Sydney light rail questions

I have been reading the website, but still have questions.

I know that in many many cities, you can pay for public transport by the trip, or you can buy a day pass or several-day pass, or weekly pass.

Does that exist in Sydney, or is it always pay-for-your-trip?

I have been reading the website, but still have questions.

I know that in many many cities, you can pay for public transport by the trip, or you can buy a day pass or several-day pass, or weekly pass.

Does that exist in Sydney, or is it always pay-for-your-trip?

the best way to get around Sydney is to buy an Opal Card https://www.opal.com.au/ it would work out cheaper and you can top up at lots of outlets and all you do is tap on and tap off once leaving your train, bus or ferry but if going to or from Sydney Airport its a private station so the fare is much dearer

So, if I understand both of you and the website, you buy a card with a certain amount of money on it, and each time you take a ride, it automatically deducts the cost of that trip from the balance.

Is that correct?

So the pricing is always PER RIDE. There is no "daily pass" for one flat fee that covers all of your rides for that day, for instance?

There is a daily fare cap of $15. Once you've paid $15 in individual fares on one day you travel free for the rest of that day. Even better, on Sundays the cap is $2.50. :D

That cap doesn't include the airport fee though, only the train fare.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The light rail from central to paddy,s market fish market etc was privately owned and was not covered under the transport day pass which covers trains buses and ferries however haven't used it recently so don't know if it has changed with the introduction of the opal card.

So, if I understand both of you and the website, you buy a card with a certain amount of money on it, and each time you take a ride, it automatically deducts the cost of that trip from the balance.

Is that correct?

So the pricing is always PER RIDE. There is no "daily pass" for one flat fee that covers all of your rides for that day, for instance?

Correct. Daily/weekly/monthly passes and paper tickets are now a thing of the past, or at least will be prior to next cruise season.

The Opal smart card is now in use including light rail.

This is the official transport website. http://www.transportnsw.info/

The light rail from central to paddy,s market fish market etc was privately owned and was not covered under the transport day pass which covers trains buses and ferries however haven't used it recently so don't know if it has changed with the introduction of the opal card.

It is now all part of the main transport

Forgot to point out that if you hold a seniors card from ANY STATE the day's cost (except for the airport) is $2.50 all day trains buses light rail and ferries

You can purchase your opal card on line and have it delivered to you before you commence your travel and that way you have no trouble getting the seniors rate as you state on the on lin e form that you are seniors and give the number

Edited by windsor26

You can purchase your opal card on line and have it delivered to you before you commence your travel and that way you have no trouble getting the seniors rate as you state on the on lin e form that you are seniors and give the number

I think you can only get the seniors gold card online. And it's not available to overseas visitors (like the OP).

I think you can only get the seniors gold card online. And it's not available to overseas visitors (like the OP).

I'm too young, anyway. ;)

Since the Opal Card is just a money card, in reality, there is no time limit for its use, right?

I'll be in Sydney 3 days pre-cruise, March 25-28, then on two turnaround days, April 10 & April 18.

I can use it all five of those days, correct?

Is it difficult to use light rail with luggage?

Oh, and is it transferable? Do they ever ask for ID? For instance, if I won't use it myself on April 10, can I give my Opal Card to my friend to use?

Yes, you can.

We keep two spare Opal cards for family or friends to use when they visit us from out of state or overseas.

There is no time limit on the card. We bought our spares sometime last year and they only get used every few months for a few days.

Opal cards do have an expiry date, but it's something like 3 years.

Got a rude shock when I got on a bus and discovered that my MyWay card (Canberra equivalent to Opal) had expired. My Myki card (Melbourne equivalent) will need to be replaced next time I visit Melbourne too.

Opal cards do have an expiry date, but it's something like 3 years.

Got a rude shock when I got on a bus and discovered that my MyWay card (Canberra equivalent to Opal) had expired. My Myki card (Melbourne equivalent) will need to be replaced next time I visit Melbourne too.

Did you have to get a new MyWay card, or did they just reactivate the old one?

We bought Myki cards around Christmas 2012 and they were still valid when we visited Melbourne in February.

Even better, our last cruise ended up in Hong Kong. We took along a couple of Octopus cards that we'd had for many years. When we checked the balance on them they showed all the transactions from our last visit, nine years ago, We did have to get the cards reactivated though.

in Qld they have the Go Card which is very good but any seniors who have a pension card plus seniors card they are better off using their seniors card if wanting a Go Card as it lasts for 10 years but the pension card runs out on your birthday

Yes, you can.

We keep two spare Opal cards for family or friends to use when they visit us from out of state or overseas.

There is no time limit on the card. We bought our spares sometime last year and they only get used every few months for a few days.

Not sure if buying extra cards as spares is that wise for someone from the US.:confused:

Melbourne's Myki card is a bit of a tax as the expiry is fairly short, for those who do not visit that often anyway. At least trams within the CBD are now free however, that won't help those cruisers coming from the Port or going to St Kilda for a look around.

Not sure if buying extra cards as spares is that wise for someone from the US.:confused:

Well, no, and I didn't suggest it was. I was just using that as an example as to how the card doesn't expire if you don't use it every day/week/month. Anyway ours will get used again in a couple of weeks. GD and friend are coming to visit. I just ask anyone who uses them to ensure there is enough balance on the cards so the next person can get into the CBD using it.

Well, no, and I didn't suggest it was. I was just using that as an example as to how the card doesn't expire if you don't use it every day/week/month. Anyway ours will get used again in a couple of weeks. GD and friend are coming to visit. I just ask anyone who uses them to ensure there is enough balance on the cards so the next person can get into the CBD using it.

Fair enough, that is a good plan for local who have visitors then.:D