Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Am I the only one who is thinking this is kind of odd. When NCL announced the no food back to the cabins and other changes, there were articles, etc. about it, but with this there is no press release, no articles, etc. Possibly they are just throwing this all out to get responses not only from the cruising public in general, but those on upcoming cruises and that could be why there is the two week window before it starts. Just a thought!

They have a no food back go the cabin rule too? Holy cow, definitely not the cruise for us.

Am I the only one who is thinking this is kind of odd. When NCL announced the no food back to the cabins and other changes, there were articles, etc. about it, but with this there is no press release, no articles, etc. Possibly they are just throwing this all out to get responses not only from the cruising public in general, but those on upcoming cruises and that could be why there is the two week window before it starts. Just a thought!

I was thinking it had to do with the timing of this one. It was the start of a major Holiday Weekend here in the U.S.; therefore, lots of people already were away yesterday. I have wondered if they did it to get the initial "reactions" to die down before the regular back-to-work starts on Tuesday?

I just went to the NCL site to check out the soda package. I saw the disclaimer stating everyone in the cabin has to purchase, but I was given the option to 'uncheck' the hubs and only put one in the cart.

So, help me understand- the soda package DOES or DOES NOT include canned sodas?

I am not happy about buying this package. I hate Pepsi products, the only one I can tolerate is Mountain Dew, and it makes me so thirsty! :mad:

My limited experience is it includes served sodas. I was only served by the glass or plastic cup, never can or bottle. It does not include self serve as from a minibar or vending machine.

I prefer Mtn Dew, but that doesn't keep me from booking Disney trips in Coke land. I go without for a few days. On vacation we want what we want but the soda companies best deals don't allow both Coke and Pepsi to coexist.

On NCL there are complimentary beverages besides water onboard and my teen nephew declined the soda package when I offered to buy it for him onboard. He just grabbed what he wanted from the dispensers in the buffet.

Onboard you can buy the soda package for 1 or more. Online has traditionally required the entire cabin to purchase.

Hope you find a way to enjoy your trip regardless of this change.

Edited by Nola26

I like the empty bottle idea. I use small ones so that they are light to carry in purse. It is going to be a pain to refill and remember to empty out if I did not drink. Hope they change this policy.

Oh come on I know there are Dads, hubbies and heavy lifters out there that went out in the garage and did a happy dance. Now they don't have to lift and lug that stuff.

For us one less packing decision for our Escape cruise.

I usually made a quick stop before getting to the port and packed a duffle bag with 24 cans of soda water and maybe a 6 pack of larger still water. It was never a burden compared to the suitcases. I more recently stopped with the bottles of still water (for me) and use a refillable bottle, it's a pain but I didn't like throwing away the plastic ones as I don't use them when I'm at home. My wife refuses to go without her carbonated water which I have a psyhcological problem paying $5.50 per 0.75 of a liter for. Include it in our UBP or make it reasonable for purchase and I will be happy for one thing less to pack. I feel sorry for those with strong drink preferences not offered on the ship, that is a very bad move on NCL's part.

I can't post a link as it's the employee site, but this is what it says there:

With the exception of food items for Guests with specific dietary restrictions, we do not permit Guests to bring food and beverage items into our theme parks. We request that all food and beverages brought to the parks by our visitors be left in the lockers located in the Picnic Area. Generally, however, small snacks and plastic bottles for water, juice, etc. are allowed. For safety reasons, please note that metal utensils and glass containers are not permitted in the theme parks.

California only. You most definitely can bring food and drinks into Disney, Orlando. Many families sit outside under the umbrellas and eat their picnic lunch, right next to those who have purchased lunch from Disney.

California only. You most definitely can bring food and drinks into Disney, Orlando. Many families sit outside under the umbrellas and eat their picnic lunch, right next to those who have purchased lunch from Disney.

Obviously not enforced but this was referring to both California and Orlando.

For medical reasons I gave up soda (soda, especially diet soda was my one and only drink).

I started drinking water with a slice of lemon or orange. Guess what? It tastes a lot better than soda, is more refreshing and 1,000,000 times healthier.

So, stop whining about "not being allowed to bring soda" for a week...and give water a try.

That does make some sense and I thought about it also. Or, the two weeks is just a cushion so they don't have thousands of people showing up at the port with drinks. Possible that they threw out this Draconian policy then will soften it so the new rule will be more passively accepted. I really hope a forthcoming change is true as I look forward to a more relaxed version being applied. One that would allow cans would be a lot better. I'm glad my final payment is a while off as I will be able to wait & see what happens. Unfortunately, it has caused me to put off booking flights, hotels, etc... until I feel better about it. Cannot decide if it will make me cancel as it is currently just one more annoying policy that has me a bit fed up with NCL.

Edited by Boschmann

For medical reasons I gave up soda (soda, especially diet soda was my one and only drink).

I started drinking water with a slice of lemon or orange. Guess what? It tastes a lot better than soda, is more refreshing and 1,000,000 times healthier.

So, stop whining about "not being allowed to bring soda" for a week...and give water a try.

Kudos to you for giving up soda. It's a hard one for a lot of people. However, you do realize most of the complaints aren't about soda right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't believe it took over 650 posts for this crap to come up.

I don't drink soda either. I don't carry water on board. Neither of these are the point. Look at the bigger picture, April. Open your eyes.

This is Del Rio's way of softly pushing out the "value" cruisers which NCL hates.

Already have booked and payed for my Next Cruise.

And My Last With Ncl.

Unfortunately for NCL's management, this seems to be annoying all sorts of cruisers who don't want to drink ship water -- for whatever reason -- or pay NCL's ridiculous prices for bottled or who don't want to drink Pepsi products. Those groups are not limited to just "value" cruisers.

Nothing is free on a ship...you paid for it. ;)

If our government can't regulate the prices of water sold on a ship how can you expect them to regulate the quality of the tap water?

How often are the tanks inspected?

Fairly often, it is part of the VSP process. Probably more often then the systems in the water bottling companies and the systems they pull water out of.

For details you can find the actual inspection process here

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/desc/about_inspections.htm

I wonder if NCL engineers actually worked out how much energy will be required to de-salinate and purify the additional quantity of water if people who used to bring bottled water / cans start to drink the tap water.

I have to agree with some of the previous comments about the ankle swelling. My first few cruises I only drank bottled water and nothing happened, when I started to save money I buy two bottles at the airport then fill from the tap and keep one in the fridge my ankles start swelling by about day 3!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pretty trivial, considering how much water they have to desalinate for other purposes such as showers, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. The extra drinking water won't even be a blip in their production requirements.

I have just read my way through this massive thread. I am cruising with NCL in October, my last time with NCL was in 2006, more recently I have cruised with RCI and Celebrity.

I understand that the changes are upsetting many people, myself included. I am livid. I like to drink water and we all know that we should drink quite a lot for health reasons. I do not like the tap water on board ship, it is nothing like bottled water, it has a taste. I had been planning to purchase bottled water before embarkation and in ports en route. Now I find my only option is to buy the over priced bottles on board, or drink the tap water which I will probably not enjoy enough to drink much of.

Many people have been mentioning that they think emails are only being sent out by NCL to inform cruisers after final payment has been made, but in the UK anyone deciding to cancel their cruise at any time would forfeit their deposit anyway, so it would be unlikely that anyone would cancel for this reason. I am still looking forward to a wonderful holiday - but hate that this change has been made.

If anyone from NCL can be bothered to read all the complaints on CC about this new initiative - please, please reconsider, or at least reduce the cost of the bottled water on board. I have loved the flexibility of the Celebrity beverage package and NCL is offering a far inferior package and calling it 'Ultimate' which it absolutely is not. :(

Can anyone please verify that the tap water onboard DOES contain chlorine and SALT as some have posted...?? For years (of NCL cruising) I have been trying to pin down the cause of my swelling issues . I had eliminated almost all salt from my food while cruising and that was not the answer...PS--onboard I do drink A LOT of "tap" water...so now I am really wondering...:confused:

They haven't said you can bring aboard empty bottles . I guess that's in the next edict .

Regardless I will be bringing a couple of empty bottles with me .

Last 2 cruises I took 2 empty bottles because I found schlepping a little too inconvenient. I hope they don't ban empties. :eek:

Last 2 cruises I took 2 empty bottles because I found schlepping a little too inconvenient. I hope they don't ban empties. :eek:

I bring a tervis tumbler with me. It's not good for day trips, but it's excellent for "around the ship". They last forever.

I'm going to stress this.....while I dont remove dsc......

I think right now the best way to show ncl that we are not happy is to order their water which I assume adds 18% to the cost.....

Then....and I'm serious about this.....get the form from guest services and follow the procedures to reduce dsc by the EXACT amount the water cost you

Yes I am all warm and fuzzy with the crew...etc etc....but doing this WILL get ncl to see our point

The crew will be fine ...ncl does pay them and we the warm and fuzzy cruisers give cash extra anyway.....

But by reducing dsc in the exact water cost amount.....and telling ncl why you are doing it...will work

IMHO...this water issue will go the way of the no food from the buffet issue

Stand strong...reduce dsc....ncl will not only be dealing with angry pax but with disgruntled crew as well

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

Ask for seltzer from the bar guns. If they even bother to charge, covered by the UBP if you have it, but in most cases, the bartenders haven't considered it a soda.

I usually made a quick stop before getting to the port and packed a duffle bag with 24 cans of soda water and maybe a 6 pack of larger still water. It was never a burden compared to the suitcases. I more recently stopped with the bottles of still water (for me) and use a refillable bottle, it's a pain but I didn't like throwing away the plastic ones as I don't use them when I'm at home. My wife refuses to go without her carbonated water which I have a psyhcological problem paying $5.50 per 0.75 of a liter for. Include it in our UBP or make it reasonable for purchase and I will be happy for one thing less to pack. I feel sorry for those with strong drink preferences not offered on the ship, that is a very bad move on NCL's part.

No significant sodium is in ship water as long as the system is maintained properly. A trace amount of chlorine is added, the same with most municipal tap systems.

The main causes of swelling on ships is a combination of diet and changes in activity and climate. Unless you skip all the soups, stews and sauces you are probably getting more salt on board then at home.

There is also something called Heat Edema, which is swelling due to a salt imbalance, which can be aggravated by alcohol consumption.

Let's see how many more times this needs to be posted...

Can anyone please verify that the tap water onboard DOES contain chlorine and SALT as some have posted...?? For years (of NCL cruising) I have been trying to pin down the cause of my swelling issues . I had eliminated almost all salt from my food while cruising and that was not the answer...PS--onboard I do drink A LOT of "tap" water...so now I am really wondering...:confused:

It'll be about 20 yrs since we last cruised NCL so a lot of this info is new to me. So NCL has a policy that you are not allowed to bring food back to the cabin at all ?? What were the other changes ?