Does the steakhouse book up pre-cruise?

I wouldn't think you need to book in advance. If they're really busy on the evening you choose to go, you may have to settle for an alternative seating time as your desired seating could possibly be booked full.

If you want a specific time, you should book in advance. We booked a few weeks in advance, and have FTTF which is supposed togive us preferred reservations, and we still couldn't get our preferred reservation time on one of the nights.

Of course I can only share my personal experience and I'm sure it can vary quite a bit, but we have never booked in advance and have always been able to get the day and time we want. On our most recent cruise (on Sunshine) we booked the day before for an 8:00 reservation. Showed up 20 minutes early prepared to be told to come back, but instead were told "no problem, we can seat you now" and were lead to our table in an almost empty steakhouse that never reached more than 40-50% capacity.

I agree that you don't have to book in advance.

There is always someone hanging around on deck with samples of the meat you will find in the steak house so that folks will make reservations.

Take your time and decide when you are on board.

I booked for the first night months in advance. I like that you dont have to pay for it up front like with Royal. You may not HAVE to book in advance but we tried to go back two different nights and the hostess told us they were full for all time slots. Nothing available.

Edited by ryano

I always reserve ahead for the first night of the cruise. I will go to the steakhouse another night during the cruise but that one I reserve during the week.

This always works for me except one time the steakhouse was booked for the remainder of the cruise so i could not get my second meal in the steakhouse. That cruise had a convention group on it. They were the passengers that booked the steakhouse for the entire week.

If you have a specific day you want to dine in the steakhouse (birthday, anniversary) then I would recommend reserving ahead. You never know for some reason they may be booked up.

DH and I always book months in advance because we want the first night at a specific time. Always busy that night, so glad we do. I suppose if you don't care when you go, you could wait until embarkation day.

Is it necessary/recommended to make a reservation online ahead of time for the steakhouse? We haven't totally decided to do it, and I'm wondering if we need to have this decided ahead of time or can be more spur of the moment about it?

We book it the day we decide to eat there based on many factors. They're not as popular on Carnival as you may think, but there will be times based on choices that you might not be able to make a reservation. The constant display of meats that offend some are an indication of how sold out the place is.

When we have eaten there, only a couple of other tables have been occupied, but we are early eaters.

When they drop the first and second day free wine promotions, that will be the indicator that demand is reaching supply.

Edited by Je Souhaite

I always reserve the first night in the Steakhouse - just our favorite way to start our cruise. I know the first night fills up quickly. However, if you do not really have a day or time preference, then you can pretty much always make a reservation once on the ship.

However, if you have a large party then I would make a reservation no matter what day you are going!

Thanks so much for the feedback, all. :)

We don't have a specific occasion or time that we want to go. Rather, I'm just thinking it might be something to treat ourselves to at some point. Ideally, I'd like to wait until we're on board to decide after we've seen how our son does with the kids program. I'm assuming that the steakhouse experience is a rather drawn out evening of dining, yes? Theoretically, The Boy (7yo when we sail) *could* go with us and would loooove the food, but I'm imagining it as possibly being too long for him to join us?

I have done the steakhouse about 12 - 14 times and only made reservations on 2 or 3 of those occasions. Those have been to celebrate an anniversary, birthday or if there was more than just my wife and I.

If you are a little flexible you can get a table on just about any night you want.

I've done walk-ups on a number of occasions and always received a table. The earlier the better for walk-ups.

Take care,

Mike

We don't have a specific occasion or time that we want to go. Rather, I'm just thinking it might be something to treat ourselves to at some point. Ideally, I'd like to wait until we're on board to decide after we've seen how our son does with the kids program. I'm assuming that the steakhouse experience is a rather drawn out evening of dining, yes? Theoretically, The Boy (7yo when we sail) *could* go with us and would loooove the food, but I'm imagining it as possibly being too long for him to join us?

We took our then 6 year old when it was still a supper club. Imagined having to get up for strolls or dancing in between courses to occupy the time, but it was never needed. plenty of between course visits with samples, great food (she stole my dessert).

There was nothing drawn out about it, and was actually only 30 minutes longer than our normal dinners in the MDR.

But obviously, YOU know your child. Go with your best instinct.

Dinner at steakhouse can take 2 1/2 hours so you need to decide if your son would want to sit there that long.

Very often we decide whether to go after we meet our tablemates. Very often we really enjoy having dinner with them so we dont want to miss a night.

We book it the day we decide to eat there based on many factors. They're not as popular on Carnival as you may think, but there will be times based on choices that you might not be able to make a reservation. The constant display of meats that offend some are an indication of how sold out the place is.

When we have eaten there, only a couple of other tables have been occupied, but we are early eaters.

When they drop the first and second day free wine promotions, that will be the indicator that demand is reaching supply.

True. They only give away wine (which probably costs them about 4 bucks a bottle in an attempt to fill up the steakhouse.

We ate at the steakhouse on the Magic a few weeks ago. We made our reservation once we got on the ship. There were plenty of times to choose from and it wasn't full when we ate there. We were a group of 10 and it didn't take a long time to eat at all. My kids were perfectly fine. They enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We ate at the steakhouse on the Magic a few weeks ago. We made our reservation once we got on the ship. There were plenty of times to choose from and it wasn't full when we ate there. We were a group of 10 and it didn't take a long time to eat at all. My kids were perfectly fine. They enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they actually made the restaurant on this class ship SMALLER than the other ships.

• 2 weeks later...
Where do you make the reservation once on board.

Thanks

I'm going with....at the steakhouse.

Early on, on most cruises I've been on, especially embarkation day, they have a portable table setup somewhere on the ship..atrium or main lobby usually during boarding, but can be other areas on ship. The table is for the steakhouse with displays of whats served and reps who can take reservations.

If I want a particular time or day for my reservation, I will use the email link in my activities to contact the Steakhouse. I usually find a response in my inbox within 24 - 48 hours.

However, on most cruises, I do see the steakhouse meat assortment displayed somewhere on deck 5 with an attendant able to make bookings.

Sometimes the Steakhouse is booked solid for certain times, like 6 or 8 pm and only later slots remain.