$1,000 for Name Change?

doublebzz

Really? I buy insurance because I want to be covered for medical expenses, missed travel connections and lost baggage; not because I'm particularly concerned about the unexpected death of a close relative.

My medical expenses are covered anywhere in the world. I buy it in case an elderly parent dies while we are gone and I need to get home or in this case of having to cancel due to a death.

Really? I buy insurance because I want to be covered for medical expenses, missed travel connections and lost baggage; not because I'm particularly concerned about the unexpected death of a close relative.

My medical expenses are covered anywhere in the world. I buy it in case an elderly parent dies while we are gone and I need to get home or in this case of having to cancel due to a death.

Doublebzz, Like the above poster, Our Insurer advised that they would cover any Medical problems we have on board or when we're out of the country even though medicare will not cover us..

Lost baggage does not concern me as we don't fly & can well afford to replace any of our clothing items which could be lost at the port.. Missed connections are no problem either as we drive to the port..

However, we do purchase extra Insurance for Evacuation & Repatriation as well as for any cancellations & reschedulings due to death in our family...

There are many good reasons to purchase insurance! As I have always stated, if HAL or any other cruise lines did this for one person then they would have to do it for everyone & no one would buy insurance..

Edited by serendipity1499

Really? You want coverage for missed connections and lost baggage but aren't concerned about the thousands you would lose if you had to cancel before leaving home?

Really? You want coverage for missed connections and lost baggage but aren't concerned about the thousands you would lose if you had to cancel before leaving home?

Or worse ending it just as you start the cruise so you lose the fare plus have to get flights home from a possibly remote location

Or worse ending it just as you start the cruise so you lose the fare plus have to get flights home from a possibly remote location

You are taking my words out of context and, of course, apparently disregarded my original comment that I counseled that the guest should purchase insurance. The unexpected loss of a relative is not a primary reason for purchase of insurance in my particular case although I understand it may be for many. I'm also sure everyone knows that HAL derives revenue from the insurance it sells so its quite understandable that it would encourage guests to purchase same.

As a matter of interest, the gentleman I've described is a nationally recognized thoracic surgeon so the implication by one of the posters about his intelligence is probably inaccurate. Secondly, he is thoroughly inexperienced with cruising as this was to be his first cruise and, now, I suspect his last. Thirdly, he paid full retail price for the cruise receiving neither a discount nor any on board credits.

Finally, I have no problem with HAL charging a reasonable administrative fee for a guest substitution. I do feel, however, that $1,000 is not reasonable and was simply asking how others felt in that regard.

I purchase insurance for most of these reasons. And yet, the only time I've used my insurance was for the unexpected death of my father.

Edited by PatsyAnne

$1,000 is a lot of money, but if this was just before sailing that the change was made, a long cruise, or for a suite or PH, then maybe not. If the fare paid was, say $799 for a week- then the fee is more than the fare. But if the fare was $10-15k, or more, it's not that much.

You are taking my words out of context and, of course, apparently disregarded my original comment that I counseled that the guest should purchase insurance. The unexpected loss of a relative is not a primary reason for purchase of insurance in my particular case although I understand it may be for many. I'm also sure everyone knows that HAL derives revenue from the insurance it sells so its quite understandable that it would encourage guests to purchase same.

As a matter of interest, the gentleman I've described is a nationally recognized thoracic surgeon so the implication by one of the posters about his intelligence is probably inaccurate. Secondly, he is thoroughly inexperienced with cruising as this was to be his first cruise and, now, I suspect his last. Thirdly, he paid full retail price for the cruise receiving neither a discount nor any on board credits.

Finally, I have no problem with HAL charging a reasonable administrative fee for a guest substitution. I do feel, however, that $1,000 is not reasonable and was simply asking how others felt in that regard.

As most of us have said, we do not think this is an administrative fee..IMO HAL is treating it as a cancellation & new booking which they should be doing.. Every Cruise Line that I've ever dealt with does the same..

HAL ONLY derives revenue from the insurance they sell! Most of our Friends Do NOT purchase the Cruise lines insurance... We've never purchased insurance from HAL...We've always purchased it from a stand alone Insurance Company with the exception of this next cruise..HAL's basic premium policy for a $1400 fare (less taxes) is only $159 ...Of course that is also a basic policy but does have a "Cancel for any Reason" clause in it.. I've checked three other insurers & all their policies are in the range of $250 to $300 per person for a fare of $1400 because ages of Psgrs must be taken into account..

IMO the HAL insurance is quite reasonable..And you said yourself that you even suggested your Friend purchase insurance..

Any well known Thoracic Surgeon should understand insurance, because most people have insurance to pay his fee.. Every physician I've ever gone to always has his/her staff check on what type of insurance I have..

Also agree with TiogaCruiser..We have no idea what fare was paid or even what class of service was purchased, or when the Psgr was due to travel...

Edited by serendipity1499

Any well known Thoracic Surgeon should understand insurance, because most people have insurance to pay his fee.. Every physician I've ever gone to always has his/her staff check on what type of insurance I have...

From lots of professional experience I can tell you many physicians do not understand insurance. And I am told frequently by many docs that it isn't their job. The realities of modern medicine keep them busy with patient care and professional activities. And most are now employees. Those who still have a private practice are part of a group- and they hire a billing company and office manager to run the business. Insurances and regulations (HIPAA, HITECH, MU, etc.) have become so much more complex, and then there are the EMRs. Our state has gone all managed care- so our MediCaid (Medi-Cal) pays docs capitation (a few bucks a month per appt to provide whatever care is needed). And there may be several layers above the office before that fee gets to them.

From lots of professional experience I can tell you many physicians do not understand insurance

True, they likely don't know (or need to know) anything about medical insurance other than their own. Still, they live in the same world we all do and own homes and cars which they likely have insured.

Accordingly there's no excuse for not understanding the concept of trip insurance.

The bottom line her folks is BUY INSURANCE, regardless of your intelligence level or professional competency.

No. It's as dumb to just blindly buy insurance as it is to blindly not buy insurance.

Instead, make a reasoned decision based upon your personal circumstances and risk tolerance.

Just don't whine about it if you choose not to buy insurance and suffer a loss.

Edited by gpb11

I can understand why the cruise line does this. Partly to exclude a secondary market in their product.

The T's and C's are clear. We accept them when we book.

We have only had one experience where I substituted my spouse for my father. Medical issues. Same name. Princess charged $25. We were inside the final payment window. This was a number of years ago and no doubt the policy could have been changed.

Either way, it is the customer's responsibility, not HAL's. As others have said, this is what insurance is for-either from a credit card provider or from a carrier.

You might also want to check out insurance that your credit card provides. My card provides free of charge:

Covered Trip means any pre-paid tour, trip or vacation when some

portion of the cost for such travel arrangements less any redeemable

frequent flyer miles, points, coupons or certificates, or other types of

redeemable Rewards has been charged to your Account:

• while the insurance is in effect

• to a destination of greater than one (1) mile from your

primary residence

• and is for a time period that doesn’t exceed sixty (60) days

in duration

A Covered Loss is one of the following events that occur when you

or an Immediate Family Member is covered under the policy while it is

in effect:

• Accidental Bodily Injury, Loss of Life, or Sickness experienced by

you, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family Member of you

or a Traveling Companion

• Severe weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent person

from beginning or continuing on a Covered Trip

• Change in military orders for you, your Spouse, or your

Domestic Partner

• A terrorist action or hijacking

• A call to jury duty or receiving a subpoena from the courts, neither

of which can be postponed or waived

• Finding your or your Traveling Companion’s dwelling to

be uninhabitable

• Quarantine imposed by a Physician for health reasons

• Financial insolvency of the Travel Agency, Tour Operator, or

Travel Supplier whose services you booked

What types of Trip Interruption expenses are eligible

for reimbursement?

If a Trip Interruption occurs, the Company will reimburse you for up to the

maximum Benefit Amount of ten thousand ($10,000.00) dollars for:

• the forfeited, non-refundable pre-paid land, air and/or sea

transportation arrangements that were missed

If you or an Immediate Family Member are forced to temporarily

postpone a Covered Trip due to a Covered Loss and a new departure

date is set, the Company will:

• reimburse for the unused Non-Refundable land, air and/or

sea arrangements

You might also want to check out insurance that your credit card provides. My card provides free of charge:

Covered Trip means any pre-paid tour, trip or vacation when some

portion of the cost for such travel arrangements less any redeemable

frequent flyer miles, points, coupons or certificates, or other types of

redeemable Rewards has been charged to your Account:

• while the insurance is in effect

•• Accidental Bodily Injury, Loss of Life, or Sickness experienced by

you, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family Member of you

or a Traveling Companion

• •

What types of Trip Interruption expenses are eligible

for reimbursement?

If a Trip Interruption occurs, the Company will reimburse you for up to the

maximum Benefit Amount of ten thousand ($10,000.00) dollars for:

• the forfeited, non-refundable pre-paid land, air and/or sea

transportation arrangements that were missed

If you or an Immediate Family Member are forced to temporarily

postpone a Covered Trip due to a Covered Loss and a new departure

date is set, the Company will:

• reimburse for the unused Non-Refundable land, air and/or

sea arrangements

Now, this is a relevant insurance comment to the OP. The other insurance posters seem to have lost the relevant question to this post, IMO - which was 'is this price to change too high'.....not 'should my friend who is dealing with the death of his partner have bought insurance and since he didn't let's all gang up'.

A friend of mine recently booked a HAL cruise and, contrary to my recommendation, didn't purchase travel insurance. HAL indicated this was possible but there would be a $1,000 fee for the change of name. Anyone else out there think this is exorbitant?

Every travel company has hard and fast rules, they make them so that people don't take advantage of flexibility. But, in my 16 years of consulting, traveling quite extensively, anytime I've had a major emergency and needed help, companies have helped me. Either it's a rebook or waiving a $200+ fee, I've luckily had companies work with me. If they are reluctant, I keep calling until I find someone that can help. In the most few years, I've taken to using social media. Twitter and Facebook are great in seeking help.

We all know what the contacts say, we know insurance is important. But, when horrible things happen, it's in the company's best interest to keep a customer happy and try help them out. I could see $500 for a passenger swap out. $1000 is nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We all know what the contacts say, we know insurance is important. But, when horrible things happen, it's in the company's best interest to keep a customer happy and try help them out. I could see $500 for a passenger swap out. $1000 is nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Couldn't agree more and it makes good sense from a business standpoint. I don't know how this is going to end up outside of the person in question is cancelling. However, his partner is still going, so by not accommodating the substitution, HAL is losing all the on-board expenses and service charges that this guest would have incurred.

Couldn't agree more and it makes good sense from a business standpoint. I don't know how this is going to end up outside of the person in question is cancelling. However, his partner is still going, so by not accommodating the substitution, HAL is losing all the on-board expenses and service charges that this guest would have incurred.

I just thought of something and if it's been answered somewhere in the three pages of this thread, I apologize. Would HAL still charge (or attempt to charge) the HSC for the no-show because this was a double occupancy booking? I'm thinking "no" but it seems like you can never be sure. :confused:

I just thought of something and if it's been answered somewhere in the three pages of this thread, I apologize. Would HAL still charge (or attempt to charge) the HSC for the no-show because this was a double occupancy booking? I'm thinking "no" but it seems like you can never be sure. :confused:

You are correct. The HSC is charged per person, not per cabin.

I know what the cruise contract says but making a simple name change surely doesn't justify a $1000 fee. It's not like HAL is losing money by doing it. Taking care of it would probably take less key strokes than most of these posts.

HAL does not allow name changes. Bookings are not transferable. The change is basically a cancellation and new booking for the changed spot. Cost depends upon current prices and amount of time until cruise.

Insurance was not purchased, contract terms apply.

HAL explicitly states that bookings are NOT transferable. As such it is not an administrative fee. It would be an administrative fee if bookings were transferable.

It is the cost of the booking at current rates, minus the amount that would be refunded if canceled.