Formal Nights

lita24

I've heard that Celebrity doesn't have formal nights anymore, is this true?

Celebrity's definition of Evening Chic... Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should. All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Edited by davekathy

In November, formal night ceased to exist on Celebrity. Since then I have been on 3 cruises. On each cruise, there are some people who didn't know that formal night is gone. There are some people dressing formal on the first chic night. On the 2nd chic night, there are fewer people dressed up. On my last cruise, there were very few people dressed up. Those chic nights have become casual. I even saw guys in shorts and tees. The dress code is a joke. It seems that many people are dressing down. Even the waiters are casual. While I don't mind leaving my formal attire home, I would like to see people dressed well. Too many people look like slobs.

On our recent TP there were a lot of people in formal attire like we were. There were also some people in traditional formal wear for their country (a German man in leiderhosen, an asian woman in a beautiful silk geisha dress, and two Scotsmen in kilts). You didn't see a lot (although some) in casual attire. The atmosphere is "do your own thing". We did, however, see a couple refused their table in the Olympic (we were on MIL): he was wearing shorts and she had on a tank top.

We saw lots of very casual attire on Evening Chic nights on the Summit to Bermuda a few weeks ago. DH asked the matre d' about it and he said corporate tells them they can advise passengers about the dress code but they are not to enforce it. He said he almost lost his job once when he refused entry to an inappropriately attired passenger who then went on to complain about him. He said he missed the old days when people made an effort to look nice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On our last cruise on the Equinox this past March in the Caribbean, I am happy to say that the majority of folks still dressed up. Not so many tuxes and gowns, but lots of suits, jackets and ties, and ladies in cocktail and maxi-dresses, with lots of bling. There were also a small number who dressed down, but tastefully.

On our last cruise on the Equinox this past March in the Caribbean' date=' I am happy to say that the majority of folks still dressed up. Not so many tuxes and gowns, but lots of suits, jackets and ties, and ladies in cocktail and maxi-dresses, with lots of bling. There were also a small number who dressed down, but tastefully.[/quote']

That is good to know. I will be coming off a B2B on Adventure of the Seas to sail on Summit and will have formal wear with me. I see no issue with making things a little more relaxed however, I really don't like being dressed to the nines yet sitting next to someone who has made no effort to dress for dinner. I have begun to accept that as cruise-norm and am trying not to allow it to interfere with my enjoyment.

Was on Silhouette Select deck 4 starboard May 14 Baltic Only can report on this area of MDR

On most nights people dressed with sport shirt or sport jacket. May be once after late port 5 pm or 6pm I saw a few blue jeans. Women. they allway dress better than men.

Just curious an since this is a new concept. Does anyone have any recent pictures of themselves or a group heading out on an Evenin Chic night....just trying to get a better idea

If you want to dress to the nines...do it! You will NOT be "out of place"...These corporations are trying to attract more customers, so they are "dumbing down" the experience, so that EVERYONE will be happy. Dress up or not. If you do..you will be steps above the others. No worries!

We have just been to the Baltic on Eclipse, I would say most were smart. On the chic nights about 30% formal 50% very smart with suits ties, maxi dresses and sparkly tops for ladies. Very few too casual. As others have said were what makes you feel your best and enjoy. ( must admit I love dressing up )

Someone posted a picture of herself in the dining room of eclipse on Chic night on a Facebook group yesterday. She was in a black lace dress, he was in a tux. At the window seat behind then were two men in Polo shirts. Pretty much summarizes Chic night. You will see it all.

Just curious an since this is a new concept. Does anyone have any recent pictures of themselves or a group heading out on an Evenin Chic night....just trying to get a better idea

Last Nov on the Equinox. Compared to the year before.;)

twinkies.jpg.d2a78e877aaab5611fe3b9ea6a88f681.jpg

dinner.jpg.6aaaeb8a17792e1caa7c7bce2483e3aa.jpg

FORMAL.jpg.5b441a11603c2e3b18fb46705112ecef.jpg

If you want to dress to the nines...do it! You will NOT be "out of place"...These corporations are trying to attract more customers, so they are "dumbing down" the experience, so that EVERYONE will be happy. Dress up or not. If you do..you will be steps above the others. No worries!

Are you serious? Steps above others who choose not to over pack on voyages like mine where I fly to China?

I think they are improving the experience. If you feel "dumbed down" then this is not the line for you. Celebrity is a mass market line so of course they respond to what the masses want, You'd be more comfortable on Crystal where they dress more formal.

Your statement says it all "These corporations are trying to attract more customers" They are responding to what MORE people want and not dumbing down anything.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Are you serious? Steps above others who choose not to over pack on voyages like mine where I fly to China?

I think they are improving the experience. If you feel "dumbed down" then this is not the line for you. Celebrity is a mass market line so of course they respond to what the masses want, You'd be more comfortable on Crystal where they dress more formal.

Your statement says it all "These corporations are trying to attract more customers" They are responding to what MORE people want and not dumbing down anything.

Ya know the old saying, ya can dress up a pig, but it is still a pig.:rolleyes:

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

• A cocktail dress

• Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

• Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

We saw lots of very casual attire on Evening Chic nights on the Summit to Bermuda a few weeks ago. DH asked the matre d' about it and he said corporate tells them they can advise passengers about the dress code but they are not to enforce it. He said he almost lost his job once when he refused entry to an inappropriately attired passenger who then went on to complain about him. He said he missed the old days when people made an effort to look nice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That is just wrong that he almost his job over turning someone away. He should have been thanked for it. A lot of people just have no class.

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

• A cocktail dress

• Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

• Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Seriously Celebrity? Your Evening Chic dress code is a joke if the matre d' can't even enforce it. Tank tops, t-shirts, shorts? What's next swimsuits? I wouldn't be a bit surprised. You might as well just start serving McDonalds to go along with the rest of it. :rolleyes:

Edited by ReneeFLL