What's the price/pecking order on upscale/luxury lines?

LMaxwell

Trying to get a grasp of demographics / price points. Which is considered the entry level luxury line, which are top flight. Surely there are differences, trying to find out what they are. Just as there are differences between Carnival and Princess in the mass market field.

I might have missed it when I read through it, but I am looking to find out what might be considered above Princess and Celebrity. We've done mass market (not yet HAL though) and want to see what's right above so that I can see whether there is a big jump in price point.

Get a grip! Compare HOW??? Even an overall comparison is impossible if you're weighing criteria differently than I am. As others have said: you really need to try a few lines to determine what is most important to YOU and how the lines then compare. If you can't afford that, at least peruse the CC threads line by line to determine which. "culture" appears to you the most.

That was the purpose of this thread. Really no different than asking what is the order of the mass market lines. At the prices the upscale lines charge it would be nice to hear some people opinions of them first. Good idea to check the various forums. I thought I'd get a friendly response here.

I might have missed it when I read through it, but I am looking to find out what might be considered above Princess and Celebrity. We've done mass market (not yet HAL though) and want to see what's right above so that I can see whether there is a big jump in price point.

See post 50 (just above yours).

That was the purpose of this thread. Really no different than asking what is the order of the mass market lines. At the prices the upscale lines charge it would be nice to hear some people opinions of them first. Good idea to check the various forums. I thought I'd get a friendly response here.

OK: here you go -

best food and best value (quality and quantity of what you get for your hard earned dollars) = Oceania. No other premium or luxury line comes close in these respects.

OK: here you go -

best food and best value (quality and quantity of what you get for your hard earned dollars) = Oceania. No other premium or luxury line comes close in these respects.

As was said earlier, value is different things to different people.

I sailed O and found neither good service nor value. The food was o.k., but not at all "the best food at sea".

It's all subjective based on our own experiences ;)

Oh, there will be lots of opinions on the upscale lines, but that's not what the original post asked for.......if someone were to give you a ranking, they would have to have traveled on all of them, and I bet there are few people like that. For instance, I can give you my opinion on Crystal, but I can't compare it to Regent or Silver Sea because I haven't traveled on them.

If you want to step up a price point from the mass-market lines, try a premium line like Azamara or Oceania. However honestly, I think the prices between them and some of the luxury lines are not that different, at least on some voyages. There may also be some differences in the demographics, but that will be as much about time as cost and cruise line. The longer the voyage, the more expensive the voyage, the older the demographics will be. That's because typically it's retired people who have more time and money to cruise on longer more expensive voyages.

Itinerary and timing are most important to me. I prefer smaller ships such as Oceania, a good size cabin, good food and wine and a gym is very important. On a longer cruise I will opt for a suite for the space and quiet time during sea days. If the cruise is very port intensive, the cabin size is not that important because we will be out touring most of the time.

I do not like fixed dining times and enjoy being able to dine when we want and where we want. Flexibility is the key here.

Seadream is best for us in the Caribbean. Oceania is overall favorite (Luxury Lite) and we will choose Celebrity if their itinerary and timing work in their favor. Due to size of X ships, we prefer a suite with the amenities they provide and it makes it all inclusive.

Luxury is in the eye of the beholder and we have enjoyed all of our cruises.

One also needs to consider the size ships within, what I call, the ultra luxury segment. For example, Crystal offers many of the benefits of an ultra luxury line with the larger ships one might expect in a Premium line. Lines like Sea Dream, Silverseas, and Seabourn operate much smaller ships (some will refer to them as large yachts) in the ultra luxury segment, Viking is a question mark as it is hard to decide where it fits into the traditional spectrum. From reports we have seen we are starting to think they have carved out their own class of cruising with more emphasis on the touring aspects and a little less in the onboard luxury elements. As to Oceania and Azamara, they are more alike then not...and perhaps should be classed as a few steps below ultra-luxury. We have long argued that the old R-ships (in both the Azamara and Oceania fleets) just do not rise to the ultra-luxury class. These ships were designed for Renaissance which was a small ship mass market line. Calling a ship, ultra luxury, when cabin sizes are small...just does not fit.

And you also have, what we call the hybrid lines. For example, the Queen Mary 2 is a mass market ship...but for those who cruise in the larger "grill" cabins......it is an ultra luxury line where they have their own elegant dining room, private sun deck, etc. Even NCL, offers something approaching luxury with their Haven Suites (and private sun deck) but no way does their food rise to that level.

Hank

No one mentioned Disney which is a premium line, highly reflected in their pricing. Celebrity is an RCCL line that is a step above Princess and RCCL and two steps above NCL and three steps above Carnival. Luxury is subjective by the person sailing. Some lines, Crystal is one, include all wine and liquor, soda, coffee, etc., shore excursions, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We think Disney is a one of a kind Premium line. As to Celebrity, recent changes and cut-backs make them a questionable "Premium Line" and we now think of them as just one more mass market line. It seems as though Celebrities CEO has dedicated her life to knocking Celebrity back to a less premium product and premium plus prices. Great for the bottom line until more passengers catch-on....after which they will likely try to undo many of the negative changes. Our recent cruises, in the past 2 years, on both Princess and Celebrity now cause us to rate Princess as a more Premium line then Celebrity.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

As was said earlier, value is different things to different people.

I sailed O and found neither good service nor value. The food was o.k., but not at all "the best food at sea".

It's all subjective based on our own experiences ;)

Of course, much of it is subjective. But even after hearing from many folks about the almost impossibility of ranking lines without clear and weighted criteria (vs a generic popularity poll), OP pressed the issue. So, I gave OP an answer based on my preferences and experiences.

As the satin goes: "YRMV (your results may vary)."

One also needs to consider the size ships within, what I call, the ultra luxury segment. For example, Crystal offers many of the benefits of an ultra luxury line with the larger ships one might expect in a Premium line. Lines like Sea Dream, Silverseas, and Seabourn operate much smaller ships (some will refer to them as large yachts) in the ultra luxury segment, Viking is a question mark as it is hard to decide where it fits into the traditional spectrum. From reports we have seen we are starting to think they have carved out their own class of cruising with more emphasis on the touring aspects and a little less in the onboard luxury elements. As to Oceania and Azamara, they are more alike then not...and perhaps should be classed as a few steps below ultra-luxury. We have long argued that the old R-ships (in both the Azamara and Oceania fleets) just do not rise to the ultra-luxury class. These ships were designed for Renaissance which was a small ship mass market line. Calling a ship, ultra luxury, when cabin sizes are small...just does not fit.

And you also have, what we call the hybrid lines. For example, the Queen Mary 2 is a mass market ship...but for those who cruise in the larger "grill" cabins......it is an ultra luxury line where they have their own elegant dining room, private sun deck, etc. Even NCL, offers something approaching luxury with their Haven Suites (and private sun deck) but no way does their food rise to that level.

Hank

Someday, we'll get you to try Oceania. Since you are a Princess fan, it would be interesting to get your reaction to the recent multi-million dollar transformation of a former Princess R ship into O's newest - Sirena.

Perhaps the two larger "O" ships (Marina and Riviera) would better suit your cabin size concerns. We like both the R and O ships. As sloop sailors who have also done cat charters, cabin amenities are far more important to us than square footage.

As for "ultra-luxury," O has never claimed to be anything more than "your world your way."

FYI - take a look at some of the Oceania itineraries for South America at the end of this year. With the usual included airfare or air credit (plus other regular perks) and an inclusive offer of ALL the O Life items (i.e., alcohol, excursions AND extra OBC [beyond what TA provides]), travel reviewers like Conde Nast are calling it one of the best cruise deals of the year.

Someday, we'll get you to try Oceania. Since you are a Princess fan, it would be interesting to get your reaction to the recent multi-million dollar transformation of a former Princess R ship into O's newest - Sirena.

Perhaps the two larger "O" ships (Marina and Riviera) would better suit your cabin size concerns. We like both the R and O ships. As sloop sailors who have also done cat charters, cabin amenities are far more important to us than square footage.

As for "ultra-luxury," O has never claimed to be anything more than "your world your way."

FYI - take a look at some of the Oceania itineraries for South America at the end of this year. With the usual included airfare or air credit (plus other regular perks) and an inclusive offer of ALL the O Life items (i.e., alcohol, excursions AND extra OBC [beyond what TA provides]), travel reviewers like Conde Nast are calling it one of the best cruise deals of the year.

I am on O Insignia for mid October South America cruise..Lima to BA with pre cruise to Machu Picchu. Switched to the OS due to length of time and very much looking forward to this special cruise. Plenty of great ports, penguins, and fjords.

We would cruise on Oceania in a heartbeat, if and when they have the itinerary and price-point we like :). Unfortunately, that never seems to happen...but we are always looking. The issue with their cabin size is not an issue with us...except we consider O a premium main stream cruise line....not one in the ultra luxury class. We have cruised on the R ships when they were operated by Renaissance...and we have also been on the Azamara Journey (one of the old R ships). We do love the ship design....but those vessels were not designed as luxury ships....and calling them such does a disservice to the true luxury vessels.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We would cruise on Oceania in a heartbeat, if and when they have the itinerary and price-point we like :). Unfortunately, that never seems to happen...but we are always looking. The issue with their cabin size is not an issue with us...except we consider O a premium main stream cruise line....not one in the ultra luxury class. We have cruised on the R ships when they were operated by Renaissance...and we have also been on the Azamara Journey (one of the old R ships). We do love the ship design....but those vessels were not designed as luxury ships....and calling them such does a disservice to the true luxury vessels.

Hank

We're fortunate to have found a perfect fit for us in O for which we are willing to pay a bit more. But, cruise lines are like shoe sizes...and they are not all one size fits all. O just hits all the things we value...port intensive, not all inclusive (DH doesn't drink much and included shore excursions are not something we value), great open dining in uncrowded dining rooms, a high level of service and great buffet with outside seating. We're happy with piano or a string quartet, for pre dinner entertainment, in a lounge. And, whether just luck, we've always booked an inside and never sailed lower than concierge, with no or minor upgrade payments.

If someone's "shoe size" means big lounge shows, a promenade deck or all inclusive drinks to the point where you don't have to show a cruise card...look elsewhere.

That said, the new O life means we get more OBC than we can use (drink package doesn't work for us and we'd rather have our fingernails pulled out than take a large bus excursion that is more than transportation only). DH has a new sweater and I have a new purse compliments of "use it or lose it" OBC. There's a limit how much we're willing to do that.

We do love the ship design....but those vessels were not designed as luxury ships....and calling them such does a disservice to the true luxury vessels.

Hank

seems TA's & travel sites marketed them as Luxury

Oceania never has said they are a luxury line

Some of the cruise lines mentioned are also a bit different than a "regular" cruise ship. e.g. Windstar is a giant sailboat, very informal, about 150 people on board. I've been on it, and it's "luxury" for that type of ship, but I personally prefer "regular" cruise ships which have more entertainment and choices.

Also, my understanding (but I might be wrong) is that Viking is a "river cruise" ship, which is also very different (but haven't done it myself, so can't say much more about that, than "Uniworld" is supposed to be a higher-level river cruise.

Also, some lines are less formal than others. e.g. Azamara is indeed premium, but no formal attire is expected or encouraged, so it's great if you want a little luxury/pampering, but don't feel like bringing extra clothes for formal nights. Bottom line, as others said, is to do your homework and find a fit for your particular tastes.

Hope this helps.

Also, my understanding (but I might be wrong) is that Viking is a "river cruise" ship,

They also have Ocean going ships

Windstar are not just sailing ships now

Edited by LHT28

See post 50 (just above yours).

I know... but it's just hard to know which few to look into. Even though it's subjective, it helps to know that "the next price point up will be these 5." I'll re-read other posts.

Above Princess & X I would say Oceania, Azamara & Viking Oceans would be the next step up

then you are into the Luxury lines after that

I think HAL might be on the same level as Princess in my experience with them

Edited by LHT28

OP didn't put them in the premium category. Most times it pays to a actually read a question before firing off a response.:rolleyes:

The response was not to OP but to post #4 which DID put HAL and Celebrity in Premium category.

Regarding Viking, we saw (in a few ports) one of their new ships while in Europe in April. The Viking Ocean ship looked gorgeous. We figure that line is a good fit for those willing to pay a bit more for a line that includes excursions in every port (similar to their River boat policy). Since our personal style is to generally avoid all excursions in favor of doing our own thing (especially in Europe) we would not have a reason to pay extra to have excursions. But we are intrigued enough by the line to give it a try if we happen on a decent deal. I should mention that we have done a 14 day European river cruise on Viking...and thought the experience excellent! When we are too old (or sick) to do our own thing....we would quickly go back and do some more river cruises.

Hank

Luxury lines include:

Crystal

Seabourn

Silversea

Regent

Sea Dream

Europa (Europa and Europa 2)

Sea Cloud

Typically they offer fine dining experiences, a higher ratio of crew to guests, more space per person, and include items that often one has to pay extra on other lines.

Premium is often less straight forward as to me there is a wider different in the experience provided by various lines that are placed in this category. I would say that on some of the lines that are categorized as premium that some of their attributed fall into the luxury category but there are other lines that some of their offerings fall in the resort category of cruising.

Some (there are a few more in addition to this list) of the premium lines that come to mind are.

Oceania

Azamara

Cunard

Viking

Winstar

Celebrity

HAL

Keith

Celebrity, HAL,and Cunard outside of the Grills don't belong in the same category as Oceania, Azamara, and Windstar. Not even close.

Celebrity, HAL,and Cunard outside of the Grills don't belong in the same category as Oceania, Azamara, and Windstar. Not even close.

Having sailed both Celebrity and HAL, I agree they are not close to Oceania or Windstar (also sailed both of these lines, and both the Wind Surf with sails and Star Pride, one of triplets acquired from Seabourn.)

I'm wondering, for those of you who are ranking lines, and didn't say whether or not you've been on them, on how many of those lines have you actually cruised?

That question inspired me to go back and check. Since 1999, we have cruised on:

AmaWaterways

Celebrity

Crystal

Holland America

Marco Polo

Oceania

Princess

Regent

Royal Caribbean

Seabourn

Silversea

Windstar

Some are one offs, we have more cruises on Crystal, Silversea, and Seabourn than the others. The lines between luxury and premium can be a bit fuzzy because there are no definitive and authoritative criteria. Like Justice Potter in his famous concurrence, "I know it when I see it."