Have a complaint?

asubaru

I can honestly say this new policy will affect our cruise enjoyment.

I posted on the NCL Facebook page. Sent tweets to @CruiseNCL and Andy Stuart @nclandy and sent emails to Ms. Ewart and Mr. Stuart. I am not sure what else I can personally do, but I think them "getting and ear full" as Andy Stuart remarked after the "no food back to the cabin" policy was rescinded can't hurt.

Oh well, less to carry on board now :) It's funny to see people getting ready to bail out of their cruise over this. The same was said when they banned smoking on the balconies. People were allegedly canceling their cruises left and right. I don't think it effected NCL, and neither will this soda/water ban. This to shall pass.......... Royal Caribbean should be following suit soon.

Royal already has this policy, although it is not uniformly enforced.

However, Royal's beverage package includes bottled water and specialty coffees. Not sure about canned soda because we don't drink much soda and just got the fountain stuff, but I don't think it is included.

Royal already has this policy, although it is not uniformly enforced.

It's funny that I didn't know that and I cruise Royal Caribbean a lot. Dragging water and/or soda around was never my thing. I over pack enough as it is already.........lol

Edited by Zigggypup

Tried to send email to Vivian. Received auto response that she was out of office. She left a message to contact Amoris@ncl.com.

I got the same thing but bizarrely it was only sent to me many many hours after I sent my email. It made me wonder whether it was activated to avoid responding individually to people.

I didn't get an out of office reply from Andy Stuart, but I did also from Ms. Ewart, immediately. I assumed she was just away for the holiday. If don't get some other sort of response in a few days, I will try that "emergency" contact provided in the bounce back.

Thanks so much for posting this! As someone who works for a company with an "Executive Response Team" I can tell you that many companies do respond to the direct feedback from their customers; especially when it comes in a high volume. Keep it up!

In light of the "no more soda/water allowed to be brought on", I wanted to comment about complaints.

IMO, complaining among ourselves will not do much good; yes, venting may help a bit. I don't believe that NCL will the read hundreds of posts about the new carry on policy. They know it won't be popular and are expecting backlash.

I am of the belief that energy/time would be better spent taking your opinions to social media and contacting NCL. Facebook, Twitter, email, and snail mail are some options. Andy Stuart has a Twitter account: AndyStuart@nclandy. NCL is on Facebook with many followers.

I have contacted the woman listed below before with some concerns. She may suggest a better contact for your complaints or questions.

One thing I don't do is embellish, dramatize, exaggerate, nor threaten to leave NCL. Threatening, IMO, is counterproductive almost as bad as cursing!

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

7665 Corporate Center Dr.

Miami, FL 33126

(305) 436-4011

vewart@ncl.com

There is a consumer advocate type website done by Christopher Elliot that has a wealth of info regarding complaints. There is even contact in for NCL. Google is your friend.

I would contact Mark Kansley MKansley@ncl.com and Karl Muhlberger, KMuhlberger@ncl.com

Mark is SVP of Hotel Ops.

Karl is VP of Food and Bev Ops and Development and reports to Mark.

LinkedIn is a wonderful tool to find who is in these positions.

The NCL website Leadership Team page is blank :confused:

I don't think that NCL really cares about the negative reactions of some people regarding this policy change. I'm sure that they anticipated the initial reaction that this topic will get. But in a month or so this will all blow away. So if they lose a guest or two over it, they will surely make it up in profits by making sure you buy soda & water on board. I highly doubt that many cruisers will stop cruising with NCL over water/soda no matter how vocal the become on Cruise Critic. So once the dust settles and everyone takes a deep breath, this will turn out to be just a bump in the road.

Edited by Zigggypup

I don't think that NCL really cares about the negative reactions of some people regarding this policy change. I'm sure that they anticipated the initial reaction that this topic will get. But in a month or so this will all blow away. So if they lose a guest or two over it, they will surely make it up in profits by making sure you buy soda & water on board. I highly doubt that many cruisers will stop cruising with NCL over water/soda no matter how vocal the become on Cruise Critic. So once the dust settles and everyone takes a deep breath, this will turn out to be just a bump in the road.

Over water and soda, maybe not, but this is just the latest in a long string of changes, one after the other, after the other, after the other, after the other. At some point, some people have just had enough.

Thanks for the photo of the terrible looking water. I have never seen such water on a cruise ship.

I routinely drink the tap water from the ship. I will still do so, but not from the sink in my cabin.

I agree with you, but I'm still willing to help those that want to voice their displeasure get it in front of the proper eyes.

Just buy a case of water at ncl inflated prices

Then

Reduce your dsc by that exact amount

That will not only get ncls attention it will also provide ncl with disgruntled crew to add to disgruntled pax

Please no comments about the poor crew getting stiffed...you are only reducing dsc by a certain amount not reducing it totally and you can always throw cash around if it makes you feel better

Bottom line we the pax are at war with ncl and this is a very good tactic to get them to listen up and possibly retreat

Don't be sheeple...do something that will get THEM in the pocketbook

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just buy a case of water at ncl inflated prices

Then

Reduce your dsc by that exact amount

That will not only get ncls attention it will also provide ncl with disgruntled crew to add to disgruntled pax

Please no comments about the poor crew getting stiffed...you are only reducing dsc by a certain amount not reducing it totally and you can always throw cash around if it makes you feel better

Bottom line we the pax are at war with ncl and this is a very good tactic to get them to listen up and possibly retreat

Don't be sheeple...do something that will get THEM in the pocketbook

How did reducing or removing the DSC when NCL started charging for room service or added the 18% gratuity go? Oh, it did not do anything (those policies are still in place). All it did was to punish the crew who have nothing to do with the decision making with regard to policies or what NCL charges for items on the ships, all they do is try to make sure you have a great vacation. The way to get NCL's attention is to not purchase their product, cancelling cruises and writing to the President of the line.

Over water and soda, maybe not, but this is just the latest in a long string of changes, one after the other, after the other, after the other, after the other. At some point, some people have just had enough.

This ^^^^

After a while, even some former cheerleaders & loyal NCL customers get annoyed - and, it's no longer funny. Maybe to "outsiders" who aren't into NCL's once freestyle cruising in the "old days" as others called it - it's more than a simple joking matter ... when ounce for ounce, purified municipal water bottled for sales on a cruise ship is just as expensive, if not more, than a bottle of beer. There are no mistaken beliefs that we aren't in a capitalistic economy where companies are in the business of making money ... in a responsible manner but not price gouging, with grossly inflated prices as someone said.

Thus, I respectfully strongly protest & disagree with those that feel this is "funny" or poke fun about folk's rights to challenge & voice their disappointment.

From their corporate standpoint, knowing that the noises of protest are coming, I would be "out of the office" and turn on the spam/email filters too & ignore most senders; and, instruct the delegated staff to hit those "Delete" buttons.

Edited by mking8288

How did reducing or removing the DSC when NCL started charging for room service or added the 18% gratuity go? Oh, it did not do anything (those policies are still in place). All it did was to punish the crew who have nothing to do with the decision making with regard to policies or what NCL charges for items on the ships, all they do is try to make sure you have a great vacation. The way to get NCL's attention is to not purchase their product, cancelling cruises and writing to the President of the line.

If you are past final payment..reducing dsc by the exact amount of your water purchase is an excellent way to let Ncl know how you feel

Ncl would then be sending you a refund check to cover the cost of the inflated price they charged you for water

Brilliant!!!

The crew...well what can I say....it's unfortunate but just throw the cash at them if you want to feel better and if enough pax reduce dsc Ncl will reconsider the water policy

The point is to make Ncl write you a check for what they charged you for water....

Serious action on the part of the pax is needed...some will be temporarily hurt by this action but so be it because taking a stand for strong action is not easy

They will notice that and not be happy to have to send the check

Edited by luvtheships

If you are past final payment..reducing dsc by the exact amount of your water purchase is an excellent way to let Ncl know how you feel

Ncl would then be sending you a refund check to cover the cost of the inflated price they charged you for water

Brilliant!!!

The crew...well what can I say....it's unfortunate but just throw the cash at them if you want to feel better and if enough pax reduce dsc Ncl will reconsider the water policy

The point is to make Ncl write you a check for what they charged you for water....

Serious action on the part of the pax is needed...some will be temporarily hurt by this action but so be it because taking a stand for strong action is not easy

They will notice that and not be happy to have to send the check

Exactly and the biggest difference now from the way that ncl used to make you reduce dsc is that now NCL themselves has to cut the check so they WILL take notice

Previously guest services made the adjustment so unless they brought it up the ladder chances are the exact reasons for the reduction can and did get blurred

And by bringing the crew in on this via a real or imaginary reduction to their compensation package you have only brought in an ally in this fight but the bleeding hearts here can't or won't admit it

With ncl you must fight fire with fire

Hit them in the pocketbook by requesting dsc refund

Hit them in the staffing by getting the crew aware of how this change in water policy is directly impacting them

Also has anyone thought of the possibility that the crew themselves encouraged the water ban? You know by saying it was too heavy to carry so many cases? Just think this stuff through people!!!!

By following my suggestions btw.....you don't need to cancel your cruises either

Here's the message I sent to Ms. Ewart. I copied my PCC as well. My company pays attention to feedback from the sales force about customers, so I figure it couldn't hurt to copy my sales rep.

From my perspective, the battle about bringing beverages on board is lost. I don't see NCL rescinding the policy. But they need to change the beverage package to be in line with standard industry offerings, which means including water, at a minimum. They really should be including specialty coffees and juice too -- all without adjusting the price

My husband and I are looking forward to our upcoming trip on the Gem in September, but I was very disappointed in the change to NCL’s beverage policy announced on Friday. I hope that there will be some updates made to the current UBP to balance the new restrictions on bringing beverages on board.

I don’t drink much soda and my husband, while he prefers Coke, will drink Pepsi if he wants a cola. The bottled water change is a concern for us, as I have never been on a ship that had water that I will drink. It’s not a question of “safety;” I’m sure the water is safe to drink. It just tastes terrible to me, likely as a result of the processing it undergoes to make it potable.

Because NCL’s UBP —unlike the beverage package of every other mainstream cruse line — does not include any bottled water and because of the truly ridiculous mark-up on bottled water on board, we were planning to bring a supply of bottled water with us. Now that option doesn’t exist. This will cause us to incur additional charges to buy the water we’d like to drink.

I understand that the time spent screening large amounts of liquids brought on-board adds time to the embarkation process and makes it take longer to deliver bags to cabins. But if NCL is going to make this change, it should be accompanied by a change expanding the UBP to include bottled water. A reduction in the price of pre-ordered bottled water would also be helpful.

From what I can tell, NCL’s beverage package is one of the most expensive in the industry and one of the most limited. Many other lines include not just bottled water, but specialty coffee and fresh-squeezed juice in their plans. If NCL is looking to attract cruisers who are willing to pay for a “higher-end” experience, including these items in the beverage package should be done.

While I wouldn’t go so far as to say that this change in the beverage package would cause us to never cruise NCL again, the broader array of beverages available in others’ packages will certainly be a consideration in our future decision making. I recognize that this decision may not have been yours to make, but hope that you will pass along my concerns as appropriate and that a change in the UBP will be implemented coincident with the change in the policy regarding carrying on beverages.

Here's the message I sent to Ms. Ewart. I copied my PCC as well. My company pays attention to feedback from the sales force about customers, so I figure it couldn't hurt to copy my sales rep.

From my perspective, the battle about bringing beverages on board is lost. I don't see NCL rescinding the policy. But they need to change the beverage package to be in line with standard industry offerings, which means including water, at a minimum. They really should be including specialty coffees and juice too -- all without adjusting the price

My husband and I are looking forward to our upcoming trip on the Gem in September, but I was very disappointed in the change to NCL’s beverage policy announced on Friday. I hope that there will be some updates made to the current UBP to balance the new restrictions on bringing beverages on board.

I don’t drink much soda and my husband, while he prefers Coke, will drink Pepsi if he wants a cola. The bottled water change is a concern for us, as I have never been on a ship that had water that I will drink. It’s not a question of “safety;” I’m sure the water is safe to drink. It just tastes terrible to me, likely as a result of the processing it undergoes to make it potable.

Because NCL’s UBP —unlike the beverage package of every other mainstream cruse line — does not include any bottled water and because of the truly ridiculous mark-up on bottled water on board, we were planning to bring a supply of bottled water with us. Now that option doesn’t exist. This will cause us to incur additional charges to buy the water we’d like to drink.

I understand that the time spent screening large amounts of liquids brought on-board adds time to the embarkation process and makes it take longer to deliver bags to cabins. But if NCL is going to make this change, it should be accompanied by a change expanding the UBP to include bottled water. A reduction in the price of pre-ordered bottled water would also be helpful.

From what I can tell, NCL’s beverage package is one of the most expensive in the industry and one of the most limited. Many other lines include not just bottled water, but specialty coffee and fresh-squeezed juice in their plans. If NCL is looking to attract cruisers who are willing to pay for a “higher-end” experience, including these items in the beverage package should be done.

While I wouldn’t go so far as to say that this change in the beverage package would cause us to never cruise NCL again, the broader array of beverages available in others’ packages will certainly be a consideration in our future decision making. I recognize that this decision may not have been yours to make, but hope that you will pass along my concerns as appropriate and that a change in the UBP will be implemented coincident with the change in the policy regarding carrying on beverages.

Great post.

DW and I drink the tap water on cruise ships and don't buy expensive bottled water. However, when I saw the photo someone posted of the gross looking green water from the cabin bathroom sink, it caused me to be more careful on what water we drink onboard ship. It will depend on the ship. Any ship with any history of such green water, I will either buy the bottled water or at a minimum only drink water from the restaurants that have been filtered.

Those who don't like the tap water - why not bring one of those refillable water bottles with the built-in filter? It's a lot less to carry than a case of bottled water.

I haven't found that using those filters improves the taste, at least to me. I have the same issue with the water where I work. There is so much processing, filtering, etc. done to the water to make it potable that it tastes -- I don't know exactly how to describe it, but the words "flat" "stale" and "dead" are what come to mind.

I'm beginning to think that there's something missing from it that makes it taste off to me, which may be why more filtering doesn't help.

I haven't found that using those filters improves the taste, at least to me. I have the same issue with the water where I work. There is so much processing, filtering, etc. done to the water to make it potable that it tastes -- I don't know exactly how to describe it, but the words "flat" "stale" and "dead" are what come to mind.

I'm beginning to think that there's something missing from it that makes it taste off to me, which may be why more filtering doesn't help.

There is a post somewhere in the 1000+ bottled water thread about the processing taking all of the minerals out. That causes the "dead" taste and ankle swelling in some people, including me.

There is a post somewhere in the 1000+ bottled water thread about the processing taking all of the minerals out. That causes the "dead" taste and ankle swelling in some people, including me.

Since I quit drinking the ships water and iced tea made with the ships water I have not had any problems with swollen ankles as I have in the past. It has something to do with the sodium levels when it is processed.

Edited by Lorey2007

I got a phone call from NCL today in response to my email to the VP. The person was polite and friendly and answered my questions about the quality of the water. He also let me know that they are looking into the price of the bottled water but that no decision had been made yet.

I really appreciate the personal response I got from NCL and I'm glad they are looking into it. Multi million dollar corporations don't usually change policies on a dime, but it's good to know they are reviewing it.

I encourage more people to write. I've seen some extremely eloquent letters posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums