Give Captain Kate a new itinerary?

boscobeans

We have over the last 16 years become tired of the extra time and expense wasted on airfare and hotel stays when sailing to the Caribbean during the end of Winter or the start of Spring. This has always been the best time of the year for us since it signals the end of what is usually a cold hard Winter and gets us charged up for the rest of the year.

A known fact is that itineraries are designed with profit in mind and profit is dependent on ships sailing at full capacity as well as having ships in the area with already contracted ports of call and embarkation facilities with established supply sources.

Having sailed with Celebrity over the years more than with any other line it is our favorite and we would love to see them do a little looking into the feasibility, taking all the above into consideration, of a once a year sailing from Cape Liberty N.J. to the Caribbean on a 12 day round trip to the Summit's already established Southern Caribbean cruise (or similar itinierary).

If the Celebrity Summit was to end its San Juan schedule a week or so early and likewise postpone its Bermuda schedule for one week, the 12 day Caribbean cruise would be the first cruise following the Summit's repositioning.

Living only a short 3 hour drive from Cape Liberty this would be a great cruise for us and I think given the population density within a relatively short distance to N.J. (180 miles+-) Celebrity would be assured a full sailing to and from already established ports on a ship that is in the area.

It may not be an itinerary that would demand an entire season, however for a once a year special it seems a great idea for those who would rather spend the money we must when flying down to FLL a day or so early. Considering the airfare, hotel bill, extra cab or transfer fees, meals and add into this TWO days wasted in planes and in airports, my choice would be to spend all that wasted money and all that wasted time on a SHIP.

Would there be any others interested???

I love the Summit and Captain Kate, and the Bayonne port is very convenient for me.

The problem is my wife and I don't really enjoy sea days and a trip to the Caribbean from New Jersey would require at least six sea days - too many for us.

I was actually considering taking the RCCL Grandeur, which leaves from Baltimore (super convenient) and goes to the southern Caribbean, but I have the same problem with the number of sea days. Instead, we will be flying to San Juan to pick up the RCCL Jewel of the Seas, which has the same basic itinerary as the Summit from San Juan and includes only one sea day.

I love the Summit and Captain Kate, and the Bayonne port is very convenient for me.

The problem is my wife and I don't really enjoy sea days and a trip to the Caribbean from New Jersey would require at least six sea days - too many for us.

Totally understandable, but for us a few sea days at the beginning and end of a cruise is fine. The proposed cruise could also stop for a day in Bermuda, making it the first of the season and would also break up the journey a bit. Lots of alternate stops in a 12 or so day cruise.

bosco

I would like this. Last March we did a 10 day out of New York on NCL Gem. We enjoy the sea days as much as the ports. Going to Bermuda would be a great bonus. For Canadians who live in Ontario or Quebec New York is an easy drive so no flight expense, etc. as mentioned.

I would like a 10 days cruise out of NY for next March too but the Gem is offering the exact same itinerary. It would be so great to see some other islands. San Juan and St. Thomas would great to drop and add in something else.

I wish other cruise lines would follow Holland America's lead and offer some summer cruises (not just a couple of spring and fall ones) from New York or Boston up to Canada and ending in Montreal or Quebec City (and vice versa).

Totally understandable, but for us a few sea days at the beginning and end of a cruise is fine. The proposed cruise could also stop for a day in Bermuda, making it the first of the season and would also break up the journey a bit. Lots of alternate stops in a 12 or so day cruise.

bosco

The northbound repo overnights in Bermuda every year. Also, I don't know whether you saw them or not, but Summit is doing some different itineraries next year, both in the Caribbean (working around several charters), and three sailings out of Bayonne in June and July.

Edited by bayonnejoe

The northbound repo overnights in Bermuda every year. Also, I don't know whether you saw them or not, but Summit is doing some different itineraries next year, both in the Caribbean (working around several charters), and three sailings out of Bayonne in June and July.

We have done the Celebrity to Bermuda from Jersey several times and actually just returned from one in May. Not exactly what I was thinking of.

The Summit repo's either start or end in Puerto Rico, so we would still have to fly both ways on either.

The cruise I am thinking of goes to the Caribbean round trip from Jersey and would involve NO flights for millions of people in a vast geographic area. June and July are, for us at least, not convenient and a little too warm. Early Spring or Late Winter.

But for my information which cruises are R/T to the Caribbean from Jersey?

ON CELEBRITY... Not interested in NCL-RCCL or others.

bosco

I would like a 10 days cruise out of NY for next March too but the Gem is offering the exact same itinerary. It would be so great to see some other islands. San Juan and St. Thomas would great to drop and add in something else.

QUOTE]

We in fact had a cruise booked on the Gem for this coming February (2017) but decided to waste the two days of airport craziness and stay at a hotel so that we could sail instead on a Celebrity ship out of Fort Lauderdale. (Loyal to a fault??? Maybe.)LOL

We would for sure rather spend the extra money on a cruise and not at airports or hotels. Two+ days at sea on a ship are preferable to us rather than 2+ days spent in airports or hotels.

bosco

We have over the last 16 years become tired of the extra time and expense wasted on airfare and hotel stays when sailing to the Caribbean during the end of Winter or the start of Spring. This has always been the best time of the year for us since it signals the end of what is usually a cold hard Winter and gets us charged up for the rest of the year.

A known fact is that itineraries are designed with profit in mind and profit is dependent on ships sailing at full capacity as well as having ships in the area with already contracted ports of call and embarkation facilities with established supply sources.

Having sailed with Celebrity over the years more than with any other line it is our favorite and we would love to see them do a little looking into the feasibility, taking all the above into consideration, of a once a year sailing from Cape Liberty N.J. to the Caribbean on a 12 day round trip to the Summit's already established Southern Caribbean cruise (or similar itinierary).

If the Celebrity Summit was to end its San Juan schedule a week or so early and likewise postpone its Bermuda schedule for one week, the 12 day Caribbean cruise would be the first cruise following the Summit's repositioning.

Living only a short 3 hour drive from Cape Liberty this would be a great cruise for us and I think given the population density within a relatively short distance to N.J. (180 miles+-) Celebrity would be assured a full sailing to and from already established ports on a ship that is in the area.

It may not be an itinerary that would demand an entire season, however for a once a year special it seems a great idea for those who would rather spend the money we must when flying down to FLL a day or so early. Considering the airfare, hotel bill, extra cab or transfer fees, meals and add into this TWO days wasted in planes and in airports, my choice would be to spend all that wasted money and all that wasted time on a SHIP.

ABSOLUTELY.... I'm definitely in!

bosco

Sea days are so relaxing especially unwinding from the day to day stress before vacation began, then some R&R after a busy itinerary visiting ports an running around to get it all in! Just my 2 cents worth

We have done the Celebrity to Bermuda from Jersey several times and actually just returned from one in May. Not exactly what I was thinking of.

The Summit repo's either start or end in Puerto Rico, so we would still have to fly both ways on either.

The cruise I am thinking of goes to the Caribbean round trip from Jersey and would involve NO flights for millions of people in a vast geographic area. June and July are, for us at least, not convenient and a little too warm. Early Spring or Late Winter.

But for my information which cruises are R/T to the Caribbean from Jersey?

ON CELEBRITY... Not interested in NCL-RCCL or others.

bosco

There is nothing from Bayonne to the Caribbean on Celebrity. They leave that to RCCL. The Summit Bermuda run has been very successful for six years now. Before that it was the Constellation and going back even further was the Zenith and Horizon. In its inaugural season (I forget the year), the Silhouette did Caribbean sailings from late autumn to the springtime, but I guess Royal Caribbean figured one ship out of Bayonne to the Caribbean was enough.

Lets leave Captain Kate out of this as I really do not whether I sail with her or not. She is just another captain. With regard to the actual cruise - I hate sea days. Three sea days up and 3 sea days back with the weather being cold would be 2 sea days too much each way.

DON

There is nothing from Bayonne to the Caribbean on Celebrity. They leave that to RCCL. The Summit Bermuda run has been very successful for six years now. Before that it was the Constellation and going back even further was the Zenith and Horizon. In its inaugural season (I forget the year), the Silhouette did Caribbean sailings from late autumn to the springtime, but I guess Royal Caribbean figured one ship out of Bayonne to the Caribbean was enough.

Our first cruise was in fact on the Zenith (before it had verandas) from N.J. to Bermuda 16 years ago. I realize that RCCL-NCL do Caribbean cruises from NJ or NYC, but for various reasons wish that Celebrity would schedule at least one cruise to the Caribbean on the Summit (favorite class of ship) between her Southern Caribbean itineraries out of San Juan and the beginning of the Bermuda run. Definitely very specific and probably selfish but I still think it would be a profitable cruise for Celebrity and a convenient cruise for many passengers.

We've sailed Celebrity 16 times in the last 16 years and although we have been on 4-5 on RCCL as well as several HAL cruises it is still our favorite line.

bosco

Lets leave Captain Kate out of this as I really do not whether I sail with her or not. She is just another captain. With regard to the actual cruise - I hate sea days. Three sea days up and 3 sea days back with the weather being cold would be 2 sea days too much each way.

DON

Sorry to reference a specific Captain, just something to draw a little attention. We have sailed from NYC and NJ several times in the dead of Winter, in fact once on the Silhouette it was so cold most of the grass froze and had to be covered in plastic for the first 2 days at sea.

For a good number of North Easterners the N.J. weather in April or May is almost balmy compared to our Winters..LOL.

Granted there would be a few extra sea days but some passengers do enjoy the voyage as well as the destination..

bosco

I have had my fingers crossed every year that Celebrity would throw their hat in the ring by keeping a ship in Bayonne for winter sails to the Caribbean!

I know we would probably book this every year if it ever happened!

Love sea days and the thought of a short drive to the ship and then escaping the cold for 1-2 weeks!

Do it Celebrity!

Late March 2006, we enjoyed a 12 night cruise on the Constellation, which was new at the time. Our 1st stop was Charleston, SC. We loved it. There was a great cruise critic thread, The Stars of the Constellation. We had our 1st aft cabin, wonderful. I would jump on the chance to do this type of cruise again. In Ontario, we are a short drive to the port of Bayonne and we also spent a day touring New York pre-cruise.

Johanne

I have been asking for more cruises out of Bayonne for years and when they ported Silhouette doing cruises November - April we were so happy. We did 12 nights from Bayonne to Southern Caribbean in March 2012. It was great. Alas, it was only one season and then they yanked her away.

I can see them not wanting to sail out of Bayonne in December, January and February, but we have sailed 3 times out of Bayonne in March (2x RCCL and 1x Celebrity) and have had great weather each time.

I suggested the same thing you are, by coming back to Bayonne earlier and leave a bit later and do some Caribbean cruises on each end. So yes we would be interested as we live 58 miles from Cape Liberty.

Count us in for 12 or even 14 nighters out of Bayonne. I'd love to see that year round. Flying is more & more of a hassle. Taking the cost of RT flights & a hotel room, & adding it to the cruise sounds like a great plan! Also, the additional sea days are a plus to us.

I have been asking for more cruises out of Bayonne for years and when they ported Silhouette doing cruises November - April we were so happy. We did 12 nights from Bayonne to Southern Caribbean in March 2012. It was great.

I can see them not wanting to sail out of Bayonne in December, January and February, but we have sailed 3 times out of Bayonne in March (2x RCCL and 1x Celebrity) and have had great weather each time.

We did the same cruise only a month before you on the February 10th sailing that year. That was when the lawn was frozen over and covered with plastic..LOL. Our table in the MDR was not a standard table (meaning REAL table) but rather a crude round of plywood with 2X4 legs nailed to it. It actually collapsed twice during the cruise before they replaced it.

We would gladly spend the time and money, normally wasted flying, on a Celebrity ship not in hotels or airports for sure.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

Late March 2006, we enjoyed a 12 night cruise on the Constellation, which was new at the time. Our 1st stop was Charleston, SC. We loved it. There was a great cruise critic thread, The Stars of the Constellation. We had our 1st aft cabin, wonderful. I would jump on the chance to do this type of cruise again. In Ontario, we are a short drive to the port of Bayonne and we also spent a day touring New York pre-cruise.

Johanne

We did the same cruise only on the April 19th, 2006 sailing with friends who had never sailed before. They got hooked and have sailed many times since then. Really enjoyed our day in Charleston as well.

bosco

Summit is doing two cruises next year in the middle of the Summer to Canada and New England because they are avoiding the America's cup in Bermuda. They are actually pretty nice cruises, doing an overnight in Boston on the 4th of July.