Civitavecchia to train station time question

juanarcin

I am going to be on the Vista at the end of the month. I have taken the train into Rome from here before and posted on the roll call that anyone who wanted to DIY should feel free to follow me (for those nervous about taking the train for the first time etc). It grew into a group of 20+ people! Now I am a bit nervous about time schedule. There isn't any issue but more of a concern. We port at 7am. The trains are scheduled at: 7:02, 7:19, 7:44, 7:58, and my concern is that if we miss those, the next one isn't until 8:42! I'm hoping to make it to the 7:44, but would be happy making onto the 7:58.

My question is, is this reasonable? A group of roughly 24 people getting off the ship at 7am, taking a shuttle to the front of the port, walking to the station and buying tickets to board by these times? I know the walk is about 15 minutes. I'm also a first timer on Carnival so I have no idea about how organized/unorganized they are about exiting the ship and how likely it would be that they let people out on time. I'm on the Vista by the way. Thoughts? should I be worried? should I let people know they might be a bit late into Rome for their plans?

It's critical that you be firm with times because, while it might be nice to wait for stragglers, it's really not fair to everyone who made the effort to be on time.

As for getting to the station, I'd make that a game day call. If you are berthed at #10, #11, #12, or #13 it will be faster to walk directly to the train station rather than take the port shuttle bus. Look on this map (http://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/it/mappa-del-porto) on the left for "Ingresso Varco Fortezza", this is the pedestrian entrance/exit nearest to the train station. From there (the fort) to the station is only four-tenths of a mile. From the furthest berth (#13) it's two miles, but you can still walk this faster than you can board the shuttle bus, get to the drop off point, and board another bus or walk (one mile) from there.

If you are berthed further into the port (#24 - #26) you might as well use the port shuttle.

This is what happened to me and my mom last year on the Vision of the Seas. We were scheduled to be there 7-7. We got off the boat easily at 7:10-7:15. What delayed us was when we got on the bus, we had to wait for the bus to fill up before leaving and that took a little time. Then construction was going on at the port and they did not drop us off where they normally do and it was further from the train station. We had to get a bus for 1 euro and that took us to the train station. Got tickets and then validated them and it was close to 8:00am. The train literally pulled away as we got where the train departed. Had to wind up taking the 8:42. Literally went and got some coffee and had to wait.

It actually worked out fine for us. We would have had to stand going to Rome and we got to sit down on the later train. The train on the way back was not crowded and got back on the ship around 5:30 pm. We did the Vatican last as it is close to San Pietro Station and is a shorter trip back to the port. They may still be doing construction at the port and if they do, you will have a longer trip to get the train station.

Edited by mj

This is what happened to me and my mom last year on the Vision of the Seas. We were scheduled to be there 7-7. We got off the boat easily at 7:10-7:15. What delayed us was when we got on the bus, we had to wait for the bus to fill up before leaving and that took a little time. Then construction was going on at the port and they did not drop us off where they normally do and it was further from the train station. We had to get a bus for 1 euro and that took us to the train station. Got tickets and then validated them and it was close to 8:00am. The train literally pulled away as we got where the train departed. Had to wind up taking the 8:42. Literally went and got some coffee and had to wait.

It actually worked out fine for us. We would have had to stand going to Rome and we got to sit down on the later train. The train on the way back was not crowded and got back on the ship around 5:30 pm. We did the Vatican last as it is close to San Pietro Station and is a shorter trip back to the port. They may still be doing construction at the port and if they do, you will have a longer trip to get the train station.

That further entrance appears to be the new permanent entrance. Everyone should count on it taking longer to get to the train station now than in the past. Unfortunately.

As has been said, you will be at the total mercy of the buses! The shuttle bus, at the pier, might leave as soon as you board, or it could sit there for 15 minutes waiting for more folks. And once you get to the transfer spot, you will have to get in a line to purchase tickets on the city bus to the train station...and once you finally get on that bus it might leave...or it could sit for 10 min waiting for whatever. And once you arrive at the train station, everyone in your group needs to purchase train tickets (before you board the train) and validate those tickets (before you board). This can also take time...depending on lines. You have a good chance of making the 7:44 or 7:58....but no guarantee. And trying to "herd cats" will likely add more delays.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Those are typically arranged in advance. A taxi is going to be either 110, or 130 euros...it is discussed here regularly.

No free lance shuttle I have ever heard of. Anything like that is arranged in advance.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Are there any cabs or shuttle buses that would go into Rome. Instead of all the hassle of buses and trains anyone have any idea of a price for 4 to cab it?

One other factor is that the train often is faster than a taxi given the traffic issues in Rome.

Lugging our luggage for a 15 minute walk is not really an option.

I understand that you need to use a port shuttle bus to get from the ship to the main entrance. According to the Civitavecchia Port website, our options are the Argo bus or foot. So there are NO taxis available?

Lugging our luggage for a 15 minute walk is not really an option.

I understand that you need to use a port shuttle bus to get from the ship to the main entrance. According to the Civitavecchia Port website, our options are the Argo bus or foot. So there are NO taxis available?

Unless they have changed the Port regulations in the past 2 months, there will be some taxis at the pier. But these taxis do not normally want to do any short hauls (such as to the train station) and are looking for full day hires or longer hauls such as to Rome or FCO. The shuttle buses now take passengers to a relatively new drop facility located outside the port gates and about a mile from the station (I forgot to measure the actual distance). In April, we were surprised to see no taxis waiting at (or near) the drop area...which is essentially a transfer point where you can buy tickets and board another (locally operated) shuttle bus that goes directly to the train station. It is also relatively easy to walk, from that transfer point, into any part of town. Walking out of the port (not a reasonable option with luggage) really varies depending on docking position....but the large cruise ships are often docked in an area that is about 1 mile from the old port entrance (next to the castle) which is convenient to the train station and town.

In fairness to the port, their shuttle bus system is one of the best we have experienced in Europe...although one can find themselves waiting more then a few minutes for the next bus to depart from the pier (they sometimes will wait until they have a full load).

Hank