Passport ?

SiBreeze

Is a passport required for a round trip cruise leaving from NY to Canada? Thanks :)

No required but highly recommended. If you miss the ship and the next port is in the US. Flights require passports.

Canada doesn't require a passport from US Citizens . The US requires a passport to re enter from Canada.

From Customs and Border patrol website

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Is a passport required for a round trip cruise leaving from NY to Canada? Thanks :)

One can get a less expensive Passport Card through US government, UNLESS

you would be flying in or out of Canada or any other country then you would need a Passport Book. The official passport card is the size of your drivers license. :)

The passport card is good only for a land border crossing between the US and Canada or Mexico. Unless that is something you do, it is virtually worthless. It is not good for air travel or ship travel that requires a passport.

If you intend to travel more, spend the money and get a real passport. Otherwise, save your money and use a certified birth certificate. Should an emergency occur which requires a passport, there are provisions for obtaining an emergency passport from a consulate or embassy in the area you are visiting. Yes, it is more hassle at an already stressed time, but it can be done.

My real recommendation--get a passport. It will cover your travel for 10 years.

Passport not necessary for closed loops cruises, but in case of emergencies it's a big advantage to have one. I don't quite understand ones reluctance to get a passport. They possibly figure they will never use it but that one time, but it's good for 10 years and who knows what kind of marvelous adventure might come up when you will definitely need it.

We're sailing RT from Seattle on an Alaska cruise next month, which does not require a passport (US citizen) but instead allows a certified birth certificate with a state-issued ID (drivers license). We booked the cruise knowing that my passport was expired and I might not receive my new one in time, and were okay with that but I went ahead and applied for a passport renewal because I agree with most everyone on this thread - they are good to have and I would have done it earlier had I realized mine had expired. At the time I sent in my application, it was estimated that standard turnaround was 4-6 weeks, door to door. I decided not to expedite it or pay extra for overnight shipping. I did send my application by priority mail. I just got my new passport today - and it was unbelievably fast! I sent my application a week and six days ago. If you are hesitant to apply because you don't think it will come in time for your cruise, it just might, and if it doesn't and you use your birth cert and ID instead, at least you'll have the passport for your next cruise.

Does anyone know if Princess requires a passport for a closed loop cruise. I ask this as I have read that Celebrity requires a passport for a closed loop Alaskan cruise out of Seattle.

Princess requires a passport only in the following circumstances per the cruise contract.

"PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE ("WHTI") (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, MEXICO, UNITED STATES)"

"When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Carrier requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport. Carrier has implemented this requirement so that Your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. Carrier cannot guarantee that all members of Your party will be allowed to disembark with only a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate."

Edited by caribill

The US Passport Card DOES work on cruises that visit Canada and/or Mexico from US ports. We've used ours on 6 or 7 cruises out of LA. And it does make land based visits easier which makes it worth it to us since we will visit Algodones and TJ often enough.

PS we do also carry our passport books on cruies - just in case - but the card is easier to carry and present .

Edited by Ferd Berfle

Does any know if Princess requires a passport for a closed loop cruise. I ask this as I have read that Celebrity requires a passport for a closed loop Alaskan cruise out of Seattle.

According to Celebrity's website, they do not require a passport for a closed loop Alaskan cruise for a US citizen; the allow the same WHTI exemptions as the other mainstream lines.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#domesticSailings

Edited by cherylandtk

The US Passport Card DOES work on cruises that visit Canada and/or Mexico from US ports. We've used ours on 6 or 7 cruises out of LA. And it does make land based visits easier which makes it worth it to us since we will visit Algodones and TJ often enough.

PS we do also carry our passport books on cruies - just in case - but the card is easier to carry and present .

It depends on your definition of "work." Yes, it serves as proof of citizenship and identification. A certified birth certificate and driver's license will do that. It will not get you back into the US by plane if for any reason you are unable to return on your closed loop cruise.

It does not replace a passport in an emergency situation. But as you noted, it is easier to present than the two documents that it is standing in stead of.

I guess if you were a married female you would have to produce a marriage license in addition to the birth certificate and drivers license.

I've convinced my travel companion to get a passport. :D

Thanks everyone for all your input.

I guess if you were a married female you would have to produce a marriage license in addition to the birth certificate and drivers license.

I've convinced my travel companion to get a passport. :D

Thanks everyone for all your input.

No, a marriage license is not required by any line I'm familiar with. The requirement is a certified birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

Passports are easier and safer.

No' date=' a marriage license is not required by any line I'm familiar with. The requirement is a certified birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

Passports are easier and safer.[/quote']

If your birth certificate says "Mary Jones" but your drivers license says "Mary Smith" how could you account for the name change unless you had a marriage certificate to verify the change. You could get anyone's birth certificate who's first name was Mary and use that. :confused:

No' date=' a marriage license is not required by any line I'm familiar with. The requirement is a certified birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

Passports are easier and safer.[/quote']

I was once held in the international terminal of our local airport while DH raced down to our bank's safety deposit box for our marriage certificate to prove my name change. It was a four hour wait...luckily it was during business hours and our bank was open.

We applied for our passports the next day.

t.

No. ONLY if you were married with a name change and didn't update your i.d.'s. Lots of brides need to carry that birth certificate along with passport and drivers license when honeymooning shortly after the ceremony. They need to do the name change after the fact.

Just because I am married doesn't mean I need to carry a birth certificate.;)

This is a recording...

No, a passport is not required for a closed loop cruise (start and end at same US port). A Birth certificate with raised seal and drivers license meet the US government requirements. Most cruise lines follow the US rules with the notable exception of single adults traveling with minors.

In the event of an emergency wherein you need to disembark the ship outside the US, you will NOT be able to fly home without a passport. From Canada or Mexico a passport card can be used for land and sea travel only. This may result in significant delays in returning to the US. In addition, documents other than passports may be subject to additional scrutiny at immigration as they cannot be electronically verified.

A passport card IS sufficient for round trip sea travel within the hemisphere (closed or open loop). You cannot use one for a transatlantic for example or world cruise.

It is STRONGLY recommended by the US Department of State to carry a Passport whenever leaving the United States.

I added this to my Princess FAQ as well.

Some say no I say don't leave home without it. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have. I know I have read this before. :)

Tony

I agree with Tony, if you had asked me personally I would have told you "YES". and for the same reason as Tony "Better safe then sorry":D. Its not like you have to pay for it every time so if you travel a lot just get it. I believe it good for 10yrs and if not Its 5.

I agree with Tony, if you had asked me personally I would have told you "YES". and for the same reason as Tony "Better safe then sorry":D. Its not like you have to pay for it every time so if you travel a lot just get it. I believe it good for 10yrs and if not Its 5.

Passport is 10 years.