Cancellation Question

Hey Everyone,

I am going on my first cruise ever in 6 days! We will be on the Allure of the Seas for 7 nights. YAY! I'm so excited! However, we were bringing my 11 year old niece on the cruise with us. Long story short her mom all of a sudden is being a butt hole and has been avoiding signing the travel letter for her to go. So if I can't get it signed obviously she will not be going with us so should I call Royal Caribbean and let them know she will not be coming or should I just show up and tell them when we check in? I know i won't have money coming back obviously, but I'm not going to let anything ruin my trip I am still going to have a blast!! I just don't know which way to go about doing it. :D

Don't cancel her reservation. There's a chance her mom might still sign the paper. If she ends up not going, you can just wait until you get to check-in at the pier and say she is a no show. There's no penalty for that. You say you won't get any money back. Do you have trip insurance? If you do, you may be able to get the cost of her cruise refunded.

I love that you used butt hole. It's my go to insult! Tell her that whatever issues she has with you guys shouldn't burden the child. Let her have an experience she will always remember!

Yes I wish she thought that way. She is just a jealous type of a person and she doesn't believe that her kids should experience anything she hasn't experienced. (weird and mean, I know) So she was all with it at the beginning but now that it is time to go she got angry about her going on a trip somewhere. Me and her are just 2 different types of people. But she is afraid to tell me she doesn't want her to go anymore so she just avoids going to get the letter signed. I just feel bad for my niece because she did so well in school this year and I promised to take her if she did well. But she also knows her mother.

Yes I wish she thought that way. She is just a jealous type of a person and she doesn't believe that her kids should experience anything she hasn't experienced. (weird and mean, I know) So she was all with it at the beginning but now that it is time to go she got angry about her going on a trip somewhere. Me and her are just 2 different types of people. But she is afraid to tell me she doesn't want her to go anymore so she just avoids going to get the letter signed. I just feel bad for my niece because she did so well in school this year and I promised to take her if she did well. But she also knows her mother.

Just sad, and a very hard lesson for your niece to have to learn at an early age. Hopefully, she will get to go with you. If not, go and enjoy, and keep being a positive influence in your niece's life whenever you can. She will definitely benefit from it.

Ok cool thanks. I am still working on her to get it signed. I haven't given up yet but we will see. I did purchase the trip insurance. So if she doesn't come I will wait until we get there to tell them.

you could always tell the butt hole that if she does refuse to sign that you will be sending her a bill to cover the cancellation penalties( and you could 'forget' to mention that you have insurance)

unless of course she paid, but in that case you just remind her that there is no refund.

you could always tell the butt hole that if she does refuse to sign that you will be sending her a bill to cover the cancellation penalties( and you could 'forget' to mention that you have insurance)

unless of course she paid, but in that case you just remind her that there is no refund.

Oh I am definitely going to find a way to let her know that she has to pay me back. She didn't pay for anything I wish she did. I paid for everything. She doesn't know I have travel insurance I can't tell her things like that because she will find a way to have a reason to say she can't go. So I keep details at a minimum.

At this point though I am so excited for my trip that I will worry about it once i come back if she doesn't go.

Oh I am definitely going to find a way to let her know that she has to pay me back. She didn't pay for anything I wish she did. I paid for everything. She doesn't know I have travel insurance I can't tell her things like that because she will find a way to have a reason to say she can't go. So I keep details at a minimum.

At this point though I am so excited for my trip that I will worry about it once i come back if she doesn't go.

Unfortunately, unless you have cancel for any reason insurance, I don't think it will pay for this. She would need to have a valid reason not to go. :eek:

I am not a lawyer and all my legal expertise comes from watching The People's Court and Judge Judy, but save all your emails and correspondence from her. Especially if you have something in writing that says your niece can go. Send her an email stating that you need the travel letter signed now. If she refuses, or does not sign, that would work in your favor. If your niece does not go, send a certified letter stating your expenses for your niece and a date when you expect payment. If you don't get payment, file in small claims. Otherwise, enjoy the cruise and maybe bring your niece something special back from one of the ports for her good work at school.

Ok cool thanks. I am still working on her to get it signed. I haven't given up yet but we will see. I did purchase the trip insurance. So if she doesn't come I will wait until we get there to tell them.

If you purchased the insurance through the cruise line and your niece can't go on the cruise you will be refunded for 75% of her cruise fare under the cancel for any reason clause. You must cancel first, if even the day before, and then contact the insurance company. They will email the paperwork for you to download and you can mail it in. The refund comes pretty quickly. If you booked through a travel agent, call them to cancel and they will inform the insurance company.

You will also be refunded for taxes and port charges, any prepaid gratuities and of course any prepaid on board options. These refunds will happen automatically to your credit card as soon as you cancel.

I hope your neice gets to go, but as long as you bought the cruise line insurance you will only be out 25% of what you paid for her cruise fare if she doesn't go. Just remember to actually cancel and inform the insurance company.

Hey Everyone,

I am going on my first cruise ever in 6 days! We will be on the Allure of the Seas for 7 nights. YAY! I'm so excited! However, we were bringing my 11 year old niece on the cruise with us. Long story short her mom all of a sudden is being a butt hole and has been avoiding signing the travel letter for her to go. So if I can't get it signed obviously she will not be going with us so should I call Royal Caribbean and let them know she will not be coming or should I just show up and tell them when we check in? I know i won't have money coming back obviously, but I'm not going to let anything ruin my trip I am still going to have a blast!! I just don't know which way to go about doing it. :D

Is she the second passenger or the third or fourth passenger in a cabin?

It makes a difference.

Is she the second passenger or the third or fourth passenger in a cabin?

It makes a difference.

Even for thirds, once they enter the full penalty phase, (less than 14 days) they lose their cruise fare.

Just wondering: Why is her mom being a butt hole and not signing the document? Is it because you're not taking her mom on the cruise too...?

That is just her personality here lately. She is fine with things one minute and then not fine with things the next. She isn't interested in traveling so she wouldn't want to go.

The 75% credit is just that - a future credit towards another cruise. No refund.

Are you lucky enough to have the same name? I take my nieces often on trips, but we have the same last name and no one ever asks any questions. You do need to worry about medical emergency authorization though. Port people really don't care. I have a cousin whose baby daddy is in jail and for a very long time for a very bad crime, but some very stupid judge would not grant sole custody. I am not saying it's a good idea, but she has a fake document, but never has been asked to show it on 3 different cruises.

I'm wondering if there is a way you could make it a good thing for her to let her daughter go? Is she worried that the favourite aunt/uncle will be more loved than she is? Is she anxious that something bad might happen? Have you tried any psychological approaches - perhaps a call from every port or even every day?

Your comment that she is fine one minute and not the next makes me wonder.

If I had agreed to let my child travel I would not go back on that but I can understand that there might be some anxiety happening.

Edited by lucymorgan