Formal night attire for teen boy?

moongal

Going on 2nd cruise soon and taking my 17 yo son this time. Are jeans not allowed on the MDR on elegant night? He doesn't own khakis, and wears jeans every where.

He has the one nice suit for special occasions but I REEEALLY don't want to lug all that along just for 1 meal. (And no, we don't want to eat at Lido)

Would jeans with nice button down shirt and tie be ok? He also doesn't own any polo or golf type shirts. Those are "old man" shirts according to his group.

Didn't worry about elegant night with daughter as she was super excited to go all out like she was going to the queens ball, but 17 yo son a different story.

Any suggestions for teen boys elegant attire? Will he be turned away if in jeans? Btw, he is 6'0" 225 lbs and looks way older than he is, so he will definitely be considered adult looking....I'm guessing younger kids might have a little more leeway with their attire.

Thanks

Per the Carnival website FAQs, it says jeans are not allowed in the MDR during elegant night. I don't know if because he is legally a minor, if that would matter....would buying a pair of khakis be an option? I guess you could call Carnival prior to sailing to get confirmation

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Without being the fashion police, wouldn't it be nice if parents looked to enforce the rules on their children. Your teenage son will soon be leaving the nest and a good example would be a lot better than a way to skim the rules. Of course, someone isn't going to fault you or stop you for "your" interpretation of the rules. Only one knows if they have passed on the right meanings in life to their own. Hopefully the guy at the next table in the tuxedo t-shirt and billybob teeth won't put him down for wearing jeans.

I have a teenage son and we're frequent cruisers. He always wears khakis or dress pants on elegant nights with a polo or button up shirt. That seems to be the norm of what teen boys wear on elegant nights. There are plenty of "cool" shirts and khakis out there. He'd probably prefer not to also but knows that's how you are supposed to dress.

While the jeans might be allowed, they are inappropriate for elegant night. Appropriate attire is something parents should enforce. He can always change immediately after the meal. Khakis don't cost much. They can be found at Target or Old Navy for about $20.

LOL, it's probably not about the money, more about whether it's worth the battle. My guess is that while not "proper," he wouldn't be turned away, but I'm also thinking that as much as he hates wearing "old people" clothes, he will have a need to re-wear that pair of khakis in the next couple of years. Jacket is not necessary if he's going basic.

I think selling him on the fact that girls (or if needed, other boys) will be all decked out might be a "cute" way to cajoling him into following grown up rules.

We've cruised since my daughter was 3, and we've always enforced the dress code with her, so of course it's a lot easier. But you're right, girls, for the most part, are excited about having an occasion to wear nice clothes. Plus it'll make for a beautiful family photo (okay, that might be a better sell).

Good luck :)

how embarrassing would it be to be turned away at the door? Your the parent, tell him he needs to follow the rules or order room service or eat in the Lido Deck. Dockers (or the like) are not in any way old people pants. I am sure he has several button down shirts (not Hawaiian or golf). You do not need a tie. I never wear a jacket or a tie.

LOL, it's probably not about the money, more about whether it's worth the battle. My guess is that while not "proper," he wouldn't be turned away, but I'm also thinking that as much as he hates wearing "old people" clothes, he will have a need to re-wear that pair of khakis in the next couple of years. Jacket is not necessary if he's going basic.

I think selling him on the fact that girls (or if needed, other boys) will be all decked out might be a "cute" way to cajoling him into following grown up rules.

We've cruised since my daughter was 3, and we've always enforced the dress code with her, so of course it's a lot easier. But you're right, girls, for the most part, are excited about having an occasion to wear nice clothes. Plus it'll make for a beautiful family photo (okay, that might be a better sell).

Good luck :)

good points

My oldest is fine with wearing dress pants, button down shirt and a tie for elegant night. However, my youngest only wears jeans, when it comes to long pants. I compromised with him wearing a pair of black jeans with a nice button down shirt and tie. To be honest, no one even gave him a second glance. Next month, he's going to wear black jeans, button down shirt and tie again for elegant night when we're on the Sunshine. If you're son is adamant about wearing jeans, maybe black could work for him too. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

I am a firm believer of teaching children that rules should be followed, and it doesn't matter if everyone else in the room chooses not to, it's important to respect the process. If they don't like a rule, work to change it, but don't blatantly disregard it. As other has said, bring his dress pants that go with his suit and a nice dress shirt, OR, buy a pair of khakis and a nice polo shirt...which would be in compliance. If he doesn't want to do/wear these things, he's old enough to eat alone on the lido deck for one night.

I'm also going to add, that as a parent of a now grown man, I would pick and choose my battles, but in this case this is not a battle that I would back down on. They would be dressed following the dress code.

Jeans are allowed in the MDR on Elegant night ... Jeans and polo shirts are becoming the norm ...

Directly from the Carnival website:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Edited by First and Ten

The teenage girts do get dressed nicely for Elegant Night. Please teach your young daughters that young men who put out the same amount of effort are the young men who are worth the effort.

Hmmm... I teach my boys not to judge a book by it's cover, substance is what really matters.

Khakis and a button down shirt are the minimum.

Nothing wrong with him eating in the buffet that night.

What about shoes?

Black sneakers work for all occasions.

My oldest is fine with wearing dress pants, button down shirt and a tie for elegant night. However, my youngest only wears jeans, when it comes to long pants. I compromised with him wearing a pair of black jeans with a nice button down shirt and tie. To be honest, no one even gave him a second glance. Next month, he's going to wear black jeans, button down shirt and tie again for elegant night when we're on the Sunshine. If you're son is adamant about wearing jeans, maybe black could work for him too. Good luck!

This is a serious question, I in no way mean disrespect, but as a parent I want to understand....I am assuming your youngest is under 18 yrs old....I am not getting this "negotiating thingy". Just to clarify, do you mean to tell me if you tell him no jeans, put on pants, the first words out of his mouth isn't "yes mom"?

Edited by First and Ten

This is a serious question, I in no way mean disrespect, but as a parent I want to understand....I am assuming your youngest is under 18 yrs old....I am not getting this "negotiating thingy". Just to clarify, do you mean to tell me if you tell him no jeans, put on pants, the first words out of his mouth isn't "yes mom"?

:) That was my exact thought as well. That's why my pick and choose my battle comment. My son is 29 now so it's not like I have no idea what it's like have a teen boy (also have two grown daughters as well)

I am not getting this "negotiating thingy". Just to clarify, do you mean to tell me if you tell him no jeans, put on pants, the first words out of his mouth isn't "yes mom"?

You are absolutely 100% correct. In many households including mine.

The website does not match the Funtimes on the ships. On the ships Jeans are allowed on Elegant night. Check any Funtimes from 2016 and you will see there is NO prohibition on jeans on Elegant night. You don't have to negotiate anything

The website is out of date.

Edited by LMaxwell