Holland America vs Princess Alaska

luvcafe

I've done some researches and have narrowed down to HA vs Princess to Alaska round trip from Seattle but still can't decide which is better? I like both itineraries.

I'm looking at obstructed ocean view on both cruise. They're same price at the moment. Sailing last week of July.

I've done some researches and have narrowed down to HA vs Princess to Alaska round trip from Seattle but still can't decide which is better? I like both itineraries.

I'm looking at obstructed ocean view on both cruise. They're same price at the moment. Sailing last week of July.

Flip a coin. Both are very capable cruise lines.

My only alternate would be to sail out of Vancouver and have 2 extra days in the Inside Passage.

Seattle round trips, for the most part, spend one day each way in the open sea on the west side of Vancouver island.

Flip a coin. Both are very capable cruise lines.

My only alternate would be to sail out of Vancouver and have 2 extra days in the Inside Passage.

Seattle round trips, for the most part, spend one day each way in the open sea on the west side of Vancouver island.

I checked Vancouver sailing...date doesn't work out and 2nd date cost a lot more.

Look like Vancouver sailing is more popular.

That's a tough choice.

Princess has much better entertainment and they do not allow smoking on balconies (HAL does)....in case you consider upgrading.

HAL, on the other hand, has a much better indoor lounge for viewing, and their ships do not feel nearly as crowded as Princess. I also think the service is a little better on HAL.

You can't go wrong with either one but having sailed both lines, I think I would lean toward HAL here. I think the more traditional HAL ships have better viewing areas than Princess. On the other hand, if you upgrade to a balcony, go with Princess to avoid smoking neighbors.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises on Princess, HAL and NCL. All were great.

Check the length of time that you will be in port. Some cruise lines stay longer in the ports. Also -- check to make certain that you are visiting at least Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier -- calving is really a great scene to view.

That's a tough choice.

Princess has much better entertainment and they do not allow smoking on balconies (HAL does)....in case you consider upgrading.

HAL, on the other hand, has a much better indoor lounge for viewing, and their ships do not feel nearly as crowded as Princess. I also think the service is a little better on HAL.

You can't go wrong with either one but having sailed both lines, I think I would lean toward HAL here. I think the more traditional HAL ships have better viewing areas than Princess. On the other hand, if you upgrade to a balcony, go with Princess to avoid smoking neighbors.

Thank you. At first I was thinking to get a balcony on HAL, didn't know about smoking on balcony.

I am looking at HAL ms westerdam vs Crown Princess.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises on Princess, HAL and NCL. All were great.

Check the length of time that you will be in port. Some cruise lines stay longer in the ports. Also -- check to make certain that you are visiting at least Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier -- calving is really a great scene to view.

Thanks. Both cruising a few hours at Glacier Bay. I've never done any cruise so this will be my first.

We completed our first cruise/first trip to Alaska earlier this month. Did the Crown Princess R/T from Seattle. Amazed by the whole experience: ship was classy, service was excellent, room was nice, food was good, scenery was amazing, entertainment was fun. Glacier Bay was outstanding! Loved the ports: wish we had more time in Ketchikan and Victoria, but all were enjoyable. Obviously I have nothing to compare it to, but would totally do Princess to Alaska (or anywhere!) again.

Edited by journeycollector

Check the cost of the airfare and all the options for which you'll need to pay (e.g., beverages, excursions, internet, etc). Then compare the "net daily cost" to Oceania, which includes those items (and more). O's Regatta, with less than 700 passengers gets "up close and personal" with the Hubbard Glacier.

Check the cost of the airfare and all the options for which you'll need to pay (e.g., beverages, excursions, internet, etc). Then compare the "net daily cost" to Oceania, which includes those items (and more). O's Regatta, with less than 700 passengers gets "up close and personal" with the Hubbard Glacier.

OK, they narrowed it down to either HAL or Princess. IF, it was between HAL and O or Princess and O, your post would be relevant. Why must you always recommend O every time and even when it's not in the mix? I'm beginning to think you work for them.:D

Another thing you need to know is the need for a passport. If your cruise starts or ends in Vancouver, or if you take an excursion that goes into Canada, you'll need a passport.

For me, after cruising both HAL and Princess, I'd take Princess every time. We were disappointed in the HAL smoking policy, we found the food to be not nearly as good, and the average age on HAL was a lot higher than on any of our Princess cruises.

OK, they narrowed it down to either HAL or Princess. IF, it was between HAL and O or Princess and O, your post would be relevant. Why must you always recommend O every time and even when it's not in the mix? I'm beginning to think you work for them.:D

Not an O employee- just a big fan - both of Oceania AND of novice cruisers who might benefit from a suggestion about quality and value..

Anytime I see folks comparing HAL, Princess and/or Celebrity, it's reasonable to assume that the elimination of premium lines (like Oceania) is based on limiting the cost comparison to cabin prices. I know because I used to do that until a terrific TA (actually a former HAL cruise director) showed me a "net daily rate" comparison (all expenses considered) that included those lines plus Oceania. She also did this because her long conversation with us about our preferences and travel experience suggested that a move up to the premium cruise sector was in order.

When I point out Oceania to folks looking for something better than the mass market, it's really only an invitation for them to do the math. Interestingly, the first time I did the math, it was an Alaska cruise and O was only a few dollars more than the "high end" mass market lines for what turned out to be a far superior product.

For a first time Alaska cruise either of these lines would work well. I have cruised on both and as previous posters have noted there are plusEs and minuses for each of them One difference is that HAL gets out to Sitka on its RT from Seattle. For a repeat cruiser that might be important but most first timers will still want to hit Skagway. Biggest difference is size of ship and again how that impacts each cruiser is different My DW actually felt that the HAL was to small with less going on during sea days, for others the Princess ships are too big. Do not think you could go wrong either way as both will get yo to Alaska

You'll be fine with either.

Really don't think you'll have that much of a problem with HAL just because smoking is allowed on verandas.

Not mentioned but Coral Princess would be our favorite for Alaska. ;)

for us , all other things being equal HAL Loses because they permit smoking on balconies.

I have done both to Alaska and feel HAL's shore excursions gave us a better "Alaskan flavor." We did several that included learning about Native Tribal culture and foods. It seemed like on Princess they were the usual river rafting, zip lining, sightseeing tours offered, but it was many years earlier. On our last trip into Glacier Bay we were in the dining room at dusk and the captain came on the announcement speaker and said "don't be alarmed but we are turning the ship around. Look out the port side of the ship and you'll see 7 or 8 bears eating a carcass of a whale along the shoreline." Not certain another cruise line would have done that, but the experience was amazing, once in a lifetime.

Too bad because balcony smoking isn't a big factor.

To you, maybe not, but to others maybe. I just lost a third of my left lung to lung cancer and I can tell you with a great deal of certainty that if we did choose HAL it wouldn't be on a balcony because of their policy, which means we wouldn't be choosing HAL since DW only wants to sail in balconies.