TA or PCC for upcoming HAL Cruise?

creativepart

As a cruise "newbie" (as in never booked a cruise) we've settled on a cruise next April (2017) and are getting closer and closer to being ready to book the cruise.

I see many people use a TA and some a HAL PCC to finalize their booking. We'd love to hear two things - what's a good way to go about a first booking and second any suggestions (via PM if that's needed for the forum's guidelines) of some TAs that specialize in HAL cruises.

I should add that we book all of our personal travel online and have been directly responsible for these arrangements ourselves for nearly 20 years now. So, using a TA seems a bit odd to us - though many seem to think it's a real plus for a cruise.

We're not looking for some bargain basement pricing - nor do we wish to pay top dollar. I guess we're looking for someone to guide us safely through the process while throwing in some perks and customer service along the way.

Oh, and my Amex Platinum Card offers cruise travel services as well. Is that a reasonable option?

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Edited by creativepart

As a cruise "newbie" (as in never booked a cruise) we've settled on a cruise next April (2017) and are getting closer and closer to being ready to book the cruise.

I see many people use a TA and some a HAL PCC to finalize their booking. We'd love to hear two things - what's a good way to go about a first booking and second any suggestions (via PM if that's needed for the forum's guidelines) of some TAs that specialize in HAL cruises.

I should add that we book all of our personal travel online and have been directly responsible for these arrangements ourselves for nearly 20 years now. So, using a TA seems a bit odd to us - though many seem to think it's a real plus for a cruise.

We're not looking for some bargain basement pricing - nor do we wish to pay top dollar. I guess we're looking for someone to guide us safely through the process while throwing in some perks and customer service along the way.

Oh, and my Amex Platinum Card offers cruise travel services as well. Is that a reasonable option?

I'm going to try to put this in a nutshell.

Different people have very strong viewpoints.

Those that have a good PCC are delighted with them and very happy. They don't get any perks worth talking about but they get service.

Caveat - not all PCC's are good nor are all TA's

We prefer the TA option as we do like the OBC/discount and savings we can obtain. We are not high maintenance but there are good TA's out there that will still give the perks and do some hand holding.

I will probably be contradicted but if this is your first cruise, I would not book with a "big box store" where you are talking to a different person every time. It's important that you have a relationship and the person understand what you need/ are trying to accomplish.

I recommend reaching out to a few and talking on the phone. Find out what they can do and get a comfort level. If you find someone whose price you like and you "click" with then go for it.

hope this helps a bit. And have a great cruise!

I see many people use a TA and some a HAL PCC to finalize their booking. We'd love to hear two things - a good way to go about a first booking and a suggestion (via PM if that's needed for the forum's guidelines) or some TAs that specialize in HAL cruises.

Kazu gives sage advice. Always read her comments as they are the voice of experience and reason.

I suggest a combination of the two. I use a PCC through the discovery, question/answer, and booking phases. I leave the reservation with my PCC until shortly before final payment is due in case a HAL promotion comes along with a better fare or perks that warrant re-faring. At that point I transfer the booking to my TA for their perks. TAs get about 15% of your fare in commission. It's pretty normal to get a discounted fare, OBC, or other perks totaling in value 9-10% of your fare.

I can't advise you which TA to choose. I would shop around for benefits and service reputations. Your travel and research savvy combined with the amount of your time you want to invest should give you an idea as to what level of service you're after. I do most of the heavy lifting research-wise on-line so I'm more interested in getting the most back from a TA in monetary value.

Edited by blizzardboy

I'm going to try to put this in a nutshell.

Different people have very strong viewpoints.

Those that have a good PCC are delighted with them and very happy. They don't get any perks worth talking about but they get service.

Caveat - not all PCC's are good nor are all TA's

We prefer the TA option as we do like the OBC/discount and savings we can obtain. We are not high maintenance but there are good TA's out there that will still give the perks and do some hand holding.

I will probably be contradicted but if this is your first cruise, I would not book with a "big box store" where you are talking to a different person every time. It's important that you have a relationship and the person understand what you need/ are trying to accomplish.

I recommend reaching out to a few and talking on the phone. Find out what they can do and get a comfort level. If you find someone whose price you like and you "click" with then go for it.

hope this helps a bit. And have a great cruise!

Good advice and well put. It will vary by person.

One thing I would add to the OP - if you like your first HAL cruise and think you will do another, purchase a Future Cruise Deposit while onboard. This gets you a drastically lower depost for your next cruise (whenever you decide to take in within 4 years) plus earns you some on board credits on the next cruise. You should do a Search on this board for FCD or future cruise deposits to learn more about them. Great deal and nothing to lose.

If you can get the name of a GOOD local TA from friends or neighbors who are more experienced cruisers I would say that would be the way to go for the first few cruises at least, especially if it is one who does a lot of business with HAL. I feel that it is good to have someone "in my corner" in case of any problems that need "negotiating". It's also its a lot easier to make changes. A couple of times we have changed our minds about minor details, and all it took was one simple phone call or email to get it done.

We've also booked cruises through a PCC, and a couple directly on-line. If we are going to just drive to the port for a 7-day cruise we are more likely to not use either a TA or PCC, but the more complicated the cruise gets the more I like to have someone around to help me if there's a problem. PCCs are more "company men" and can sometimes do things for you quicker or easier than a TA, or know about things that even a good TA doesn't.

Good luck! :)

p.s. - I can't give you the name of our good TA, even if it was allowed, because he is regionally limited. :)

Edited by jtl513

First of all, any requests for advice on a TA, either here, by email, or by PM is strictly forbidden. Too bad, there are many here who could help. BTW, AMEX travel services would fall under this as well.

Since this is your first cruise and you've stated that you need some 'hand-holding', you could consider a PCC or you could find a TA local to your home.

Top Center On the Holland Home Page, you can click "find a travel professional" which will direct your to a list of TA in your local area. You can call these TA or you can visit them directly. You may find one who is just what you're looking for. Look at this as an "interview". If you're not happy, you can always go elsewhere. It's unlikely though that you will get much of discount and you won't be able to transfer your booking later on.

The best thing about a local person is that you can visit them and "look them in the eye".

Discounts can be over-rated. At best, you might save 10% of the cruise fare. That can be a lot if you're booking suites. Not so much if you're not. You'll need to determine if that is worth the savings or if you'd rather have the comfort of dealing with a local person.

We booked our first cruise using a local TA. While we later cancelled that cruise, we learned the process. The next cruise we booked online. Worked well. Our next cruise we used a PCC which was fine too. (Some really like the fact that you can build a relationship with a PCC but there is a large amount of turnover.) Our next, and all the rest, we have used TAs who we learned about from friends. Those TAs are small businesses several hundred miles away. That has also worked well and we do get 10% minimum discounts.

If you're used to booking your own travel, you should be able to book cruises as well. It's really not all that difficult. Have you tried doing a "mock booking"? Go to the website and select the cruise you like. Walk through the process up to the point where you put down a deposit. It's really quite easy.

Edited by RocketMan275

Thanks all. I appreciate the help.

We don't have friends that cruise, so no one to ask for a reference. And, I checked some local TA's online and couldn't see much in the way of HAL specialties here. I looked online and found some TAs that claim to be connected to HAL... and 2-dozen other cruise lines.

So, I'm leaning toward PCC at this moment.

As a first-time cruise customer it's pretty daunting. Like a lot of things there's a special knowledge that those with a long cruise history have under their belts. I can see that - but can't seem to get a handle on it all.

I guess I'll need to just jump in there and make all the 1st time mistakes as a way to scale this learning curve.

I prefer PCC as I want to be able to access my booking and check status and what's going on.

That and I have a great PCC that I trust that knows our likes and preferences and lets us know when something new is coming that may interest us.!

Thanks all. I appreciate the help.

We don't have friends that cruise, so no one to ask for a reference. And, I checked some local TA's online and couldn't see much in the way of HAL specialties here. I looked online and found some TAs that claim to be connected to HAL... and 2-dozen other cruise lines.

So, I'm leaning toward PCC at this moment.

As a first-time cruise customer it's pretty daunting. Like a lot of things there's a special knowledge that those with a long cruise history have under their belts. I can see that - but can't seem to get a handle on it all.

I guess I'll need to just jump in there and make all the 1st time mistakes as a way to scale this learning curve.

It's pretty hard to really screw this up. Oh, you might not book the best room or you might overlook a special excursion but that won't ruin your cruise. Holland is a great cruise line and just about anything you book will work well.

BTW, most TAs won't say on their websites that they specialize in a certain line as that might cause some to look elsewhere. You can call those local guys. You can visit with them in person. That's when you'll find out how much they know about Holland.

For example, you could call those local guys and ask them about Holland. Ask them if they, themselves, have cruised Holland. How many times. Ask them how much business they do with Holland? Ask them if they discount? Treat it like you're interviewing someone for a job. If you find a TA that seems knowledgeable, then schedule an appointment. You're really under no obligation to book. You can always walk out. In fact, should you get pressure, that's a good reason to walk.

BTW, one thing you can do on your first cruise is asking your fellow passengers about their TAs. That's how a lot of folks find their good ones.

Edited by RocketMan275

As a first time cruiser I would book with a TA . There are too many things that a new cruiser can miss doing their first cruise .

If you use HAL's PCC -- you will not get the $300 ship board credit. You have to deal with a TA/agency who pays American Express the fee for use of that card.

I don't know anything about a $300 OBC from Amex Plat. I've looked at Amex online and not see anything about that. Can you point me to any info on this offer?

I have found an Amex "spend $500 get $100 credit" for HAL reservations via the Amex website.

I now use a PCC and get great service. My first 2 cruises I used a local TA who never mentioned anything about the possibility of price drops. It was "ok - you're booked - have a great cruise." Then I found CC and learned so much. It was then that I contacted a PCC. Anytime I have found a price drop I just shoot her an email and she makes the adjustment. One other thing that is important to us - sometimes whether on the HAL site or an online agency site you don't actually see ALL of the available cabins. I called and told her we were thinking of doing a Thanksgiving cruise but couldn't find a cabin that I liked. Knowing that we like mid-ship right next to the outside elevators she had one available on her end that I could not find online anywhere. Sometimes they don't post all available cabins. It worked for us and we're on our way to the Caribbean over the holidays.

Helen

Since this is your first cruise, I would consider a HAL PCC. They can answer your questions and steer you towards an acceptable cabin. We booked our first cruise by calling HAL directly and were quite satisfied.

Using a local brick-and-mortar TA can be god, but if they don't "know" HAL, they won't be much help with answering questions. (We've used these, too, and weren't overly happy with them.)

If you like your first cruise, while onboard talk to your fellow cruisers. They may tell you about a great TA who will help you in the future. Also, consider buying the Future Cruise Deposit for a future cruise.

I suggest a combination of the two. I use a PCC through the discovery, question/answer, and booking phases. I leave the reservation with my PCC until shortly before final payment is due in case a HAL promotion comes along with a better fare or perks that warrant re-faring. At that point I transfer the booking to my TA for their perks...

This is what we do too. We have built up a great relationship with our PCC over the years. So we leave the booking with her until just before final payment, and then transfer the booking to a TA for extra OBC.

It took about 4 tries to finally find one that we were satisfied with (i.e. didn't nickle and dime over every request for price drops, didn't make mistakes, and was quick to answer emails/phone calls.

The PCC still gets credit, and we get her help and extra OBC -- win-win.

OP, welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

I don't know anything about a $300 OBC from Amex Plat. I've looked at Amex online and not see anything about that. Can you point me to any info on this offer?

I have found an Amex "spend $500 get $100 credit" for HAL reservations via the Amex website.

It is for people who have the American Express Platinum card that you get from American Express itself -- not the American Express card that you can get through Costco, etc.

We get a booklet each year when the benefits are renewed.

We have been getting the $300 -- per cabin -- for years and years. I can't remember when it started.

Why don't you book using a PCC and then you can look around some more and see if you can find a travel agent you like (you can transfer your booking up until final payment).

Personally, I would not give up using a TA. I have always received some kind of perk that I would not get if I booked online or with a PCC. Also, I feel that a (good) TA is going to know more about how the "system" works than I would (and I am a rotten negotiator:eek:).

One thing to make sure of before using a TA is to be sure they do not charge for making changes or cancelling a cruise.

This is what we do too. We have built up a great relationship with our PCC over the years. So we leave the booking with her until just before final payment, and then transfer the booking to a TA for extra OBC.

It took about 4 tries to finally find one that we were satisfied with (i.e. didn't nickle and dime over every request for price drops, didn't make mistakes, and was quick to answer emails/phone calls.

The PCC still gets credit, and we get her help and extra OBC -- win-win.

OP, welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Question: I booked a cruise while we were on Westerdam last March. I've already transferred it to my TA. My question is this: How long can you hold the cruise at Holland before it's too late to transfer to the TA? Is final payment the deadline? I think I've read that there is a time limit on other cruise lines.

It is for people who have the American Express Platinum card that you get from American Express itself -- not the American Express card that you can get through Costco, etc.

We have been getting the $300 -- per cabin -- for years and years. I can't remember when it started.

Sure, I get that booklet - but we don't usually find anything we want to use in it - so we toss it.

I'll have to do some checking on this.

Thanks

Great. I found it. But it says I MUST book through Amex to get the credit. Can I still work with a PCC and or transfer the booking to a TA later?

Perhaps the $300 OBC is better than anything I'll get some other way. If you could give me the details on this I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!!

PS. I see it's "up to" $300 and it's only $200 for the Verandah. We hadn't planned on getting a suite. Still it's $200 in OBC.

Edited by creativepart

Question: I booked a cruise while we were on Westerdam last March. I've already transferred it to my TA. My question is this: How long can you hold the cruise at Holland before it's too late to transfer to the TA? Is final payment the deadline? I think I've read that there is a time limit on other cruise lines.

You can hold the cruise with HAL right up to final payment (we transfer a few days-week before). I know Celebrity has a time limit, it was a shock when we found that out! :eek:

You can hold the cruise with HAL right up to final payment (we transfer a few days-week before). I know Celebrity has a time limit, it was a shock when we found that out! :eek:

Celebrity. That must have been what I was thinking about. Appreciate the response.

One other thing, you must still owe something on the cruise in order to be able to transfer it. On the cruises I have transferred, I pay down to a couple hundred dollars, transfer and pay off. That way I know that Holland has the money.

On our upcoming cruise on our aft wrap on the Shubert Deck of the Konsingsdam. He provided us with a Navigator Wine Package. Our cost was $3,299 PP. We switched it over to our usual online TA (18 cruises) who had a special promotion with HAL and we were billed $2,448 PP. Of course, both those prices didn't include taxes and fees. We lost out our 3-bottle wine package, but for over $1,700, it was worth it.

Last week, I booked a 12-day med cruise in an aft wrap. The PCC said "hit a home run" as all the gratuities were paid for and the Signature Beverage Package was included, We don't drink that much, do no big deal. When I got the Confirmation copy from HAL, (I initially put in my Mariner number), the price was $5,800 + taxes. I told him on the HAL website, it was $4,299 PP. He said that's without prepaid gratuities and drink package. For $3,600, we'll pay the hotel service charge and have a few drinks. On top of that, we transferred to our online TA which discounted us to $3,794 plus $400 OBC.

I book with PCCs and then transfer to an online TA for a great discount. Once, HAL was offering a hotel at the Pan Pacific in Vancouver for NEW booking only for Alaska cruises. We booked months in advance. I called our HAL rep and he said no. After transferring to our online TA, we received a room at The Pan Pacific along with another Cruise Critic member. I asked my PCC why he couldn't get it, and he said his hands are tied and some online TA's book a lot of cruises and get many favors. Our agency books 60,00 a year.

Great. I found it. But it says I MUST book through Amex to get the credit. Can I still work with a PCC and or transfer the booking to a TA later?

Perhaps the $300 OBC is better than anything I'll get some other way. If you could give me the details on this I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!!

PS. I see it's "up to" $300 and it's only $200 for the Verandah. We hadn't planned on getting a suite. Still it's $200 in OBC.

Yes you can book with a PCC and transfer to your TA -- but remember -- your TA must work for an agency that pays the fee to American Express. I don't know if it has changed but the fee was $1000 per year. Larger agencies pay it knowing that they have many customers who will book cruises and pay their bills with the AMEX Platinum cards.

When we were taking 4 and 5 cruises a year, we got that $300 shipboard credit for each cruise -- more than paid for the credit card fees we pay.

We have been fortunate to have found a TA near us -- works for a large agency -- we have had for over 25 years.

Besides that $300 shipboard credit, we get $250 from owning Carnival stock, usually $200 from booking while on the ship.

All this shipboard credit helps with the Hotel Service Charges.