Diet Tonic

sabrefan

I am a first time cruiser on Holland America, will be on the Konsingdam in August. Will I be able to find diet tonic on board at any of the ship bars?

Do you mean "tonic" in the Boston sense as "soda," or diet tonic mixers / toic water? HAL has Diet Coke and in our experience Diet Sprite, maybe some others now. Not sure about the tonic water situation.

I usually take my own Diet Tonic as I try to drink a full glass of it every night.. It helps with leg cramps..I buy the smaller bottles & put them in either the cooler, or the Ice bucket..:)

Try it with Tanqueray and a lime wedge; no leg cramps . . . Or scurvy.

KenNMB

Volendam: NYC to Bermuda (1978)

Nieuw Amsterdam Seattle to Alaska (2007)

Noordam: Port Everglades TA to Rome (2014)

Zuiderdam: to Panama (partial) (2015)

Veendam: Port Everglades to Montreal (Spring 2016)

Zuiderdam: Quebec City to Port Everglades (Fall 2016)

No diet tonic water. If you are able to, you can buy the smaller cans and take them with you. The little cans will keep your tonic a little fizzier than the bottles or large cans will.

My wife and I were looking for diet tonic, in Nairobi, a few years ago. Only after we got home, looking in Asia on the way, did we realise that no branded bottler (that we've come across) actually offer it and the only place we've ever seen it is at various outpost of Safeway where it is offered through the inhouse private-label brand. Still have it in the U.S. (Pavllion/Von in SoCal) but not sure in Canada as that branch has been sold off.

KenNMB

LOL..Gin- especially Tangueray is DH's preferred drink.. I prefer Spiced Rum or Vodka, but then I'll have a headache instead of leg cramps.. It's like the old saying "Damned if you do or Damned if you don't"

My husband and I drink Myers Rum and diet tonic, and we order both in bottles from room service. It's been on the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam for our last two or three cruises, and I think we got it on the Prinsendam as well.

Don't remember the brand off-hand, it was either Canada Dry or Schwepps, but it was specifically diet.

(Myers by the bottle is an excellent value from room service by the way...)

Serendipity1499, I did not know that about tonic! I knew about the scurvy and that was good enough for me... Canada Dry makes a diet tonic and that's what I use to fizz my Bombay all summer long!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I cruised with a friend who drank diet tonic on board Amsterdam 21 days r/t out of LA several years ago. They ran out of her diet tonic during the cruise. It may depend on where the ship is stocked. If this is very important to you I suggest putting in a a special request for dietary needs with ship services. m--

My last two HAL cruises had Diet Tonic water available and it was on the bar menus in the back where is listed all of the sodas and mixers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am a first time cruiser on Holland America, will be on the Konsingdam in August. Will I be able to find diet tonic on board at any of the ship bars?

I had little problem getting Diet Tonic water aboard the Oo'dam in January. It took a while the first time as the bartender had to send someone to get it. Ask to speak with the Ship Beverage/Bar Manager if your bartender has a problem.

I usually speak to the Beverage Mgr, ask that they stock it at the pool bars, as that's my G&T consumption zone, pay the Mgr a compliment regarding the bartender in the bartender's presence, and make a friend for life of the bartender!

DW prefers diet tonic due to her having to limit sugar intake ... it has been on all our HAL cruises in recent years .. the only issue, and it was mentioned earlier, is if it is sufficiently stocked for the whole cruise.

harry

KenNMB

Excellent advice. :) For more serious cases use the Bombay Sapphire Gin.

Edited by mudscraper

DW prefers diet tonic due to her having to limit sugar intake ... it has been on all our HAL cruises in recent years .. the only issue, and it was mentioned earlier, is if it is sufficiently stocked for the whole cruise.

harry

Well I be, that's my preferred drink, Bombay Sapphire with DT but I had never asked for diet assuming they did not have it. I will ask going forward.

Do you mean "tonic" in the Boston sense as "soda," or diet tonic mixers / toic water? HAL has Diet Coke and in our experience Diet Sprite, maybe some others now. Not sure about the tonic water situation.

Being from Mass/NH this was my first thought...why would someone ask if they had diet tonic (e.g. diet coke, diet 7up, etc)! I never knew the rest of the country called it 'soda' until I was much older and I still refer to 'soft drinks' as tonic.

Tonic and "soda water" is NOT the same thing...your drink will taste awful if mixed with "soda water" instead of tonic. Don't know about the "diet" thing...just drink the regular tonic....for a week, it won't kill you...and your body KNOWS what to do with the small amount of sugar in it.!

Tonic and "soda water" is NOT the same thing...your drink will taste awful if mixed with "soda water" instead of tonic. Don't know about the "diet" thing...just drink the regular tonic....for a week, it won't kill you...and your body KNOWS what to do with the small amount of sugar in it.!

no sugar won't kill me but my body does react very violently to sugar. I wouldn't be able to leave my cabin for the week. I am excited to find diet tonic water available.

Well I be, that's my preferred drink, Bombay Sapphire with DT but I had never asked for diet assuming they did not have it. I will ask going forward.

Sapphire was once my choice, as well. As one whose medical situation dictates that I should choose diet tonic, I prefer the dirty martini mix (and olives) mixed with either fine Gin as a precursor to a wonderful meal in great, air-conditioned, white tablecloth establishment. But, on a hot day, I can't see diminishing the pleasure of a delightful G&T even a little by using a diet T. The glucose from the spirits are more concerning than those from tonic. My work history and investments (with its supplier) are why I choose Tanqueray over a Bombay Bullet; the fresh botanicals in Tanqueray Ten don't hurt, either.