Back 2 back cruise

Bali505

Does anyone know of the best way to get from Port Everglades to Port Canaveral? We are doing a back 2 back cruise on the 24th of December. We get off the ship on a Saturday in Port Everglades and need to catch one the same day in Port Canaveral.

Will we have enough time to take a rental? Cruise leaves at 5ish from PC.

3.5-4+ hour drive. National, Alamo & Thrifty offer free shuttles from POM to their MIA airport location. If you get a good deal from someone else a taxi from POM to MIA is $27 and to downtown rental locations about $12-13+

3.5-4+ hour drive. National, Alamo & Thrifty offer free shuttles from POM to their MIA airport location. If you get a good deal from someone else a taxi from POM to MIA is $27 and to downtown rental locations about $12-13+

John - the OP is leaving from Port Everglades so that should shorten the drive somewhat (closer to 3 hours than 4 if all goes well) and make renting a car either off-site or at the car rental center at the airport easier, cheaper (at least the transportation involved in getting to the car rental company) and faster.

OP - you really have little time for complications so I would recommend self disembarkation so you can get on the road ASAP and avoid the lines that form at the car rental counters as the morning progresses.

I second capriccio's comments. I would get off quickly because this is 12/24. It likely will be a busy day on the road and at the rental counter.

If you belong to any rental companies where the car is waiting for who call the better.

Keith

OP - just thought of another recommendation. Get a GPS in the rental car. Even though the drive is a straight shot with parallel options (I-95 and the Florida Turnkpike) along the first 100 miles (until the Turnpike turns to the west toward Orlando at Fort Pierce), you will want to know your options if you encounter slow/stopped traffic ahead. I-95 has the automated warning signs about accidents/blockages ahead and you'll want to know how to get around them if necessary.

Rent a car. We drove in on Dec 25/26 last year and the traffic was amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Plan to self disembark, have car pre-reserved. There is a Thrifty just off site from Port Everglades that may be open, otherwise plan to head to the airport. Take a cab if needed, price isn't bad.

If all goes well, you'll likely arrive just as boarding in PC begins. If things don't go well, you have time to recover.

Will the toll roads be an issue for the OP? If so, best way to handle?

If they stay on I-95 there are no tolls. If they chose or move over (in the case of a tie-up on I-95) to the Florida Turnpike they will encounter tolls. Probably best to check how the rental company handles SunPass charges. I think some charge a daily administrative fee plus the SunPass charge.

OP - for more info on tolls check out the SunPass website (http://www.sunpass.com).

Edited by capriccio

The OP implies they have already booked these cruises.

All-aboard and last-checkin times are not the same. You must be at the counter by the cut-off time, you then have at least 90 minutes to actually board.

You must know exactly where to return the car and plan your route. GPS is a useful tool, especially if you run late and have to do checkin before car return. If you need to use the Turnpike, you'll just have to pay whatever (exorbitant) Sunpass charge you get.

Get CDW, you don't want to waste time arguing over a scratch. Assuming you're flying into FLL, do a trial run to the rental car counter when you arrive. It's much easier to get to I-95 from the airport than other locations.

I understand family and holidays - hope it all work out well for you.

Off the ship early, into a rental car ASAP, and on the road to PC. With check-in likely not closing until about 3:30 you should have plenty of time, but with holiday traffic you never know. Good luck! :)