Heating Pad in State Rooms?

grsnovi

Does anyone have any experience with bringing a heating pad from home to use in bed? I know HAL frowns on bringing irons. My DW has begun using a heating pad at night to relieve muscle pain. I did flag this on a "special needs" form HAL sent but didn't hear anything one way or the other.

Does anyone have any experience with bringing a heating pad from home to use in bed? I know HAL frowns on bringing irons. My DW has begun using a heating pad at night to relieve muscle pain. I did flag this on a "special needs" form HAL sent but didn't hear anything one way or the other.

Seems to be mixed reports on heating pads. Some have taken them and never been questioned. Others report the brought them but had them taken away and kept to the end of their cruise. Many, if not most, have concerns about the fire hazard and more or less equate heating pads with other heating devices like electric coffee/tea pots, irons, etc. which are clearly prohibited. We've never taken one but if we needed one I'd probably go with the old low tech hot water bottle which wouldn't be a concern.

Thanks Randy - I always assumed the concern was in regard to amperage on the closely engineered electrical supply circuits to the rooms. Any device that generates heat is going to draw more amperage than they've engineered into their electrical service. The hot water bottle might be a solution - in the years since going "electric" I don't remember even owning one as an adult.

Just prior to our recent cruise my husband had been using a heating pad for his sciatica. Mindful of the fact that they can be a fire hazard onboard we packed an old fashioned hot water bottle and it worked fine.

You may want to look into Thermacare lower back and hip wraps.

http://www.thermacare.com/our-products

We keep the neck and shoulder version in our MacGyver bag. In addition to not needing electricity, they have the added benefit of being portable. You can wear them under your clothes during the day if needed.

Thanks POA1, it looks like bringing a supply of these might be the answer. DW has tried the IcyHot patches that use menthol. The ThermaCare looks to be different. We have three weeks to experiment. This wasn't an issue on our last cruise so it is a new concern.

Thanks POA1, it looks like bringing a supply of these might be the answer. DW has tried the IcyHot patches that use menthol. The ThermaCare looks to be different. We have three weeks to experiment. This wasn't an issue on our last cruise so it is a new concern.

They've got little ceramic discs in them that heat up once they're exposed to air. They last around 4-6 hours, which has generally worked for us if one of use tweaks a neck or shoulder muscle. You can find them at most drug stores, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

Edited by POA1

...and has brought our heating pad on cruises several times

Good point re: extension cord!

Has he ever had the heating pad confiscated during a luggage screening at the port?

We keep the neck and shoulder version in our MacGyver bag. In addition to not needing electricity, they have the added benefit of being portable. You can wear them under your clothes during the day if needed.

Love ThermaCare lumbar wraps - wear them all the time for long plane trips...

I keep a supply of these! They work wonderfully. If you have a Costco near you, the price is cheaper.

Good Luck!

The cruise lines specifically ask passengers not to bring heating pads,steamers,irons, etc. for a very good reason. I can't believe that people actually do this and risk the lives and safety of those onboard. Boggles my mind especially since there are alternatives. JMO

The cruise lines specifically ask passengers not to bring heating pads,steamers,irons, etc. for a very good reason. I can't believe that people actually do this and risk the lives and safety of those onboard. Boggles my mind especially since there are alternatives. JMO

While one person using a heating pad may not overload the system, if dozens of folks bring them and run them all night, everyone could get a very rude awakening if the ship catches fire.:eek: Is it really worth the risk?

The Thermacare or hot water bottle will NOT start a ship fire.

Travel safe!

Please show us where it includes heating pads.

They don't draw like a steamer or iron. (And it's quite interesting that HAL now has coffeemakers in some suites.)

I have brought my autoshutoff heating pad and have not been questioned.

A fellow pax suggested an OTC ultrasound machine (eBay) which I have gotten and that really help loosen my SI IT band tightness. ( along with Pilates.) YMMV.

While one person using a heating pad may not overload the system, if dozens of folks bring them and run them all night, everyone could get a very rude awakening if the ship catches fire.:eek: Is it really worth the risk?

The Thermacare or hot water bottle will NOT start a ship fire.

Travel safe!

A heating pad draws about 65 watts, while the standard hair dryer draws about

600 watts. So you could have nearly 10 people using a heating pad and only slightly exceed the wattage of one person using a hair dryer.

Fire? I think not. Worst case is a blown circuit breaker and even that is not likely .

I have used my heating pad extensively on our last few cruises. I do put it away when we are not in the cabin. It has never been questioned that I have or use one.

I too have taken my "auto shut off" heating pad on every cruise for the last 10 years with an extension cord.. I do put it away after I use it daily..It has never been questioned.

That is not so.. You absolutely do not know what you are talking about..

No where in the "Know before you go" booklet" does it say you can't use an electric auto shut off heating pad.. They specifically say no steamers or irons.. We are also long distance boaters, understand safety protocols as have boated more than 25,000 miles in our own boat.. My DH was a volunteer Fireman for 16 years & is well versed in fire fighting.. He would never allow any one to smoke on our boat & would never permit me to use anyting which could cause a fire on our own boat..We are not risking your life either..

Hair rollers, hair straightening irons & hair curling irons use much more wattage than any electric heating pad & get they also get much hotter.. They also are not banned on board ships! My Heating Pad is 120 volts & 55 watts..

I've used my heating pad on HAL, Oceania & NCL & never been questioned.. I use my heating pad every morning & sometimes in the afternoon..Also take several of the Thermal heat packs to use in between my daily usage if I'm going to be out most of the day..

Edited by serendipity1499

• 3 months later...

While HAL does not specify heating pads as banned, they are silent on them, and they are almost alone in not specifically banning them. Carnival and Disney both ban heating pads, and Royal Caribbean bans both heating pads and extension cords (possibly because many of then have multiple outlets which would permit overloads).

If you can get to a microwave (steward help?) I have a little pad of beebees which can be used cold (from the freezer) or Hot from the microwave.. very useful in a suitcase!

Microwave? Do you mean metal beebees, or "beans"? Sometimes spellcheck steps in and changes things.

This is all I could find about prohibited items in HAL's Know Before You Go brochure:

Please Note:
For safety reasons, travel irons, steamers, and electric water heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom.

Please Note:
Firearms, explosives, fireworks, other weapons and knives or sharp blades over two and half inches long and illegal drugs of any kind are prohibited without exception. For safety reasons hoverboards or similar devices are not allowed on board our ship.

Edited by Boytjie

While HAL does not specify heating pads as banned, they are silent on them, and they are almost alone in not specifically banning them. Carnival and Disney both ban heating pads, and Royal Caribbean bans both heating pads and extension cords (possibly because many of then have multiple outlets which would permit overloads).

I think if HAL thought heating pads were dangerous they would name them. They mention hover boards, for crying out loud!