What would it take for you to switch cabins?

LMaxwell

Last year or so there was a thread about this exact thing. They said they were offered everything but the moon and didn't move. The new cabin was on the other side of the ship (moving from 7654 to 7653). IIRC is was an Alaskan cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't get my hopes up, it's a beer. I would just do it because in the scenario I put out there, I would feel it would be the right thing to do and make someone else's life easier....in my example, when you are moving literally 10 feet, you wouldn't do that?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Why is it the right thing to do if you're inconvenienced just because? No, the right thing to do is get 2 bottles of wine and a dinner just because it's the right thing to do for the "wanting party." I planned, I coordinated, I got my ***** together. *iss poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

I would feel it would be the right thing to do and make someone else's life easier

My life becomes easier before others. I planned, I paid, I sit.

I would feel it would be the right thing to do and make someone else's life easier

No, make my life easier. That's how I roll.:cool:

Why is it the right thing to do if you're inconvenienced just because? No, the right thing to do is get 2 bottles of wine and a dinner just because it's the right thing to do for the "wanting party." I planned, I coordinated, I got my ***** together. *iss poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

My life becomes easier before others. I planned, I paid, I sit.

No, make my life easier. That's how I roll.:cool:

Are you really that self centered and miserable that you wouldn't oblige in that hypothetical situation I presented? I get it if they wanted to trade their interior with your balcony, I get the reason of not agreeing, it isn't close to the same....but 3 consecutive cabins, all identical layouts, but you were in the middle of a family who wanted to essentially share space and you wouldn't move and would only consider it for 2 bottles of wine and a premium dinner....that is unbelievable....I actually pity you in the fact that you are that selfish and self centered

Edited by First and Ten

I can't really see anything ever happening that would cause me to move or even have anyone contact me to move. If you don't have connecting cabins and need them, you contact Carnival a few weeks before the cruise and let them find connecting cabins. Of course, you would put yourself in danger of being over the Disco. Same for the hypothetical case of two couples traveling together but separated by you. They should contact Carnival BEFORE the Cruise and the sooner the better and have the cabins reassigned so that they can be together.

A cruise is not like an Airplane Flight where a family at the last minute gets seats all over the plane. On a Cruise, they usually know at least 3 or 4 days before the cruise what the assignment will be. The Exception is when they book Guarantee. That means that they have left ALL the decisions up to Carnival. And would have no room to complain.

It would have to be a good sob story.

I'm sure the reason I would move would not be for some type of reward, but rather to fulfill someone else's necessity.

Like I say, it would have to be a good story.

I would not want to change once I am on the ship. I would be willing to change before the cruise if I can look at the deck plans and see that it is a comparable cabin. A small comp would be nice.

Are you really that self centered and miserable that you wouldn't oblige in that hypothetical situation I presented? I get it if they wanted to trade their interior with your balcony, I get the reason of not agreeing, it isn't close to the same....but 3 consecutive cabins, all identical layouts, but you were in the middle of a family who wanted to essentially share space and you wouldn't move and would only consider it for 2 bottles of wine and a premium dinner....that is unbelievable....I actually pity you in the fact that you are that selfish and self centered

People book specific cabins for all kinds of reasons. If you want specific cabins or side by side cabins you need to plan accordingly. I wouldn't move and there is nothing selfish or self centered about that.

This thread stems from someone who booked a guarantee and didn't like that they were not assigned connecting cabins. And they were mad that the cruise line wouldn't force the occupants in the cabin they wanted to move. If they wanted connecting they should have paid the extra to be able to pick their cabins. If you have specific needs you need to pick cabins that accommodate those needs not try to force other guests to accomodate.

People book specific cabins for all kinds of reasons. If you want specific cabins or side by side cabins you need to plan accordingly. I wouldn't move and there is nothing selfish or self centered about that.

This thread stems from someone who booked a guarantee and didn't like that they were not assigned connecting cabins. And they were mad that the cruise line wouldn't force the occupants in the cabin they wanted to move. If they wanted connecting they should have paid the extra to be able to pick their cabins. If you have specific needs you need to pick cabins that accommodate those needs not try to force other guests to accomodate.

I was thinking this...someone disliked where their 2 GTY cabins were.

We booked on the Valor for this Aug (booked as soon as they opened bookings for Aug...over a year out). I wanted an aft extended balcony so we selected our cabins. We are a family of 5. So I tried a combo of the aft extended and an inside...for 2 and for 3. The cheapest was to book the aft extended for 3 and the inside for 2. We were all booked and then a few months later got notice that they were changing ships on us and we'd be moved to the Magic for the same cost. Winner winner!!! Except that the Magic only had 2...yes, just two...aft extended balconies for 3 pax and they are on deck 9. We were assigned one but our inside (with 2 of my family members) was assigned on deck 4 or 5 or something (since that's the deck we had on the Valor). I called immediately and paid the upcharge to move our inside up to deck 9 near our aft balcony.

So really there should be very rarely an excuse to need to move (since you have plenty of time to select cabins and even change cabins prior to cruising). And if you are even slightly picky...do NOT go GTY!!!

Edited by laumicmah

And if you are even slightly picky...do NOT go GTY!!!

GTY's should be assigned no more than 48 hours before the cruise; enough time to print your documents, or even preferably assigned when you get to the pier - the porters have manifests to properly tag bags.

No switching from your GTY room, even within the same category, unless you pay the prevailing rate to what it would have cost to select a specific room. Too many people are gaming the GTY system to select specific rooms without paying the cost associated.

That will put an end to the GTY gaming, and those that truly want to save money and would be happy with any room can continue to do so and realize the savings with that.

The responses to the original question have been interesting; I guess my willingness to switch rooms at request would be on a case by case basis with a lot of factors at play.

Who could be miserable on a cruise unless someone is trying to make your life miserable. It's called "self interest." BTW, how did I end up between families if they hadn't of added more members to their entourage? As I said before, *iss poor planning on their part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part. It might be a good lesson for them to plan ahead the next time. Actually, I don't think 2 bottles of wine and a dinner in the steakhouse will cut it for me. It's not worth the aggravation. "Capitalism, the Unknown Ideal." Nothing wrong in looking out for your own self-interest, there's always someone around who will take advantage of you--including Carnival.

P.S. Shaming someone into submission is what liberals do.

Edited by elliair

I can't actually think of a compensation that would entice me to change cabins on my upcoming cruise, unless it was to the aft wraparound on the opposite side, but on the same deck. We purposely booked the same suite we had on our honeymoon (except that it was the Spirit last time and the Legend this time). We did careful research when we booked our the first time, and decided we wanted either that cabin or the one on the opposite side. I might not be as picky on a Caribbean cruise, where much of the at sea time is just open water, but the views of the landscapes and wildlife from our private aft balcony are what made us book Carnival again for the repeat Alaska cruise. Trust me, it was not for the entertainment, the food, or the port schedule... all of which we found a bit lacking. However, the happiest, most memorable and wonderful part of the cruise was being able to stretch out on that balcony, put our feet up and take in the breathtaking sights, and that (at least to us) is what makes Alaskan cruises so magical.

That said, we were willing to pay what we did to get what we wanted. It's silly to gamble on a "cruise line's choice, hoping for a great room, when it could go either way, when you actually AREN'T willing to be happy with what you get.

I asked this on the RC board as it originally came up there, but I was curious to expand the scope and see what those on the CCL board would say.

In another thread, someone made the suggestion of asking a guest to switch cabins. This elicited a wide variety of responses and got me thinking about the topic. While I would feel awkward being asked, I wouldn't be offended, but what would the circumstances have to be to get me to switch the cabin?

If I did not have a connecting cabin or nearby kids to contend with, if the switch could be made quickly / painlessly (under 20 minutes at GS), if it did not screwup my Seapass account, orders, room deliveries for the week (and I have doubts on that), if the switched location was comparable (not under or over any lounges, not next to housekeeping closets) etc., and if there was financial incentive to do so offered by the person wanting to switch (I always study deck plans and hand pick my own cabins and pay a premium to do so). Not sure what would happen with luggage if it wasn't yet delivered, or if it was I wouldn't want to drag it across the ship. And usually as soon as we get our luggage we fully unpack.

But, yes, there are circumstances I'd consider doing the switch. Or maybe it is better to say "criteria"? I doubt I'd switch under any circumstance for a downgrade in cabin category however.

What's your opinions on this? Interested to hear other perspectives.

We were asked to do it on the Ecstasy when we had a sleep 3 cabin (drop down bunk) and there were two of us. After we boarded and were having a drink during sail away we were paged. Thinking there was something wrong at home we responded to the page. They pulled us aside and explained the situation and asked if we could help out. They offered us the Owners penthouse suite for our room. We had already unpacked but they moved our clothes for us. Great deal!

I would consider moving to a like cabin if it was for a valid reason, ie. connecting cabins, next door to traveling party or something similar as long as my cabin was similar to the new cabin. It would be better if this was handled in advance and Carnival was willing to call in advance and ask. And I don't need compensation. That sounds like bribery to me.

I may consider switch if: I had a connecting cabin and a family nearby had two non-connecting cabins.

I had a HA cabin and some who truly needed it asked.

If I was between a group and they were talking across the balcony.

Any of these would also depend on how soon after boarding the request was made. If I'm totally unpacked then it's becomes highly unlikely. If it was the second or third day then it isn't happening.

If someone asked so they were closer to an elevator and were not mobility challenged or someone wanted a better view of the glaciers it would take a large amount of cash to make that happen.

Take care,

Mike

Asking me once I have boarded sets of all sorts of alarms. I would be suspect of the switched cabin as being a "problem" because it it were just logistics and the other guest pressed the issue Carnival would have called me before the cruise. It is not too often a stranger walks up and offers you something substantially better than you have.

We tend to book suites, so there are not usually a lot of them and locations can vary, which is very important to us. If I have not unpacked yet and Carnival assured me of no mix ups on my accounts; same room category, and I inspected the potential room I would consider a switch for an adequate cash offer. What is adequate to me may differ from you. A specialty dinner or a beer would not be nearly close.

Best-

Steve

I traveled last fall on another line that I had booked a mobility cabin over a prior due to my traveling companions (parents) having mobility issues recently. The cruise line changed the cabin without notification and when I went to final pay- it was a "cruise wide" upgrade to everyone bc of categories. I insisted they change back and it was a "we can't. We can't." Basically make do with the assisted devices in current space. Nice. So two days before said cruise...I took a giant fall in the start of a rainstorm and had a severe fracture of my foot, which put me casted to my knee AND require the use of a mobility device with absolutely no weight bearing. Called. Sorry we can't do anything. Nothing we can do. I don't know how many times I fell in my cabin because I just could not move around. Watched a 25 year old couple waltz right out of a handicapped room three down from where we were. My guess is cruise line just didn't want to call someone and ask to switch.

Edited by Jenna1983

I traveled last fall on another line that I had booked a mobility cabin over a prior due to my traveling companions (parents) having mobility issues recently. The cruise line changed the cabin without notification and when I went to final pay- it was a "cruise wide" upgrade to everyone bc of categories. I insisted they change back and it was a "we can't. We can't." Basically make do with the assisted devices in current space. Nice. So two days before said cruise...I took a giant fall in the start of a rainstorm and had a severe fracture of my foot, which put me casted to my knee AND require the use of a mobility device with absolutely no weight bearing. Called. Sorry we can't do anything. Nothing we can do. I don't know how many times I fell in my cabin because I just could not move around. Watched a 25 year old couple waltz right out of a handicapped room three down from where we were. My guess is cruise line just didn't want to call someone and ask to switch.

Your experience is not the same. As I stated the other thread that started this thread was someone didn't like the guarantee rooms they were assigned. 100% the fault of the person that was too cheap to pay the extra cost so that they could pick their rooms.

I can't imagine any circumstance where I would change. I say this based on the one and only time we booked a guaranty cabin. Carnival assigned a cabin to us, but never notified us. They changed the cabin and we went to the new one not knowing that another cabin had been originally assigned to us.

The info at guest services showed us in the old cabin. Our reservations for the Steak House were sent to the old cabin, our OBC from our TA was sent to the old cabin, our wine and strawberries that were sent to us went to the wrong cabin. The entire week we ran into problems and Guest Services tried to get it cleared up, but it took the whole cruise to do so.

I wouldn't want to have another week like that one, so our cabin is picked by us and that's where I want to stay.

we had the same issue on RCI.

They upgraded us but did not say anything. all my paperwork was wrong, luggage was lost, had to go back to GS to know which room we were actually in.

We had open seating and every time we went, they would say we were already seated....... we were on a 11 day cruise, after 4-5 days we were known as "oh yes, you are the couple with the wrong room" and that helped a little.

I would not change........... sorry.

I asked this on the RC board as it originally came up there, but I was curious to expand the scope and see what those on the CCL board would say.

In another thread, someone made the suggestion of asking a guest to switch cabins. This elicited a wide variety of responses and got me thinking about the topic. While I would feel awkward being asked, I wouldn't be offended, but what would the circumstances have to be to get me to switch the cabin?

If I did not have a connecting cabin or nearby kids to contend with, if the switch could be made quickly / painlessly (under 20 minutes at GS), if it did not screwup my Seapass account, orders, room deliveries for the week (and I have doubts on that), if the switched location was comparable (not under or over any lounges, not next to housekeeping closets) etc., and if there was financial incentive to do so offered by the person wanting to switch (I always study deck plans and hand pick my own cabins and pay a premium to do so). Not sure what would happen with luggage if it wasn't yet delivered, or if it was I wouldn't want to drag it across the ship. And usually as soon as we get our luggage we fully unpack.

But, yes, there are circumstances I'd consider doing the switch. Or maybe it is better to say "criteria"? I doubt I'd switch under any circumstance for a downgrade in cabin category however.

What's your opinions on this? Interested to hear other perspectives.

Don't know that I would switch under ANY circumstance. It would also involve getting new S & S cards as well. I would not want that headache of complicated charges on the card, etc. I can see all sorts of problems.

Why do people feel they should be judge and jury. Nope, I wouldn't move either and I would be appalled that someone would even have the audacity to ask me if I'd move.

Why do people feel they should be judge and jury. Nope, I wouldn't move either and I would be appalled that someone would even have the audacity to ask me if I'd move.

Again, I didn't say all cases....I gave a very specific example of literally having to move 10 feet to an exact same cabin layout to accommodate a hypothetical family....no judge and jury, it's called an opinion....what's the big deal? You get the same cabin, literally 10 feet away and you get to accommodate someone else. You would find it outrageous if they asked? Why?

Edited by First and Ten

Again, I didn't say all cases....I gave a very specific example of literally having to move 10 feet to an exact same cabin layout to accommodate a hypothetical family....no judge and jury, it's called an opinion....what's the big deal? You get the same cabin, literally 10 feet away and you get to accommodate someone else. You would find it outrageous if they asked? Why?

It's not incumbent upon ANYONE to accommodate anyone. It took me a couple of days to narrow down a specific cabin with DH's approval as well. I suit myself, we paid for the cabin months in advance, and I chose that specific cabin for a reason. 3 feet or 10 feet, I move 0 feet. *iss poor planning......

I might move 10 feet. Then again I might not. Given the account screw ups that might happen I'm leaning towards not. No amount of wine or dinners can get me to line up at GS again and again to deal with the amateur IT and accounting that goes on on cruise ships. I wouldn't be bothered if someone asked to switch cabins but I would be offended if the cruise line asked me to believe in Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny again.

Edited by DirtyDawg