :rolleyes:

It occupies the space where the chapel used to be. I guess they generate more $ here than they did in the collection plate :D

I assumed that they would have changed the name on the door (Royal Suite), or removed it entirely for the 6/5 sailing, but it was still there when we left.

Tom

For sure Tom. Worst ever ! As Franky said once in a whisper - "they can be sooo un beeaarable." I remember being so excited the couple of times we made it 3 or 4 floors without stopping. Once I said we need an express and a woman said "that's the stairs". Lol.

It's cabin #1758. When we sailed it was known as a Royal Suite, though effective the day we left (according to the online deck plans) it was renamed to: Grand Loft Suite, even though there's no loft... :rolleyes:

It occupies the space where the chapel used to be. I guess they generate more $ here than they did in the collection plate :D

I assumed that they would have changed the name on the door (Royal Suite), or removed it entirely for the 6/5 sailing, but it was still there when we left.

Tom

It must not be that big a generator if they dropped it and her sister from Harmony. :eek:

Edited by John&LaLa

I've often posted here that Oasis class elevators were the most crowded of all my cruises. Then others reply as if almost offended, saying they NEVER experienced crowds on the ship much less the elevators. [emoji16]. Glad to see its not just me.

I was on Allure last month and besides the crowded elevators, I also observed a few elevators that were just wonky as heck. They'd stop on every floor even when the button wasn't pushed, they would altogether skip floors even if the button was pushed (there was one that refused to go to deck 8), it was weird.

There was also one which just kinda sat on deck 9 and didn't move for 20 or 30 seconds while all of us stood crammed in there wondering if we should try to exit....

Celisse: Deck 8 is haunted! :eek:

Halloween-Animation-GhostSwoosh.gifHalloween-Animation-GhostSwoosh.gifHalloween-Animation-GhostSwoosh.gif

I was on Allure last month. They were busy at certain times but I had many times that there were only a few of us in the elevator. I actually rode alone once. I was aft on the 7th floor. Maybe it's being so high and waiting for one to come up. I will say I didn't like it when people had plates of food from the Windjammer, made the elevator smell. Not like that SBD farhough!

Edited by Norway2

Ok, so we've been on a couple cruises... ;) , and I must say that - at least on sea days - the elevators on the Oasis and Allure were the most crowded we've encountered.

On the Allure last week we were on deck 17 and it was pretty much guaranteed that we'd get to stop on virtually every deck (save #13!) while on our way down. By the time we arrived down on deck 4/5/6 we'd be in the back of the elevator practically plastered against the glass... if we were lucky enough to be in one with a view.

We've had similar experiences on almost every other ship we've sailed on, but never with this kind of predictability !!

There, I feel better now. :D

Tom

Yes there are not enough elevators for a ship that size.

Been a long time since I've ridden any elevator on any ship for any reason. But the last time I did was on my first Oasis cruise, and I experienced the same issues. Not so much crowding, just stopping on every single deck, every single time. I think they need to program some logic into the elevators besides closest one to the pushed button stops. For example, if elevator #2 is already scheduled to stop at deck six to let people off, don't stop elevator #1 there to pick up people 5 seconds earlier.

Cruising got more fun after I gave up the 'vators (I know not everyone is able) and I can justify eating an extra cookie (ok, maybe 6 extras :eek:)

Elevator scheduling algorithms are fascinating. Definitely worth having a look at how they work. I wondered to myself which one of the many the Oasis class uses, but I seriously couldn't find a definitive answer, as it was just too random!

So, on the Harmony, more "regular" suites up there or a larger Coastal Kitchen?

Tom

Yes, expanded the CK and the lounge. I think the bar got moved as well. They may have added one L2 to each side as well

If y'all think the elevators are an issue, try navigating the big ships in a wheelchair! I've posted a number of times how difficult (rude?) some folks can be when a wheelchair passenger tries to use an elevator. We've waited up to 30 minutes trying to catch one!

But the problem - if you want to call it that - is that ships are sooo much larger now. 17 decks!!! The option of taking the stairs is out for almost anyone if you expect them to climb 10 decks! I guess more elevators are needed in future designs.

As for wheelchairs, I'd like to see one elevator forward and aft designated for wheelchair priority. Put up a sign - if a wheelchair passenger is waiting - they go first. IMHO - thanks!

Of all the things I encountered on Oasis that I did not like, I found the elevators to be just fine. We rarely waited for more than a few moments for one and they only seemed crowded if a show had just let out.

If y'all think the elevators are an issue, try navigating the big ships in a wheelchair! I've posted a number of times how difficult (rude?) some folks can be when a wheelchair passenger tries to use an elevator. We've waited up to 30 minutes trying to catch one!

But the problem - if you want to call it that - is that ships are sooo much larger now. 17 decks!!! The option of taking the stairs is out for almost anyone if you expect them to climb 10 decks! I guess more elevators are needed in future designs.

As for wheelchairs, I'd like to see one elevator forward and aft designated for wheelchair priority. Put up a sign - if a wheelchair passenger is waiting - they go first. IMHO - thanks!

I was just about to ask what it has been like using the elevators with wheelchairs. I'll be on the Oasis next month with my mom. It will be her first cruise using an electric scooter since her disability. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by RoyalCavalier

Ok, so we've been on a couple cruises... ;) , and I must say that - at least on sea days - the elevators on the Oasis and Allure were the most crowded we've encountered.

On the Allure last week we were on deck 17 and it was pretty much guaranteed that we'd get to stop on virtually every deck (save #13!) while on our way down. By the time we arrived down on deck 4/5/6 we'd be in the back of the elevator practically plastered against the glass... if we were lucky enough to be in one with a view.

We've had similar experiences on almost every other ship we've sailed on, but never with this kind of predictability !!

There, I feel better now. :D

Tom

I tend to take the stairs 90% of the time, but I did have more elevator difficulties on Oasis than any other ship. At least two times I saw crew members hijack the elevators for their own private ride that didn't happen to stop at every floor. At least twice they were hijacked as we were walking to get in them.

Edited by BillOh

To us all the elevators on all the ships are the same, sometimes they are full, sometimes not. Sometimes you wait, sometimes not. Pick your times and use the stairs if able. It's all part of taking a cruise

Edited by setsail

To us all the elevators on all the ships are the same, sometimes they are full, sometimes not. Sometimes you wait, sometimes not. Pick your times

I agreed with that till my last Oasis cruise. I have often said, if you just got out of dinner or a show and you needed to go to the top of the ship and the other end, walk the length first then take the elevator, or don't stop at the first elevator you see, go around the corner.

I wasn't clear in my last post, but at least 3 times in my week on Oasis I was waiting for an elevator and one came, the light came on stating the direction I wanted to, but by the time my body could react to walk to it, the door closed and the elevator whisked away. I think I found out why that was when I got on at deck 12 to go down to 5 and suddenly the elevator said something. I wasn't paying attention. My wife said, "It said something about a medical emergency. By the time we could react the doors closed and we went up to deck 17. Two crew members got on, turned a key and the elevator took a ride directly to 5 and they got off and sat down in the cafe promenade. There was no medical emergency, they just didn't want to wait.

Tom, I might say that problem comes with having a cabin on the 17th floor.;):p:D

We too have ridden in the elevator up from 5 to 17 or down the same amount of levels to experience what you did. I guess we have done it enough times on the Oasis Class that we have adjusted to knowing at certain times of the day that it is going to happen. We just laugh at how they might fit 20 people into one and continue on our way.

The worst elevator ride we actually had was on our March cruise. A "lady" stepped in to join us and then quickly stepped back out before the elevator door shut. It was my family and another couple in the elevator, so there was a lot of space for her and her male friend. About half a floor later, as the elevator started to smell, we discovered the reason why she got out. She SBD farted, and then fled. We were crop dusted. :eek:

That is too funny. "Crop dusted", one to remember.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk