C&A Wine Hack: Get 1 Bottle Deeply "Discounted"

I am recently off of Oasis and am sitting here on the worst Monday possible (the one after a cruise vacation) and thought I would share this tip with others.

If this has been posted before, I am sorry, though I have not seen it before as it was a surprise to me -- It is a unique use of the BOGO Wine by the Glass coupon that is part of the Crown and Anchor rewards and requires one other willing participant of age.

I was in Vintages enjoying a pre-Chops drink with my better 1/2 (though she says 3/4) and the waiter offered to use our two BOGO coupons to buy a bottle to take to Chops for a fraction of the price of the bottle if purchased outright or with my discount from the Premium Package.

Essentially what they do is charge you and your other C&A participant for two glasses of said wine and use both your BOGOs to get you "4" glasses of that wine. Since 4 glasses is 1 bottle by a heavy hand, they just ring up the charges and give you the whole bottle.

For Example: The waiter/sommelier at Vintages recommended the Errazuriz Founders Reserve -- $32 per glass and $130 per bottle. Using both my wife and mine's BOGO for 4 glasses, we could purchase the bottle for $64.

He also suggested this on a Belle Glos Pinot Noir which was not even offered "By The Glass" but had a "by glass" charge on a hidden sheet not listed.

Happy Cruising!

Disclaimer: Please drink happily and responsibly!

Thank-you for the very useful tip. I hope this is availabile on other ships with Vintages.:)

NOpe, is not consistent across all ships. Has always worked for us on Oasis. Used to work on Navigator, but no more. One of those "policies" not consistently applied across all RC Ships. The argument is a glass of wine can be anywhere from a 4 oz to a 6 oz pour per glass. Many think a bottle of wine is 5 glasses vs 4. We always give this a shot and have had it work every time but one.

I think your math. Is incorrect. Is the offer, buy one and get half off of the 2nd one. Therefore at $32 per glass, each order would cost 32 + 16 = $48 x 2 = $96 for the bottle instead of $130.

Our coupons have been buy one glass of wine (or beer or soda), get the second one free.

Edited by clarea

I think your math. Is incorrect. Is the offer, buy one and get half off of the 2nd one. Therefore at $32 per glass, each order would cost 32 + 16 = $48 x 2 = $96 for the bottle instead of $130.

One coupon n is by one get a second free and the OTHER coupon is a discount 10-15% off a glass.

NOpe, is not consistent across all ships. Has always worked for us on Oasis. Used to work on Navigator, but no more. One of those "policies" not consistently applied across all RC Ships.

I don't think this is a "policy" at all, but rather just something the sommelier at Vintages might do for you.

We tried the Errazuriz using a BOGO, by the way, and thought it was quite good. We figured we'd try one of the highest priced wines by the glass to make the most of our coupon.

I don't think this is a "policy" at all, but rather just something the sommelier at Vintages might do for you.

We tried the Errazuriz using a BOGO, by the way, and thought it was quite good. We figured we'd try one of the highest priced wines by the glass to make the most of our coupon.

I think it is definitely one of those things that depends on the person ringing up the transaction...like how sometimes carry-on wine is charged a corkage fee and sometimes not. Both of the Vintages sommeliers working at the time knew about the "trick" and were working diligently trying to find the best wine for my impending meal across the park.

I think it is definitely one of those things that depends on the person ringing up the transaction...like how sometimes carry-on wine is charged a corkage fee and sometimes not. Both of the Vintages sommeliers working at the time knew about the "trick" and were working diligently trying to find the best wine for my impending meal across the park.

Royal did away with corkage fees in 2014. If you're charged, you should definitely go to Guest Services to havethe charges removed.

Royal did away with corkage fees in 2014. If you're charged, you should definitely go to Guest Services to havethe charges removed.

That makes much sense given my experiences from 2013/2014 to now :)

Only problem with this even if I found a waiter/sommelier willing to sell the bottle is I would have to drink what Marie likes (it would never be the other way around :p) :(

Our discussions are of a similar nature to this

:D

The corkage fee, has been discontinued for sometime..

We read about this process (on cc) and considered it on our recent Freedom cruise, but I never asked if it was allowable. Unfortunately (and I hope I am incorrect), I suspect once RCCL bean counters get wind of the process, it will be discontinued.

Cheers -

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

We just had this offered to us as well on Oasis. We had an amazing bottle. $180, got it for $90 with our C & A coupons. Took it into Chops with us. I think the sommeliers on Oasis are some of the best.

We just had this offered to us as well on Oasis. We had an amazing bottle. $180, got it for $90 with our C & A coupons. Took it into Chops with us. I think the sommeliers on Oasis are some of the best.

I agree to the extent that we are talking about Vintages. The waiters in the MDR or even Chops don't quite have the knowledge -- so far I have been 3 for 3 in RCI cruises where the MDR has tried to get me to buy the same wine (Oberon) at first suggestion. Can't really say much for Chop's in that they didn't really offer to recommend anything -- just gave me the menu and came back for the order.