Help me pick a cruise please!

Blondie0428

I am booking tomorrow and haven't made up my mind yet. Here are the options:

Magic- leaves from Port Canaveral and goes to Amber Cove, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk. Two at sea days

Glory - leaves from Miami and goes to Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk. Two at sea days.

Both leave on the same day and are both 7 days. The difference in itinerary is just HMC and AC. I also noticed that Glory will dock at 11:00 in Grand Turk and Magic will dock at 12:00.

Which would you pick???

That's a tough one. They are both nice itineraries.

Personally, I'd pick Magic because I've never sailed her nor been to AC. Those are purely subjective reasons. I'd also do the Glory cruise in a heartbeat. HMC is awesome.

Are they priced the same?

Edited by VASOXFANN

I'd go with the Magic. Newer, larger ship, and it sails from Port Canaveral (which I personally prefer over Miami). Many will tell you how beautiful Half Moon Cay is, but at the end of the day its just another beach day at a private island. Amber Cove is a brand new port of call and its the gateway to the vast region of the Domincan Republic's north shore.You will have many more and diverse options here than at Half Moon Cay.

What's your travel situation? Flying or driving?

Prices about the same?

Personally I would do Magic. New ship for me, love HMC (but it is tender port, so could be missed), other ports are the same, port is a closer drive.

I am booking tomorrow and haven't made up my mind yet. Here are the options:

Magic- leaves from Port Canaveral and goes to Amber Cove, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk. Two at sea days

Glory - leaves from Miami and goes to Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk. Two at sea days.

Both leave on the same day and are both 7 days. The difference in itinerary is just HMC and AC. I also noticed that Glory will dock at 11:00 in Grand Turk and Magic will dock at 12:00.

Which would you pick???

Half Moon Cay is in The Bahamas. Both Grand Turk and The Bahamas have no reported cases of Zika virus yet according to the CDC website. Dominican Republic where Amber Cove is has reported cases of Zika. Both Puerto Rico (San Juan) and St. Thomas (USVI) have reported cases of Zika.

I don't know if that matters to you but thought I'd mention it--especially if you plan to take excursions in areas of dense vegetation where mosquitos are more likely. Amber Cove has a lot of vegetation.

That being said, the most popular excursions for HMC and AC are the beach cabanas at HMC and the pool cabanas at AC. Both tend to sell out way in advance, but being able to book either of those would be great.

I agree with the post that says sailing from Port Canaveral if better than sailing from Miami. I hate flying into MIA since they expanded the airport. The last time I flew into MIA after the expansion, it seemed like I had to walk for miles to the gate and to baggage claim, and airport signage is very poor making it easy to get lost.

Both of your itineraries look great though. I don't think you could wrong with either one.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/active-countries.html

http://www.ambercove.com/Media-Gallery.aspx

The difference in itineraries comes down to Amber Cove vs. Half Moon Cay.

If you want a cookie cutter Carnival enclosed shopping mall go to AC. If you like a pristine beach with clear aqua blue, go to HMC.

If the ship is important to you, then go with the Magic, it's my current fav until I sail the Vista.

I prefer MIA over Canaveral since I fly in the morning of the cruise and can be unpacked and out on Lido deck for lunch by noon. Canaveral is, like Galveston, way too far from an airport for me. Tried it a few times, just takes too darn long to get to the ship after my flight.

If Zika/dengue/chikungunya are concerns, it would be well to listen to the advice given above.

For me, Magic.

Much newer ship with a lot more on board options. I'll take Port Canaveral over Miami any time. And we enjoy exploring actual countries with actual locals that have an actual culture. Much preferred to a "private island".

Itinerary: Glory - HMC is amazing! One of the best beach days ever! And if I ever get back there, I'm getting me one of those cabanas! From what I've read, AC is just a commercialized cruise port geared to make the cruiseline money.

Ship: Magic - never been on the Magic, but it is newer with more bells and whistles. That being said, I was on the Glory a few years ago and she was still in great shape. Not sure if she's had any upgrades since then. She didn't have Guys, Blue Iguana or Red Frog when I sailed her last.

Home Port: Miami - I think Miami is so easy. You have a lot of airline options with both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. And I think the Port of Miami has boarding and disembarkation down to a science. I've done Canaveral twice. I don't find the driving between Orlando and Port Canaveral to be appealing. And the port just seems to be a cluster (in my limited experience). Once, we dropped off our rental car at the rental office which was less than a mile from the Port and it took us over an hour to get back to the Port on the rental company's shuttle. We waited 30 minutes for a shuttle and then traffic in/around the port was stop and go the whole way.

I think the remaining factors would really be cost and traveling to the home port. Is one home port more cost beneficial to you? If not, I would vote for the Glory.

I'd most likely do "Magic", if for no other reason, the home port of Port Canaveral is so much easier. Either would be GREAT, but once again, "Magic" is bigger, newer, and has more activities for the passenger. ;)

"SKY"

If Zika/dengue/chikungunya are concerns, it would be well to listen to the advice given above.

We cruised to San Juan in May. We also spent 8 days in Puerto Rico a few weeks ago. The reports of Zika, while real, have been blown way out of proportion. Your chances of catching it is something in the vicinity of .001%, and that's assuming that you don't take any precautions.

We went prepared, applied insect repellent multiple times a day, and didn't refrain from any of the activities that we normally participate in. Zika may be in the news now, but mosquito-borne illnesses have always been a part of life throughout the Caribbean. But the average cruiser doesn't even give it a second thought because its a topic that, normally, is not given airtime on TV.

Locally, the media is trying to undo some of the damage that the exaggerated reports have created by launching tourism campaigns that more accurately frame the scope of the situation.

If you want a cookie cutter Carnival enclosed shopping mall go to AC. If you like a pristine beach with clear aqua blue, go to HMC.

Yes, the welcome center at Amber Cove is yet another cruise line built tourist trap, but it's what's beyond the welcome center what makes this destination much more diverse and fascinating than half moon cay. If the OP Is planning on just lounging by the beach, then yes, Half Moon is the better choice. But if they want something more than that, Amber Cove will definitely offer much more (assuming that they explore beyond the welcome center).

Edited by Tapi

The difference in itineraries comes down to Amber Cove vs. Half Moon Cay.

One potential problem with HMC is that it is a tender port. I took the Glory cruise you cite a few years ago, and our stop at HMC was cancelled due to high winds and replaced by another 'Fun Day At Sea'. Other than that, the cruise, like any cruise vacation, was fantastic. Just something to consider...

Thanks for all the info so far but let me put another option into the mix. We could also wait until next summer to go on the Vista. It would be a 6 day from Miami going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

Cost isn't a factor and neither is flight. Based on itinerary and ships. Which would you choose now? Magic, Glory, or Vista?

Which would you choose now? Magic, Glory, or Vista?

shorter cruise with a stop in Jamaica? Meh

Still leaning towards the Magic. While Vista is the newest, the Magic is new enough. The Vista will be just slightly larger and although it will have some new things, they are nothing that would hold me back from cruising for a year.

Edited by Tapi

If I were given those options I would go with the Magic, even though I love HMC and have had two GREAT cruises on the Glory. Can't really go wrong with either. I will eventually cruise on the Vista, but it won't be on the 6 day Western itinerary.