What to do in Margaret River for the day??

Has anyone here been to Margaret River ?? before, if so has any got any ideas on what to do here?? (We will be there 9th November 2016.)

We are stopping at Margaret River on our cruise on the Emerald Princess.

Any tips / ideas are very welcome :)

I LOVE Margaret River! You could do wine tours (visit Berry Farm), visit the cheese factory, the chocolate factory, there's a couple of breweries. Go have lunch at Woody Nook (their tasting plate is to die for). [emoji4]

You will actually dock at Busselton, I expect. A trip out to the end of the jetty and underwater observatory, and a really nice museum of old farming implements and household goods at the old butter factory were interesting.

Definitely a winery tour, if you self drive you will see the lovely wineries and countryside but then you cannot partake of too much wine. As mentioned you will likely be at Busselton, they may put on the markets for you and there is a few things to see while there. If wineries are not your thing, get a car and got to the lighthouses, maybe a whale watch or there are some wonderful caves.

Definitely a winery tour, if you self drive you will see the lovely wineries and countryside but then you cannot partake of too much wine. As mentioned you will likely be at Busselton, they may put on the markets for you and there is a few things to see while there. If wineries are not your thing, get a car and got to the lighthouses, maybe a whale watch or there are some wonderful caves.

Busselton is a tender port. Margaret River is half and hour at least away. plenty of history in the whole region. should be warming up by then. Have a great cruise. K

The ship will moor in Geographe Bay and tenders will bring passengers to the Busselton Jetty. Margaret River is another fifty kilometres away and ten km inland.

There are generally tours which you can book on the ship. They may include a visit to the lighthouse, to Dunsborough, the Chocolate Factory, cheese factories and various wineries.

The underwater observatory beneath the Busselton Jetty is well worth a visit; you can either walk out to it or go via the jetty train.

And as mentioned the museum in town is a fascinating place.

Also St Mary's, a delightful old stone church in the town.

Markets ... could well be set up for the ship's visit.

Lots of little cafes and eateries in Busselton itself and you can walk everywhere.

Enjoy, it's a beautiful area and weather should be fine by then.

http://www.busseltonjetty.com.au/

Edited by ariomD
adding in jetty website

They have a nice little swimming area just off the tender area, in summer it's surrounded by shark nets. We have friends in the area so generally just get them to meet us down there and we have lunch and a swim.

We've also done a winery tour before but to be honest, it was just so busy and rushed.

Has anyone here been to Margaret River ?? before, if so has any got any ideas on what to do here?? (We will be there 9th November 2016.)

We are stopping at Margaret River on our cruise on the Emerald Princess.

Any tips / ideas are very welcome :)

Bit of misleading itinerary info by Princess. Definitely lists Margaret River as the port of call and doesnt even mention Busselton in the description.

You will definitely tender at Busselton though.

Margaret River area is also a popular surfing area but known for its shark populstion:eek:

Bit of misleading itinerary info by Princess. Definitely lists Margaret River as the port of call and doesnt even mention Busselton in the description.

Margaret River area is also a popular surfing area but known for its shark populstion:eek:

Do they tender to the Bussleton wharf?

If they do , its a long walk ashore..:rolleyes:

Yes a wee bit misleading indeed - give the fact that MR is inland and has no ocean - or jetty !

Cant see why they dont list the correct port stop followed by the names of nearest points of interest.

Meanwhile - yes - Lived in WA for 30 years or so - so been to MR region uncountable times.

If you like caves - the best (in Australia in my opinion) is Ngilgi just near Dunsborough.

Also a nice stop is the Eagle Heritage Park. - its a non profit rescue centre for owls, eagles, hawks - you can do a short bushwalk past the many huge aviaries then watch a flight display by the long term residents who were too injured to be returned to the wild. http://www.eaglesheritage.com.au

For history - the 2nd oldest cottage in WA (oldest is in Albany) is heritage listed Ellensbrook House https://www.nationaltrust.org.au/places/ellensbrook/ it has a nice boardwalk to a grotto and small falls (tho Nov they would likely be dry).

Edited by PerfectlyPerth

Yes a wee bit misleading indeed - give the fact that MR is inland and has no ocean - or jetty !

Cant see why they dont list the correct port stop followed by the names of nearest points of interest.

Meanwhile - yes - Lived in WA for 30 years or so - so been to MR region uncountable times.

If you like caves - the best (in Australia in my opinion) is Ngilgi just near Dunsborough.

Also a nice stop is the Eagle Heritage Park. - its a non profit rescue centre for owls, eagles, hawks - you can do a short bushwalk past the many huge aviaries then watch a flight display by the long term residents who were too injured to be returned to the wild. http://www.eaglesheritage.com.au

For history - the 2nd oldest cottage in WA (oldest is in Albany) is heritage listed Ellensbrook House https://www.nationaltrust.org.au/places/ellensbrook/ it has a nice boardwalk to a grotto and small falls (tho Nov they would likely be dry).

Thanks for the info on the bird Park, I enjoy that sort of thing (rescuing injured birds) and love the live shows as well.

Thanks for the info on the bird Park, I enjoy that sort of thing (rescuing injured birds) and love the live shows as well.

Its a gorgeous place and I have been many times over the years - as it is a non profit I always pay my small entry fee twice - just to make an extra donation.

They have all the like breeds in aviaries that I cannot exagerate the size - like a 2 storey macmansion size.

So every bird is with his same breed while they recuperate and there is ample room for flying and strengthening their wing muscles etc.

And along the bush walk you encounter quite a few sizable harmless monitor lizards and bobtail goannas just strolling along.

You can have a photo holding their long time permanent resident - a stunning hawk whose legs are all buckled because she had been housed in a tiny budgie cage since birth. When she was rescued they had to cut the cage off her. :mad::(

She is still magnificent tho !!

Edited by PerfectlyPerth

Its a gorgeous place and I have been many times over the years - as it is a non profit I always pay my small entry fee twice - just to make an extra donation.

They have all the like breeds in aviaries that I cannot exagerate the size - like a 2 storey macmansion size.

So every bird is with his same breed while they recuperate and there is ample room for flying and strengthening their wing muscles etc.

And along the bush walk you encounter quite a few sizable harmless monitor lizards and bobtail goannas just strolling along.

You can have a photo holding their long time permanent resident - a stunning hawk whose legs are all buckled because she had been housed in a tiny budgie cage since birth. When she was rescued they had to cut the cage off her. :mad::(

She is still magnificent tho !!

The park sounds awesome. I look forward to visiting it the next time I am in the area.:D