$1,000 for Name Change?

doublebzz

A friend of mine recently booked a HAL cruise and, contrary to my recommendation, didn't purchase travel insurance. Subsequently, his brother died which prohibits him from going on the cruise. His partner is still going and he requested his niece to be substituted in his place. HAL indicated this was possible but there would be a $1,000 fee for the change of name. Anyone else out there think this is exorbitant?

The last lines of their Cancellation Policy say:

Name changes require the prior approval of Holland America Line and may not always be possible. Cruise contracts are nontransferable. Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to cancellation fees.

Depending on how far past final payment date you are, the cancellation fee can be 50, 75, or 100%.

Edited by catl331

Changes for a new name for a booking say.... to put your secretary's name on instead of your wife's name. $1,000. For WHAT? $100, $150... fine.

For a death in the family? Call the clients and say, "We are sorry with your loss. No charge." Anything else is just meanness.

A friend of mine recently booked a HAL cruise and, contrary to my recommendation, didn't purchase travel insurance. Subsequently, his brother died which prohibits him from going on the cruise. His partner is still going and he requested his niece to be substituted in his place. HAL indicated this was possible but there would be a $1,000 fee for the change of name. Anyone else out there think this is exorbitant?

Could you please explain to me exactly which part of "Cruise contracts are nontransferable. Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to cancellation fees." you do not understand.

Scott & Karen

Changes for a new name for a booking say.... to put your secretary's name on instead of your wife's name. $1,000. For WHAT? $100, $150... fine.

For a death in the family? Call the clients and say, "We are sorry with your loss. No charge." Anything else is just meanness.

Yes the cruise contract does specify that this technically represents a cancellation with a subsequent cancellation fee but I have to wonder where's the cruise line's heart in this particular situation? The OP's friend is not cancelling altogether (leaving HAL to last-minute fill the cabin), but rather just trying to substitute another person for the deceased and you would think some sensibility would be applied with perhaps a nominal name change fee... along with the cruise line's condolences.

Edited by joepeka

I know what the cruise contract says but making a simple name change surely doesn't justify a $1000 fee. It's not like HAL is losing money by doing it. Taking care of it would probably take less key strokes than most of these posts.

Yes the cruise contract does specify that this technically represents a cancellation with a subsequent cancellation fee but I have to wonder where's the cruise line's heart in this particular situation? The OP's friend is not cancelling altogether (leaving HAL to last-minute fill the cabin), but rather just trying to substitute another person for the deceased and you would think some sensibility would be applied with perhaps a nominal name change fee... along with the cruise line's condolences.

Yes but that requires empowered employees who can make such a decision. I would try pushing it up the chain of command until you find someone who has some actual authority. While HAL is enforcing the contract, they have an opportunity to show some compassion. Of course then they have to deal with people taking advantage of it like airlines when there is a death in a family.

For the brother of the deceased not to go, it must be a cruise that's leaving very shortly. Because we have mothers in their 80s, we always buy insurance to cover us in case we have to cancel a cruise during the penalty phase. It's an unfortunately expensive lesson for him to learn, although I agree with others that someone higher up at HAL may be able to lessen the fee.

I agree with others that someone higher up at HAL may be able to lessen the fee.
But if it got to be common practice for "higher ups" to make exceptions for deaths or serious illnesses, people would stop buying insurance. That's what it's for. But HAL could change the policy of treating a simple name change as a cancellation and rebooking.

But HAL could change the policy of treating a simple name change as a cancellation and rebooking.

Yes, I agree with that. Isn't cancelling a cabin altogether and just substituting one person for another two entirely different situations?

Wouldn't a "name change" be something like swapping out a maiden name for a married name, or getting "Tom" changed to "Thomas" to match a passport. This thread is about swapping out one passenger for another.

The $1000 cost for the rebooking seems high but if that it what the cruise contract which is the governing document for the cruise says, that is what it is.

However, the OP's friend was offered the opportunity to buy insurance and they decided to pass on it. The OP even told him that he should take insurance and he still decided not to purchase it. I have purchased insurance on every trip that I have taken and I am happy to say that all of my purchases have been wasted as I have been lucky enough to never have any major issues on a cruise. Minor insurance covered issues - yes. Major issues - no. Why should the rest of us or the cruise line bail him out because of a dumb personal decision that he made.

And as several other people have said on this thread, why should any of us buy insurance if we can always play the sob factor and expect the cruise company to bail us out.

DON

Wouldn't a "name change" be something like swapping out a maiden name for a married name, or getting "Tom" changed to "Thomas" to match a passport. This thread is about swapping out one passenger for another.
I'm pretty sure HAL is using the term "name change" to mean "person change". I've heard about name typo errors being fixed without any charges.

And as several other people have said on this thread, why should any of us buy insurance if we can always play the sob factor and expect the cruise company to bail us out.

DON

Several years ago I gave a cruise to a lovely couple. Just a few weeks before the husband became quite seriously ill and they could no go. Thankfully I had a couple of friends that had the time to go cruising. There was no problem and no charge.

Look on the other side of the coin. Say there was an extra charge I decided to say nothing and they were no shows. The cabin would stay empty for the cruise and HAL would loose because: 1. No service charge would be taken. 2. No onboard revenue would be generated from bars, shops or excursions etc.

But if it got to be common practice for "higher ups" to make exceptions for deaths or serious illnesses, people would stop buying insurance. That's what it's for. But HAL could change the policy of treating a simple name change as a cancellation and rebooking.

No I don't think it is exorbitant at all..This is what insurance is for..

They even warn you when you make a booking to purchase insurance..If HAL permitted substitutions then as Cat & Roz Stated, no one would buy insurance..

Several years ago our Friend & her Husband were booked on HAL & our Friends DH passed away.. Another Friend went with her in his place..It was treated as a cancellation & a new booking..

Let me state up front that I fully understand the wording of the contract and that I am well aware of the benefits of insurance. I have no question that HAL is well within its rights to treat this as a new booking, and I agree that the friend's decision not to buy insurance was a poor one. Oh, I also understand the difference between "name change" and "passenger change."

That out of the way, I do question HAL's business practise of charging more than a small, nominal fee for what is at most a minor administrative change. If Sue replace Sam, no matter what the reason, what difference does it make to HAL? As long as the change takes place before the deadline for drawing up the final passenger manifest, I don't see a problem. If it is a simple one-for-one passenger change and other the other member(s) of the booking party don't change, what is the cost to HAL? Maybe I'm missing something here, but if I've booked a cabin for my DW and I and she can't come for some reason, I don't understand why I would need to pay an exorbitant fee to have my son join me instead.

Could you please explain to me exactly which part of "Cruise contracts are nontransferable. Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to cancellation fees." you do not understand.

Scott & Karen

A bit harsh don't you think? The OP was asking -they might not have seen that and they are asking for someone else. That was posted AFTER the OP asked the question. Why come down on them?

There has been a loss suffered with a sad death - an unexpected one it appears. That's enough pain and suffering I think.

Several years ago I gave a cruise to a lovely couple. Just a few weeks before the husband became quite seriously ill and they could no go. Thankfully I had a couple of friends that had the time to go cruising. There was no problem and no charge.

Look on the other side of the coin. Say there was an extra charge I decided to say nothing and they were no shows. The cabin would stay empty for the cruise and HAL would loose because: 1. No service charge would be taken. 2. No onboard revenue would be generated from bars, shops or excursions etc.

So nice to hear it worked out for you.

You make some very good points.

Edited by kazu

No I don't think it is exorbitant at all..This is what insurance is for..

They even warn you when you make a booking to purchase insurance..If HAL permitted substitutions then as Cat & Roz Stated, no one would buy insurance..

Really? I buy insurance because I want to be covered for medical expenses, missed travel connections and lost baggage; not because I'm particularly concerned about the unexpected death of a close relative.

First, I agree that in this situation, you should ask to speak up the ranks for consideration. The attempt may be fruitful or futile.

As to the harshness of the name change statement, I think it was put into place for a reason. I can easily think of scenerios where George can't go, so replace with Jill, who then broke her nail so is sending Mary in her place. But Mary didn't get her ESTA in time, so Percy is going instead....and with no significant penalty, I can see this sort of thing happening multiplied by several on any given ship on any given cruise. It is also a contract entered into between the passenger and ship, so there is impact. I expect that all the paperwork behind the scenes, the required manifests and checks and balances are not a small thing.