Very 1st HAL trip to see Alaska - A few questions

axelskater

We went to Alaska at the end of May this year, the majority of passengers were in their 40s. We're in our late 60s and we had a wonderful time, it was a very friendly crowd.

That's great news - I think there will be people for us to meet, and for my mom to meet then. My husband and I skew the age demographic on Cunard :p

I will also be on my first Hal ship but the Zaandam. Don't know much about it other than it allows my husband, my father and I too go on the cruise, even booking late with getting a nice suite! ( my mom passed away in April and dads always wanted to go to Alaska. I am thrilled we will share this trip together.)

Our roll call has only 5 people on it so I am not able to utilize that as a resource (at least so far).

We choose anytime dinning because it worked well in the Med, but in the carribbean, we like late dinning.

Any good tips u learned about HAL?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Suggest you get a good pair of shoes. If your feet are cold and wet, you are too. Something insulated with a breathable lining, think goretex or equivalent.

Taking an extra pair of socks will help too if your shoes and socks get wet; just the socks make a difference already!

Light gloves and knit cap is worthwhile taking too.

And the restaurants - like the Pinnacle Grill (which someone said they ate breakfast in, but I can't find that listed anywhere) I also see they do a "Le Cirque" dinner - one night only it looks like.

Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill is a perk for Neptune and Pinnacle suites only.

:confused:

Well - I tried to book an earlier date, but nothing available R/T Seattle, only from Vancouver. I looked up the logistics of the weather, and it is an earlier sunset, (mentioned civil twilight also). I was trying to avoid the logistics of Vancouver. The Seattle itinerary seemed nice also.

I also heard that Port cabins were better for Glacier Bay but the only one available is Starboard, though I guess that would be okay.

Does anyone have a preference on Vancouver itineraries, if I do decide to go that way in order to leave earlier? Thanks!

Here is a 6 minute video from YouTube that we just put together of our recent May 24-June 6th, 2016 cruise. Hope it posts correctly and you enjoy it.

Thanks so much for posting a link to your fantastic video. We are first-timers to HAL as well and will be on the Maasdam 14 day Alaska itinerary in August. Watching your video makes me even more excited if that's humanly possible! :D

Here is a 6 minute video from YouTube that we just put together of our recent May 24-June 6th, 2016 cruise. Hope it posts correctly and you enjoy it.

Incredible looking! Thank you....Where are you at 3:19? Is that a specific fjord/bay?

Well - I tried to book an earlier date, but nothing available R/T Seattle, only from Vancouver. I looked up the logistics of the weather, and it is an earlier sunset, (mentioned civil twilight also). I was trying to avoid the logistics of Vancouver. The Seattle itinerary seemed nice also.

I also heard that Port cabins were better for Glacier Bay but the only one available is Starboard, though I guess that would be okay.

Does anyone have a preference on Vancouver itineraries, if I do decide to go that way in order to leave earlier? Thanks!

I personally find that the scenery departing from/returning to Vancouver to be far superior than from/to Seattle. With Vancouver departures, you sail in the Canadian Inside Passage. With Seattle departures, you sail on the west side of Vancouver Island, in open ocean. You can still fly into Seattle if airfare is a concern and take the bus/train to Vancouver. However, Seattle departures tend to go to Sitka (lovely port) which Vancouver departures do not. Seattle departures also have a short stop in Victoria.

Port/starboard does not matter in Glacier Bay. The ship will either spin around in front of Margerie Glacier or will spend half an hour with port side facing the glacier and the other half hour with starboard side facing the glacier. And, trust me, you won't want to stay on one side of the ship in Alaska. Get out onto open decks, particularly high ones and do a 360 turn or two yourself.

If this is your only time to Alaska go from Vancouver, logistics be damned. If you think you might go back, then do whatever is comfortable for you now and then next time do the other.

The R/T cruises out of Vancouver are very similar to those out of Seattle. The path is more protected as it uses the channel to the east of Vancouver Island. And the port times seem a little more generous since it doesnt need that hurried stop in Victoria. You

probably lose Sitka but gain Skagway and Tracy Arm. Skagway offers numerous White Pass & Youkon RR excursions. Tracy Arm is a spectacular narrow fjord with the South Sawyer glacier at the head. You can take a small ship excursion directly from the cruise

ship at the entrance to TA rejoining the cruise ship in Juneau.

If one flies in the day before, there are several good hotels near the cruise port, Canada Place. I like the PanPacific which is directly on top, transfer to the port via ELEVATOR.

Thank you for info on the ports, etc. In reading these posts about weather, one thing I have decided is to at least go the 1st week in September - which is only a little more in cost. My jaw dropped when I saw late August added 500.00 per person, and we are 3 people! :eek:

So early September it is!

The Seattle pick was for 2 reasons - one is getting out quickly the day we return. Flying is just a very difficult thing for me. I have to go from NC to the West coast and it is a hard flight for someone who is a nervous flyer. If I am going to be out west, I am going to take advantage of the proximity of CA and hit Disneyland (another 1st!) and their Grand California resort for 4 or 5 days. I was really just wanting a quick exit & a non stop flight from a US airport to LAX. I will likely not be willing to fly to the west coast again for a long time! So I am combining two trips in one.

The other reason is Glacier Bay. I have read often about Glacier Bay and the only way to see it is R/T Seattle; I know other parts are beautiful but I just have this image in my mind of seeing Glacier Bay. Three people in the forum have also mentioned the beauty of Sitka, and that is also a stop. The open seas don't worry me, I have been through 45 foot seas & a blizzard on the QM2...though she is a purpose-built liner!

I will have to switch to the Nieuw Amsterdam, but I understand she is the Eurodam's sister ship.

The other reason is Glacier Bay. I have read often about Glacier Bay and the only way to see it is R/T Seattle;

I will have to switch to the Nieuw Amsterdam, but I understand she is the Eurodam's sister ship.

Contrary to what you have read, Glacier Bay is on the Vancouver R/T itineraries.

We just returned from the NA in May 2016.

We have cruised to Alaska in mid September and had fabulous weather (sunny & high 70s) but don't think that is the norm. We were in our late 40s at the time and were some of the youngest on the ship which was fine for us as we had a wonderful time.

I think you will meet many new friends if you have assigned seating or any time dining you will meet a lot of lovely new people.

I think HAL is a great choice for you and I hope you enjoy every moment.

We enjoyed our cruise to Alaska so much we are going back in 2 weeks on Ms Westerdam.

We have cruised to Alaska in mid September and had fabulous weather (sunny & high 70s) but don't think that is the norm. We were in our late 40s at the time and were some of the youngest on the ship which was fine for us as we had a wonderful time.

I think you will meet many new friends if you have assigned seating or any time dining you will meet a lot of lovely new people.

I think HAL is a great choice for you and I hope you enjoy every moment.

We enjoyed our cruise to Alaska so much we are going back in 2 weeks on Ms Westerdam.

I'm jealous! We're a year away. I'm making my deposit today. I was briefly seduced by Celebrity while doing research last night - but it looks like HAL has more of the atmosphere we will enjoy. Im going to order a book on Alaskan ports today to start my research on what to do while we're there. I've settled on R/T Seattle. It will be the least amount of flight time for me, and that's a big deal as I'm not a good flyer.

I'm jealous! We're a year away. I'm making my deposit today. I was briefly seduced by Celebrity while doing research last night - but it looks like HAL has more of the atmosphere we will enjoy. Im going to order a book on Alaskan ports today to start my research on what to do while we're there. I've settled on R/T Seattle. It will be the least amount of flight time for me, and that's a big deal as I'm not a good flyer.

I highly recommend "The Alaska Cruise Handbook, A Mile by Mile Guide" by Joe Upton. It includes a map with all of the mile markers (used in the book) so you can figure out where you are. They used to sell it in the shop onboard; I'm not sure if they still do. When I bought mine onboard, in 2009, the Captain even referred to the mile markers in his daily briefing.

I highly recommend "The Alaska Cruise Handbook, A Mile by Mile Guide" by Joe Upton. It includes a map with all of the mile markers (used in the book) so you can figure out where you are. They used to sell it in the shop onboard; I'm not sure if they still do. When I bought mine onboard, in 2009, the Captain even referred to the mile markers in his daily briefing.

Thank you. I have "Alaska by Cruise Ship" by Anne Vipond, and I will go ahead and order that other one you mentioned at Amazon. Travel Reading is one of my great pleasures, even if I never visit the spot. This time I am though!

Edited by axelskater

Thank you. I have "Alaska by Cruise Ship" by Anne Vipond, and I will go ahead and order that other one you mentioned at Amazon. Travel Reading is one of my great pleasures, even if I never visit the spot. This time I am though!

My cruise is also next May and can't wait. I ordered and received both of these books last week and they both seem excellent. I'm especially excited by the "Mile-by-Mile" book. So much to see on the cruise, I don't know when I'll be able to sleep. I also bought "Alaska" by Michener. I'm hoping that reading and researching will help the next 11 months fly by.

I also bought "Alaska" by Michener. I'm hoping that reading and researching will help the next 11 months fly by.

I read that book before my first Alaska cruise, and found it so easy to "see" everything he was talking about. When I got there, I was able to see it all come alive. His book was a perfect preview for me. I was able to picture Dolly's House (Ketchikan), and Dead Horse Gulch (train ride out of Skagway) as they existed then, not as they are now.

I support your idea of reading that before you go wholeheartedly.

My wife is reading MItchner's Alaska again for the third time. She says it enhances her excitement for our upcoming August cruise. I'm so excited I really don't need anything to pump me up! : )

Edited by JimAOk1945

I read that book before my first Alaska cruise, and found it so easy to "see" everything he was talking about. When I got there, I was able to see it all come alive. His book was a perfect preview for me. I was able to picture Dolly's House (Ketchikan), and Dead Horse Gulch (train ride out of Skagway) as they existed then, not as they are now.

I support your idea of reading that before you go wholeheartedly.

Love this!! Thank you for sharing!!