Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

I keep reading about this UBP being gratis or a perk, and that most people have it. However, it would cost me £900 ($1165) total extra if I wanted this for my wife and I.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

You are from the UK - you must surely have a free drinks package? Its been out now for nearly two years? Free perk and there is no 18% to add on if booked in UK?

How will it cost you £900?

That 18% is a freakin' joke! What ever happened with the $1.00 tip per drink? And the charge slip has the nerve to list a line for an "Additional Tip." Are you kidden me? Lol. If the bartenders were on the ball, prompt, and made really good drinks, "Maybe" an additional tip is deserved. Being a former bartender for many years, I've not yet seen one bartender on a cruise ship worth my while.. They all suck and are super slow!

If you actually read what I was referring to, which was Iggledoer's post about not bringing meds on, which both were saying tongue in cheek, maybe you would have gotten it.

There was absolutely no reason to bring the drinks/bartenders back into it

Other cruise lines give the beverage packages for free.

When cruise lines began offering packages' date=' I haven't spend a dime.

Perk that always gets my attention.

Only on NCL Free Perk doesn't mean Free :cool: I was shocked when I had to pay for the gratuities. Even so, not a bad deal.

NCL should follow all the other cruise lines and charge less, include the gratuities, all the extras, water, juice, coffee, premium liquors, etc.

That would make cruisers happy cruisers. ;)[/quote']

NCL is not going to stop charging gratuities on the UBP perk AND add water bottles, canned soda, specialty coffees. For whatever reason it's the pricing structure of the UBP perk to have the service fees paid by the customer. They do offer to all room categories and so at $15/day it's really not a bad deal if you drink enough alcohol to cover the plan. I have no problem with it and feel they should be trying to get as much as they can for alcohol.

What I do have a problem with is that it is built into the suite fare. If you Don't drink it's pretty much a waste of a perk. To know you are paying for a higher fare and don't get many of the non alcoholic drinks included is madding.

Champions previously said that you can just bring your own water and soda cans on board and problem solved. Well that is not the case any longer. So now that suite guest who does not drink has the package built into their fare AND has to pay for many of their non alcoholic drinks.

I have been in a Haven suite and given a bottle of wine. Asked to trade it for a bottle of water and told no. It's that kind of stuff when you are paying top dollar that makes you think something is whack. Tell me I can have a specialty coffee only if I can take it with a shot of alcohol. No alcohol then you pay.

So if not in a suite you are presumably paying a much lower fare. If I am not in a suite and my cabin mate wants the drink package, we take it and pay the $15 pp pd. So now the non drinker pays the daily fee AND potentially pay for every beverage they consume just because they want it without a shot of whatever, or don't want soda from a gun or water from the bathroom faucet. Give me a break. It just makes no sense.

Since we know that NCL beverage package is the highest priced and least inclusive we can assume most are taking it because it was a perk and few are paying the $100/day. NCL wants to make more $ on drinks and so has banned water and soda cans because they want to make sure you are purchasing from them. I have no problem with that either. Why not just add the extra $ they want per day to the UBP perk and then we can pay for the perk choice fees or drink the bathroom sink water. I mean even for a moderate drinker to pay only $20/day for a beverage package that includes coffees, soda cans and water bottles, it's really not much. As a non drinker I would pay $20/day for the package and be done with it.

The alternative is to keep these beverages out of the Unlimited drinks package, which btw is a pretty misleading statement considering how limited it is, charge you 1000% markup for everything you drink outside the package and potentially have a non alcohol bill of the price of your cruise. That equals a bad taste in customers mouth and would make A LOT of cruisers run to a different line. Forget the Coke/Pepsi debate at that point because with the loss of customers they'll probably have to switch to a Safeway Select contract.

Just checked my Royal reservation.

First of all, all of their drink packages do NOT include water.

Second-12 bottles Evian is 47.20 when purchased before cruise. This includes the 18% gratuity. That is the same that I would pay on NCL for the same sized bottles.

Unless you are considering Princess or Carnival you will pay a lot for bottled water. Those who keep including RCL with the"reasonable " priced beverage lines need to look at their prices first. Incidentally, a 5 night to Bahamas in an OS on RCL is the same price as the 7 nights in an H5 on Breakaway. Royal doesn't include the drinks or specialty meals , except for concierge lounge and its 3 hour cocktail time. And the Diamond lounge.

Our last Royal cruise in March included bottled water with the premium package.

I think they will end up lowering the price of the bottled water. I hope they will anyway. It really is way overpriced.

From what has been posted her it looks like NCL considers RCCL to be their primary competition and have modeled their policy and water prices to match them. Since Royal prices are similar and since they have a similar written policy I would not expect them to drop their water prices.

:eek::eek:

Good grief - the measures people will take! Unbelievable!

Personally I am for NCL - they are a business not a charity - at the end of the day the profit made from the drinks revenue keeps cruising affordable.

I will - on cruiselines which allow it - ie Celebrity - board with two bottles of a decent champagne such as Bollinger bought from duty free at the airport - to drink in our cabin - but have never ever ever stooped to a low of bringing on waters, sodas and "smuggled" alcohol. I always have a drinks package on every cruiseline I cruise with - whether its a perk or purchased, always an essential.

I run a business which includes an outdoor dining facility in a beautiful setting, it wont be the first time and wont be the last that I chase folks away for bringing their own picnic! OR - one of them buys a drink - five of them sit down and out comes the water and sodas from their backpacks.. NOPE - not happening - I want that table for the five paying guests - I suspect NCL feel the same way.

I also suspect that with this, you will soon see specials run on the dailies on packs of water.

NCL prices are amazing - even for us in the UK who often pay higher prices although our perks include grats.

I have done 2 x NCL and 2 x Celebrity - all with flights, over the last eighteen months - NCL pricing is WOW! Value for money incredible!

Of course on Celebrity, water is included in the package - but hey - can assure you my Celebrity cruises cost a LOT more than those with NCL.

I just cannot fathom why on earth they would have allowed free carryon of waters and sodas in the first place - (unless perhaps there is a genuine medical reason which I understand, they are still allowing for.).

Good for you NCL - thanks for giving us choices - Affordable cruising with plenty free options - and other options available to add on for those of us who wish to do so.

I will add (for those who are jumping ship) that - although I love Celebrity, I missed NCL's live music bars - and missed the fantastic SPAs - (Epic's SPA V Celebrity Persian Gardens - EPIC wins leagues and leagues above!).

There are pluses and minuses in everything - you just have to weigh up your options and choose what is right for you.

You might jump ship - but the water is not always blue'er (or cheaper!) - there is always a price to pay!

Outstanding post!! I just today sent an email off to Mr. Stewart, voicing my support for the new policy. I think the angst over all this is much ado over nothing. There are many alternative hydration methods, as well as cruise lines that have more palatable beverage policies. If this was ever a deal breaker for me (which it never would be), I would seek alternatives not rant on for days and days.

If NCL views RCCL as their primary competition and is going to model their policy regarding bringing beverages on board and prices for purchase of individual bottles and packages of bottles after RCCL, then they should ALSO match RCCL and expand their "top tier" beverage package to include bottled water, specialty coffee and fresh juices. And RCCL charges $79 for that package, so there's NCL's price point. ;)

Outstanding post!! I just today sent an email off to Mr. Stewart, voicing my support for the new policy. I think the angst over all this is much ado over nothing. There are many alternative hydration methods, as well as cruise lines that have more palatable beverage policies. If this was ever a deal breaker for me (which it never would be), I would seek alternatives not rant on for days and days.
Good job ! I hope you also sent a letter of congratulations when they announced their no-take-out from the buffet policy . I also expect you send them love notes them each time they increase the gratuities . Well done .

You have a right to an opinion as does everyone else here. Don't chastise others for expressing theirs. It is to everyone's benefit that NCL understands how their decisions affect their customer base and ultimately their bottom line.

Corkage is an industry standard. It is done all the time in the restaurant business. $15 as it goes is cheap for a 750ml. As a collector of fine wine, I gladly pay corkage on cruises as well as restaurants to drink my wine.

I am in favor of the ban. I believe it will curb illegal booze, and minimize people getting sick, which happens far too often on NCL. Their cruise fares are low with the hopes of making up money on people's bar tab.

:confused::confused::confused: what does this mean?? Getting sick from drinking too much?? That probably happens more often from people that have the drink package than by smugglers. Also, would much rather have some drunkies throwing up than a noro outbreak from people contaminating water stations with their water bottles!

If NCL views RCCL as their primary competition and is going to model their policy regarding bringing beverages on board and prices for purchase of individual bottles and packages of bottles after RCCL, then they should ALSO match RCCL and expand their "top tier" beverage package to include bottled water, specialty coffee and fresh juices. And RCCL charges $79 for that package, so there's NCL's price point. ;)

It's $67, which includes gratuities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good job ! I hope you also sent a letter of congratulations when they announced their no-take-out from the buffet policy . I also expect you send them love notes them each time they increase the gratuities . Well done .

Hardly ever send them love notes, but I did support the no-take out ban as well. In this case, I think the ban is warranted and long over due. Last cruise on the Dawn, was caught in line behind some idiot who pushed is case of Mt. Dews through the que with his foot. Thirty-five minutes in that god awful Black Falcon queue with his case scraping the floor the whole time. Yeah ban that crap!

Edited by jlat

I contacted NCL and heard back today. I thought I report it back here.

They do offer sparking water on board and here is the email I received.

Bottled Water policy:

Bottled water is available for purchase on board all ships.

Aquafina bottled water is available in both 20 oz. and 1 liter bottles. (Aquafina is purified, reverse osmosis processed). Perrier sparkling bottled water is available in both 193 ml. and 750 ml. bottles.

As of the July 15 policy change, guest cannot bring bottled water, soda or juices on board. Beverages will be confiscated and discarded at the security check point.

Exceptions to this policy are: (1) distilled water in factory sealed containers for use with medical devices and (2) water in factory sealed containers for use with infant formula.

Aquafina 20oz - $2.50

Aquafina 1 liter - $4.50

Perrier 193ml - $2.50

Perrier 750ml - $4.50

Also please see attachment for water packages.

Unless they are going to actually call each and everyone that submitted an email to them.. I'd hate to have that person's job... and I guess they are being called back in the order the emails were received :D

I sent an email in Monday just to express my thoughts on the new policy since we sail on 7/17 and I was planning on taking Diet Coke onboard. Just a few minutes ago someone from NCL called but I didn't get to my phone in time. He left his name and number and told me to call him back if I wanted to discuss the issue. I will call tomorrow and will let y'all know if he says anything helpful, like they are going to adjust the price of the water or something.

Royal Caribbean's published policy

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use on boarding day or while in port. Alcoholic beverages seized on boarding day will not be returned.

Carnivals published policy

Bringing Liquor and Beverages Onboard - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

You can bring cans, but flat water in cans is increasingly difficult to find, so essentially a ban.

Some people have had no issues bring water on, but in doing so they are violating the policy. That being said each line has the right to determine the level of enforcement they are going to exhibit.

BUT Carnival changed their prices when this went into effect and only charges $3.99 for a 12 pack of bottled water (delivered to your room).

AND you can still bring canned soda on board.

WHY are we bogged down with every other cruise lines policy???? No matter what is copied and pasted from the actual websites...... someone will have an opposing view or experience that will "nullify" the policy.....

OK, speed limit is 55mph but you pass a cop going 70mph...... you don't get a ticket does this mean the law is now 70mph because 55mph wasn't enforced at that exact moment?? So, the next day you go by the same cop at the same place but going g 65mph..... you get a ticket. Is your defense going to be "but 55 wasn't enforced and I was doing 70 at that time so 65 should be allowed"

BUT Carnival changed their prices when this went into effect and only charges $3.99 for a 12 pack of bottled water (delivered to your room).

AND you can still bring canned soda on board.

And Carnival's Cheers program costs 50 plus 15% ahead of time and 55 plus 15% on board. There is a 15 alcoholic drink limit, but the dollar limit is 50, unlike 15 on NCL, so more expensive cognacs and wines would be covered. Their program also includes unlimited non alcoholic options such as espresso based coffees, bottled water, canned soda and even milkshakes.

The only positive that NCL has over Carnival is that their less inclusive drinks package is a perk that is included, albeit at a higher selling point.

I am furious and totally opposed to NCLs new policy prohibiting bringing sodas on board, it is a complete money grab and an insult to customer service/satisfaction. We are booked on our 7th NCL cruise in September and it may very well be our last on this cruise line - this new policy has just pushed me too far!

I sent an email in Monday just to express my thoughts on the new policy since we sail on 7/17 and I was planning on taking Diet Coke onboard. Just a few minutes ago someone from NCL called but I didn't get to my phone in time. He left his name and number and told me to call him back if I wanted to discuss the issue. I will call tomorrow and will let y'all know if he says anything helpful, like they are going to adjust the price of the water or something.

I have also sent NCL an email protesting this new policy. I'm interested in hearing what they tell you when they get back with you. They sent me an email that confirmed receipt of my complaint and said they would get back with me within 3 days.

I contacted NCL and heard back today. I thought I report it back here.

They do offer sparking water on board and here is the email I received.

Bottled Water policy:

Bottled water is available for purchase on board all ships.

Aquafina bottled water is available in both 20 oz. and 1 liter bottles. (Aquafina is purified, reverse osmosis processed). Perrier sparkling bottled water is available in both 193 ml. and 750 ml. bottles.

As of the July 15 policy change, guest cannot bring bottled water, soda or juices on board. Beverages will be confiscated and discarded at the security check point.

Exceptions to this policy are: (1) distilled water in factory sealed containers for use with medical devices and (2) water in factory sealed containers for use with infant formula.

Aquafina 20oz - $2.50

Aquafina 1 liter - $4.50

Perrier 193ml - $2.50

Perrier 750ml - $4.50

Also please see attachment for water packages.

thanks for this information. These prices will work for me.:) I rarely drink soda. so these individual prices will work for me. Feel bad for those who can no longer bring on their favored soda though.

I'd imagine they'd spin this by saying "as part of security measures and inline with airport security procedures" - in ports like Barcelona they have a shop after security that sells bottled water!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would you happen to know if it is at a reasonable rate to purchase the water? Then if it is after security, i wonder if they would stop you before you enter the ship.